Firefox nannies by stopping weird port access

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Joel Rubin, Oct 15, 2004.

  1. Joel Rubin

    Joel Rubin Guest

    MSIE and Cygwin Lynx were able to open the phishing site

    http://64.170.67.162:87/st/confirm.htm

    but Firefox told me that port 87 had been disabled for security
    reasons.

    (Is there an option to shut this off? It may be a good option for
    newbies but I want to choose how much protection I have.)

    By the way, I notice that whereas the phish spam said I was getting
    email from Sun Trust, in Atlanta, the window said it was copyrighted
    by MNBA in Buffalo.

    If you're going to steal by fraud you probably ought to dot the i's
    and cross the t's. I notice a lot of phish spam screws something up.
    For example, one had day/month/year "from" an American bank whereas
    Americans almost all do month/day/year.

    Joel Rubin, Oct 15, 2004

  2. Joel Rubin

    why? Guest

    On Fri, 15 Oct 2004 13:43:12 GMT, Joel Rubin wrote:

    >MSIE and Cygwin Lynx were able to open the phishing site
    >
    >http://64.170.67.162:87/st/confirm.htm
    >
    >but Firefox told me that port 87 had been disabled for security
    >reasons.
    >
    >(Is there an option to shut this off? It may be a good option for
    >newbies but I want to choose how much protection I have.)

    Yes.

    There is a cert.org article for cross-protocol scripting, worth a read.

    See the mozilla notes for editing the .js settings file to allow ports.

    www.google.com will find both for you.

    <snip>

    Me

    why?, Oct 15, 2004