Firefox, Mozilla, Netscape, not the safest way to go [STICKY]

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Uplink, Dec 19, 2005.

  1. Uplink

    Uplink Guest

    I use my local library computers in town, and when I go on them, they
    are really secure, no changing settings, no history, cookies, very
    limited. Lots of people say that Firefox, and Netscape is much safer
    than IE. IE is included with Windows and is built in with windows
    security. I type in the address bar in IE

    C:\

    It says something along the Lines of "You cannot go to this directory,
    it has been locked. Contact administrator for access privliges".\

    I use Netscape Navigator:

    C:\

    gets me a list of the windows directory, I could not run many files but
    could delete them If I wanted to

    Just to let you know that Internet Explorer is better than Netscape,
    Firefox, and Mozilla.

    It has it's bugs, but is safer in certain limitations!

    Uplink, Dec 19, 2005

  2. Uplink

    Bald Eagle Guest

    On 19 Dec 2005 12:32:41 -0800, "Uplink" <> wrote:

    >I use my local library computers in town, and when I go on them, they
    >are really secure, no changing settings, no history, cookies, very
    >limited. Lots of people say that Firefox, and Netscape is much safer
    >than IE. IE is included with Windows and is built in with windows
    >security. I type in the address bar in IE
    >
    >C:\
    >
    >It says something along the Lines of "You cannot go to this directory,
    >it has been locked. Contact administrator for access privliges".\
    >
    >I use Netscape Navigator:
    >
    >C:\
    >
    >gets me a list of the windows directory, I could not run many files but
    >could delete them If I wanted to
    >
    >Just to let you know that Internet Explorer is better than Netscape,
    >Firefox, and Mozilla.
    >
    >It has it's bugs, but is safer in certain limitations!

    I would like it if you would expand on that thought.

    Bald Eagle, Dec 20, 2005

  3. Uplink

    JTJersey Guest

    On Mon, 19 Dec 2005 12:32:41 -0800, Uplink wrote:

    > I use my local library computers in town, and when I go on them, they
    > are really secure, no changing settings, no history, cookies, very
    > limited. Lots of people say that Firefox, and Netscape is much safer
    > than IE. IE is included with Windows and is built in with windows
    > security. I type in the address bar in IE
    >
    > C:\
    >
    > It says something along the Lines of "You cannot go to this directory,
    > it has been locked. Contact administrator for access privliges".\
    >
    > I use Netscape Navigator:
    >
    > C:\
    >
    > gets me a list of the windows directory, I could not run many files but
    > could delete them If I wanted to
    >
    > Just to let you know that Internet Explorer is better than Netscape,
    > Firefox, and Mozilla.
    >
    > It has it's bugs, but is safer in certain limitations!

    I'm afraid you have no idea what your talking about.
    --
    Registered Linux User #267152

    JTJersey, Dec 20, 2005
  4. Uplink

    Uplink Guest

    JTJersey wrote:
    > On Mon, 19 Dec 2005 12:32:41 -0800, Uplink wrote:
    >
    > > I use my local library computers in town, and when I go on them, they
    > > are really secure, no changing settings, no history, cookies, very
    > > limited. Lots of people say that Firefox, and Netscape is much safer
    > > than IE. IE is included with Windows and is built in with windows
    > > security. I type in the address bar in IE
    > >
    > > C:\
    > >
    > > It says something along the Lines of "You cannot go to this directory,
    > > it has been locked. Contact administrator for access privliges".\
    > >
    > > I use Netscape Navigator:
    > >
    > > C:\
    > >
    > > gets me a list of the windows directory, I could not run many files but
    > > could delete them If I wanted to
    > >
    > > Just to let you know that Internet Explorer is better than Netscape,
    > > Firefox, and Mozilla.
    > >
    > > It has it's bugs, but is safer in certain limitations!

    > I'm afraid you have no idea what your talking about.

    No idea what I'm talking about, eh? Well I think YOU have no idea what
    you talking about. I'm just saying that someone could destory computers
    that have certain privliges and have more than on browser, like
    netscape

    Uplink, Dec 20, 2005
  5. Uplink

    derek / nul Guest

    Gidday uplink,

    What you define as better is not at all.
    ie has been secured by policy, netscape has not.

    There is nothing better about it.

    derek / nul, Dec 20, 2005
  6. Uplink

    Fakename Guest

    They're vulnerable because they didn't impliment their security very well.

    File system level permissions would be the choice way to go. And if
    they had hired me that's what I would have set up for them; then it
    woulnd't matter what program you used, firefox/mozilla included.

    You my friend just don't know as much about the situation as you think
    you do.

    Fakename, Dec 20, 2005
  7. Uplink

    Guest

    Uplink wrote:

    > I use my local library computers in town, and when I go on them, they
    > are really secure, no changing settings, no history, cookies, very
    > limited. Lots of people say that Firefox, and Netscape is much safer
    > than IE. IE is included with Windows and is built in with windows
    > security. I type in the address bar in IE
    >
    > C:\
    >
    > It says something along the Lines of "You cannot go to this directory,
    > it has been locked. Contact administrator for access privliges".\
    >
    > I use Netscape Navigator:
    >
    > C:\
    >
    > gets me a list of the windows directory, I could not run many files but
    > could delete them If I wanted to
    >
    > Just to let you know that Internet Explorer is better than Netscape,
    > Firefox, and Mozilla.
    >
    > It has it's bugs, but is safer in certain limitations!

    I'm going to say its not safer. Firefox won't run activeX controls which is
    a very common way people get spyware. Second, if the system administrator
    at that library knew what they were doing they would have the file
    permissions on critical files set so the typical user doesn't have the
    ability to write to them (which includes deleting), and third if what you
    are saying is true it shows how unsecure windows is.

    http://www.usenet.com

    , Dec 23, 2005