    Anyone know what to do? I could try reinstalling FF I guess, but would
    prefer a fix first.

    Thanks

    anthonyberet, Feb 10, 2008

  2. anthonyberet

    richard Guest

    On Sun, 10 Feb 2008 17:45:45 +0000, anthonyberet <>
    wrote:

    >I have Googled this a fair amount, and checked the Mozilla support
    >forums, but the only similar-sounding problem I found anyone having was
    >suffered by an OSX user. I am running Firefox on XP SP2.
    >Basically, on certain pages the text will not wrap at the far right and
    >hangs off the edge of the window. It can also be messily overlapping in
    >places. This only happens on certian sites which render fine in IE7.
    >
    >Has anything like this been reported in 24HSHD?
    >
    >Anyone know what to do? I could try reinstalling FF I guess, but would
    >prefer a fix first.
    >
    >Thanks

    If it's only some pages, not all, I would suspect the actual coding.

    A link or two might help solve the problem.

    richard, Feb 10, 2008

  3. anthonyberet

    Guest

    anthonyberet <> wrote:

    >I have Googled this a fair amount, and checked the Mozilla support
    >forums, but the only similar-sounding problem I found anyone having was
    >suffered by an OSX user. I am running Firefox on XP SP2.
    >Basically, on certain pages the text will not wrap at the far right and
    >hangs off the edge of the window. It can also be messily overlapping in
    >places. This only happens on certian sites which render fine in IE7.
    >
    >Has anything like this been reported in 24HSHD?
    >
    >Anyone know what to do? I could try reinstalling FF I guess, but would
    >prefer a fix first.

    When a web page looks bad or unviewable in Opera, I toggle author
    mode/user mode. (Shift+G)

    Might try Alt+V-Y-N - View, page StYle, No style
    closest I've found in FireFox.
    --

    Flintstone bike
    http://download3.free.fr/picolbon/motobois/motobois2.jpg

    , Feb 10, 2008
  4. anthonyberet

    richard Guest

    On Sun, 10 Feb 2008 10:27:58 -0800, wrote:

    > anthonyberet <> wrote:
    >
    >>I have Googled this a fair amount, and checked the Mozilla support
    >>forums, but the only similar-sounding problem I found anyone having was
    >>suffered by an OSX user. I am running Firefox on XP SP2.
    >>Basically, on certain pages the text will not wrap at the far right and
    >>hangs off the edge of the window. It can also be messily overlapping in
    >>places. This only happens on certian sites which render fine in IE7.
    >>
    >>Has anything like this been reported in 24HSHD?
    >>
    >>Anyone know what to do? I could try reinstalling FF I guess, but would
    >>prefer a fix first.

    >When a web page looks bad or unviewable in Opera, I toggle author
    >mode/user mode. (Shift+G)
    >
    >Might try Alt+V-Y-N - View, page StYle, No style
    >closest I've found in FireFox.

    What that does is basically kills the css formatting.
    I tried it on my site's page and instead of showing it formatted, it
    just showed one long list of stuff.
    Might come in handy for some really gawdy sites.
    try it on msn.com and see what happens.

    richard, Feb 10, 2008
  5. anthonyberet wrote:

    > Ihave Googled this a fair amount, and checked the Mozilla support
    > forums, but the only similar-sounding problem I found anyone having
    > was suffered by an OSX user. I am running Firefox on XP SP2.
    > Basically, on certain pages the text will not wrap at the far right
    > and hangs off the edge of the window. It can also be messily
    > overlapping in places. This only happens on certian sites which
    > render fine in IE7.
    >
    > Has anything like this been reported in 24HSHD?

    Not likely. This is a general group, and not specific to browser issues.

    > Anyone know what to do? I could try reinstalling FF I guess, but
    > would prefer a fix first.

    How about providing a URL to a page that exhibits this 'problem' so
    someone can see if the page is actually coded poorly, rather than blame
    it on a superior browser.

    --
    -bts
    -Friends don't let friends drive Vista

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Feb 10, 2008
  6. anthonyberet

    Guest

    richard <> wrote:

    >On Sun, 10 Feb 2008 10:27:58 -0800, wrote:
    >
    >> anthonyberet <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>I have Googled this a fair amount, and checked the Mozilla support
    >>>forums, but the only similar-sounding problem I found anyone having was
    >>>suffered by an OSX user. I am running Firefox on XP SP2.
    >>>Basically, on certain pages the text will not wrap at the far right and
    >>>hangs off the edge of the window. It can also be messily overlapping in
    >>>places. This only happens on certian sites which render fine in IE7.
    >>>
    >>>Has anything like this been reported in 24HSHD?
    >>>
    >>>Anyone know what to do? I could try reinstalling FF I guess, but would
    >>>prefer a fix first.

    >>When a web page looks bad or unviewable in Opera, I toggle author
    >>mode/user mode. (Shift+G)
    >>
    >>Might try Alt+V-Y-N - View, page StYle, No style
    >>closest I've found in FireFox.

    >What that does is basically kills the css formatting.
    >I tried it on my site's page and instead of showing it formatted, it
    >just showed one long list of stuff.
    >Might come in handy for some really gawdy sites.
    >try it on msn.com and see what happens.

    I use it a lot on the smoking gun because of that puke green
    background.
    http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive/years/2008/0207082jena1.html
    --

    Fascism
    http://www.fivefourteen.net/motivational-posters/fascism.jpg

    , Feb 10, 2008
  7. anthonyberet wrote:

    > I have Googled this a fair amount, and checked the Mozilla support
    > forums, but the only similar-sounding problem I found anyone having was
    > suffered by an OSX user. I am running Firefox on XP SP2.
    > Basically, on certain pages the text will not wrap at the far right and
    > hangs off the edge of the window. It can also be messily overlapping in
    > places. This only happens on certian sites which render fine in IE7.
    >
    > Has anything like this been reported in 24HSHD?
    >
    > Anyone know what to do? I could try reinstalling FF I guess, but would
    > prefer a fix first.

    Probably just bad code. Use sites that are better written.

    --
    Blinky
    Killing all posts from Google Groups

    Blinky the Shark, Feb 11, 2008
  8. anthonyberet <> wrote in news:618rigF1tn8tmU1
    @mid.individual.net:

    > Has anything like this been reported in 24HSHD?

    No, but they discuss in the Firefox Support Group.

    nttp://news.mozilla.org/mozilla.support.firefox

    --
    }:) Christopher Jahn
    {:-( http://soflatheatre.blogspot.com/

    He lived in such a low room he could only eat pancakes.

    Christopher Jahn, Feb 11, 2008
  9. Christopher Jahn wrote:

    > anthonyberet <> wrote in news:618rigF1tn8tmU1
    > @mid.individual.net:
    >

    >> Has anything like this been reported in 24HSHD?

    > No, but they discuss in the Firefox Support Group.
    >
    > nttp://news.mozilla.org/mozilla.support.firefox

    A better link:

    nntp://news.mozilla.org/mozilla.support.firefox

    Blinky the Shark, Feb 11, 2008
  10. anthonyberet

    anthonyberet Guest

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
    > anthonyberet wrote:
    >
    >> Ihave Googled this a fair amount, and checked the Mozilla support
    >> forums, but the only similar-sounding problem I found anyone having
    >> was suffered by an OSX user. I am running Firefox on XP SP2.
    >> Basically, on certain pages the text will not wrap at the far right
    >> and hangs off the edge of the window. It can also be messily
    >> overlapping in places. This only happens on certian sites which
    >> render fine in IE7.
    >>
    >> Has anything like this been reported in 24HSHD?

    > Not likely. This is a general group, and not specific to browser issues.

    Ah but that is why it is likely. Nothing is offtopic here (tinh) except
    spam :)

    >> Anyone know what to do? I could try reinstalling FF I guess, but
    >> would prefer a fix first.

    > How about providing a URL to a page that exhibits this 'problem' so
    > someone can see if the page is actually coded poorly, rather than blame
    > it on a superior browser.

    Typically it then took ages for it to occur again!
    This page renders fine in IE, but the text hangs off to the right in FF
    for me:

    http://www.ccsr.cse.dmu.ac.uk/resources/general/ethicol/Ecv12no1.html

    It might be poor coding. That isn't much of a solution though sadly. I
    suppose I will have to start mailing the webmasters if so...

    anthonyberet, Feb 14, 2008
  11. anthonyberet

    anthonyberet Guest

    Blinky the Shark wrote:
    > Christopher Jahn wrote:
    >
    >> anthonyberet <> wrote in news:618rigF1tn8tmU1
    >> @mid.individual.net:
    >>
    >>> Has anything like this been reported in 24HSHD?

    >> No, but they discuss in the Firefox Support Group.
    >>
    >> nttp://news.mozilla.org/mozilla.support.firefox

    > A better link:
    >
    > nntp://news.mozilla.org/mozilla.support.firefox

    Thanks for that (and to Christopher).
    I will repost my problem there.

    anthonyberet, Feb 14, 2008
  12. anthonyberet

    Guest

    , Feb 14, 2008
  13. anthonyberet

    anthonyberet Guest

    anthonyberet, Feb 14, 2008
  14. anthonyberet

    why? Guest

    On Thu, 14 Feb 2008 19:35:31 +0000, anthonyberet wrote:

    >Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
    >> anthonyberet wrote:
    >>
    >>> Ihave Googled this a fair amount, and checked the Mozilla support
    >>> forums, but the only similar-sounding problem I found anyone having
    >>> was suffered by an OSX user. I am running Firefox on XP SP2.
    >>> Basically, on certain pages the text will not wrap at the far right

    If it's told not to wrap for some reason and some other brand forces a
    wrap because it wants to rather then for another reason :)

    >>> and hangs off the edge of the window. It can also be messily
    >>> overlapping in places. This only happens on certian sites which
    >>> render fine in IE7.
    >>>
    >>> Has anything like this been reported in 24HSHD?

    Maybe, have to looked?

    >> Not likely. This is a general group, and not specific to browser issues.
    >>

    >Ah but that is why it is likely. Nothing is offtopic here (tinh) except
    >spam :)

    There is alt.html where browser quirks are often discussed which makes
    it more on topic than a general group.

    >>> Anyone know what to do? I could try reinstalling FF I guess, but
    >>> would prefer a fix first.

    Why would a reinstall fix a, likely to be rendering issue?

    >> How about providing a URL to a page that exhibits this 'problem' so
    >> someone can see if the page is actually coded poorly, rather than blame
    >> it on a superior browser.
    >>

    >Typically it then took ages for it to occur again!
    >This page renders fine in IE, but the text hangs off to the right in FF
    >for me:

    What ver of FF?

    >http://www.ccsr.cse.dmu.ac.uk/resources/general/ethicol/Ecv12no1.html

    What about a small screen shot showing the issue?

    Ok in SM 1.1.8, FF 2.0.0.9, Opera 9.20 on Win XP Pro SP2, also okay in
    Moz 1.7 on Solaris 10 x86.

    >It might be poor coding. That isn't much of a solution though sadly. I

    Then check it yourself,

    http://validator.w3.org/
    paste in the site URL.

    http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=h...(detect automatically)&doctype=Inline&group=0
    This page is not Valid XHTML 1.0 Transitional!
    Result: Failed validation, 5 Errors

    IE6 wont even load XHTML served correctly, it wants to save the page as
    a file. Don't have IE7 up just now.

    They are identifying the content as text/html and rendering the page as
    XHTML 1.0 Trans doctype.

    As I say IE has issues, and I only use application/xhtml+xml with valid
    XHTML pages. Anything that isn't stays at text/plain and HTML 4.01
    Strict usually.

    You may want to read
    http://www.w3.org/TR/2002/NOTE-xhtml-media-types-20020801/

    Raw page fetch,
    02/14/08 21:14:38 Browsing
    http://www.ccsr.cse.dmu.ac.uk/resources/general/ethicol/Ecv12no1.html
    Fetching
    http://www.ccsr.cse.dmu.ac.uk/resources/general/ethicol/Ecv12no1.html
    GET /resources/general/ethicol/Ecv12no1.html HTTP/1.1
    Host: www.ccsr.cse.dmu.ac.uk
    Connection: close
    Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2008 21:24:24 GMT
    Server: Apache/2.0.49 (Linux/SuSE)
    Last-Modified: Wed, 02 Jan 2008 11:39:04 GMT
    ETag: "94731-2ac3-b96ba600"
    Accept-Ranges: bytes
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

    The xml version line says encoding UTF-8 while the HTTP is saying
    ISO-8859-1

    Might want to try, http://browsershots.org/ for checking in other
    browsers.

    >suppose I will have to start mailing the webmasters if so...

    It's possible there is an issue in IE quirks mode, loading from a proxy,
    rendering issue due to bug in code, slow link.

    I am seeing A with an acute (IIRC) in the address, seems odd as well but
    there are lots of them.

    Me

    why?, Feb 14, 2008
  15. anthonyberet <> wrote in

    >> How about providing a URL to a page that exhibits this
    >> 'problem' so someone can see if the page is actually coded
    >> poorly, rather than blame it on a superior browser.
    >>

    > Typically it then took ages for it to occur again!
    > This page renders fine in IE, but the text hangs off to the
    > right in FF for me:
    >
    > http://www.ccsr.cse.dmu.ac.uk/resources/general/ethicol/Ecv12no
    > 1.html
    >
    > It might be poor coding. That isn't much of a solution though
    > sadly. I suppose I will have to start mailing the webmasters
    > if so...

    They both look more or less the same to me. Try clearing the
    cache and deleting cookies related to the site, and try it again.

    --
    }:) Christopher Jahn
    {:-( http://soflatheatre.blogspot.com/

    Okay, something here's really fucked up.

    Christopher Jahn, Feb 14, 2008
  16. anthonyberet wrote:

    > wrote:
    >> anthonyberet <> wrote:
    >>> http://www.ccsr.cse.dmu.ac.uk/resources/general/ethicol/Ecv12no1.html
    >>>
    >>> It might be poor coding. That isn't much of a solution though
    >>> sadly. I suppose I will have to start mailing the webmasters if
    >>> so...

    >> Basic HTML code, stuff I used to do with a text editor.
    >>

    > Yes - the source of this page has nothing special, and yet it renders
    > very badly for me:
    >
    > http://www.wam.umd.edu/~gerakkag/barksism.html
    >
    > Perhaps I just need to reinstall after all.

    When viewing your two examples, neither one "hangs off to the right" for
    me. Their coding is quite dissimilar, too. The CCTV page works fine with
    a browser window 'round 600 pixels wide before a horizontal scroll bar
    appears.

    The barkism page has more legible code, but both pages have errors.

    Perhaps you have set up some user option that causes what you see.

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Feb 14, 2008
  17. anthonyberet wrote:

    > Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
    >> anthonyberet wrote:
    >>
    >>> Ihave Googled this a fair amount, and checked the Mozilla support
    >>> forums, but the only similar-sounding problem I found anyone having
    >>> was suffered by an OSX user. I am running Firefox on XP SP2.
    >>> Basically, on certain pages the text will not wrap at the far right
    >>> and hangs off the edge of the window. It can also be messily
    >>> overlapping in places. This only happens on certian sites which
    >>> render fine in IE7.
    >>>
    >>> Has anything like this been reported in 24HSHD?

    >> Not likely. This is a general group, and not specific to browser issues.
    >>

    > Ah but that is why it is likely. Nothing is offtopic here (tinh) except
    > spam :)

    And why your best chances of help will come from a group *specfic* to your
    question.

    Blinky the Shark, Feb 14, 2008
  18. anthonyberet

    anthonyberet Guest

    Blinky the Shark wrote:
    > anthonyberet wrote:
    >
    >> Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:

    >>> Not likely. This is a general group, and not specific to browser issues.
    >>>

    >> Ah but that is why it is likely. Nothing is offtopic here (tinh) except
    >> spam :)

    > And why your best chances of help will come from a group *specfic* to your
    > question.

    Shouldn't you have posted that to
    24hoursupport.helpdesk.replies.pedantic.exhausting ? ;o)

    anthonyberet, Feb 16, 2008