    ram usage, at which time it starts to crash.

    Has anyone else experienced these problems, which seem to be actually worse
    with Firefox2.
    juicyjuice, Nov 11, 2006

  2. juicyjuice

    k Guest

    juicyjuice wrote:
    > I run Firefox on Windows 2003 Server, I noticed the memory leak with v1.5x
    > but thought it might be the sites I am visiting or maybe Firefox 2 will fix
    > it, but no. It is horrid, so horrid I might have to revert to earlier
    > version before 1.5 where I had no problems..
    >
    > At current I have 5 tabs open chewing 93mb of ram, now if I leave this open,
    > goto bed, wakeup tomorrow, the ram usage is higher, usually 120mb, if I
    > leave firefox open for say 3 days.. it can grow to around 150mb of physical
    > ram usage, at which time it starts to crash.
    >
    > Has anyone else experienced these problems, which seem to be actually worse
    > with Firefox2.

    old news dude, google it for the option to disable this "feature"
    k, Nov 11, 2006

  3. juicyjuice

    Guest

    k wrote:
    > juicyjuice wrote:
    > > I run Firefox on Windows 2003 Server, I noticed the memory leak with v1.5x
    > > but thought it might be the sites I am visiting or maybe Firefox 2 will fix
    > > it, but no. It is horrid, so horrid I might have to revert to earlier
    > > version before 1.5 where I had no problems..
    > >
    > > At current I have 5 tabs open chewing 93mb of ram, now if I leave this open,
    > > goto bed, wakeup tomorrow, the ram usage is higher, usually 120mb, if I
    > > leave firefox open for say 3 days.. it can grow to around 150mb of physical
    > > ram usage, at which time it starts to crash.
    > >
    > > Has anyone else experienced these problems, which seem to be actually worse
    > > with Firefox2.
    > >

    > old news dude, google it for the option to disable this "feature"

    150? Mine today actually reached 1500! I had a flash page open, and
    I've had the same problem with Adobe Reader. Could you give me a
    little more info about what to search for to fix it?
    , Nov 11, 2006
  4. In message <4555e0e3$>, juicyjuice wrote:

    > At current I have 5 tabs open chewing 93mb of ram, now if I leave this
    > open, goto bed, wakeup tomorrow, the ram usage is higher, usually 120mb,
    > if I leave firefox open for say 3 days.. it can grow to around 150mb of
    > physical ram usage, at which time it starts to crash.

    Doesn't happen on Linux.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Nov 11, 2006
  5. juicyjuice

    steve Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

    > In message <4555e0e3$>, juicyjuice wrote:
    >
    >> At current I have 5 tabs open chewing 93mb of ram, now if I leave this
    >> open, goto bed, wakeup tomorrow, the ram usage is higher, usually 120mb,
    >> if I leave firefox open for say 3 days.. it can grow to around 150mb of
    >> physical ram usage, at which time it starts to crash.

    > Doesn't happen on Linux.

    True.

    Though i don't usually leave my browser open for more than the few minutes I
    actually have it in use.

    I used to be a mainframe performance analyst and have long since grown used
    to closing programs that aren't in active use in order to free up memory
    and improve performance for those programs that are in active use.

    It just makes sense.
    steve, Nov 11, 2006
  6. On Sun, 12 Nov 2006 03:40:35 +1300, juicyjuice wrote:

    > Has anyone else experienced these problems, which seem to be actually worse
    > with Firefox2.

    No.

    I don't use M$ Windows

    Aquilegia Alyssum

    --
    "The only way Vista client and Longhorn server would make sense
    would be if [the] company was doing a 'forklift upgrade' on its
    Aquilegia Alyssum, Nov 11, 2006
  7. juicyjuice

    Invisible Guest

    On Sun, 12 Nov 2006 12:54:54 +1300, Aquilegia Alyssum
    <> wrote:

    >On Sun, 12 Nov 2006 03:40:35 +1300, juicyjuice wrote:
    >
    >> Has anyone else experienced these problems, which seem to be actually worse
    >> with Firefox2.

    >No.
    >
    >I don't use M$ Windows

    2 nyms in 2 days Ma Hog? Get a life.
    Invisible, Nov 12, 2006
  8. In message <>, steve wrote:

    > Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >
    >> In message <4555e0e3$>, juicyjuice wrote:
    >>
    >>> At current I have 5 tabs open chewing 93mb of ram, now if I leave this
    >>> open, goto bed, wakeup tomorrow, the ram usage is higher, usually 120mb,
    >>> if I leave firefox open for say 3 days.. it can grow to around 150mb of
    >>> physical ram usage, at which time it starts to crash.

    >> Doesn't happen on Linux.

    > True.
    >
    > Though i don't usually leave my browser open for more than the few minutes
    > I actually have it in use.

    I regularly leave Firefox and other apps open for days on end.

    > I used to be a mainframe performance analyst and have long since grown
    > used to closing programs that aren't in active use in order to free up
    > memory and improve performance for those programs that are in active use.

    On modern virtual-memory systems, I rely on the OS to automatically swap out
    stuff that isn't in active use and free up RAM that way.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Nov 12, 2006
  9. On Sun, 12 Nov 2006 13:15:41 +1300, Invisible wrote:

    > 2 nyms in 2 days Ma Hog? Get a life.

    Yeah - it's called deciding that I didn't like the other one, which is why
    I changed it after only a few days.

    Aquilegia Alyssum

    Aquilegia Alyssum, Nov 12, 2006
  10. On Sun, 12 Nov 2006 13:30:28 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

    > On modern virtual-memory systems, I rely on the OS to automatically swap out
    > stuff that isn't in active use and free up RAM that way.

    Since I added more RAM to my desktop box I haven't used the swapfile. :eek:)

    Aquilegia Alyssum

    Aquilegia Alyssum, Nov 12, 2006
  11. juicyjuice

    Fred Dagg Guest

    On Sun, 12 Nov 2006 13:15:41 +1300, Invisible <>
    exclaimed:

    >On Sun, 12 Nov 2006 12:54:54 +1300, Aquilegia Alyssum
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>On Sun, 12 Nov 2006 03:40:35 +1300, juicyjuice wrote:
    >>
    >>> Has anyone else experienced these problems, which seem to be actually worse
    >>> with Firefox2.

    >>No.
    >>
    >>I don't use M$ Windows
    >>

    >2 nyms in 2 days Ma Hog? Get a life.

    Yup, people caught on pretty quickly, so he had to change it again.

    I wouldn't imagine this one will last long, either.

    He's like a little kid tugging at the grownup's trouser leg, trying to
    get attention. Unfortunately, however, most of the grownups have him
    plonked.
    Fred Dagg, Nov 12, 2006
  12. juicyjuice

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Aquilegia Alyssum wrote:
    > On Sun, 12 Nov 2006 13:15:41 +1300, Invisible wrote:
    >
    > > 2 nyms in 2 days Ma Hog? Get a life.

    > Yeah - it's called deciding that I didn't like the other one, which
    > is why I changed it after only a few days.

    Nah, it's called being a clueless PITA. You should be on anti-psychotics for
    that MPD.

    Buh-bye (again)
    --
    Shaun.

    "Peace cannot be kept by force. It can only be achieved by understanding"
    Albert Einstein
    ~misfit~, Nov 12, 2006
  13. juicyjuice

    Peter Guest

    wrote:

    > 150? Mine today actually reached 1500! I had a flash page open, and
    > I've had the same problem with Adobe Reader. Could you give me a
    > little more info about what to search for to fix it?

    Maybe search on 'firefox memory leak'?
    http://kb.mozillazine.org/Memory_Leak

    Looks like there might be more than one reason for large memory use, so I
    guess it depends which one is causing you grief.

    HTH

    Peter
    Peter, Nov 12, 2006
  14. juicyjuice

    juicyjuice Guest

    Aquilegia Alyssum wrote:
    > On Sun, 12 Nov 2006 03:40:35 +1300, juicyjuice wrote:
    >
    >> Has anyone else experienced these problems, which seem to be
    >> actually worse with Firefox2.

    > No.
    >
    > I don't use M$ Windows
    >

    > Aquilegia Alyssum

    I didn't ask wether you used windows or not MaHog, so since this dosn't
    apply to you, why bother posting? Anyway don't bother replying as I am just
    about to plonk you again.
    juicyjuice, Nov 12, 2006
  15. juicyjuice

    juicyjuice Guest

    Peter wrote:
    > wrote:
    >>
    >> 150? Mine today actually reached 1500! I had a flash page open, and
    >> I've had the same problem with Adobe Reader. Could you give me a
    >> little more info about what to search for to fix it?

    > Maybe search on 'firefox memory leak'?
    > http://kb.mozillazine.org/Memory_Leak
    >
    > Looks like there might be more than one reason for large memory use,
    > so I guess it depends which one is causing you grief.
    >
    > HTH
    >
    > Peter

    Thanks Peter, good link - I'll work my way through it and see what happens
    =)
    juicyjuice, Nov 12, 2006
  16. juicyjuice

    Fred Dagg Guest

    On Sun, 12 Nov 2006 03:40:35 +1300, "juicyjuice" <>
    exclaimed:

    >I run Firefox on Windows 2003 Server, I noticed the memory leak with v1.5x
    >but thought it might be the sites I am visiting or maybe Firefox 2 will fix
    >it, but no. It is horrid, so horrid I might have to revert to earlier
    >version before 1.5 where I had no problems..
    >
    >At current I have 5 tabs open chewing 93mb of ram, now if I leave this open,
    >goto bed, wakeup tomorrow, the ram usage is higher, usually 120mb, if I
    >leave firefox open for say 3 days.. it can grow to around 150mb of physical
    >ram usage, at which time it starts to crash.
    >
    >Has anyone else experienced these problems, which seem to be actually worse
    >with Firefox2.

    This is often the problem with multi-platform open source
    applications. It is not "fun" hunting down things like memory leaks
    and writing documentation, so usually these things are very poor.

    Comes from having development performed by part-timers in the spare
    time for fun.
    Fred Dagg, Nov 12, 2006
  17. juicyjuice

    jasen Guest

    On 2006-11-11, juicyjuice <> wrote:
    > I run Firefox on Windows 2003 Server, I noticed the memory leak with v1.5x
    > but thought it might be the sites I am visiting or maybe Firefox 2 will fix
    > it, but no. It is horrid, so horrid I might have to revert to earlier
    > version before 1.5 where I had no problems..
    >
    > At current I have 5 tabs open chewing 93mb of ram, now if I leave this open,
    > goto bed, wakeup tomorrow, the ram usage is higher, usually 120mb, if I
    > leave firefox open for say 3 days.. it can grow to around 150mb of physical
    > ram usage, at which time it starts to crash.
    >
    > Has anyone else experienced these problems, which seem to be actually worse
    > with Firefox2.

    have these sites got flash or badly written javascript?

    --

    Bye.
    Jasen
    jasen, Nov 12, 2006
  18. juicyjuice

    richms Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    > In message <4555e0e3$>, juicyjuice wrote:
    >
    > > At current I have 5 tabs open chewing 93mb of ram, now if I leave this
    > > open, goto bed, wakeup tomorrow, the ram usage is higher, usually 120mb,
    > > if I leave firefox open for say 3 days.. it can grow to around 150mb of
    > > physical ram usage, at which time it starts to crash.

    > Doesn't happen on Linux.

    Thats not what I have heard from others, in any case, 150 megs would be
    a dream for me, I often have it hit 2 gigs and even when I end task it
    (exiting is futile since it just thrashes the disk for a goot 2-3 mins)
    the whole machine is sluggish till the other apps swap back in.

    its insane that the firefox guys cannot make a browser that can run
    continuiously. People used to give microsoft shit about windows needing
    a restart after a few days to remain stable, well firefox needs a
    restart a few times aday for me. Only extensions are adblock and the
    flash click to play ones, so I dont think its an issue with any of
    those.
    richms, Nov 12, 2006
  19. juicyjuice

    Earl Grey Guest

    Aquilegia Alyssum wrote:
    > On Sun, 12 Nov 2006 03:40:35 +1300, juicyjuice wrote:
    >
    >> Has anyone else experienced these problems, which seem to be actually worse
    >> with Firefox2.

    > No.
    >
    > I don't use M$ Windows
    >

    > Aquilegia Alyssum

    But you use Micro$oft $u$e
    LMAO
    Earl Grey, Nov 12, 2006
  20. juicyjuice

    jasen Guest

    On 2006-11-12, Fred Dagg <> wrote:
    > On Sun, 12 Nov 2006 13:15:41 +1300, Invisible <>
    > exclaimed:
    >
    >>On Sun, 12 Nov 2006 12:54:54 +1300, Aquilegia Alyssum
    >><> wrote:

    >>>No.
    >>>
    >>>I don't use M$ Windows
    >>>

    >>2 nyms in 2 days Ma Hog? Get a life.
    >>

    > Yup, people caught on pretty quickly, so he had to change it again.
    >
    > I wouldn't imagine this one will last long, either.

    If you want to block him "killfile" messages with this header line:

    Bye.
    Jasen
    jasen, Nov 12, 2006