Firefox memory leak

Discussion in 'Firefox' started by ttfg, Mar 18, 2005.

  1. ttfg

    ttfg Guest

    Asked this within another thread, but got no response, so figured I'd ask it
    again as a new thread.

    It's an ongoing problem I've had since I first
    began using the Mozilla browser. It's the memory leak, that makes you have to
    wait forever (30-90 seconds) before the browser is usable again (responds) after
    being minimized (or more precisely, not the application in focus (on top)).
    It's so frustrating that this one problem hasn't been fixed, when
    everything else about the product is so good.

    I've read though all the forums and such, and tried all of the supposed fixes
    with the different browser cache items in the about:config panel, but none have
    had any effect. I know others who never see this delay, and still others who
    have it just as bad as me. Don't know what the common thread is, as we all seem
    to run different concurrent apps. I have a ton of RAM, and loads of pagefile
    space (have tried it all on one drive, spread across three drives, etc) and
    nothing seems to work.

    It is an ongoing bug in bugzilla, and lots of discussion about it in the mozilla
    forums, but nothing there has fixed it for me.

    Any help appreciated.
    ttfg, Mar 18, 2005

  2. ttfg

    Nick Thomas Guest

    Have you tried setting config.trim_on_minimize to false using
    about:config ? That is the pref the controls whether Mozilla apps
    release memory when minimized.

    Also, are you sure that you really have free memory even though you have
    "a ton of RAM" ? What OS are you using and how much RAM ? Do you run
    Firefox for days without a restart ? Memory leaks are an issue for this
    last case.

    Another possibility is that something in your profile is corrupted,
    usually due to an extension or a combination of several. Do you still
    have a responsiveness problems if you try a clean profile ? See this
    page if you are not familiar with profiles:
    http://www.mozilla.org/support/firefox/profile#new
    Nick Thomas, Mar 18, 2005

  3. ttfg

    ttfg Guest

    On Fri, 18 Mar 2005 17:44:07 +0000, Nick Thomas
    <> wrote:

    >Have you tried setting config.trim_on_minimize to false using
    >about:config ? That is the pref the controls whether Mozilla apps
    >release memory when minimized.

    That's not one I've seen mentioned, and I don't have that entry listed, with any
    value. Can you point me to where it is described? In the meantime, I'll create a
    new boolean with that title and set it to false - I'll let you know if that
    helps.

    >Also, are you sure that you really have free memory even though you have
    >"a ton of RAM" ? What OS are you using and how much RAM ? Do you run
    >Firefox for days without a restart ? Memory leaks are an issue for this
    >last case.

    Lots of free memory. I have a gig of RAM, and am using WinXP. I never keep apps
    open unless I am working with them (unless they absolutely have to stay
    running), so Firefox gets restarted every few hours, at a minimum. I keep task
    manager running all the time, and often refer to it -- I typically max out at
    about 275-300MB of used RAM, so I'm not even close to bumping up against my
    limit. If I open Photoshop or something similarly memory intensive, I 'might'
    get near 500MB used RAM, but that's about it.

    >Another possibility is that something in your profile is corrupted,
    >usually due to an extension or a combination of several. Do you still
    >have a responsiveness problems if you try a clean profile ? See this
    >page if you are not familiar with profiles:
    >http://www.mozilla.org/support/firefox/profile#new

    I'm familiar with profiles from my many years of using Netscape, but Firefox has
    never asked me to create a separate (or new) one. I'm the only one using the
    machine, and every time I've installed it (I've done it fresh a number of times)
    it has just installed itself into my admin account and that was that. And yes, I
    have a few times installed it fresh and used it without any extensions for some
    weeks to see if the problem went away, but it's always been there. I only have a
    few basic extensions installed anyway. I do note that it seems to be more of a
    problem whenever Agent is open, but I've never tracked down why they interact
    badly together.

    I thought my large bookmarks file might be bogging it down (it goes back many
    years) but it's only about 650kb large, so I doubt that's it. I think I'll
    create a new profile anyway, and not use that bookmark file (I always replace
    the new one with the old one, even when I install it fresh) and see if perhaps
    the problem does indeed lie somewhere in there.

    Thanks very much for the feedback.
    ttfg, Mar 18, 2005
  4. ttfg

    Roland Guest

    On 18-3-2005 19:24, ttfg wrote:

    > On Fri, 18 Mar 2005 17:44:07 +0000, Nick Thomas
    > <> wrote:
    >

    >>Have you tried setting config.trim_on_minimize to false using
    >>about:config ? That is the pref the controls whether Mozilla apps
    >>release memory when minimized.

    > That's not one I've seen mentioned, and I don't have that entry listed, with any
    > value. Can you point me to where it is described? In the meantime, I'll create a
    > new boolean with that title and set it to false - I'll let you know if that
    > helps.

    See
    <http://kb.mozillazine.org/Firefox_:_FAQs_:_About:config_Entries#Config..2A>

    --
    Regards,

    Roland de Ruiter
    ___ ___
    /__/ w_/ /__/
    / \ /_/ / \
    Roland, Mar 18, 2005
  5. ttfg

    ttfg Guest

    On Fri, 18 Mar 2005 19:29:12 +0100, Roland <> wrote:

    >On 18-3-2005 19:24, ttfg wrote:
    >>
    >> On Fri, 18 Mar 2005 17:44:07 +0000, Nick Thomas
    >> <> wrote:
    >>

    >>>Have you tried setting config.trim_on_minimize to false using
    >>>about:config ? That is the pref the controls whether Mozilla apps
    >>>release memory when minimized.

    >> That's not one I've seen mentioned, and I don't have that entry listed, with any
    >> value. Can you point me to where it is described? In the meantime, I'll create a
    >> new boolean with that title and set it to false - I'll let you know if that
    >> helps.
    >>

    >See
    ><http://kb.mozillazine.org/Firefox_:_FAQs_:_About:config_Entries#Config..2A>

    Thanks Roland. That seems to be specifically related to the bug I've always
    followed. I need to go back over this page again, seems to have updated since I
    last read it. This would be so cool if this finally fixes the thing!!

    Thanks again.
    ttfg, Mar 18, 2005