    "I remember being knocked out by their, their exuberance, their raw power -
    and their punctuality."

    M.D.

    Jonathan Wolgamuth, Feb 14, 2005

  2. Jonathan Wolgamuth

    mike555 Guest

    mike555, Feb 14, 2005

  3. Jonathan Wolgamuth wrote:
    > Any way to speed this up? I launched Firefox, went to turn the

    temperature
    > in my house down, came back (matter of just a few seconds), launched

    X-
    > News, and XNews started before Firefox.
    >
    > It is terribly slow to launch, although once launched it is

    nice-n-speedy.
    I remember with mozilla, there was a toolbar quick-launch. Problems:
    1. I don't exactly know if this works in Linux
    2. I forget if FireFox has this.

    Sorry I couldn't be of more help,
    Poly-poly man

    Poly-poly man, Feb 14, 2005
  4. In message news: on 14
    Feb 2005, mike555 said to all at alt.fan.mozilla

    > === there is a "Firefox preloader" , but I didn't have very good luck
    > with it ... but many others did ... you can get it from ......
    > https://sourceforge.net/projects/ffpreloader/ ===========

    Mike, giving this one a whirl as I type. Thanks for the info.

    --

    Jonathan Wolgamuth <jonwolgamuth(at)gmail(dot)com>

    Jonathan Wolgamuth, Feb 15, 2005
  5. In message news: on 14
    Feb 2005, Poly-poly man said to all at alt.fan.mozilla

    >> Any way to speed this up? I launched Firefox, went to turn the
    >> temperature in my house down, came back (matter of just a few
    >> seconds), launched X- News, and XNews started before Firefox.
    >>
    >> It is terribly slow to launch, although once launched it is
    >> nice-n-speedy.

    > I remember with mozilla, there was a toolbar quick-launch. Problems:
    > 1. I don't exactly know if this works in Linux
    > 2. I forget if FireFox has this.
    >
    > Sorry I couldn't be of more help,
    > Poly-poly man

    I think there was a way to allow the program to stay in memory so it would
    launch more quickly, but that is not (that I can tell) part of Firefox. I
    found a "minimize to tray" extension, and looking at Mike555's suggestion
    right now.

    Jonathan Wolgamuth, Feb 15, 2005
  6. Poly-poly man wrote:
    > Jonathan Wolgamuth wrote:
    >
    >>Any way to speed this up? I launched Firefox, went to turn the

    > temperature
    >
    >>in my house down, came back (matter of just a few seconds), launched

    > X-
    >
    >>News, and XNews started before Firefox.
    >>
    >>It is terribly slow to launch, although once launched it is

    > nice-n-speedy.
    > I remember with mozilla, there was a toolbar quick-launch. Problems:
    > 1. I don't exactly know if this works in Linux
    > 2. I forget if FireFox has this.
    >
    > Sorry I couldn't be of more help,
    > Poly-poly man

    There is no Quick Launch in Firefox.

    There is the Minimize to tray extension, though this has the effect of
    Firefox running completely all the time, and may not be desirable.

    Lee

    Leonidas Jones, Feb 15, 2005
  7. Jonathan Wolgamuth

    Splibbilla Guest

    Jonathan Wolgamuth <> in news:Xns95FD934312C82jonwolgamuthinboxnet@127.0.0.1:

    > XNews started before Firefox.

    not a fair comparison. Xnews is samll. :)

    regular moz 1,7x has a setting, "keep mozilla in memory to improve performance" in preferences>> advanced

    i suspect this is in ff options, or can be found in the about:config.

    also, i noticed a "mozilla" file showed in xp's processes (ctrl+alt+del) while ff was running, but (variables, blah blah) check
    yourself.

    if you can spare ram to have ff remain running in bkgrd, then maybe you can put that bkgrd exe into your startup?

    --
    WinMe, Moz 1.7.5, all profiles: GoogleBar, PrefBar, CopyURL, IEView, ,,, and??? some bugmenot.jar, sage.jar. Usually java off,
    js on. Might GoogleBar be "mergeable" with an (added) src chooser in PrefBar (v. 3.0, build date 20041224)?

    Splibbilla, Feb 15, 2005
  8. Jonathan Wolgamuth

    Me Guest

    On 14 Feb 2005 20:28:44 GMT, Jonathan Wolgamuth
    <> wrote:

    >Any way to speed this up? I launched Firefox, went to turn the temperature
    >in my house down, came back (matter of just a few seconds), launched X-
    >News, and XNews started before Firefox.
    >
    >It is terribly slow to launch, although once launched it is nice-n-speedy.

    It does the same thing here.

    I just use IE when I want to do a quick view of a webpage and not
    waste a lot of time. If I plan to stay online for awhile, then I load
    Firefox.

    Me, Feb 15, 2005
  9. Jonathan Wolgamuth

    Bb Guest

    "Jonathan Wolgamuth" <> wrote in message
    > Any way to speed this up? I launched Firefox, went to turn the

    temperature
    > in my house down, came back (matter of just a few seconds), launched X-
    > News, and XNews started before Firefox.
    >
    > It is terribly slow to launch, although once launched it is nice-n-speedy.

    This otta help -

    Properties,Target line, add the text: /Prefetch:1

    The whole line should resemble this: "C:\Program Files\Mozilla
    Firefox\firefox.exe" /Prefetch:1"

    Bb, Feb 17, 2005
  10. In message news:ik9Rd.2134$ on 17 Feb 2005, Bb
    said to all at alt.fan.mozilla

    >> Any way to speed this up? I launched Firefox, went to turn the
    >> temperature in my house down, came back (matter of just a few
    >> seconds), launched X- News, and XNews started before Firefox.
    >>
    >> It is terribly slow to launch, although once launched it is
    >> nice-n-speedy.

    > This otta help -
    >
    > Properties,Target line, add the text: /Prefetch:1
    >
    > The whole line should resemble this: "C:\Program Files\Mozilla
    > Firefox\firefox.exe" /Prefetch:1"

    BB, I can do this, but what exactly am I doing? What does Prefetch do?

    Thanks for your post too. I am having fun with this browser and I want to
    be able to *fix* some of the irritants if possible.

    Jonathan Wolgamuth, Feb 18, 2005
  11. Jonathan Wolgamuth

    Ed Mullen Guest

    Bb wrote:

    > "Jonathan Wolgamuth" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Any way to speed this up? I launched Firefox, went to turn the

    > temperature
    >
    >>in my house down, came back (matter of just a few seconds), launched X-
    >>News, and XNews started before Firefox.
    >>
    >>It is terribly slow to launch, although once launched it is nice-n-speedy.

    > This otta help -
    >
    > Properties,Target line, add the text: /Prefetch:1
    >
    > The whole line should resemble this: "C:\Program Files\Mozilla
    > Firefox\firefox.exe" /Prefetch:1"

    Is this setting the "network.prefetch-next" preference? If so, the
    default in Firefox is true, meaning prefetch is being used by default.
    Also, I presume you're suggesting modifying the shortcut that launches
    FF. Which is, I suppose fine, but I'd rather set such a preference
    permanently using about:config. Just my 2 cents.

    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net

    Ed Mullen, Feb 18, 2005
  12. Jonathan Wolgamuth

    Nicik Name Guest

    "Jonathan Wolgamuth" <> wrote in message
    > Any way to speed this up? I launched Firefox, went to turn the

    temperature
    > in my house down, came back (matter of just a few seconds), launched X-
    > News, and XNews started before Firefox.
    >
    > It is terribly slow to launch, although once launched it is nice-n-speedy.

    5 seconds........Earthlink dial up

    Nicik Name, Feb 25, 2005