    Does anyone have any idea what might be happening or how to fix it?

    I'm running MS Windows 2000 Pro, and I'm on a proxy server.

    Thanks

    Jive Dadson, Jun 2, 2005

  2. Jive Dadson

    Jive Dadson Guest

    P.s. The symptom is that Firefox makes no progress after a point.
    Sometimes it displays some of the page, but eventually the progress
    bar freezes. Firefox is alive and well though. I can cancel the
    download with the red X and continue right along.

    Jive Dadson, Jun 2, 2005

  3. Jive Dadson

    Moz Champion Guest

    Re: Javascript console (error log) -- Re: Firefox / javascript

    Jive Dadson wrote:
    > I have more evidence now. Did I mention that I'm running Firefox
    >

    > "Jive Dadson" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>There are a lot of web sites that I can open with IE but not
    >>Firefox. One thing they all have in common is javascript. I
    >>re-installed Firefox today, and it did not help. I've got
    >>javascript enabled, and I even checked all the check-boxes to let
    >>javascript do anything it pleased. Among the pages I can't open

    > is
    >
    >>www.ebay.com.
    >>
    >>Does anyone have any idea what might be happening or how to fix

    > it?
    >
    >>I'm running MS Windows 2000 Pro, and I'm on a proxy server.
    >>
    >>Thanks
    >>

    > When I attempt to open www.ebay.com, I get an error message in the
    > java console window, always the same. It appears that the script is
    > getting truncated somehow. The text of it is below.
    >
    > Now I find that occasionally the ebay start page loads partially.
    > However, when I try to log-in to ebay, I get a pop-up that says,
    > "signin.ebay.com could not be found. Please check the name and try
    > again." I have gotten similar messages when clicking on links at
    > other sites, such as craigslist. If I just type in the URL, often I
    > can go there. In the case of signin.ebay.com, I get a message
    > saying that I don't have permission to list the directory.
    >
    > Does anyone have a clue? I think I'm going to have to give up on
    > Firefox, and I really don't want to.
    >
    > Error: missing } in compound statement
    > Source File: http://include.ebaystatic.com/js/v/us/homepage.js
    > Line: 430, Column: 90
    > Source Code:
    > {cfg2=getSearchAdConfig("searchTop",2,pSide1W,pSide1H,defSideAdWidth
    > ,defSideAdHeight);setCu

    will you please be a little more careful? Java is NOT Javascript!
    Javascript is NOT Java! A shortform for Javascript is NOT Java!

    You get an error in the Javascript window, not the Java window.

    What version of Firefox are you attempting to use?

    Obviously, I dont get that error here. And others dont report an error
    on ebay either

    You state now that the start page loads partially, and your problem is
    logging in
    Have you enabled cookies? Have you enabled pop-ups?
    Have you tried removing any ebay cookies already in Firefox and then
    going there?

    Moz Champion, Jun 3, 2005
  4. Jive Dadson

    Moz Champion Guest

    Jive Dadson wrote:
    > There are a lot of web sites that I can open with IE but not
    > Firefox. One thing they all have in common is javascript. I
    > re-installed Firefox today, and it did not help. I've got
    > javascript enabled, and I even checked all the check-boxes to let
    > javascript do anything it pleased. Among the pages I can't open is
    > www.ebay.com.
    >
    > Does anyone have any idea what might be happening or how to fix it?
    >
    > I'm running MS Windows 2000 Pro, and I'm on a proxy server.
    >
    > Thanks

    Here you are saying you cant open www.ebay.com, but later you state you
    CAN get the page to load, you get a problem when logging in!
    So which is it?

    Moz Champion, Jun 3, 2005
  5. Jive Dadson

    Jive Dadson Guest

    "Moz Champion" <> wrote in message
    > Jive Dadson wrote:
    > > There are a lot of web sites that I can open with IE but not
    > > Firefox. One thing they all have in common is javascript. I
    > > re-installed Firefox today, and it did not help. I've got
    > > javascript enabled, and I even checked all the check-boxes to

    let
    > > javascript do anything it pleased. Among the pages I can't open

    is
    > > www.ebay.com.
    > >
    > > Does anyone have any idea what might be happening or how to fix

    it?

    > > I'm running MS Windows 2000 Pro, and I'm on a proxy server.
    > >
    > > Thanks
    > >

    > Here you are saying you cant open www.ebay.com, but later you

    state you
    > CAN get the page to load, you get a problem when logging in!
    > So which is it?

    Until today, I had not been able to get the page to load at all.
    Today it loaded partially. There are three large areas on the
    screen, labeled 1 Find, 2 Buy, and 3 Pay. Firefox displayed only
    the first of the three. It also displayed a login button to click.
    When I clicked on that button, I got the message as I reported.

    Jive Dadson, Jun 3, 2005
  6. Jive Dadson

    Jive Dadson Guest

    > <snip>
    >
    > What version of Firefox are you attempting to use?

    1.0.4

    > Obviously, I dont get that error here. And others dont report an

    error
    > on ebay either
    >
    > You state now that the start page loads partially, and your

    problem is
    > logging in

    Correct. That just started happening today.

    > Have you enabled cookies?

    Yes.

    > Have you enabled pop-ups?

    Yes.

    > Have you tried removing any ebay cookies already in Firefox and

    then
    > going there?

    Yes.

    Jive Dadson, Jun 3, 2005
  7. Jive Dadson

    Jive Dadson wrote:
    > "Moz Champion" <> wrote in message
    >
    >><snip>
    >>
    >>What version of Firefox are you attempting to use?
    >>

    > 1.0.4
    >

    >>Obviously, I dont get that error here. And others dont report an

    > error
    >
    >>on ebay either
    >>
    >>You state now that the start page loads partially, and your

    > problem is
    >
    >>logging in

    > Correct. That just started happening today.
    >

    >>Have you enabled cookies?

    > Yes.
    >

    >> Have you enabled pop-ups?

    > Yes.
    >

    >>Have you tried removing any ebay cookies already in Firefox and

    > then
    >
    >>going there?

    > Yes.

    well, does the page load?
    Just where (and how) are you 'logging in' ?
    are you using the sign in page? Does THAT show up?

    Moz Champion, Jun 3, 2005
  8. Jive Dadson

    Moz Champion Guest

    Jive Dadson wrote:
    > "Moz Champion" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Jive Dadson wrote:
    >>
    >>>There are a lot of web sites that I can open with IE but not
    >>>Firefox. One thing they all have in common is javascript. I
    >>>re-installed Firefox today, and it did not help. I've got
    >>>javascript enabled, and I even checked all the check-boxes to

    > let
    >
    >>>javascript do anything it pleased. Among the pages I can't open

    > is
    >
    >>>www.ebay.com.
    >>>
    >>>Does anyone have any idea what might be happening or how to fix

    > it?
    >
    >>>I'm running MS Windows 2000 Pro, and I'm on a proxy server.
    >>>
    >>>Thanks
    >>>

    >>Here you are saying you cant open www.ebay.com, but later you

    > state you
    >
    >>CAN get the page to load, you get a problem when logging in!
    >>So which is it?

    > Until today, I had not been able to get the page to load at all.
    > Today it loaded partially. There are three large areas on the
    > screen, labeled 1 Find, 2 Buy, and 3 Pay. Firefox displayed only
    > the first of the three. It also displayed a login button to click.
    > When I clicked on that button, I got the message as I reported.

    We are not looking at the same page.
    www.ebay.com here shows just two areas
    1 Find and 2 Learn

    will have to register to see what you see I guess

    Moz Champion, Jun 3, 2005
  9. Jive Dadson

    Moz Champion Guest

    Moz Champion wrote:
    > Jive Dadson wrote:
    >
    >> "Moz Champion" <> wrote in message

    >> let

    >> is

    >> it?

    >>> Here you are saying you cant open www.ebay.com, but later you

    >> state you
    >>
    >>> CAN get the page to load, you get a problem when logging in!
    >>> So which is it?

    >> Until today, I had not been able to get the page to load at all.
    >> Today it loaded partially. There are three large areas on the
    >> screen, labeled 1 Find, 2 Buy, and 3 Pay. Firefox displayed only
    >> the first of the three. It also displayed a login button to click.
    >> When I clicked on that button, I got the message as I reported.
    >>

    > We are not looking at the same page.
    > www.ebay.com here shows just two areas
    > 1 Find and 2 Learn
    >
    > will have to register to see what you see I guess

    well, I am now registered on ebay, but I dont see your Find Buy and Pay!
    what EXACT url are you going to on ebay?

    Moz Champion, Jun 3, 2005
  10. Jive Dadson

    > >> let

    open

    > >> is

    fix

    > >> it?

    > >> state you

    > >> Until today, I had not been able to get the page to load at

    all.
    > >> Today it loaded partially. There are three large areas on the
    > >> screen, labeled 1 Find, 2 Buy, and 3 Pay. Firefox displayed

    only
    > >> the first of the three. It also displayed a login button to

    click.
    > >> When I clicked on that button, I got the message as I reported.
    > >>

    > > We are not looking at the same page.
    > > www.ebay.com here shows just two areas
    > > 1 Find and 2 Learn
    > >
    > > will have to register to see what you see I guess

    > well, I am now registered on ebay, but I dont see your Find Buy

    and Pay!
    > what EXACT url are you going to on ebay?

    The EXACT url is www.ebay.com. I don't know why you see something
    different.

    Jive Dadson, Jun 3, 2005
  11. Jive Dadson

    Jive Dadson Guest

    > >><snip>
    > >>
    > >>What version of Firefox are you attempting to use?
    > >>

    > > 1.0.4
    > >

    > >>Obviously, I dont get that error here. And others dont report an

    > > error
    > >
    > >>on ebay either
    > >>
    > >>You state now that the start page loads partially, and your

    > > problem is
    > >
    > >>logging in

    > > Correct. That just started happening today.
    > >

    > >>Have you enabled cookies?

    > > Yes.
    > >

    > >> Have you enabled pop-ups?

    > > Yes.
    > >

    > >>Have you tried removing any ebay cookies already in Firefox and

    > > then
    > >
    > >>going there?

    > > Yes.
    > >

    > well, does the page load?

    Not completely.

    > Just where (and how) are you 'logging in' ?

    Under the "Register Now" button, there's "Already Resistered?" with
    an underlined "Sign In." That's the link that gives me the popup.
    I see the same kind of thing following some links on
    www.craigslist.com.

    > are you using the sign in page? Does THAT show up?

    The link is https://signin.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?SignIn . When
    I type that into the URL window and try to go there "directly", I
    get the same error popup that I described before.

    Jive Dadson, Jun 3, 2005
  12. Jive Dadson

    Larry Hazel Guest

    Moz Champion wrote:
    > Moz Champion wrote:
    >
    >> Jive Dadson wrote:
    >>
    >>> "Moz Champion" <> wrote in message

    >>> let

    >>> is

    >>> it?

    >>> state you

    >>> Until today, I had not been able to get the page to load at all.
    >>> Today it loaded partially. There are three large areas on the
    >>> screen, labeled 1 Find, 2 Buy, and 3 Pay. Firefox displayed only
    >>> the first of the three. It also displayed a login button to click.
    >>> When I clicked on that button, I got the message as I reported.
    >>>

    >> We are not looking at the same page.
    >> www.ebay.com here shows just two areas
    >> 1 Find and 2 Learn
    >>
    >> will have to register to see what you see I guess

    > well, I am now registered on ebay, but I dont see your Find Buy and Pay!
    > what EXACT url are you going to on ebay?

    I just went to http://www.ebay.com. It loaded perfectly with the Find -
    Buy - Pay areas.

    Larry Hazel, Jun 3, 2005
  13. Jive Dadson

    Jive Dadson Guest

    "Larry Hazel" <> wrote in message

    > I just went to http://www.ebay.com. It loaded perfectly with the

    Find -
    > Buy - Pay areas.

    It works for me too under IE, but not Firefox.

    Jive Dadson, Jun 3, 2005
  14. Jive Dadson

    Larry Hazel Guest

    Jive Dadson wrote:
    > "Larry Hazel" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>I just went to http://www.ebay.com. It loaded perfectly with the

    > Find -
    >
    >>Buy - Pay areas.

    > It works for me too under IE, but not Firefox.

    MSIE is a four letter word. I use Firefox 1.0.4.
    The eBay home page and sign in pages work fine for me.

    Larry Hazel, Jun 3, 2005
  15. Jive Dadson

    Jive Dadson wrote:
    > "Moz Champion" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Jive Dadson wrote:
    >>
    >>>"Moz Champion" <> wrote in message

    >>>1.0.4

    >>>error

    >>>problem is

    >>>Correct. That just started happening today.

    >>>Yes.

    >>>Yes.

    >>>then

    >>>Yes.
    >>>

    >>well, does the page load?

    > Not completely.
    >

    >>Just where (and how) are you 'logging in' ?

    > Under the "Register Now" button, there's "Already Resistered?" with
    > an underlined "Sign In." That's the link that gives me the popup.
    > I see the same kind of thing following some links on
    > www.craigslist.com.
    >

    >>are you using the sign in page? Does THAT show up?

    > The link is https://signin.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?SignIn . When
    > I type that into the URL window and try to go there "directly", I
    > get the same error popup that I described before.

    When do you get the error? Immediately when entering the sign up page or
    after using the Sign up button on the page?

    Dont get the error here.

    Moz Champion, Jun 3, 2005
  16. Jive Dadson

    Moz Champion Guest

    Larry Hazel wrote:
    > Moz Champion wrote:
    >
    >> Moz Champion wrote:

    >>> We are not looking at the same page.
    >>> www.ebay.com here shows just two areas
    >>> 1 Find and 2 Learn
    >>>
    >>> will have to register to see what you see I guess

    >> well, I am now registered on ebay, but I dont see your Find Buy and Pay!
    >> what EXACT url are you going to on ebay?

    > I just went to http://www.ebay.com. It loaded perfectly with the Find -
    > Buy - Pay areas.

    I dont see Find Buy Pay areas!
    What I see is The Worlds Online Marketplace area (with a search function)
    I do get a Buy Sell MyEbay Community Help 'menu' up top

    Moz Champion, Jun 3, 2005
  17. Jive Dadson

    Jive Dadson Guest

    an

    and

    > >>well, does the page load?

    > > Not completely.
    > >

    > >>Just where (and how) are you 'logging in' ?

    > > Under the "Register Now" button, there's "Already Resistered?"

    with
    > > an underlined "Sign In." That's the link that gives me the

    popup.
    > > I see the same kind of thing following some links on
    > > www.craigslist.com.
    > >

    > >>are you using the sign in page? Does THAT show up?

    > > The link is https://signin.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?SignIn .

    When
    > > I type that into the URL window and try to go there "directly",

    > > get the same error popup that I described before.
    > >

    > When do you get the error? Immediately when entering the sign up

    page or
    > after using the Sign up button on the page?
    >
    > Dont get the error here.

    I can get the error two different ways. One is to click on the
    underlined "sign in" on the page. The other is to type the URL and
    all into the long skinny window at the top and press "enter".

    I think the best evidence is the truncated javascript. Javascript
    is getting an error because, apparently, it is not reading the whole
    script. The problem is not in the proxie, because IE runs the
    javascript pages just fine.

    I don't know if this has anything to do with it, but I'll mention
    it. I discovered that when I installed Firefox, I was very low on
    disk space. I freed up a lot of space, defragged the disk, and
    re-installed Firefox. That didn't help. I didn't un-install it
    first. Should I try that?

    I'm running out of ideas.

    Jive Dadson, Jun 3, 2005
  18. Jive Dadson

    Jive Dadson Guest

    Mozilla has the same problem

    I downloaded Mozilla 1.7.8. It has the same problem (on my machine)
    that Firefox 1.0.4 does. Javascripts in URL's don't work. I have
    checked everything obvious. This is a real bummer.

    I'll bet that someone who is familiar with the Mozilla source code
    could read these symptoms and "ah ha" the root cause.

    To summarize the stuff in this thread, which is becoming rather
    lengthy, on my machine Mozilla/Firefox fails to properly load web
    pages that employ Javascript. The Javascript console shows that the
    scripts appear to be truncated. Others on the web report that those
    same pages load perfectly for them using Firefox. They load
    perfectly for me under MS Internet Explorer. Something about my
    machine causes both Firefox and Mozilla to see only the initial
    section of Javascripts that it tries to load. I first discovered
    this when I tried to open www.ebay.com, and it failed.

    Jive Dadson, Jun 3, 2005
  19. Jive Dadson

    Roland Guest

    Re: Mozilla has the same problem

    On 3-6-2005 20:27, Jive Dadson wrote:
    > I downloaded Mozilla 1.7.8. It has the same problem (on my machine)
    > that Firefox 1.0.4 does. Javascripts in URL's don't work. I have
    > checked everything obvious. This is a real bummer.
    >
    > I'll bet that someone who is familiar with the Mozilla source code
    > could read these symptoms and "ah ha" the root cause.
    >
    > To summarize the stuff in this thread, which is becoming rather
    > lengthy, on my machine Mozilla/Firefox fails to properly load web
    > pages that employ Javascript. The Javascript console shows that the
    > scripts appear to be truncated. Others on the web report that those
    > same pages load perfectly for them using Firefox. They load
    > perfectly for me under MS Internet Explorer. Something about my
    > machine causes both Firefox and Mozilla to see only the initial
    > section of Javascripts that it tries to load. I first discovered
    > this when I tried to open www.ebay.com, and it failed.

    Can you load the individual JS files from ebay.com?
    And are they complete?
    The ebay.com site includes several JS files (in Mozilla: View -> Page
    Info -> Privacy -> Scripts):
    <http://include.ebaystatic.com/js/v/us/homepage.js>
    <http://include.ebaystatic.com/js/v/us/ebaybase.js>
    <http://include.ebaystatic.com/js/v/us/ebaysup.js>
    <http://include.ebaystatic.com/js/v/us/homepagebody.js>
    <http://include.ebaystatic.com/js/v/us/ebayfooter.js>

    Do you happen to have an internet security suite (e.g. from
    McAfee/Norton/etc.), or a firewall which might interfere with
    downloading Javascript code?

    --
    Regards,

    Roland de Ruiter
    ___ ___
    /__/ w_/ /__/
    / \ /_/ / \

    Roland, Jun 3, 2005
  20. Jive Dadson

    Doug G Guest

    Jive Dadson wrote:
    > I downloaded Mozilla 1.7.8. It has the same problem (on my machine)
    > that Firefox 1.0.4 does. Javascripts in URL's don't work. I have
    > checked everything obvious. This is a real bummer.
    >
    > I'll bet that someone who is familiar with the Mozilla source code
    > could read these symptoms and "ah ha" the root cause.
    >
    > To summarize the stuff in this thread, which is becoming rather
    > lengthy, on my machine Mozilla/Firefox fails to properly load web
    > pages that employ Javascript. The Javascript console shows that the
    > scripts appear to be truncated. Others on the web report that those
    > same pages load perfectly for them using Firefox. They load
    > perfectly for me under MS Internet Explorer. Something about my
    > machine causes both Firefox and Mozilla to see only the initial
    > section of Javascripts that it tries to load. I first discovered
    > this when I tried to open www.ebay.com, and it failed.

    Did you use the online or offline installers to install Mozilla and
    Firefox? Firefox 1.0.4's offline installer is around 4,700 KB.
    Have you tried running Firefox in Safe Mode (themes and extensions are
    disabled)?
    Have you tried running Firefox with Java disabled and JavaScript enabled?
    Have you tried creating a new Firefox profile and seeing if it has the
    same problem?

    Doug G, Jun 3, 2005