    unavailability of any web pages, on startup the browser screen wont open but
    is running under processes in the background just to name a couple. Maybe it
    was designed for use under Windows ME.
    The One, Apr 15, 2005

  2. The One

    The One Guest

    "The One" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > I've used Firefox for a few months now, I know its more secure than IE
    > but...... frustrating isn't the word, I've been sitting here for about 20
    > minutes now and it wont allow me to load up any web page as it is

    supposedly
    > unavailable.
    >
    > However the web pages can happily be viewed in IE without any problems

    what
    > so ever.
    >
    > Where Firefox is potentially an excellent browser, it still needs drastic
    > tweeking to be a competative browser.
    >
    > With relevent spyware blockers and a decent firewall, IE is still the

    better
    > option as there as too many problems within Firefox such as sudden
    > unavailability of any web pages, on startup the browser screen wont open

    but
    > is running under processes in the background just to name a couple. Maybe

    it
    > was designed for use under Windows ME.

    IE is also faster.
    The One, Apr 15, 2005

  3. On 4/15/2005 11:55 AM, The One said:
    > I've used Firefox for a few months now, I know its more secure than IE
    > but...... frustrating isn't the word, I've been sitting here for about 20
    > minutes now and it wont allow me to load up any web page as it is supposedly
    > unavailable.
    >
    > However the web pages can happily be viewed in IE without any problems what
    > so ever.
    >
    > Where Firefox is potentially an excellent browser, it still needs drastic
    > tweeking to be a competative browser.
    >
    > With relevent spyware blockers and a decent firewall, IE is still the better
    > option as there as too many problems within Firefox such as sudden
    > unavailability of any web pages, on startup the browser screen wont open but
    > is running under processes in the background just to name a couple. Maybe it
    > was designed for use under Windows ME.

    I doubt these problems are down to Firefox being a naff browser. It's
    likelier that the webmasters of the sites you mention just can't be
    arsed to create cross-browser code.

    As for the "system" problems, it might help to specify which version of
    Windows, and what else you're running (ie *which* firewall), and so on.
    Have you checked that your firewall rules allow Firefox to connect to
    external sites? If not, that might explain the very long wait.

    cheers,

    David H
    David Harrison, Apr 15, 2005
  4. The One wrote:
    > I've used Firefox for a few months now, I know its more secure than IE
    > but...... frustrating isn't the word, I've been sitting here for about 20
    > minutes now and it wont allow me to load up any web page as it is supposedly
    > unavailable.

    You wait 20 minutes before you realise that a page isn't going to load?
    It would take me a minute to:
    try a page
    realise it doesn't load
    try it in IE
    realise that IE works
    work out that because so many people use Firefox it can't be that bad,
    so the problem is more likely to be with the setup of my computer.

    Or I could try your route
    try a page
    wait 20 minutes then think that Firefox is useless and the 100000s of
    users must be stupid. Why else would they be happy with a browser that
    doesn't load pages.

    If you prefer IE, then go with it and good luck (you'll need it)
    If you want to just bad mouth Firefox, then you are wasting your breath.
    We know how good it is
    If you want help with your setup to make Firefox work, then ask for
    flippin help.

    --
    Bryan

    Reclaim Your Browser!
    http://www.getfirefox.com
    Bryan Harrison, Apr 15, 2005
  5. The One

    Arne Guest

    Once upon a time *The One* wrote:

    > "The One" <> wrote in message
    >> I've used Firefox for a few months now, I know its more secure than IE
    >> but...... frustrating isn't the word, I've been sitting here for about 20
    >> minutes now and it wont allow me to load up any web page as it is

    > supposedly
    >> unavailable.
    >>
    >> However the web pages can happily be viewed in IE without any problems

    > what
    >> so ever.
    >>
    >> Where Firefox is potentially an excellent browser, it still needs drastic
    >> tweeking to be a competative browser.
    >>
    >> With relevent spyware blockers and a decent firewall, IE is still the

    > better
    >> option as there as too many problems within Firefox such as sudden
    >> unavailability of any web pages, on startup the browser screen wont open

    > but
    >> is running under processes in the background just to name a couple. Maybe

    > it
    >> was designed for use under Windows ME.
    >>

    > IE is also faster.

    I doubt that. It takes one sec to load my start page (my own website)
    with Mozilla, and approx 5 sec with IE. Maybe that's because the page
    is well done (cross browser friendly and validates)? :)

    --
    /Arne

    are replying to, no more and no less! And don't
    quote signatures, thank you.
    Arne, Apr 15, 2005
  6. The One

    John Guest

    On Fri, 15 Apr 2005 11:55:04 +0100, "The One" <> wrote:

    >I've used Firefox for a few months now, I know its more secure than IE
    >but...... frustrating isn't the word, I've been sitting here for about 20
    >minutes now and it wont allow me to load up any web page as it is supposedly
    >unavailable.
    >
    >However the web pages can happily be viewed in IE without any problems what
    >so ever.
    >
    >Where Firefox is potentially an excellent browser, it still needs drastic
    >tweeking to be a competative browser.
    >
    >With relevent spyware blockers and a decent firewall, IE is still the better
    >option as there as too many problems within Firefox such as sudden
    >unavailability of any web pages, on startup the browser screen wont open but
    >is running under processes in the background just to name a couple. Maybe it
    >was designed for use under Windows ME.

    I'm not enough of an expert to even suggest what may be wrong with your
    computer, or the web pages you are trying to load.
    Better people than myself will have to help you there.
    However, if you don't have at least W98SE, perhaps it is time for an upgrade . .
    I've used Firefox for a long time on a 800 mzh W98SE computer (with 384 meg of
    RAM) and it works like a charm.
    My AV is McAfee, and I use the firewall built into my D-Link DI-604 router.
    Fast, dependable, no problems, no attacks.

    Cheers! (and good luck if you stick with MS IE.)

    John <><

    A wise monkey is a monkey who doesn't monkey
    with an other monkey's monkey.
    (A very free paraphrase of Exodus 20:14).
    John, Apr 15, 2005
  7. The One

    Skratz Guest

    The One wrote:
    > I've used Firefox for a few months now, I know its more secure than IE
    > but...... frustrating isn't the word, I've been sitting here for about 20
    > minutes now and it wont allow me to load up any web page as it is supposedly
    > unavailable.

    20 minutes?? i didn't know there were still people who had so much time
    to wait for a webpage.
    Webpage? what webpage, where is the link. Why do you come here ranting
    about your problem without even providing something that can be used to
    help you solve your problem?

    > However the web pages can happily be viewed in IE without any problems what so ever.

    IE is not a standards complient webbrowser, it is some pile of code that
    just processes anything you throw at it, including malware, spyware and
    other crap you never wanted it to process.

    > Where Firefox is potentially an excellent browser, it still needs drastic tweeking to be a competative browser.

    It already is a excellent standards complient webbrowser.

    > With relevent spyware blockers and a decent firewall, IE is still the better
    > option as there as too many problems within Firefox such as sudden
    > unavailability of any web pages, on startup the browser screen wont open but
    > is running under processes in the background just to name a couple. Maybe it
    > was designed for use under Windows ME.

    So you want to use a OS that has been known to be the worst OS made by
    MS and then complain you can't get software to run on it propperly.
    Even though you don't even know that that is the problem.
    You also like it much more to install 15 programmes to have the illusion
    of being safe, rather than installing yust one program that does exactly
    the same than half the programmes you installed and prevents what the
    other half is needed to clean out.

    --
    No one looks weird at somebody who asks things he doesn't know, but most
    people will look weird and ignore people who rant about things they have
    Skratz, Apr 15, 2005
  8. On 2005-04-15, The One <> wrote:

    > I've used Firefox for a few months now, I know its more secure than IE
    > but...... frustrating isn't the word, I've been sitting here for about 20
    > minutes now and it wont allow me to load up any web page as it is supposedly
    > unavailable.
    >
    > However the web pages can happily be viewed in IE without any problems what
    > so ever.

    What sites, specifically? I've been using Phoenix/Firebird/Firefox for a
    couple years already and the only sites that have given me problems are
    ones that insist on using non-standards compliant HTML. That is hardly
    Firefox's problem.

    > Where Firefox is potentially an excellent browser, it still needs drastic
    > tweeking to be a competative browser.

    Hmm. "While Internet Explorer is potentially an excellent browser, it
    still needs drastic tweaking to be a competative, secure, and
    standards-compliant browser." :)

    --

    John ()
    John Thompson, Apr 15, 2005
  9. The One

    Big Will Guest

    The One wrote:
    > I've used Firefox for a few months now, I know its more secure than IE
    > but...... frustrating isn't the word, I've been sitting here for about 20
    > minutes now and it wont allow me to load up any web page as it is supposedly
    > unavailable.
    >
    > However the web pages can happily be viewed in IE without any problems what
    > so ever.
    >
    > Where Firefox is potentially an excellent browser, it still needs drastic
    > tweeking to be a competative browser.
    >
    > With relevent spyware blockers and a decent firewall, IE is still the better
    > option as there as too many problems within Firefox such as sudden
    > unavailability of any web pages, on startup the browser screen wont open but
    > is running under processes in the background just to name a couple. Maybe it
    > was designed for use under Windows ME.

    how about letting us know what pages you're trying to load, so that we
    could verify if it's the browser or maybe something screwy on your computer.

    Regards,

    Will
    Big Will, Apr 16, 2005
  10. The One

    The One Guest

    > Hmm. "While Internet Explorer is potentially an excellent browser, it
    > still needs drastic tweaking to be a competative, secure, and
    > standards-compliant browser." :)

    Hmmm it is still better than Firefox whatevers wrong with it.
    The One, Apr 17, 2005
  11. The One

    John Coxon Guest

    In the two thousand and fifth year of Bob, The One's voice said the
    following, in wonderful perfect quadrophonic sound with distortion levels so
    low as to make a man weep:

    >>Hmm. "While Internet Explorer is potentially an excellent browser, it
    >>still needs drastic tweaking to be a competative, secure, and
    >>standards-compliant browser." :)

    > Hmmm it is still better than Firefox whatevers wrong with it.

    It isn't better than Firefox, though. It's horrible. If a 16 year old can
    make Firefox work, Firefox cannot be that bad. I have less problems with it
    than I do with IE.

    --
    John Coxon

    A mathematician is a machine for converting coffee into theorems.

    Email: john[dot]coxon[at]gmail[dot]com
    Website: http://alphacentauri.8k.com
    Missing footnotes: http://www.nut.house.cx/cgi-bin/nemowiki.pl?ISFN
    ZZ9 - the official HHGG appreciation society: http://www.zz9.org/
    John Coxon, Apr 17, 2005
  12. On 2005-04-17, The One <peaceful@hereatlast> wrote:
    >> Hmm. "While Internet Explorer is potentially an excellent browser, it
    >> still needs drastic tweaking to be a competative, secure, and
    >> standards-compliant browser." :)

    > Hmmm it is still better than Firefox whatevers wrong with it.

    Perhaps for you it is. Isn't it nice that we have a choice?

    --

    John ()
    John Thompson, Apr 17, 2005
  13. The One

    Nate Goulet Guest

    I've found FireFox runs great on a network of mostly Windows 98SE
    machines. Typically 600mhz Celerons. Also use it on a PIII 450mhz,
    runs great too.

    Very rarely any pop-ups. Some sites do not work, but not many. And I
    simply use IE for them as that is what we're supposed to do.

    There is no doubt that IE is more compatible for the majority of web
    sites out there. Sometimes getting them to run on FireFox, when you
    can, is more complicated than simply using IE. Some features are
    disabled by default in FireFox because the features are security
    hazards.

    Performance is certainly better on FireFox, but the main reason people
    use it is to feel safer from all the spyware which causes a lot of
    problems with hijackings, etc. Since switching 30 machines or so to
    FireFox over the past few months, we haven't had any spyware related
    issues (yet).

    The only thing I don't like about FireFox is the whole idea is to be
    safer than IE, and not have to install critical security updates
    constantly. Lately the frequency of the updates has been hitting
    FireFox almost as fast as IE. Somebody must be targeting FireFox now
    i'm guessing.

    Most people in the home especially don't bother to install the updates
    in IE, so i'd think they'd be safer with FireFox, but if the updates
    for FireFox are just as frequent, than maybe not. At least the pop
    ups are gone.

    Nate Goulet, Apr 18, 2005
  14. The One

    Erik Guest

    On Sun, 17 Apr 2005 12:02:48 +0100, "The One" <peaceful@hereatlast>
    wrote:

    >> Hmm. "While Internet Explorer is potentially an excellent browser, it
    >> still needs drastic tweaking to be a competative, secure, and
    >> standards-compliant browser." :)

    >Hmmm it is still better than Firefox whatevers wrong with it.

    I use Opera as my primary browser but as an alternative browser I
    prefer K-Meleon to Firefox. http://kmeleon.sourceforge.net/ .
    --

    Erik
    Erik, Apr 19, 2005
  15. The One

    gman Guest

    The One wrote:
    > "The One" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>I've used Firefox for a few months now, I know its more secure than IE
    >>but...... frustrating isn't the word, I've been sitting here for about 20
    >>minutes now and it wont allow me to load up any web page as it is

    > supposedly
    >
    >>unavailable.
    >>
    >>However the web pages can happily be viewed in IE without any problems

    > what
    >
    >>so ever.
    >>
    >>Where Firefox is potentially an excellent browser, it still needs drastic
    >>tweeking to be a competative browser.
    >>
    >>With relevent spyware blockers and a decent firewall, IE is still the

    > better
    >
    >>option as there as too many problems within Firefox such as sudden
    >>unavailability of any web pages, on startup the browser screen wont open

    > but
    >
    >>is running under processes in the background just to name a couple. Maybe

    > it
    >
    >>was designed for use under Windows ME.
    >>

    > IE is also faster.

    This problem i have experienced, but it is a minor one. Make sure u
    connect to the isp before loading up firefox.
    gman, Apr 26, 2005
  16. The One

    John Guest

    On Tue, 26 Apr 2005 21:52:57 GMT, gman <> wrote:

    >> IE is also faster.
    >>

    >This problem i have experienced, but it is a minor one. Make sure u
    >connect to the isp before loading up firefox.

    Excellent advice!!!!
    Actually, as I understand it, all browsers work better when the computer is
    connected to the internet . . .

    John, Apr 27, 2005
  17. The One

    Guest

    In the case of web pages not being available, I just reboot my
    computer, that fixes the problem. Occasionally inconvenient, but I am
    not of the computer generation, so, for me,Firefox runs quicker, more
    error-free, safer from intrusion than IE6. If a web page requires IE6,
    I just use the "view page in IE" extension on a per occasion basis. The
    Firefox extensions I use (too many to mention) make internet surfing a
    much more enjoyable experience.

    The One wrote:
    > I've used Firefox for a few months now, I know its more secure than

    IE
    > but...... frustrating isn't the word, I've been sitting here for

    about 20
    > minutes now and it wont allow me to load up any web page as it is

    supposedly
    > unavailable.
    >
    > However the web pages can happily be viewed in IE without any

    problems what
    > so ever.
    >
    > Where Firefox is potentially an excellent browser, it still needs

    drastic
    > tweeking to be a competative browser.
    >
    > With relevent spyware blockers and a decent firewall, IE is still the

    better
    > option as there as too many problems within Firefox such as sudden
    > unavailability of any web pages, on startup the browser screen wont

    open but
    > is running under processes in the background just to name a couple.

    Maybe it
    > was designed for use under Windows ME.
    , Apr 27, 2005