Firefox is Dying

Discussion in 'Firefox' started by jw@myplace.com, Aug 30, 2010.

  1. Guest

    Several years ago I thought Firefox was the greatest browser ever
    created. But unfortunately it's dying from bloat. They just keep
    making it more and more bloated to the point that it now takes over
    one full minute to load. I'm not the most patient person when I have
    to wait that long for ANY software to load.

    Awhile ago I found myself going back to using IE as my default browser
    because I just could not go thru this long wait everytime I clicked on
    a weblink in usenet or an email. But I soon found myself struggling
    with IE's usual crashing and freezing bullshit.

    This is when someone told me about K-Melion. K-Melion is also made by
    Mozilla, and it's everything that Firefox used to be. Better yet, my
    older computer that still uses Windows98 can even run K-Melion (which
    any version 3 of FF will not run in Win98). K-Melion loads as fast as
    IE did, and after several months of use, it's NEVER crashed once.

    I find myself using K-Melion as my default browser now. I have only
    opened FF a few times recently, and only because I wanted to use the
    Addon "Download Helper" to download Youtube videos. Well, suddenly
    "Download Helper" will no longer download videos from Youtube. I dont
    know if this is due to Youtube changing something, Firefox just
    refusing to use that addon anymore, or the addon itself. All I know
    is that I am beginning to hate FF.

    I just wish K-Melion had a similar addon, because I'd wipe FF right
    off my harddrive. K-Melion even renders web pages correctly, when FF
    wont. Goodbye Firefox.... you were a good friend until you got too
    fat and bloated. Now you're useless. (just like a few women I once
    knew).

    Welcome K-Melion !
    , Aug 30, 2010

  2. Justin Guest

    wrote on [Mon, 30 Aug 2010 03:24:21 -0500]:
    > Several years ago I thought Firefox was the greatest browser ever
    > created. But unfortunately it's dying from bloat. They just keep
    > making it more and more bloated to the point that it now takes over
    > one full minute to load. I'm not the most patient person when I have
    > to wait that long for ANY software to load.
    >
    > Awhile ago I found myself going back to using IE as my default browser
    > because I just could not go thru this long wait everytime I clicked on
    > a weblink in usenet or an email. But I soon found myself struggling
    > with IE's usual crashing and freezing bullshit.
    >
    > This is when someone told me about K-Melion. K-Melion is also made by
    > Mozilla, and it's everything that Firefox used to be. Better yet, my
    > older computer that still uses Windows98 can even run K-Melion (which
    > any version 3 of FF will not run in Win98). K-Melion loads as fast as
    > IE did, and after several months of use, it's NEVER crashed once.
    >
    > I find myself using K-Melion as my default browser now. I have only
    > opened FF a few times recently, and only because I wanted to use the
    > Addon "Download Helper" to download Youtube videos. Well, suddenly
    > "Download Helper" will no longer download videos from Youtube. I dont
    > know if this is due to Youtube changing something, Firefox just
    > refusing to use that addon anymore, or the addon itself. All I know
    > is that I am beginning to hate FF.
    >
    > I just wish K-Melion had a similar addon, because I'd wipe FF right
    > off my harddrive. K-Melion even renders web pages correctly, when FF
    > wont. Goodbye Firefox.... you were a good friend until you got too
    > fat and bloated. Now you're useless. (just like a few women I once
    > knew).
    >
    > Welcome K-Melion !

    try chrome
    Justin, Aug 30, 2010

  3. Justin Guest

    Kuskokwim wrote on [Mon, 30 Aug 2010 06:59:27 -0700]:
    > On Mon, 30 Aug 2010 11:03:37 +0000 (UTC), Justin wrote:
    >
    >> try chrome

    > Chrome has no bookmarks sidebar and no print preview. A deal killer for me.

    Who prints web pages?
    Justin, Aug 30, 2010
  4. Justin Guest

    Ed Mullen wrote on [Mon, 30 Aug 2010 14:18:38 -0400]:
    > Justin wrote:
    >> Kuskokwim wrote on [Mon, 30 Aug 2010 06:59:27 -0700]:

    >>> Chrome has no bookmarks sidebar and no print preview. A deal killer for me.

    >> Who prints web pages?
    >>

    > You never bought anything online and wanted a record of the transaction?

    Sure, but I buy from places that send me an email receipt.

    Or print to file, who cares if you preview that?
    Justin, Aug 30, 2010
  5. Guest

    <> wrote:

    >> I just wish K-Melion had a similar addon, because I'd wipe FF right
    >> off my harddrive. K-Melion even renders web pages correctly, when FF
    >> wont. Goodbye Firefox.... you were a good friend until you got too
    >> fat and bloated. Now you're useless. (just like a few women I once
    >> knew).
    >>
    >> Welcome K-Melion !

    >try chrome

    Chrome dont run in Windows 98, and although I have XP on one computer,
    I still use the Win98 computer the most. I have never cared for any
    version of Windows since Win2000. Besides that, my XP computer is not
    even setup to go on the internet. All the viruses are for XP and up.
    Using Win98 I dotn even need AV software.
    , Aug 30, 2010
  6. Ralph Fox Guest

    On Mon, 30 Aug 2010 03:24:21 -0500, in message <>
    wrote:

    > Several years ago I thought Firefox was the greatest browser ever
    > created. But unfortunately it's dying from bloat. They just keep
    > making it more and more bloated to the point that it now takes over
    > one full minute to load.

    Firefox loads in 2 seconds here.

    However, Firefox is slow on ten-year-old computers (like yours).

    > This is when someone told me about K-Melion.

    The name is K-Meleon, not K-Melion.

    > K-Melion is also made by
    > Mozilla

    No, it is not.

    K-Meleon uses the Gecko rendering engine which is made by Mozilla.
    However, the rest of K-Meleon is made by its own development team.
    The K-Meleon team uses Sourceforge facilities, not Mozilla facilities.

    --
    Regards
    Ralph
    Ralph Fox, Aug 30, 2010
  7. Justin Guest

    wrote on [Mon, 30 Aug 2010 15:20:11 -0500]:
    > On Mon, 30 Aug 2010 11:03:37 +0000 (UTC), Justin
    > <> wrote:
    >

    >>> I just wish K-Melion had a similar addon, because I'd wipe FF right
    >>> off my harddrive. K-Melion even renders web pages correctly, when FF
    >>> wont. Goodbye Firefox.... you were a good friend until you got too
    >>> fat and bloated. Now you're useless. (just like a few women I once
    >>> knew).
    >>>
    >>> Welcome K-Melion !

    >>try chrome

    > Chrome dont run in Windows 98, and although I have XP on one computer,
    > I still use the Win98 computer the most. I have never cared for any
    > version of Windows since Win2000. Besides that, my XP computer is not
    > even setup to go on the internet. All the viruses are for XP and up.
    > Using Win98 I dotn even need AV software.

    Then frankly, you're an idiot. You should run Linux or something if
    you are not a fan of windows, running a 12 year old OS that hasn't had
    any security updates in years is stupid.
    Justin, Aug 31, 2010
  8. Justin Guest

    Kuskokwim wrote on [Mon, 30 Aug 2010 15:15:07 -0700]:
    > On Mon, 30 Aug 2010 18:04:35 +0000 (UTC), Justin wrote:
    >
    >> Kuskokwim wrote on [Mon, 30 Aug 2010 06:59:27 -0700]:

    >>> Chrome has no bookmarks sidebar and no print preview. A deal killer for me.

    >> Who prints web pages?

    > What a silly reply.
    >
    > I print Web pages every day and if you Google "chrome print preview" you
    > will find that many other people want this feature.

    And I work all day every day on the web and never print a web page. PDFs, sure
    but they are in their own app that isn't chrome.

    > Chrome's handling of bookmarks is atrocious.

    works well for me. Same as firefox
    Justin, Aug 31, 2010
  9. jones Guest

    >>> You never bought anything online and wanted a record of the transaction?

    >> Sure, but I buy from places that send me an email receipt.
    >> Or print to file, who cares if you preview that?

    > If it's something trivial I don't bother. However, when I buy something
    > non-trivial I want a paper record. YMMV

    When I buy something online I screen capture the details before I checkout
    of the order, then I have a record of the purchase. If you want to print
    that out, you can also once you save it to your hard drive.

    Regards
    Katherine
    jones, Aug 31, 2010
  10. Ralph Fox Guest

    On Tue, 31 Aug 2010 03:49:59 +0000 (UTC), in message <i5hu56$lao$-september.org>
    Justin wrote:

    > wrote on [Mon, 30 Aug 2010 15:20:11 -0500]:
    > > On Mon, 30 Aug 2010 11:03:37 +0000 (UTC), Justin
    > > <> wrote:
    > >

    > > Chrome dont run in Windows 98, and although I have XP on one computer,
    > > I still use the Win98 computer the most. I have never cared for any
    > > version of Windows since Win2000. Besides that, my XP computer is not
    > > even setup to go on the internet. All the viruses are for XP and up.
    > > Using Win98 I dotn even need AV software.

    > Then frankly, you're an idiot. You should run Linux or something if
    > you are not a fan of windows, running a 12 year old OS that hasn't had
    > any security updates in years is stupid.

    Win98 is a great deal more secure than the later Windows like the
    original XP. A lot of the vulns started appearing in IE5.x and in
    the later versions of Windows. Just because some later versions of
    Windows needed heaps of patches before they became secure, it doesn't
    mean you should assume the same would go for Win98.

    To make Win98 safe the OP will need to have closed port 139 (preventing
    NetBIOS access into his PC). IMNSHO this is best done by renaming
    Windows\System\VNBT.386 to something like VNBT.BAK -- as described
    in these pages
    http://www.nwi.net/~pchelp/security/issues/sharing.htm#names
    http://rshweb.com/Win95/win95tips6.htm#More Blue Screen Blues
    http://www.grc.com/su-rebinding9x.htm

    Just FYI - I ran a Win98 box for over a decade, accessing the Internet
    daily, and it never got infected. During this time, an XP box got
    infected across the net through a vulnerability in Microsoft Windows
    LSASS. This LSASS vuln does not exist at all in Win98 (and NT4.0),
    but made its appearance in Win2K.

    --
    Regards
    Ralph
    Ralph Fox, Aug 31, 2010
  11. Joy Beeson Guest

    On Tue, 31 Aug 2010 03:49:59 +0000 (UTC), Justin
    <> wrote:

    > Then frankly, you're an idiot.

    Plonk. Global. Permanent.

    --
    Joy Beeson
    joy beeson at comcast dot net
    Joy Beeson, Sep 1, 2010
  12. Justin_ Guest

    Joy Beeson wrote on [Tue, 31 Aug 2010 22:14:44 -0400]:
    > On Tue, 31 Aug 2010 03:49:59 +0000 (UTC), Justin
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> Then frankly, you're an idiot.

    > Plonk. Global. Permanent.

    Good luck with that.
    Justin_, Sep 1, 2010
  13. bucky3 Guest

    On Aug 30, 4:03 am, Justin <> wrote:
    > try chrome

    I tried out chrome because I read it had separate processes for each
    tab. But turns out that's not entirely true. By default, it uses the
    same process for tabs from the same domain. So when 1 tab crashed, it
    still took down another 10 tabs with it. I also did not notice any
    speed improvement with the separate processes. I spent an entire month
    devoutly learning all the ins and outs of chrome. Didn't suit me, so I
    switched back to Firefox.

    Nowadays, when flash crashes, it doesn't take down the entire browser.
    In the end, I found Firefox to be faster and more stable for my usage.
    bucky3, Sep 8, 2010