    How is this solved?

    Regards,

    Dan
    Dan C, Apr 7, 2007

  2. Dan C

    Miller Guest

    *Dan C* wrote on 07.04.07 17:49:
    > I am attempting to migrate my Firefox usage from one XP
    > Pro user to another on the same computer. I have copied
    > (there are no hidden files, all are exposed) my user
    > profile from the original user to user no 2. Prior to
    > doing that opening Firefox under either worked. Since
    > copying profile to user 2, Firefox under user 2 does not
    > open but displays the error message: "Firefox is already
    > running, but is not responding. To open a new window you
    > must first close the existing FF process, or restart your
    > computer."
    >
    > But FF is not already running. Restarting does not solve
    > the problem.

    I'm not quite sure, but you could check if there's a file called
    "parent.lock" in the FF-profile while FF is not running.
    If so, you can safely delete it and try to start FF.

    HTH, Miller
    Miller, Apr 8, 2007

  3. Dan C

    Dan C Guest

    Miller wrote:
    > *Dan C* wrote on 07.04.07 17:49:
    >> I am attempting to migrate my Firefox usage from one XP
    >> Pro user to another on the same computer. I have copied
    >> (there are no hidden files, all are exposed) my user
    >> profile from the original user to user no 2. Prior to
    >> doing that opening Firefox under either worked. Since
    >> copying profile to user 2, Firefox under user 2 does not
    >> open but displays the error message: "Firefox is already
    >> running, but is not responding. To open a new window you
    >> must first close the existing FF process, or restart your
    >> computer."
    >>
    >> But FF is not already running. Restarting does not solve
    >> the problem.

    > I'm not quite sure, but you could check if there's a file called
    > "parent.lock" in the FF-profile while FF is not running.
    > If so, you can safely delete it and try to start FF.
    >
    > HTH, Miller

    Miller,

    Thanks for reply. Deleting said file did not make a
    difference.

    Is this a FF problem or a Windows problem?

    Dan
    Dan C, Apr 8, 2007
  4. Dan C

    Miller Guest

    *Dan C* wrote on 08.04.07 22:47:
    > Miller wrote:
    >> *Dan C* wrote on 07.04.07 17:49:
    >>> I am attempting to migrate my Firefox usage from one XP
    >>> Pro user to another on the same computer. I have copied
    >>> (there are no hidden files, all are exposed) my user
    >>> profile from the original user to user no 2. Prior to
    >>> doing that opening Firefox under either worked. Since
    >>> copying profile to user 2, Firefox under user 2 does not
    >>> open but displays the error message: "Firefox is already
    >>> running, but is not responding. To open a new window you
    >>> must first close the existing FF process, or restart your
    >>> computer."
    >>>
    >>> But FF is not already running. Restarting does not solve
    >>> the problem.

    >> I'm not quite sure, but you could check if there's a file called
    >> "parent.lock" in the FF-profile while FF is not running.
    >> If so, you can safely delete it and try to start FF.
    >>
    >> HTH, Miller

    > Miller,
    >
    > Thanks for reply. Deleting said file did not make a
    > difference.
    >
    > Is this a FF problem or a Windows problem?

    Hmmm.... are you *really* sure, that FF is not running? Checked it
    with the Windows-Taskmanager? Also in the other, not running
    Windows-profile?
    If so, it seems to me like you've got a problem with your user-accounts
    under Windows.

    cu, Miller
    Miller, Apr 8, 2007
  5. Dan C

    Dan C Guest

    Miller wrote:
    > *Dan C* wrote on 08.04.07 22:47:
    >> Miller wrote:

    >>> I'm not quite sure, but you could check if there's a file called
    >>> "parent.lock" in the FF-profile while FF is not running.
    >>> If so, you can safely delete it and try to start FF.
    >>>
    >>> HTH, Miller

    >> Miller,
    >>
    >> Thanks for reply. Deleting said file did not make a
    >> difference.
    >>
    >> Is this a FF problem or a Windows problem?

    > Hmmm.... are you *really* sure, that FF is not running? Checked it
    > with the Windows-Taskmanager? Also in the other, not running
    > Windows-profile?
    > If so, it seems to me like you've got a problem with your user-accounts
    > under Windows.
    >
    > cu, Miller

    I did check with Taskmanager, and it is definitely not
    running. On boot up, going to the user in question, I get
    error message, not so on the primary user. And it does
    not show up in TM then either.

    To clarify, FF under secondary profile would start up
    "before" I copied the user profile.

    Dan
    Dan C, Apr 9, 2007
  6. Dan C

    Miller Guest

    Let me ask another question. Did you copy the first profile with
    kind of explorer, etc. *over* the second profile *at whole*?
    (I mean the whole profile as it is?)

    You should know, that in the profiles some paths are stored
    that FF needs to find the correct data.
    At first there is the "profiles.ini", directly under blabla..\Mozilla\Firefox
    In the "profiles.ini" there's a line like "Path=Profiles/vxyo0dte.FF 2.0"
    which tells FF where the appropriate profile is located.
    Next there is the the "prefs.js" *in* the profile which can contain also
    paths needed by FF.
    If you simply copy the whole profile from one user-account to
    another you have at least to modify these paths to point to the
    correct folders.

    HTH, BM
    [I'm no native English-speaker, so just ask if you don't understand
    what i mean. ;-) ]
    Miller, Apr 9, 2007
  7. Dan C

    Dan C Guest

    Miller wrote:

    > Let me ask another question. Did you copy the first profile with
    > kind of explorer, etc. *over* the second profile *at whole*?
    > (I mean the whole profile as it is?)
    >
    > You should know, that in the profiles some paths are stored
    > that FF needs to find the correct data.
    > At first there is the "profiles.ini", directly under blabla..\Mozilla\Firefox
    > In the "profiles.ini" there's a line like "Path=Profiles/vxyo0dte.FF 2.0"
    > which tells FF where the appropriate profile is located.
    > Next there is the the "prefs.js" *in* the profile which can contain also
    > paths needed by FF.
    > If you simply copy the whole profile from one user-account to
    > another you have at least to modify these paths to point to the
    > correct folders.
    >
    > HTH, BM
    > [I'm no native English-speaker, so just ask if you don't understand
    > what i mean. ;-) ]

    You are communicating well, I would not have known you
    were non native English communicator.

    Miller,

    I did not copy over the other profile, I renamed old one
    under that user and copied into proper directory.

    I did find and edit the profiles.ini and gave it a try and
    FF loaded up properly.

    I did not change prefs.js because I am unable to properly
    open it. And do I really need to change since, it seems,
    my opening of FF worked. Now there may be some other
    problem show up that entails a change.

    Dan
    Dan C, Apr 10, 2007
  8. Dan C

    Miller Guest

    *Dan C* wrote on 10.04.07 04:33:
    > Miller wrote:

    >> You should know, that in the profiles some paths are stored
    >> that FF needs to find the correct data.
    >> At first there is the "profiles.ini", directly under blabla..\Mozilla\Firefox
    >> In the "profiles.ini" there's a line like "Path=Profiles/vxyo0dte.FF 2.0"
    >> which tells FF where the appropriate profile is located.
    >> Next there is the the "prefs.js" *in* the profile which can contain also
    >> paths needed by FF.
    >> If you simply copy the whole profile from one user-account to
    >> another you have at least to modify these paths to point to the
    >> correct folders.

    > I did find and edit the profiles.ini and gave it a try and
    > FF loaded up properly.

    Sounds good so far.

    > I did not change prefs.js because I am unable to properly
    > open it.

    The "prefs.js" is only a simple textfile which you can open and edit
    with a plain-text-editor like notepad.

    > And do I really need to change since, it seems,
    > my opening of FF worked. Now there may be some other
    > problem show up that entails a change.

    As long as you don't get any further errors you can of course
    leave "prefs.js" as it is. Depending on the data stored in the
    "prefs.js" you could get some other errors in the future, because
    FF _could_ use or store data in the wrong profile. So maybe it's
    worth to take a look to the "prefs.js" in your new profile just to make
    sure, that there are no paths pointing to the old profile.

    cu, Miller
    Miller, Apr 10, 2007
  9. Dan C

    Guest

    On Apr 9, 9:38 pm, Miller <> wrote:
    > *Dan C* wrote on 10.04.07 04:33:
    > > I did not change prefs.js because I am unable to properly
    > > open it.

    > The "prefs.js" is only a simple textfile which you can open and edit
    > with a plain-text-editor like notepad.

    The prefs.js file is a javascript file. Double clicking on it won't
    open it. You have to open it from within another program, such as
    notepad or wordpad or whatever.
    , Apr 10, 2007