Firefox in a multi-user network?

Discussion in 'Firefox' started by Kilian A. Foth, May 2, 2005.

  1. Hello world,

    I recently got the task of upgrading our ancient browsers in a Solaris
    8 cluster. Naturally I want Firefox. But I'm having zero luck with
    getting any recent firefox to run. I tried `contributed' builds from a
    variety of sources, but every one of them either

    - complains that various OS patches are needed, half of which do
    not even exist according to Sun

    - simply says `Killed' when started

    - expects to have its installation directory world-writable so it can
    muck about with the extensions/ directory. Naturally, this is out
    of the question, since the packages directory is user-unwritable
    (in fact, the entire partition is mounted read-only).

    - some combination of the above.

    I have tried building the thing myself; an hour later the source is
    still extracting, so it will be a *long* time before I know whether
    that helps. Before I plunge into the madness of compilation
    dependencies -- there a preferred way of geting a recent firefox to
    run in a multi-user environment?

    --
    No animal was harmed in the composition of this message.
    Kilian A. Foth, May 2, 2005

  2. On 2005-05-02, Kilian A. Foth <-hamburg.de> wrote:

    > I recently got the task of upgrading our ancient browsers in a Solaris
    > 8 cluster. Naturally I want Firefox. But I'm having zero luck with
    > getting any recent firefox to run. I tried `contributed' builds from a
    > variety of sources, but every one of them either
    >
    > - complains that various OS patches are needed, half of which do
    > not even exist according to Sun
    >
    > - simply says `Killed' when started
    >
    > - expects to have its installation directory world-writable so it can
    > muck about with the extensions/ directory. Naturally, this is out
    > of the question, since the packages directory is user-unwritable
    > (in fact, the entire partition is mounted read-only).
    >
    > - some combination of the above.

    Well, Solaris 8 *IS* pretty old; is there a reason why you can't update to
    Solaris 9 or 10? Both are available from Sun as free downloads.

    --

    John ()
    John Thompson, May 3, 2005