    --
    Andy Luddy
    Perform appendectomy to reply

    Andy Luddy, Jan 7, 2006

  2. Andy Luddy

    Ralph Fox Guest

    On Sat, 07 Jan 2006 12:12:53 -0500, in message
     <>, Andy Luddy wrote:

    > I have Firefox 1.5 installed on our spare computer, which is an old
    > Windows 98 machine. And it runs fine, but the entry on the task bar,
    > instead of showing the Firefox icon, shows the generic unknown program
    > icon. Not a big problem, but a curious issue. Has anyone ever
    > encountered this? It has happened ever since I first installed FF,
    > which was IIRC 1.0.5, replacing Netscape.

    I am running Win98 too.

    This is a known bug in all Firefox versions up to 1.0.7 when running on Win98,
    but to me this bug appears to have been fixed in Firefox 1.5.

    No matter, here is how you can fix the Firefox icon in Win98...

    1. This is the FAQ entry for this exact problem
    http://www.mozilla.org/support/firefox/faq#win98icon

    2. This is how to change the firefox icon
    http://www.mozilla.org/support/firefox/tips#app_icon

    3. This is where to get firefox icons from
    http://iconpacks.mozdev.org/docs/faq.html

    I have set up separate icons for
    • the firefox main window
    • the bookmarks manager window
    • the download manager window
    • the extensions manager window
    • the js console window
    etc.

    --
    Cheers,
    Ralph

    "Curiosity skilled the cat."

    Ralph Fox, Jan 7, 2006

  3. Andy Luddy

    Andy Luddy Guest

    Ralph Fox wrote:
    > On Sat, 07 Jan 2006 12:12:53 -0500, in message
    > <>, Andy Luddy wrote:
    >

    >>I have Firefox 1.5 installed on our spare computer, which is an old
    >>Windows 98 machine. And it runs fine, but the entry on the task bar,
    >>instead of showing the Firefox icon, shows the generic unknown program
    >>icon. Not a big problem, but a curious issue. Has anyone ever
    >>encountered this? It has happened ever since I first installed FF,
    >>which was IIRC 1.0.5, replacing Netscape.

    > I am running Win98 too.
    >
    > This is a known bug in all Firefox versions up to 1.0.7 when running on Win98,
    > but to me this bug appears to have been fixed in Firefox 1.5.
    >
    > No matter, here is how you can fix the Firefox icon in Win98...
    >
    > 1. This is the FAQ entry for this exact problem
    > http://www.mozilla.org/support/firefox/faq#win98icon
    >
    > 2. This is how to change the firefox icon
    > http://www.mozilla.org/support/firefox/tips#app_icon
    >
    > 3. This is where to get firefox icons from
    > http://iconpacks.mozdev.org/docs/faq.html
    >

    > I have set up separate icons for
    > • the firefox main window
    > • the bookmarks manager window
    > • the download manager window
    > • the extensions manager window
    > • the js console window
    > etc.

    Thanks! Maybe I forgot to upgrade the spare, and it's still running
    1.0.7. If so, <Smack> D'oh!

    Andy Luddy, Jan 7, 2006
  4. Andy Luddy

    Ralph Fox Guest

    On Sat, 07 Jan 2006 14:16:38 -0500, in message
     <>, Andy Luddy wrote:

    > Thanks!

    You're welcome.

    BTW, you might still want to install icons on Firefox 1.5 on Win98.
    Firefox 1.5 only has the standard Firefox icon, and not different
    icons for bookmarks manager window, download manager window, etc.

    Ralph Fox, Jan 8, 2006