Firefox - How to get rid of Plugin Bar

Discussion in 'Firefox' started by Me, Feb 15, 2005.

  1. Me

    Me Guest

    I am using the latest Firefox. I do not want plugins. I do not use
    plugins, I do not want to be asked about plugins.
    LEAVE ME ALONE !!!!

    Is there any way to kill that damn bar that pops up every 3rd webpage
    asking for plugins?

    The firefox people really need to add an easy way to disable some
    things like this. Like add some more items to the toolbar. Either
    that, or can someone come up with some secondary software to allow for
    more options. (Maybe that would be considered a plugin in itself, and
    is the only one that I want or need).

    I really like Firefox, except for the fact that is lacks so many
    options to take control of it.
     
    Me, Feb 15, 2005
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Me

    Moz Champion Guest

    Me wrote:

    > I am using the latest Firefox. I do not want plugins. I do not use
    > plugins, I do not want to be asked about plugins.
    > LEAVE ME ALONE !!!!
    >
    > Is there any way to kill that damn bar that pops up every 3rd webpage
    > asking for plugins?
    >
    > The firefox people really need to add an easy way to disable some
    > things like this. Like add some more items to the toolbar. Either
    > that, or can someone come up with some secondary software to allow for
    > more options. (Maybe that would be considered a plugin in itself, and
    > is the only one that I want or need).
    >
    > I really like Firefox, except for the fact that is lacks so many
    > options to take control of it.
    >


    Well, if you dont want sound during browsing, or dont want to see flash
    animations, or dont want to view pdf documents, then yep, I guess you
    dont need plug ins then

    Firefox is one of the most configurable programs available.

    You dont want to be remineded that the page requires you to have a plug
    in to experience it as the web author designed it, well you can do that
    too. You can add lots of things to your toolbar as well, they are
    customizeable in Firefox.

    Work in the latest branches should provide you with a tool in the User
    Interface to disable plug ins totally as well, but that may be a few
    months yet.

    You may wish to review the following page, which lists some of the
    configurations you can make with Firefox.
    http://www.mozilla.org/support/firefox/faq

    To disable the plug in warning, then
    using about:config
    change the plugin.display_plugin_downloader_dialog to false

    Or create/write a user.js file with the following line

    user_pref("plugin.display_plugin_downloader_dialog", false);


    --
    Mozilla Champion
    UFAQ - http://www.UFAQ.org
    Mozilla Champions - http://mozillachampions.mozdev.org
    Mozilla Manual - http://mozmanual.mozdev.org/
     
    Moz Champion, Feb 15, 2005
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Me

    Splibbilla Guest

    Me <> in news::

    > Is there any way to kill that damn bar that pops up every 3rd webpage
    > asking for plugins?
    >
    > The firefox people really need to add an easy way to disable some
    > things like this.


    this

    http://groups.google.co.uk/groups?a...scoring=r&as_oq=config prefs &as_drrb=b&as_mi
    nd=12&as_minm=7&as_miny=2004&as_maxd=14&as_maxm=2&as_maxy=2005
    led to

    http://groups.google.co.uk/groups?threadm=
    which seems relevant

    ---
    also, it might be useful to save a search like
    http://groups.google.co.uk/groups?s...lla config | prefs&as_mind=12&as_minm=7&as_mi
    ny=2004&as_maxd=14&as_maxm=12&as_maxy=2005



    --
    WinMe, Moz 1.7.5, all profiles: GoogleBar, PrefBar, CopyURL, IEView, ,,, and??? some bugmenot.jar, sage.jar. Usually java off,
    js on. Might GoogleBar be "mergeable" with an (added) src chooser in PrefBar (v. 3.0, build date 20041224)?
     
    Splibbilla, Feb 15, 2005
    #3
  4. Me

    Me Guest

    On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 07:40:35 GMT, Moz Champion
    <> wrote:

    >Me wrote:
    >
    >> I am using the latest Firefox. I do not want plugins. I do not use
    >> plugins, I do not want to be asked about plugins.
    >> LEAVE ME ALONE !!!!
    >>
    >> Is there any way to kill that damn bar that pops up every 3rd webpage
    >> asking for plugins?
    >>
    >> The firefox people really need to add an easy way to disable some
    >> things like this. Like add some more items to the toolbar. Either
    >> that, or can someone come up with some secondary software to allow for
    >> more options. (Maybe that would be considered a plugin in itself, and
    >> is the only one that I want or need).
    >>
    >> I really like Firefox, except for the fact that is lacks so many
    >> options to take control of it.
    >>

    >
    >Well, if you dont want sound during browsing, or dont want to see flash
    >animations, or dont want to view pdf documents, then yep, I guess you
    >dont need plug ins then


    Actually, I could live without all of these. In fact I killed Flash
    player by deleting the files, (in both Firefox and IE), and I do my
    best to download PDF files and read them from my own harddrive, or
    they take forever to load. I am rural and can only get dialup
    internet. So, that leaves sounds, which I can live with or without.

    >Firefox is one of the most configurable programs available.


    I know of "about:config" but I am not a computer programmer nor do I
    want to be, particularly at my advanced age. I just want Firefox to
    stop nagging me about plugins! I know the minute I touch anything in
    there I will be reinstalling something.

    >You dont want to be remineded that the page requires you to have a plug
    >in to experience it as the web author designed it, well you can do that
    >too. You can add lots of things to your toolbar as well, they are
    >customizeable in Firefox.
    >
    >Work in the latest branches should provide you with a tool in the User
    >Interface to disable plug ins totally as well, but that may be a few
    >months yet.


    Thank God !!!!

    >You may wish to review the following page, which lists some of the
    >configurations you can make with Firefox.
    >http://www.mozilla.org/support/firefox/faq


    Thanks, I looked here, but honestly, most of it is over my head.

    >To disable the plug in warning, then
    >using about:config
    >change the plugin.display_plugin_downloader_dialog to false


    OK, I was armed and ready to do this.
    I went into "about:config" and there is no such line. There are a few
    others that use the word "plugin" but no exact match.

    >Or create/write a user.js file with the following line
    >
    >user_pref("plugin.display_plugin_downloader_dialog", false);


    This would be ok too, but I have no clue how to do it or where to put
    it.

    ----

    Additionally, while looking at some of the mozilla websites I came
    across a dowload that is supposed to be similar to TweakUI for
    Firefox, and enable all the things found in "about:config" in a menu.
    That sounded just like what I was looking for. I downloaded it, it
    went into my download directory, with a file called preferential.xpi.
    The documentation for it said to download it, and close all Firefox
    windows. When I restart there will be "something" there to allow me to
    use it. I did all of this, and nothing happened except that file is
    now in my download directory, (doing nothing). I clicked on it, I got
    to see all the binary junk in wordpad for windows. It's not an
    executable file, so who knows what the hell it does, other than add
    junk to fill my harddrive.

    I must say that I really like Firefox better than IE, it's less prone
    to crashing, less likely to get hit with spyware or hijacked, and I
    love the tabs. But it's major fault, aside from being slower to load
    than IE (I can live with that), is that one has to have an advanced
    defree in computer programming, with far too much time on their hands
    than I can spare, to modify anything not found in the "Tools" menu.

    I guess I will just have to keep using IE when the plugin nag bars get
    on my nerves, and instead deal with popup ads. Can't win either way !

    PS. What files does "about:config" modify. At least if I can back
    them up on a floppy I will feel better about tampering with the thing.

    Thanks

    Me
     
    Me, Feb 15, 2005
    #4
  5. Me wrote:
    > On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 07:40:35 GMT, Moz Champion
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >
    >>Me wrote:
    >>
    >>
    >>>I am using the latest Firefox. I do not want plugins. I do not use
    >>>plugins, I do not want to be asked about plugins.
    >>>LEAVE ME ALONE !!!!
    >>>
    >>>Is there any way to kill that damn bar that pops up every 3rd webpage
    >>>asking for plugins?
    >>>
    >>>The firefox people really need to add an easy way to disable some
    >>>things like this. Like add some more items to the toolbar. Either
    >>>that, or can someone come up with some secondary software to allow for
    >>>more options. (Maybe that would be considered a plugin in itself, and
    >>>is the only one that I want or need).
    >>>
    >>>I really like Firefox, except for the fact that is lacks so many
    >>>options to take control of it.
    >>>

    >>
    >>Well, if you dont want sound during browsing, or dont want to see flash
    >>animations, or dont want to view pdf documents, then yep, I guess you
    >>dont need plug ins then

    >
    >
    > Actually, I could live without all of these. In fact I killed Flash
    > player by deleting the files, (in both Firefox and IE), and I do my
    > best to download PDF files and read them from my own harddrive, or
    > they take forever to load. I am rural and can only get dialup
    > internet. So, that leaves sounds, which I can live with or without.
    >
    >
    >>Firefox is one of the most configurable programs available.

    >
    >
    > I know of "about:config" but I am not a computer programmer nor do I
    > want to be, particularly at my advanced age. I just want Firefox to
    > stop nagging me about plugins! I know the minute I touch anything in
    > there I will be reinstalling something.
    >
    >
    >>You dont want to be remineded that the page requires you to have a plug
    >>in to experience it as the web author designed it, well you can do that
    >>too. You can add lots of things to your toolbar as well, they are
    >>customizeable in Firefox.
    >>
    >>Work in the latest branches should provide you with a tool in the User
    >>Interface to disable plug ins totally as well, but that may be a few
    >>months yet.

    >
    >
    > Thank God !!!!
    >
    >
    >>You may wish to review the following page, which lists some of the
    >>configurations you can make with Firefox.
    >>http://www.mozilla.org/support/firefox/faq

    >
    >
    > Thanks, I looked here, but honestly, most of it is over my head.
    >
    >
    >>To disable the plug in warning, then
    >>using about:config
    >>change the plugin.display_plugin_downloader_dialog to false

    >
    >
    > OK, I was armed and ready to do this.
    > I went into "about:config" and there is no such line. There are a few
    > others that use the word "plugin" but no exact match.
    >
    >
    >>Or create/write a user.js file with the following line
    >>
    >>user_pref("plugin.display_plugin_downloader_dialog", false);

    >
    >
    > This would be ok too, but I have no clue how to do it or where to put
    > it.
    >
    > ----
    >
    > Additionally, while looking at some of the mozilla websites I came
    > across a dowload that is supposed to be similar to TweakUI for
    > Firefox, and enable all the things found in "about:config" in a menu.
    > That sounded just like what I was looking for. I downloaded it, it
    > went into my download directory, with a file called preferential.xpi.
    > The documentation for it said to download it, and close all Firefox
    > windows. When I restart there will be "something" there to allow me to
    > use it. I did all of this, and nothing happened except that file is
    > now in my download directory, (doing nothing). I clicked on it, I got
    > to see all the binary junk in wordpad for windows. It's not an
    > executable file, so who knows what the hell it does, other than add
    > junk to fill my harddrive.
    >
    > I must say that I really like Firefox better than IE, it's less prone
    > to crashing, less likely to get hit with spyware or hijacked, and I
    > love the tabs. But it's major fault, aside from being slower to load
    > than IE (I can live with that), is that one has to have an advanced
    > defree in computer programming, with far too much time on their hands
    > than I can spare, to modify anything not found in the "Tools" menu.
    >
    > I guess I will just have to keep using IE when the plugin nag bars get
    > on my nerves, and instead deal with popup ads. Can't win either way !
    >
    > PS. What files does "about:config" modify. At least if I can back
    > them up on a floppy I will feel better about tampering with the thing.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Me
    >


    When I go to about:config in FF, I don't see any such pref there either.
    However, you can add it. Right click and choose New>>Boolean.

    Preference name should be:

    plugin.display_plugin_downloader_dialog

    Value should be false.

    Note, I have never wanted to disable the dialog, so I have never
    actually done this. I have no idea how or if it works, but if Moz
    Champion suggests it, its a pretty good bet.

    Also note, while it is very easy to add prefs in about:config, you
    cannot remove them. You can disable them by setting no value, butt they
    will still appear. Should you wish to remove them, you would have to
    edit them out of prefs.js.

    Lee
     
    Leonidas Jones, Feb 15, 2005
    #5
  6. Me

    Me Guest

    On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 19:56:28 GMT, Leonidas Jones <>
    wrote:

    >Me wrote:
    >> On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 07:40:35 GMT, Moz Champion
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >>
    >>>Me wrote:
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>>I am using the latest Firefox. I do not want plugins. I do not use
    >>>>plugins, I do not want to be asked about plugins.
    >>>>LEAVE ME ALONE !!!!
    >>>>
    >>>>Is there any way to kill that damn bar that pops up every 3rd webpage
    >>>>asking for plugins?
    >>>>
    >>>>The firefox people really need to add an easy way to disable some
    >>>>things like this. Like add some more items to the toolbar. Either
    >>>>that, or can someone come up with some secondary software to allow for
    >>>>more options. (Maybe that would be considered a plugin in itself, and
    >>>>is the only one that I want or need).
    >>>>
    >>>>I really like Firefox, except for the fact that is lacks so many
    >>>>options to take control of it.
    >>>>
    >>>
    >>>Well, if you dont want sound during browsing, or dont want to see flash
    >>>animations, or dont want to view pdf documents, then yep, I guess you
    >>>dont need plug ins then

    >>
    >>
    >> Actually, I could live without all of these. In fact I killed Flash
    >> player by deleting the files, (in both Firefox and IE), and I do my
    >> best to download PDF files and read them from my own harddrive, or
    >> they take forever to load. I am rural and can only get dialup
    >> internet. So, that leaves sounds, which I can live with or without.
    >>
    >>
    >>>Firefox is one of the most configurable programs available.

    >>
    >>
    >> I know of "about:config" but I am not a computer programmer nor do I
    >> want to be, particularly at my advanced age. I just want Firefox to
    >> stop nagging me about plugins! I know the minute I touch anything in
    >> there I will be reinstalling something.
    >>
    >>
    >>>You dont want to be remineded that the page requires you to have a plug
    >>>in to experience it as the web author designed it, well you can do that
    >>>too. You can add lots of things to your toolbar as well, they are
    >>>customizeable in Firefox.
    >>>
    >>>Work in the latest branches should provide you with a tool in the User
    >>>Interface to disable plug ins totally as well, but that may be a few
    >>>months yet.

    >>
    >>
    >> Thank God !!!!
    >>
    >>
    >>>You may wish to review the following page, which lists some of the
    >>>configurations you can make with Firefox.
    >>>http://www.mozilla.org/support/firefox/faq

    >>
    >>
    >> Thanks, I looked here, but honestly, most of it is over my head.
    >>
    >>
    >>>To disable the plug in warning, then
    >>>using about:config
    >>>change the plugin.display_plugin_downloader_dialog to false

    >>
    >>
    >> OK, I was armed and ready to do this.
    >> I went into "about:config" and there is no such line. There are a few
    >> others that use the word "plugin" but no exact match.
    >>
    >>
    >>>Or create/write a user.js file with the following line
    >>>
    >>>user_pref("plugin.display_plugin_downloader_dialog", false);

    >>
    >>
    >> This would be ok too, but I have no clue how to do it or where to put
    >> it.
    >>
    >> ----
    >>
    >> Additionally, while looking at some of the mozilla websites I came
    >> across a dowload that is supposed to be similar to TweakUI for
    >> Firefox, and enable all the things found in "about:config" in a menu.
    >> That sounded just like what I was looking for. I downloaded it, it
    >> went into my download directory, with a file called preferential.xpi.
    >> The documentation for it said to download it, and close all Firefox
    >> windows. When I restart there will be "something" there to allow me to
    >> use it. I did all of this, and nothing happened except that file is
    >> now in my download directory, (doing nothing). I clicked on it, I got
    >> to see all the binary junk in wordpad for windows. It's not an
    >> executable file, so who knows what the hell it does, other than add
    >> junk to fill my harddrive.
    >>
    >> I must say that I really like Firefox better than IE, it's less prone
    >> to crashing, less likely to get hit with spyware or hijacked, and I
    >> love the tabs. But it's major fault, aside from being slower to load
    >> than IE (I can live with that), is that one has to have an advanced
    >> defree in computer programming, with far too much time on their hands
    >> than I can spare, to modify anything not found in the "Tools" menu.
    >>
    >> I guess I will just have to keep using IE when the plugin nag bars get
    >> on my nerves, and instead deal with popup ads. Can't win either way !
    >>
    >> PS. What files does "about:config" modify. At least if I can back
    >> them up on a floppy I will feel better about tampering with the thing.
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >>
    >> Me
    >>

    >
    >When I go to about:config in FF, I don't see any such pref there either.
    > However, you can add it. Right click and choose New>>Boolean.
    >
    >Preference name should be:
    >
    >plugin.display_plugin_downloader_dialog
    >
    >Value should be false.
    >
    >Note, I have never wanted to disable the dialog, so I have never
    >actually done this. I have no idea how or if it works, but if Moz
    >Champion suggests it, its a pretty good bet.
    >
    >Also note, while it is very easy to add prefs in about:config, you
    >cannot remove them. You can disable them by setting no value, butt they
    >will still appear. Should you wish to remove them, you would have to
    >edit them out of prefs.js.
    >
    >Lee



    Thanks Lee

    I think this did it unless I just missed all the sites that ask for
    plugins last evening. I should have bookmarked one of them, but
    considering I was getting them all the time, I did not hit one of
    them. Sure is nice !!! That was getting as annoying as popups.
     
    Me, Feb 16, 2005
    #6
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. PaulB

    Get rid of "Find Box/Bar"

    PaulB, Apr 16, 2005, in forum: Firefox
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    609
    PaulB
    Apr 16, 2005
  2. S.Rodgers
    Replies:
    9
    Views:
    499
    Hendrik Maryns
    Dec 14, 2005
  3. Guest

    HELP: Can't get rid of IE search bar

    Guest, Oct 20, 2004, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    5
    Views:
    552
    Noel Paton
    Dec 29, 2004
  4. avalon2
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    860
    avalon2
    Nov 14, 2007
  5. Rolf

    How to get rid of extra task bar?

    Rolf, Jan 28, 2008, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    4,250
    John Holmes
    Jan 28, 2008
Loading...

Share This Page