FireFox History

Discussion in 'Firefox' started by zeroaxe@gmail.com, Jan 31, 2005.

  1. Guest

    Hello all,

    I am sorry if this has been asked before, but I tried searching the
    archives but came up empty handed (maybe I just didnt have the right
    words/word order?).

    Anyway, I was wondering if there is a way to manually remove multiple
    entries from the history file/bar. When one opens the history window
    (Ctrl +H) one gets the list. From there one can right click and Delete
    the entry.

    I surf a lot of Motorcycle/VW Forums (links, pages etc) and my list per
    day is HUGE. A lot of times, I want to remove most of the links, but
    want to keep a minority of 'important' ones in there. I cant for the
    life of me figure out how multiple entries can be removed, without
    right-clicking on each itemand spend half an hour cleaning up.

    I tried backing up the history.dat file, and 'edit' the original one in
    notepad, but the crypting file was just too much for me. is there
    another program thatcan 'decrypt' this file and make it easier to
    remove multiple entries? (or am I scratching at the wrong file in the
    first place?)

    Any help in saving my right wrist of fatigue (I *am* referring to right
    clicking with the mouse you know! ;o) ) will be much welcomed and
    appreciated.

    Thanks in advance.
    T.
    , Jan 31, 2005

  2. Moz Champion Guest

    wrote:

    > Hello all,
    >
    > I am sorry if this has been asked before, but I tried searching the
    > archives but came up empty handed (maybe I just didnt have the right
    > words/word order?).
    >
    > Anyway, I was wondering if there is a way to manually remove multiple
    > entries from the history file/bar. When one opens the history window
    > (Ctrl +H) one gets the list. From there one can right click and Delete
    > the entry.
    >
    > I surf a lot of Motorcycle/VW Forums (links, pages etc) and my list per
    > day is HUGE. A lot of times, I want to remove most of the links, but
    > want to keep a minority of 'important' ones in there. I cant for the
    > life of me figure out how multiple entries can be removed, without
    > right-clicking on each itemand spend half an hour cleaning up.
    >
    > I tried backing up the history.dat file, and 'edit' the original one in
    > notepad, but the crypting file was just too much for me. is there
    > another program thatcan 'decrypt' this file and make it easier to
    > remove multiple entries? (or am I scratching at the wrong file in the
    > first place?)
    >
    > Any help in saving my right wrist of fatigue (I *am* referring to right
    > clicking with the mouse you know! ;o) ) will be much welcomed and
    > appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks in advance.
    > T.

    Simple enough workaround

    Bookmark the ones you want to keep. Then clear history

    --
    Mozilla Champion
    UFAQ - http://www.UFAQ.org
    Moz Champion, Feb 1, 2005

  3. Guest

    Thanks for the reply.

    I understand the work around, but the problem is that my favorites are
    already jam-packed! lol.

    The thing is, I dont want them 'permanently' (I know that I can remove
    them afterwards), so thought that removing the other entries
    manually(multiple) would be easier. This is much more usefull if I need
    to reboot the machine for what ever reason.

    The only way that I have managed to do it now, is create a folder on my
    desktop with the day's date, copy the shortcuts in there, delete
    'Today' in the history window,close FF and reboot the machine. Once
    rebooted, load the shortcuts back in into FF and delete the folder from
    the desktop.

    Dont you agree that (living in the 21st Century with such a good
    alternative browser to IE), this is a PITA way to go about things?

    Just recently using IE6 (for not to 'interfere' with "Today's " history
    in FF), I remember why/when I had my final straw with IE.... That
    dreaded ActiveX nag screen and the umpteenth time warning me that this
    page is unsecure!! (visiting Yahoo!Mail).
    No way I'm giving up on Firefox......
    , Feb 1, 2005
  4. KeithS Guest

    wrote:
    > Thanks for the reply.
    >
    > I understand the work around, but the problem is that my favorites are
    > already jam-packed! lol.

    Sounds like you need to organise your Bookmarks to me :)
    Forgive me if I'm teaching you to suck eggs here, in which case just
    ignore me.
    I'm using Mozilla, but presume FF is similar.

    Go into Bookmarks/ManageBookmarks dropdown. Create, and label suitably,
    some folders. Sort your bookmarks into 'similar type' bookmarks by drag
    & dropping these into your suitably labelled folders.

    Finally create your 'disposable' Bookmark folders (eg VW sites,
    Motorcycle sites {Hey, I ride a Royal Enfield Bullet!}).
    When you surf around use the Bookmark/FileBookmark dropdown to drop your
    'temporary' bookmarks into the appropriate 'disposable' Folders.
    At the end of the day you can then go back and delete those not wanted,
    and/or move those wanted into the appropriate permanent Folders.
    Like I say, ignore me if you already know all this

    KeithS
    KeithS, Feb 1, 2005
  5. Moz Champion Guest

    wrote:

    > Thanks for the reply.
    >
    > I understand the work around, but the problem is that my favorites are
    > already jam-packed! lol.
    >
    > The thing is, I dont want them 'permanently' (I know that I can remove
    > them afterwards), so thought that removing the other entries
    > manually(multiple) would be easier. This is much more usefull if I need
    > to reboot the machine for what ever reason.
    >
    > The only way that I have managed to do it now, is create a folder on my
    > desktop with the day's date, copy the shortcuts in there, delete
    > 'Today' in the history window,close FF and reboot the machine. Once
    > rebooted, load the shortcuts back in into FF and delete the folder from
    > the desktop.
    >
    > Dont you agree that (living in the 21st Century with such a good
    > alternative browser to IE), this is a PITA way to go about things?
    >
    > Just recently using IE6 (for not to 'interfere' with "Today's " history
    > in FF), I remember why/when I had my final straw with IE.... That
    > dreaded ActiveX nag screen and the umpteenth time warning me that this
    > page is unsecure!! (visiting Yahoo!Mail).
    > No way I'm giving up on Firefox......

    Please dont snip out previous posts.

    I read and respond to hundreds of messages per day, and simply cannot
    recall every single problem and/or suggestions/workarounds/answers given.

    I dont have a clue what you are speaking of now.
    I dont have the time to re-read each and every post in a thread every
    day just to get an idea of whats going on. Your problem is familiar to
    you (after all it is your problem), but it isnt to me. Without previous
    posts included in the message, your response is just words out of context.
    --
    Mozilla Champion
    UFAQ - http://www.UFAQ.org
    Moz Champion, Feb 2, 2005