Firefox Help for an IE Veteran?

Discussion in 'Firefox' started by Adrian - ProjectBlack.com, Jan 5, 2005.

  1. Today I have begun experimenting with Mozilla's Firefox browser. While I do
    appreciate the fact that it has built-in popup blocking, as well as active-x
    download controls (think anti-spyware people). It also has the better IE
    plugins for it, things like Flash, Quicktime, Real Player (who uses that),
    Acrobat Reader and Java. It's crashed on me only once, but that's way
    better than IE crashing many times an hour every hour of every day.

    That being said, I do have a couple of complaints.

    * Why does it seem to be very difficult to add foreign languages into
    Firefox? There doesn't seem to be any foreign language support on their
    update page (languages like Japanese, Chinese).

    * How can I disable "Auto-Complete", meaning when I'm typing a URL into the
    address bar, you see other URLs appear below it. It's just... annoying for
    me.

    * Look on http://www.projectblack.com on both IE and Firefox, you'll notice
    that the image for the menu tops (along the sides) don't load in Firefox,
    but pretty much everything else does. Plus, the animated GIF of Bender
    there is like, flying way too fast, while other animated GIFs on the page
    are moving at the speed they should be.

    If I can get these issues taken care of, I don't see why I wouldn't dump IE
    altogether and use Firefox exclusively. Thanks!

    Adrian - ProjectBlack.com, Jan 5, 2005

  2. Adrian - ProjectBlack.com

    Charles Guest

    "Adrian - ProjectBlack.com" <> wrote in message
    > Today I have begun experimenting with Mozilla's Firefox browser. While I
    > do
    > appreciate the fact that it has built-in popup blocking, as well as
    > active-x
    > download controls (think anti-spyware people). It also has the better IE
    > plugins for it, things like Flash, Quicktime, Real Player (who uses that),
    > Acrobat Reader and Java. It's crashed on me only once, but that's way
    > better than IE crashing many times an hour every hour of every day.
    >
    > That being said, I do have a couple of complaints.
    >
    > * Why does it seem to be very difficult to add foreign languages into
    > Firefox? There doesn't seem to be any foreign language support on their
    > update page (languages like Japanese, Chinese).
    >
    > * How can I disable "Auto-Complete", meaning when I'm typing a URL into
    > the
    > address bar, you see other URLs appear below it. It's just... annoying
    > for
    > me.
    >
    > * Look on http://www.projectblack.com on both IE and Firefox, you'll
    > notice
    > that the image for the menu tops (along the sides) don't load in Firefox,
    > but pretty much everything else does. Plus, the animated GIF of Bender
    > there is like, flying way too fast, while other animated GIFs on the page
    > are moving at the speed they should be.
    >
    > If I can get these issues taken care of, I don't see why I wouldn't dump
    > IE
    > altogether and use Firefox exclusively. Thanks!

    OK, as for your website, the usual problem (and it comes up in other places
    too)
    is the fact that when IE had 95%+ of the browser market, some developers got
    lazy
    and ignored web standards (W3C) in designing web pages and developed them
    where they would work only with IE. (Frontpage anyone?).

    Now Firefox comes along, sticks to the standards supposedly accepted by all,
    and
    now some (IE developed) sites don't show as their designers had in mind.

    That's OK, isn't it? After all IE users number
    95%.......94.......93........92.........Well
    at last count using the best data available IE is used by less than 90% of
    the market
    and falling quickly. (Many believe it will be down around 80% by the end of
    this year).
    Now this presents a problem for the sites, as their potential base is
    falling, (a killer for
    some small businesses). A lot of developers are getting work "retro-fitting"
    sites for the
    rest of us!

    Charles, Jan 5, 2005

  3. Adrian - ProjectBlack.com

    Tony Raven Guest

    Adrian - ProjectBlack.com wrote:

    > * Why does it seem to be very difficult to add foreign languages into
    > Firefox? There doesn't seem to be any foreign language support on their
    > update page (languages like Japanese, Chinese).

    Tools/Options/General/Language and add the languages/character sets you
    want. If you want Japanese, Chinese etc character sets you need to add
    those to Windows

    > * How can I disable "Auto-Complete", meaning when I'm typing a URL into the
    > address bar, you see other URLs appear below it. It's just... annoying for
    > me.

    Apparently the following works although I've not tested it:

    Create a UserChrome.ccs file in your Profiles folder
    (http://www.mozilla.org/support/firefox/edit) and enter the following in
    it with Notepad:

    /* Hide type ahead find drop down in address bar */
    #PopupAutoComplete, .autocomplete-tree { visibility: hidden !important;
    display: none !important; }

    /* Remove the drop arrow in the Address bar */
    ..autocomplete-history-dropmarker {
    display: none !important; }

    Save (as .css not .txt file), close and restart FF.

    > * Look on http://www.projectblack.com on both IE and Firefox, you'll notice
    > that the image for the menu tops (along the sides) don't load in Firefox,
    > but pretty much everything else does. Plus, the animated GIF of Bender
    > there is like, flying way too fast, while other animated GIFs on the page
    > are moving at the speed they should be.

    Yes there are some sites out there which are so badly out of compliance
    with standards they will not render properly in a standards compliant
    browser. The best bet is to get the IEView extension for the occassions
    you hit one of these and need to view it.

    Good luck

    Tony

    Tony Raven, Jan 5, 2005
  4. On 2005-01-05, Charles <> wrote:

    > "Adrian - ProjectBlack.com" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> * Look on http://www.projectblack.com on both IE and Firefox, you'll
    >> notice
    >> that the image for the menu tops (along the sides) don't load in Firefox,
    >> but pretty much everything else does. Plus, the animated GIF of Bender
    >> there is like, flying way too fast, while other animated GIFs on the page
    >> are moving at the speed they should be.

    > OK, as for your website, the usual problem (and it comes up in other places
    > too)
    > is the fact that when IE had 95%+ of the browser market, some developers got
    > lazy
    > and ignored web standards (W3C) in designing web pages and developed them
    > where they would work only with IE. (Frontpage anyone?).
    >
    > Now Firefox comes along, sticks to the standards supposedly accepted by all,
    > and
    > now some (IE developed) sites don't show as their designers had in mind.
    >
    > That's OK, isn't it? After all IE users number
    > 95%.......94.......93........92.........Well
    > at last count using the best data available IE is used by less than 90% of
    > the market
    > and falling quickly. (Many believe it will be down around 80% by the end of
    > this year).
    > Now this presents a problem for the sites, as their potential base is
    > falling, (a killer for
    > some small businesses). A lot of developers are getting work "retro-fitting"
    > sites for the
    > rest of us!

    And to think if these developers had just stuck to the published standards
    right from the stadrt, instead of letting Microsoft lead them around by
    the nose, they wouldn't have to be re-writing their pages to accommodate
    W3C standards.

    W3C compliant pages will render properly in any browser, Mozilla, IE,
    whatever.

    --
    -John ()

    John Thompson, Jan 6, 2005
  5. Sweet! Looks like 2 out of 3 problems were resolved...

    As far as bringing my site up to this compliance, anyone know a guy?

    Adrian - ProjectBlack.com, Jan 6, 2005
  6. Adrian - ProjectBlack.com

    Tony Raven Guest

    Adrian - ProjectBlack.com wrote:
    > Sweet! Looks like 2 out of 3 problems were resolved...
    >
    > As far as bringing my site up to this compliance, anyone know a guy?

    Run it through the W3C validator and it will tell you which bits of the
    code are non-compliant. http://validator.w3.org/ With the output it
    should be easy enough for any half competent web author to bring it into
    compliance.

    Tony

    Tony Raven, Jan 6, 2005