Firefox hassles

Discussion in 'Firefox' started by WolfGang, Sep 11, 2004.

  1. WolfGang

    WolfGang Guest

    I easily DLed and used Firefox, plugins, extensions, etc. for awhile and
    everything worked fine. At some point it stopped working and all I could get
    was the Firefox window but everything I tried to open (including mozilla
    itself) brought up an Alert: (URL) could not be found...

    So I uninstalled Firefox and deleted the old zip, redownloaded the zip and
    reinstalled Firefox (several times) but I can't get it to do anything
    different. It just won't go past the initial opening of the Firefox window,
    and nothing happens but Alert windows when I try to open a URL. Very
    frustrating because when it was working it was great.

    I have been trying to get help with this for several weeks and it doesn't
    seem to ring a bell with anyone so far. I am about to give up. Any help?
    Thank you,
    Wolfgang

    WolfGang, Sep 11, 2004

  2. WolfGang

    Reg Mouatt Guest

    On Sat, 11 Sep 2004 14:28:09 GMT, "WolfGang" <>
    wrote:

    >I easily DLed and used Firefox, plugins, extensions, etc. for awhile and
    >everything worked fine. At some point it stopped working and all I could get
    >was the Firefox window but everything I tried to open (including mozilla
    >itself) brought up an Alert: (URL) could not be found...
    >
    >So I uninstalled Firefox and deleted the old zip, redownloaded the zip and
    >reinstalled Firefox (several times) but I can't get it to do anything
    >different. It just won't go past the initial opening of the Firefox window,
    >and nothing happens but Alert windows when I try to open a URL. Very
    >frustrating because when it was working it was great.
    >
    >I have been trying to get help with this for several weeks and it doesn't
    >seem to ring a bell with anyone so far. I am about to give up. Any help?
    >Thank you,
    >Wolfgang
    >I easily DLed and used Firefox, plugins, extensions, etc. for awhile and
    >everything worked fine. At some point it stopped working and all I could get
    >was the Firefox window but everything I tried to open (including mozilla
    >itself) brought up an Alert: (URL) could not be found...
    >
    >So I uninstalled Firefox and deleted the old zip, redownloaded the zip and
    >reinstalled Firefox (several times) but I can't get it to do anything
    >different. It just won't go past the initial opening of the Firefox window,
    >and nothing happens but Alert windows when I try to open a URL. Very
    >frustrating because when it was working it was great.
    >
    >I have been trying to get help with this for several weeks and it doesn't
    >seem to ring a bell with anyone so far. I am about to give up. Any help?
    >Thank you,
    >Wolfgang

    Hi Wolfgang,
    What I would be tempted to do is download jvPowerTools from
    www.macecraft.com, you get a thirty day free trial and using the third
    icon from the left of 'Registry Tools' search for all instances of
    Firefox (If you have nothing other than Firefox try searching for
    Mozilla also) and choose Remove. A backup is made should it be
    necessary to reinstall. Then try a new install of Firefox.
    Good luck,
    Reg

    Reg Mouatt, Sep 12, 2004

  3. WolfGang

    Mueen Nawaz Guest

    WolfGang wrote:
    > So I uninstalled Firefox and deleted the old zip, redownloaded the zip and
    > reinstalled Firefox (several times) but I can't get it to do anything
    > different. It just won't go past the initial opening of the Firefox window,
    > and nothing happens but Alert windows when I try to open a URL. Very
    > frustrating because when it was working it was great.

    Did you remove your Profile folder? Or try starting FF in safe mode?

    --
    When an agnostic dies, does he go to the "great perhaps"?

    /\ /\ /\ /
    / \/ \ u e e n / \/ a w a z

    anl

    Mueen Nawaz, Sep 16, 2004
  4. WolfGang

    WolfGang Guest

    Thanks,
    I tried Safe Mode and got the same results. I am not familiar with the
    Profile Folder nor where to find it-- can you explain? (In the meantime I
    will try to locate this.)

    By the way, I did clean my registry after uninstalling/deleting Firefox
    before but upon reinstalling it I still had the same problem.
    Wolfgang

    WolfGang, Sep 17, 2004