    bookmarks (easy) and passwords (?) but I could survive not being able to carry
    over passwords.

    Does that sound like a plan? Any suggestions? Thanks

    Gualtier Malde, Dec 6, 2008

  2. Gualtier Malde wrote:
    > I am using Firefox v 3.0.4 in Windows 2000 SP 4. Firefox is generating
    > errors on some web sites, and the situation is repeatable - the errors
    > occur after re-boot, re-install, etc. The two sites recently were
    > PayPal (attempting to donate to Wikipedia) and most AVG pages.
    >
    > Is anyone else having this problem, or a similar one? I am inclined to
    > do a removal, erase, expunge of Firefox and re-install. I would like to
    > keep bookmarks (easy) and passwords (?) but I could survive not being
    > able to carry over passwords.
    >
    > Does that sound like a plan? Any suggestions? Thanks

    Plan: no.

    Suggestions: close FF, then click on the windows start
    button, then run and enter:

    firefox.exe -safe-mode

    this will start FF in safe mode. That means all the
    extensions are disabled. Test FF in safe mode, and see
    what happens. Any errors?

    help!!!!

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo, Dec 7, 2008

  3. Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    > Gualtier Malde wrote:
    >> I am using Firefox v 3.0.4 in Windows 2000 SP 4. Firefox is
    >> generating errors on some web sites, and the situation is repeatable -
    >> the errors occur after re-boot, re-install, etc. The two sites
    >> recently were PayPal (attempting to donate to Wikipedia) and most AVG
    >> pages.
    >>
    >> Is anyone else having this problem, or a similar one? I am inclined
    >> to do a removal, erase, expunge of Firefox and re-install. I would
    >> like to keep bookmarks (easy) and passwords (?) but I could survive
    >> not being able to carry over passwords.
    >>
    >> Does that sound like a plan? Any suggestions? Thanks

    > Plan: no.
    >
    > Suggestions: close FF, then click on the windows start button, then run
    > and enter:
    >
    > firefox.exe -safe-mode
    >
    > this will start FF in safe mode. That means all the extensions are
    > disabled. Test FF in safe mode, and see what happens. Any errors?

    That seemed to work for both the Wikipedia-PayPal set and AVG. Does this point
    to any remedial action I can take, or is it that I should use the safe mode when
    I encounter the problem. The reason for the question is that AVG has some
    tutorial videos that won't play in that environment.

    Thank you.

    Gualtier Malde, Dec 7, 2008
  4. Gualtier Malde wrote:
    > Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    >> Gualtier Malde wrote:
    >>> I am using Firefox v 3.0.4 in Windows 2000 SP 4. Firefox is
    >>> generating errors on some web sites, and the situation is repeatable
    >>> - the errors occur after re-boot, re-install, etc. The two sites
    >>> recently were PayPal (attempting to donate to Wikipedia) and most AVG
    >>> pages.
    >>>
    >>> Is anyone else having this problem, or a similar one? I am inclined
    >>> to do a removal, erase, expunge of Firefox and re-install. I would
    >>> like to keep bookmarks (easy) and passwords (?) but I could survive
    >>> not being able to carry over passwords.
    >>>
    >>> Does that sound like a plan? Any suggestions? Thanks

    >> Plan: no.
    >>
    >> Suggestions: close FF, then click on the windows start button, then
    >> run and enter:
    >>
    >> firefox.exe -safe-mode
    >>
    >> this will start FF in safe mode. That means all the extensions are
    >> disabled. Test FF in safe mode, and see what happens. Any errors?
    >>

    > That seemed to work for both the Wikipedia-PayPal set and AVG. Does
    > this point to any remedial action I can take, or is it that I should use
    > the safe mode when I encounter the problem. The reason for the question
    > is that AVG has some tutorial videos that won't play in that environment.
    >
    > Thank you.

    safe mode disables your extensions/add-ons. Thats what
    ever you have under Tools, Addon-on, Extension. Since
    the problem stopped in safe mode, then you have to find
    which extension is causing the problems. Restart FF in
    normal mode, and manually disable half the extension.
    Try the site. If the problem stopped, then you know
    its the other half of the extensions. If the problem
    continues, in enable half of them, and try it again.
    Keep trying until you find which ones is causing the
    problem.

    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo, Dec 9, 2008
  5. Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    > Gualtier Malde wrote:
    >> Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:

    >>> Plan: no.
    >>>
    >>> Suggestions: close FF, then click on the windows start button, then
    >>> run and enter:
    >>>
    >>> firefox.exe -safe-mode
    >>>
    >>> this will start FF in safe mode. That means all the extensions are
    >>> disabled. Test FF in safe mode, and see what happens. Any errors?
    >>>

    >> That seemed to work for both the Wikipedia-PayPal set and AVG. Does
    >> this point to any remedial action I can take, or is it that I should
    >> use the safe mode when I encounter the problem. The reason for the
    >> question is that AVG has some tutorial videos that won't play in that
    >> environment.
    >>
    >> Thank you.
    >>

    > safe mode disables your extensions/add-ons. Thats what ever you have
    > under Tools, Addon-on, Extension. Since the problem stopped in safe
    > mode, then you have to find which extension is causing the problems.
    > Restart FF in normal mode, and manually disable half the extension. Try
    > the site. If the problem stopped, then you know its the other half of
    > the extensions. If the problem continues, in enable half of them, and
    > try it again. Keep trying until you find which ones is causing the problem.

    Thank you again. I have followed your directions and so far no shutdowns. I
    had been getting worried that I would have to use another browser client.

    Gualtier Malde, Dec 9, 2008