Firefox gamed - Drudge getting around Firefox popup blocker

Discussion in 'Firefox' started by Venger, Dec 17, 2004.

  1. Venger

    Venger Guest

    Greetings...

    I noticed that somehow, some sites are getting around the Firefox popup
    blocker. It's happened twice now, this time on a link from
    drudgereportarchives.com to editorandpublisher.com - a 4inkjets.com popup
    window comes up in a separate window.

    I know, ghastly! Having browsed for months now without being brute force
    gangbanged by ads and popup nonsense, it's quite a shock to have to babysit
    my web browser lest it crapalanche the taskbar.

    Anyone see anything similar, or know if this is a known sneak around the
    Firefox popup blocker that will be addressed with a release?

    Thanks...

    Venger

    Venger, Dec 17, 2004

  2. Venger

    :: BRIAN :: Guest

    On 12/17/2004 11:37 AM Venger wrote:
    > Greetings...
    >
    > I noticed that somehow, some sites are getting around the Firefox popup
    > blocker. It's happened twice now, this time on a link from
    > drudgereportarchives.com to editorandpublisher.com - a 4inkjets.com popup
    > window comes up in a separate window.
    >
    > I know, ghastly! Having browsed for months now without being brute force
    > gangbanged by ads and popup nonsense, it's quite a shock to have to babysit
    > my web browser lest it crapalanche the taskbar.
    >
    > Anyone see anything similar, or know if this is a known sneak around the
    > Firefox popup blocker that will be addressed with a release?
    >
    > Thanks...
    >
    > Venger

    Wow, this is new. Oh wait, no it's not. BTW, AdBlock can block it.
    --
    Brian

    Email Info -
    http://68.1.17.8/p0nykiller/email.htm

    :: BRIAN ::, Dec 17, 2004

  3. Venger

    Z Guest

    Venger wrote:
    > Anyone see anything similar, or know if this is a known sneak around the
    > Firefox popup blocker that will be addressed with a release?

    I saw that with Mozilla 1.7.3 but not yet with FF 1.0

    Z, Dec 17, 2004
  4. Venger

    Z Guest

    :: BRIAN :: wrote:
    > Wow, this is new. Oh wait, no it's not. BTW, AdBlock can block it.

    A-ha ... maybe that's why ... I installed Ad Block.

    Z, Dec 17, 2004
  5. Venger

    Venger Guest

    ":: BRIAN ::" <user@127.0.1.1> wrote in message
    > On 12/17/2004 11:37 AM Venger wrote:
    > > Greetings...
    > >
    > > I noticed that somehow, some sites are getting around the Firefox popup
    > > blocker. It's happened twice now, this time on a link from
    > > drudgereportarchives.com to editorandpublisher.com - a 4inkjets.com

    popup
    > > window comes up in a separate window.
    > >
    > > I know, ghastly! Having browsed for months now without being brute force
    > > gangbanged by ads and popup nonsense, it's quite a shock to have to

    babysit
    > > my web browser lest it crapalanche the taskbar.
    > >
    > > Anyone see anything similar, or know if this is a known sneak around the
    > > Firefox popup blocker that will be addressed with a release?
    > >
    > > Thanks...
    > >
    > > Venger
    > >

    > Wow, this is new. Oh wait, no it's not. BTW, AdBlock can block it.

    Any idea what mechanism is being used to circumvent the normal popup
    prevention? Are you stating AdBlock can block it merely by entering the
    domain in question, or is there another function which will prevent such
    pop-ups regardless of the target domain?

    Venger

    Venger, Dec 17, 2004
  6. (On 12/17/2004 4:17 PM) Venger wrote:
    > ":: BRIAN ::" <user@127.0.1.1> wrote in message
    >
    >>On 12/17/2004 11:37 AM Venger wrote:
    >>
    >>>Greetings...
    >>>
    >>>I noticed that somehow, some sites are getting around the Firefox popup
    >>>blocker. It's happened twice now, this time on a link from
    >>>drudgereportarchives.com to editorandpublisher.com - a 4inkjets.com

    > popup
    >
    >>>window comes up in a separate window.
    >>>
    >>>I know, ghastly! Having browsed for months now without being brute force
    >>>gangbanged by ads and popup nonsense, it's quite a shock to have to

    > babysit
    >
    >>>my web browser lest it crapalanche the taskbar.
    >>>
    >>>Anyone see anything similar, or know if this is a known sneak around the
    >>>Firefox popup blocker that will be addressed with a release?
    >>>
    >>>Thanks...
    >>>
    >>>Venger
    >>>

    >>Wow, this is new. Oh wait, no it's not. BTW, AdBlock can block it.

    > Any idea what mechanism is being used to circumvent the normal popup
    > prevention? Are you stating AdBlock can block it merely by entering the
    > domain in question, or is there another function which will prevent such
    > pop-ups regardless of the target domain?
    >
    > Venger

    I can't get it to popup on my computer with Firefox 1.0, so I can't find
    what you need to block. Whenever the popup appears, open AdBlock and
    check the list of items to block; it's a script doing that popup.
    Apparently Firefox 1.0 blocks that popup.

    ::..BRIAN..::, Dec 18, 2004
  7. Venger

    Charles Guest

    >> popup

    >> babysit

    >>>Wow, this is new. Oh wait, no it's not. BTW, AdBlock can block it.

    >> Any idea what mechanism is being used to circumvent the normal popup
    >> prevention? Are you stating AdBlock can block it merely by entering the
    >> domain in question, or is there another function which will prevent such
    >> pop-ups regardless of the target domain?
    >>
    >> Venger

    > I can't get it to popup on my computer with Firefox 1.0, so I can't find
    > what you need to block. Whenever the popup appears, open AdBlock and
    > check the list of items to block; it's a script doing that popup.
    > Apparently Firefox 1.0 blocks that popup.
    > --
    > Brian

    I use Firefox 1.0 also, and I've been all over that page and cannot get
    anything to pop up.
    As Brian rightly says, Firefox is blocking the scripts used.

    Maybe you should check for any internal Adware/Software that maybe
    generating the "pop-ups".

    Charles, Dec 18, 2004
  8. Venger

    Guest

    On Sat, 18 Dec 2004 15:09:54 GMT, "Charles"
    <> wrote:

    snipped
    >> I can't get it to popup on my computer with Firefox 1.0, so I can't find
    >> what you need to block. Whenever the popup appears, open AdBlock and
    >> check the list of items to block; it's a script doing that popup.
    >> Apparently Firefox 1.0 blocks that popup.
    >> --
    >> Brian
    >>

    >I use Firefox 1.0 also, and I've been all over that page and cannot get
    >anything to pop up.
    >As Brian rightly says, Firefox is blocking the scripts used.

    I've never had a po pup on Drudge. I'm also using 1.0.

    , Dec 18, 2004
  9. Venger

    Matt O'Toole Guest

    Venger wrote:

    > I noticed that somehow, some sites are getting around the Firefox
    > popup blocker. It's happened twice now, this time on a link from
    > drudgereportarchives.com to editorandpublisher.com - a 4inkjets.com
    > popup window comes up in a separate window.
    >
    > I know, ghastly! Having browsed for months now without being brute
    > force gangbanged by ads and popup nonsense, it's quite a shock to
    > have to babysit my web browser lest it crapalanche the taskbar.
    >
    > Anyone see anything similar, or know if this is a known sneak around
    > the Firefox popup blocker that will be addressed with a release?

    I didn't get any popups w/ the links you refer to, but I've been getting a lot
    of them lately elsewhere. I have no idea how they're being generated. I have
    the normal Javascript popup blocker turned on, and it has worked like a charm
    until very recently.

    Matt O.

    Matt O'Toole, Dec 20, 2004
  10. Venger

    Travis Evans Guest

    On 12/17/2004 03:17 PM, Venger wrote:
    > Any idea what mechanism is being used to circumvent the normal popup
    > prevention? Are you stating AdBlock can block it merely by entering the
    > domain in question, or is there another function which will prevent such
    > pop-ups regardless of the target domain?

    I heard it was by clicking on a link that both goes to the requested
    page *and* opens a pop-up, or something like that, if I remember
    correctly. I didn't follow the story closely, though, so I may be wrong.

    --
    Travis

    [My email address listed is valid, but may change from time to time to
    reduce spam. When emailing me, please check one of my recent Usenet
    messages to make sure you are using the current address; otherwise, I
    may not receive your message.]

    Travis Evans, Dec 20, 2004
  11. Venger

    Matt O'Toole Guest

    I wrote:

    > Venger wrote:

    >> I noticed that somehow, some sites are getting around the Firefox
    >> popup blocker. It's happened twice now, this time on a link from
    >> drudgereportarchives.com to editorandpublisher.com - a 4inkjets.com
    >> popup window comes up in a separate window.

    >> I know, ghastly! Having browsed for months now without being brute
    >> force gangbanged by ads and popup nonsense, it's quite a shock to
    >> have to babysit my web browser lest it crapalanche the taskbar.

    >> Anyone see anything similar, or know if this is a known sneak around
    >> the Firefox popup blocker that will be addressed with a release?

    > I didn't get any popups w/ the links you refer to, but I've been
    > getting a lot of them lately elsewhere. I have no idea how they're
    > being generated. I have the normal Javascript popup blocker turned
    > on, and it has worked like a charm until very recently.

    Well, I found my problem. It wasn't Firefox. It was a new spyware/adware bug
    called SearchAssistant, which apparently has been spreading like wildfire the
    last few days. The actual files go by several different names, and not all the
    security sites are up to date with the latest info. But the popular
    spyware/adware eliminators, Spybot S&D, Spyware Blaster, and AdAware will take
    care of it. After updating and running these, I got rid of it last night.

    Since then I've been to some sites where I had been experiencing the popups, and
    I'm not getting them anymore.

    So if you're having mysterious popup problems, check this one out.

    Matt O.

    Matt O'Toole, Dec 22, 2004