    Acrobat 6.0 works fine when opened outside of Firefox.

    Anyone else run into this problem? Solution?

    Jim Beaver

    Jim Beaver, Aug 8, 2007

  2. Jim Beaver

    JANA Guest

    Uninstall Acrobat 6.xx, and install Version 7, or preferably 8. I have a
    feeling this will fix your problem.

    --

    JANA
    _____

    "Jim Beaver" <> wrote in message
    Whenever I go to a webpage that is a .pdf file, Firefox opens my Adobe
    Acrobat 6.0 Professional program. Then the entire Firefox browser (all open
    tabs included) freezes up and the only way to get out of it is by closing it
    through Windows Task Manager.

    JANA, Aug 8, 2007

  3. Jim Beaver

    Loud Heart Guest

    Jim Beaver wrote:
    > Whenever I go to a webpage that is a .pdf file, Firefox opens my Adobe
    > Acrobat 6.0 Professional program. Then the entire Firefox browser (all open
    > tabs included) freezes up and the only way to get out of it is by closing it
    > through Windows Task Manager.
    >
    > Acrobat 6.0 works fine when opened outside of Firefox.
    >
    > Anyone else run into this problem? Solution?
    >
    > Jim Beaver

    Just leave your freezed FireFox browser open for 2-3 minutes while
    Acrobat loads up. Don't know what is causing it though. Sometime
    Acrobat loads up quick and other time it takes forever.
    --
    # WWW.LOUDHEART.COM
    # * free classified advertisement postings

    Loud Heart, Aug 8, 2007
  4. Jim Beaver

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Wed, 08 Aug 2007 03:29:43 GMT, "Jim Beaver"
    <> wrote:

    >Whenever I go to a webpage that is a .pdf file, Firefox opens my Adobe
    >Acrobat 6.0 Professional program. Then the entire Firefox browser (all open
    >tabs included) freezes up and the only way to get out of it is by closing it
    >through Windows Task Manager.
    >
    >Acrobat 6.0 works fine when opened outside of Firefox.
    >
    >Anyone else run into this problem? Solution?

    What size PDF file are you opening? What speed connection?

    I've had this happen with firefox, it can take a good minute to load
    the PDF. How long do you let it go for?

    Evan Platt, Aug 8, 2007
  5. Jim Beaver

    sittingduck Guest

    JANA wrote:

    > Uninstall Acrobat 6.xx, and install Version 7, or preferably 8. I have a
    > feeling this will fix your problem.

    Better yet, never install adobe crap-robat in the first place. Foxit reader
    requires no install, and works extremely well. Firefox has never crashed or
    even blinked when passing pdfs to it.
    http://www.oldversion.com/program.php?n=foxit
    I've been using Foxit Reader 1.3 Build 0104 for a long time with no problems.
    Version 1 uses lots of mem if you open really large files, Version 2
    supposedly fixes this.

    sittingduck, Aug 8, 2007
  6. Jim Beaver

    Toast Guest

    "Jim Beaver" <> wrote in

    > Whenever I go to a webpage that is a .pdf file, Firefox opens my Adobe
    > Acrobat 6.0 Professional program. Then the entire Firefox browser
    > (all open tabs included) freezes up and the only way to get out of it
    > is by closing it through Windows Task Manager.
    >
    > Acrobat 6.0 works fine when opened outside of Firefox.
    >
    > Anyone else run into this problem? Solution?
    >
    > Jim Beaver

    Maybe your system is long in the tooth and short on resources. But it's
    probably just down to the AA 6 launching in a resource hungry way.

    Acrobat Reader 6 was terrible with FF. Ditto AR 5. Launching AR in the
    browser was further improved with the release of versions 7 and 8.
    Upgrade to v8 if you can, it's a significant improvement in many
    respects.

    If your PDF creating needs are simple then you can ditch Adobe Acrobat
    altogether and use one of the many free PDF creators now available in
    concert with AR 8. I like one called PrimoPDF.

    Also, it's possible to view the PDF files outside the browser. Install
    the PDF Download extension. You won't regret it.

    David

    Toast, Aug 8, 2007
  7. Jim Beaver

    Jordon Guest

    sittingduck wrote:
    > JANA wrote:
    >
    >> Uninstall Acrobat 6.xx, and install Version 7, or preferably 8. I have a
    >> feeling this will fix your problem.

    > Better yet, never install adobe crap-robat in the first place. Foxit reader
    > requires no install, and works extremely well. Firefox has never crashed or
    > even blinked when passing pdfs to it.
    > http://www.oldversion.com/program.php?n=foxit
    > I've been using Foxit Reader 1.3 Build 0104 for a long time with no problems.
    > Version 1 uses lots of mem if you open really large files, Version 2
    > supposedly fixes this.

    Here's another vote for Foxit. Dump the Acrobat reader.

    --
    Jordon

    Jordon, Aug 8, 2007
  8. Jim Beaver

    Jim Beaver Guest

    "Evan Platt" <> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 08 Aug 2007 03:29:43 GMT, "Jim Beaver"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>Whenever I go to a webpage that is a .pdf file, Firefox opens my Adobe
    >>Acrobat 6.0 Professional program. Then the entire Firefox browser (all
    >>open
    >>tabs included) freezes up and the only way to get out of it is by closing
    >>it
    >>through Windows Task Manager.
    >>
    >>Acrobat 6.0 works fine when opened outside of Firefox.
    >>
    >>Anyone else run into this problem? Solution?

    > What size PDF file are you opening? What speed connection?

    Any size, as far as I can tell. I've got a decent DSL.

    > I've had this happen with firefox, it can take a good minute to load
    > the PDF. How long do you let it go for?

    I'll try that. It's just that it doesn't look like it's loading, not the
    same way it looks when a PDF is loading in a non-Firefox situation.
    Everything in Firefox is frozen. But I'll try just letting it sit for a
    while.

    Jim Beaver

    Jim Beaver, Aug 9, 2007
  9. Jordon <> wrote in

    snip

    > Here's another vote for Foxit. Dump the Acrobat reader.

    Agreed.

    --
    The Old Sourdough
    BEER!!11!!, the whole grain diet...

    The Old Sourdough, Aug 9, 2007
  10. FF: tools / options / content / file types / manage / [select] / change
    action - do not use plug-in, select adobe or foxit to open separately

    Tommy

    --
    Tommy
    REMOVETHIStmcc72REMOVETHISAThalDASHpcDOTorg change everything capitalized to

    Tommy McClure, Aug 9, 2007