    Has anyone else seen this behavior or know the cure? Any
    help would be appreciated

    Lugnut
    lugnut, Jan 18, 2006

  2. lugnut

    Ed Mullen Guest

    lugnut wrote:
    > I do not know the correct terminology but, when I execute a
    > link at a site to open an info frame , especially when
    > clicking somethng like a "more info" button, FF opens a new
    > smaller frame to display the info. It is obvious that the
    > info panel is only partially displayed but FF wil not allow
    > me to enlarge or maximize this window to see the contents.
    > It also does not display scroll bars to move around in the
    > display. I did not have this problem with the old v1.07 FF.
    > Has anyone else seen this behavior or know the cure? Any
    > help would be appreciated
    >
    > Lugnut

    Specific URLs would be real helpful. But, Web pages can be coded so
    that new windows (or pop-ups) cannot be resized. It could be that's
    what you're seeing.

    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net
    Ed Mullen, Jan 19, 2006

  3. Ed Mullen wrote:
    > lugnut wrote:
    >> I do not know the correct terminology but, when I execute a
    >> link at a site to open an info frame , especially when
    >> clicking somethng like a "more info" button, FF opens a new
    >> smaller frame to display the info. It is obvious that the
    >> info panel is only partially displayed but FF wil not allow
    >> me to enlarge or maximize this window to see the contents.
    >> It also does not display scroll bars to move around in the
    >> display. I did not have this problem with the old v1.07 FF.
    >> Has anyone else seen this behavior or know the cure? Any
    >> help would be appreciated
    >>
    >> Lugnut

    > Specific URLs would be real helpful. But, Web pages can be coded so
    > that new windows (or pop-ups) cannot be resized. It could be that's
    > what you're seeing.

    Firefox can also be configured to defeat that, but I agree, it would be
    well to have a specific age to look at before offering suggestions.

    Lee
    Leonidas Jones, Jan 19, 2006
  4. lugnut

    lugnut Guest

    On Wed, 18 Jan 2006 19:00:17 -0500, Ed Mullen
    <> wrote:

    >lugnut wrote:
    >> I do not know the correct terminology but, when I execute a
    >> link at a site to open an info frame , especially when
    >> clicking somethng like a "more info" button, FF opens a new
    >> smaller frame to display the info. It is obvious that the
    >> info panel is only partially displayed but FF wil not allow
    >> me to enlarge or maximize this window to see the contents.
    >> It also does not display scroll bars to move around in the
    >> display. I did not have this problem with the old v1.07 FF.
    >> Has anyone else seen this behavior or know the cure? Any
    >> help would be appreciated
    >>
    >> Lugnut

    >Specific URLs would be real helpful. But, Web pages can be coded so
    >that new windows (or pop-ups) cannot be resized. It could be that's
    >what you're seeing.

    I have been shopping for a new cell phone service which
    looks like it will have to be this one. In any case, this
    is an example URL. When I click on one of the links for
    more info on one of the features, it opens a frame that is
    too small to see the entire page to be displayed and has no
    scroll bars to navigate so that the contents can be fully
    viewed. This same URL in IE displays with scroll bars or
    can be enlarged to view the entire page. Again, any help
    would be appreciated.

    The original URL was several lines long. I hope this
    tinyurl will work. It did for me.

    Lugnut

    http://tinyurl.com/bpk5e
    lugnut, Jan 19, 2006
  5. lugnut

    Ed Mullen Guest

    lugnut wrote:
    > On Wed, 18 Jan 2006 19:00:17 -0500, Ed Mullen
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> lugnut wrote:
    >>> I do not know the correct terminology but, when I execute a
    >>> link at a site to open an info frame , especially when
    >>> clicking somethng like a "more info" button, FF opens a new
    >>> smaller frame to display the info. It is obvious that the
    >>> info panel is only partially displayed but FF wil not allow
    >>> me to enlarge or maximize this window to see the contents.
    >>> It also does not display scroll bars to move around in the
    >>> display. I did not have this problem with the old v1.07 FF.
    >>> Has anyone else seen this behavior or know the cure? Any
    >>> help would be appreciated
    >>>
    >>> Lugnut

    >> Specific URLs would be real helpful. But, Web pages can be coded so
    >> that new windows (or pop-ups) cannot be resized. It could be that's
    >> what you're seeing.

    > I have been shopping for a new cell phone service which
    > looks like it will have to be this one. In any case, this
    > is an example URL. When I click on one of the links for
    > more info on one of the features, it opens a frame that is
    > too small to see the entire page to be displayed and has no
    > scroll bars to navigate so that the contents can be fully
    > viewed. This same URL in IE displays with scroll bars or
    > can be enlarged to view the entire page. Again, any help
    > would be appreciated.
    >
    > The original URL was several lines long. I hope this
    > tinyurl will work. It did for me.
    >
    > Lugnut
    >
    > http://tinyurl.com/bpk5e

    I went to that URL in SeaMonkey 1.0 Beta and Firefox 1.5, both with
    Tabbrowser Extensions installed which forces pop-up windows to open in a
    new tab. No problem clicking on the "250 Direct Connect Minutes" link.
    It opened in a new tab (instead of a new browser window) as desired. All
    content was viewable without problem. No vertical scroll bar, but none
    is needed as all the content fit neatly into the pop-up window.

    I next launched Firefox in a plain vanilla profile w/o Tabbrowser
    Extensions. As suspected, the link opened a pop-up window which had no
    sizing or scroll bars available. However, all content was visible w/o
    problem.

    I then launched IE 6, went to the URL, clicked the same link and a
    pop-up window opened with a vertical scroll bar, all content visible.
    However, the vertical scroll bar was not functional since all the
    content fit in the pop-up window. That's how it's supposed to work.

    The link/pop-up window is opened via javascript. I haven't examined the
    script closely but it obviously is calling a new window without scroll
    bars and with some user controls turned off.

    My system:

    Windows XP Pro SP2
    FF 1.5
    SeaMonkey 1.0 Beta
    IE 6 fully patched
    LCD display at 1280 x 1024

    I suspect that the lack of scroll bar in the Mozilla browsers is by
    design. That is, since they're not needed the browser simply doesn't
    display them. In IE I'm guessing that it displays the vertical scroll
    bar by default. Or, the javascript call has code in it that makes IE
    show the scroll bar. In which case, the Mozilla browsers are ignoring
    it because it's not necessary.

    But, near as I can tell everything is operating as intended. If that's
    different for you, the first thing I'd check on your end are extensions
    and/or themes.

    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net
    Ed Mullen, Jan 19, 2006
  6. lugnut

    Arne Guest

    Once upon a time *lugnut* wrote:
    > On Wed, 18 Jan 2006 19:00:17 -0500, Ed Mullen
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>lugnut wrote:
    >>> I do not know the correct terminology but, when I execute a
    >>> link at a site to open an info frame , especially when
    >>> clicking somethng like a "more info" button, FF opens a new
    >>> smaller frame to display the info. It is obvious that the
    >>> info panel is only partially displayed but FF wil not allow
    >>> me to enlarge or maximize this window to see the contents.
    >>> It also does not display scroll bars to move around in the
    >>> display. I did not have this problem with the old v1.07 FF.
    >>> Has anyone else seen this behavior or know the cure? Any
    >>> help would be appreciated
    >>>
    >>> Lugnut

    >>Specific URLs would be real helpful. But, Web pages can be coded so
    >>that new windows (or pop-ups) cannot be resized. It could be that's
    >>what you're seeing.

    > I have been shopping for a new cell phone service which
    > looks like it will have to be this one. In any case, this
    > is an example URL. When I click on one of the links for
    > more info on one of the features, it opens a frame that is
    > too small to see the entire page to be displayed and has no
    > scroll bars to navigate so that the contents can be fully
    > viewed. This same URL in IE displays with scroll bars or
    > can be enlarged to view the entire page. Again, any help
    > would be appreciated.
    >
    > The original URL was several lines long. I hope this
    > tinyurl will work. It did for me.
    >
    > Lugnut
    >
    > http://tinyurl.com/bpk5e

    I'm using the Suite, but I'll guess this is similar in Firefox.

    Try go to about:config (type it in the address bar) and type
    "dom.disable_window_open" (without the quotes) in the filter bar.

    Among a few other things, you will see the following lines, that I have
    change the value from false to true

    dom.disable_window_open_feature.location
    dom.disable_window_open_feature.menubar
    dom.disable_window_open_feature.minimizable
    dom.disable_window_open_feature.resizable
    dom.disable_window_open_feature.scrollbars

    When I click on a link that open a small (popup) window, I still have
    the scrollbar (if it's needed to see the content) and most other things
    on my window, since the settings owerride the designers script for popup
    windows.

    --
    /Arne

    * How to post: http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/usenet/brox.html
    * From Google: http://www.safalra.com/special/googlegroupsreply/
    Arne, Jan 19, 2006
  7. lugnut

    lugnut Guest

    On Thu, 19 Jan 2006 10:40:12 +0100, Arne
    <> wrote:

    >Once upon a time *lugnut* wrote:
    >> On Wed, 18 Jan 2006 19:00:17 -0500, Ed Mullen
    >> <> wrote:

    >>>Specific URLs would be real helpful. But, Web pages can be coded so
    >>>that new windows (or pop-ups) cannot be resized. It could be that's
    >>>what you're seeing.

    >> I have been shopping for a new cell phone service which
    >> looks like it will have to be this one. In any case, this
    >> is an example URL. When I click on one of the links for
    >> more info on one of the features, it opens a frame that is
    >> too small to see the entire page to be displayed and has no
    >> scroll bars to navigate so that the contents can be fully
    >> viewed. This same URL in IE displays with scroll bars or
    >> can be enlarged to view the entire page. Again, any help
    >> would be appreciated.
    >>
    >> The original URL was several lines long. I hope this
    >> tinyurl will work. It did for me.
    >>
    >> Lugnut
    >>
    >> http://tinyurl.com/bpk5e

    >I'm using the Suite, but I'll guess this is similar in Firefox.
    >
    >Try go to about:config (type it in the address bar) and type
    >"dom.disable_window_open" (without the quotes) in the filter bar.
    >
    >Among a few other things, you will see the following lines, that I have
    >change the value from false to true
    >
    >dom.disable_window_open_feature.location
    >dom.disable_window_open_feature.menubar
    >dom.disable_window_open_feature.minimizable
    >dom.disable_window_open_feature.resizable
    >dom.disable_window_open_feature.scrollbars
    >
    >When I click on a link that open a small (popup) window, I still have
    >the scrollbar (if it's needed to see the content) and most other things
    >on my window, since the settings owerride the designers script for popup
    >windows.

    Thanks for the info. I set each of these values to true -
    problem solved. I do not know which was the exact one or
    combination that produced the desired results as I have not
    had the time to experiment but, now, I won't have to use IE
    along with FF on site such as this. I greatly prefer FF
    but, do not yet have knowledge of the filtering system.

    Thanks, again
    Lugnut
    lugnut, Jan 19, 2006
  8. lugnut

    lugnut Guest

    On Thu, 19 Jan 2006 00:59:02 -0500, Ed Mullen
    <> wrote:

    >lugnut wrote:
    >> On Wed, 18 Jan 2006 19:00:17 -0500, Ed Mullen
    >> <> wrote:

    >>> Specific URLs would be real helpful. But, Web pages can be coded so
    >>> that new windows (or pop-ups) cannot be resized. It could be that's
    >>> what you're seeing.

    >> I have been shopping for a new cell phone service which
    >> looks like it will have to be this one. In any case, this
    >> is an example URL. When I click on one of the links for
    >> more info on one of the features, it opens a frame that is
    >> too small to see the entire page to be displayed and has no
    >> scroll bars to navigate so that the contents can be fully
    >> viewed. This same URL in IE displays with scroll bars or
    >> can be enlarged to view the entire page. Again, any help
    >> would be appreciated.
    >>
    >> The original URL was several lines long. I hope this
    >> tinyurl will work. It did for me.
    >>
    >> Lugnut
    >>
    >> http://tinyurl.com/bpk5e

    >I went to that URL in SeaMonkey 1.0 Beta and Firefox 1.5, both with
    >Tabbrowser Extensions installed which forces pop-up windows to open in a
    >new tab. No problem clicking on the "250 Direct Connect Minutes" link.
    >It opened in a new tab (instead of a new browser window) as desired. All
    >content was viewable without problem. No vertical scroll bar, but none
    >is needed as all the content fit neatly into the pop-up window.
    >
    >I next launched Firefox in a plain vanilla profile w/o Tabbrowser
    >Extensions. As suspected, the link opened a pop-up window which had no
    >sizing or scroll bars available. However, all content was visible w/o
    >problem.
    >
    >I then launched IE 6, went to the URL, clicked the same link and a
    >pop-up window opened with a vertical scroll bar, all content visible.
    >However, the vertical scroll bar was not functional since all the
    >content fit in the pop-up window. That's how it's supposed to work.
    >
    >The link/pop-up window is opened via javascript. I haven't examined the
    >script closely but it obviously is calling a new window without scroll
    >bars and with some user controls turned off.
    >
    >My system:
    >
    >Windows XP Pro SP2
    >FF 1.5
    >SeaMonkey 1.0 Beta
    >IE 6 fully patched
    >LCD display at 1280 x 1024
    >
    >I suspect that the lack of scroll bar in the Mozilla browsers is by
    >design. That is, since they're not needed the browser simply doesn't
    >display them. In IE I'm guessing that it displays the vertical scroll
    >bar by default. Or, the javascript call has code in it that makes IE
    >show the scroll bar. In which case, the Mozilla browsers are ignoring
    >it because it's not necessary.
    >
    >But, near as I can tell everything is operating as intended. If that's
    >different for you, the first thing I'd check on your end are extensions
    >and/or themes.

    Thanks for the feedback, Ed. I used the info in Arne's
    reply to rest some of the filters to true as they were
    originally set to false. Since I am running FF as
    installed, those values must be set to false by default
    which prevents these windows from opening properly. I reset
    all of the values he provided without experimenting so I do
    not know which was the problem. I intend to go back later
    and experiment with them since I obviously need to gain a
    bit more knowledge of the filtering system of FF.

    Thanks, again
    Lugnut
    lugnut, Jan 19, 2006
  9. lugnut

    Arne Guest

    Once upon a time *lugnut* wrote:

    > On Thu, 19 Jan 2006 10:40:12 +0100, Arne
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>Once upon a time *lugnut* wrote:

    >>> I have been shopping for a new cell phone service which
    >>> looks like it will have to be this one. In any case, this
    >>> is an example URL. When I click on one of the links for
    >>> more info on one of the features, it opens a frame that is
    >>> too small to see the entire page to be displayed and has no
    >>> scroll bars to navigate so that the contents can be fully
    >>> viewed. This same URL in IE displays with scroll bars or
    >>> can be enlarged to view the entire page. Again, any help
    >>> would be appreciated.
    >>>
    >>> The original URL was several lines long. I hope this
    >>> tinyurl will work. It did for me.
    >>>
    >>> Lugnut
    >>>
    >>> http://tinyurl.com/bpk5e

    >>I'm using the Suite, but I'll guess this is similar in Firefox.
    >>
    >>Try go to about:config (type it in the address bar) and type
    >>"dom.disable_window_open" (without the quotes) in the filter bar.
    >>
    >>Among a few other things, you will see the following lines, that I have
    >>change the value from false to true
    >>
    >>dom.disable_window_open_feature.location
    >>dom.disable_window_open_feature.menubar
    >>dom.disable_window_open_feature.minimizable
    >>dom.disable_window_open_feature.resizable
    >>dom.disable_window_open_feature.scrollbars
    >>
    >>When I click on a link that open a small (popup) window, I still have
    >>the scrollbar (if it's needed to see the content) and most other things
    >>on my window, since the settings owerride the designers script for popup
    >>windows.

    > Thanks for the info. I set each of these values to true -
    > problem solved. I do not know which was the exact one or
    > combination that produced the desired results as I have not
    > had the time to experiment but, now, I won't have to use IE
    > along with FF on site such as this. I greatly prefer FF
    > but, do not yet have knowledge of the filtering system.
    >
    > Thanks, again
    > Lugnut

    It's the last one that keep the vertical scrollbars on the window. But I
    like to keep also the toolbar, menu and other things that designers
    often try to eliminate from popup windows. :)

    Arne, Jan 19, 2006
  10. lugnut

    lugnut Guest

    On Thu, 19 Jan 2006 16:47:30 +0100, Arne
    <> wrote:

    >Once upon a time *lugnut* wrote:
    >
    >> On Thu, 19 Jan 2006 10:40:12 +0100, Arne
    >> <> wrote:

    "snip!!"

    >It's the last one that keep the vertical scrollbars on the window. But I
    >like to keep also the toolbar, menu and other things that designers
    >often try to eliminate from popup windows. :)

    Is there some URL or other resource that outlines, explains
    or defines each of the settings and filters in FF that I may
    use to make it perform as needed?

    Lugnut
    lugnut, Jan 19, 2006
  11. lugnut

    Arne Guest

    Once upon a time *lugnut* wrote:

    > On Thu, 19 Jan 2006 16:47:30 +0100, Arne
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>Once upon a time *lugnut* wrote:

    > "snip!!"
    >>
    >>It's the last one that keep the vertical scrollbars on the window. But I
    >>like to keep also the toolbar, menu and other things that designers
    >>often try to eliminate from popup windows. :)

    > Is there some URL or other resource that outlines, explains
    > or defines each of the settings and filters in FF that I may
    > use to make it perform as needed?

    Sorry, I don't know where to find them all (or most), but this page have
    a lot: http://preferential.mozdev.org/preferences.html

    Arne, Jan 19, 2006
  12. lugnut

    lugnut Guest

    On Thu, 19 Jan 2006 20:05:38 +0100, Arne
    <> wrote:

    >Once upon a time *lugnut* wrote:
    >
    >> On Thu, 19 Jan 2006 16:47:30 +0100, Arne
    >> <> wrote:

    >> "snip!!"
    >>>
    >>>It's the last one that keep the vertical scrollbars on the window. But I
    >>>like to keep also the toolbar, menu and other things that designers
    >>>often try to eliminate from popup windows. :)

    >> Is there some URL or other resource that outlines, explains
    >> or defines each of the settings and filters in FF that I may
    >> use to make it perform as needed?

    >Sorry, I don't know where to find them all (or most), but this page have
    >a lot: http://preferential.mozdev.org/preferences.html

    Thanks! That is like a small gold mine of FF info!

    Lugnut
    lugnut, Jan 19, 2006
  13. lugnut

    Kate Guest

    lugnut wrote:
    > On Thu, 19 Jan 2006 20:05:38 +0100, Arne
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> Once upon a time *lugnut* wrote:

    >>> "snip!!"
    >>>
    >>> Is there some URL or other resource that outlines, explains
    >>> or defines each of the settings and filters in FF that I may
    >>> use to make it perform as needed?

    >> Sorry, I don't know where to find them all (or most), but this page have
    >> a lot: http://preferential.mozdev.org/preferences.html

    > Thanks! That is like a small gold mine of FF info!
    >
    > Lugnut

    And many thanks to Arne from me for the info re changing the values. I
    have been having trouble with the small windows since installing Ff 1.5,
    but by altering the resizable feature to true all is now AOK.

    Kate from Oz
    Kate, Jan 19, 2006