    two lines on a capital F as there was in that one (assuming yyou
    have correct font to see it!!)

    Help!!
    Lord Turkey Cough, Oct 29, 2007

  2. Lord Turkey Cough

    Stacis Guest

    Lord Turkey Cough wrote:
    > As above.
    > I hate the default Firefox font is looks terrible, for example
    > a google search result pages looks horrible and is a paint
    > to read, the characters look to thin and faint.

    Mine looks fine. It seems you've screwed with something you shouldn't.
    Stacis, Oct 30, 2007

  3. Lord Turkey Cough

    Rom Guest

    On Mon, 29 Oct 2007 23:33:23 GMT, Lord Turkey Cough wrote:

    > As above.
    > I hate the default Firefox font is looks terrible, for example
    > a google search result pages looks horrible and is a paint
    > to read, the characters look to thin and faint.
    >
    > The look miles better in IE, I can't understand why FF
    > uses such a piss poor washed out font.

    Using your example of a search result page with the installed default
    font settings in both IE and Firefox, which is IE and which is Firefox
    in the image: <http://i22.tinypic.com/3495v7t.png>?

    The page chose the font and is using Arial.

    > Can anyone tell me how to make the font look thicker
    > and bolder as it does in the IE default font.

    My IE uses the font from the page unless none are specified.

    Try Firefox back at its installed font defaults.

    Also try the Firefox NoSquint extension:
    <https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/2592>.
    It doesn't change the font but can set or increase the font size of
    sites, which in turn can make text look thicker and bolder.

    --
    Rom
    Rom, Oct 30, 2007
  4. "Stacis" <> wrote in message
    > Lord Turkey Cough wrote:
    >> As above.
    >> I hate the default Firefox font is looks terrible, for example
    >> a google search result pages looks horrible and is a paint
    >> to read, the characters look to thin and faint.

    > Mine looks fine. It seems you've screwed with something you shouldn't.

    Not it's basicall the default settings as i is with IE.
    That was how it was 'out of the box' ie crap.

    I had not changed anything first time I even looked at fonts
    etc
    Lord Turkey Cough, Oct 30, 2007
  5. "Rom" <> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 29 Oct 2007 23:33:23 GMT, Lord Turkey Cough wrote:
    >
    >> As above.
    >> I hate the default Firefox font is looks terrible, for example
    >> a google search result pages looks horrible and is a paint
    >> to read, the characters look to thin and faint.
    >>
    >> The look miles better in IE, I can't understand why FF
    >> uses such a piss poor washed out font.

    > Using your example of a search result page with the installed default
    > font settings in both IE and Firefox, which is IE and which is Firefox
    > in the image: <http://i22.tinypic.com/3495v7t.png>?

    Neither, neither looks like the fot I et with Firefox, the left looks
    closest
    marginally but it is nowhere near the thin washed out font i get.

    I have taken a picture of my font.
    I just need an easyway to share it.

    http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=4tj1qxk&s=1

    OK Click on full size.
    No prizes for spotting the firefox font!!!!!!!!
    Pathetic isn't it!

    > The page chose the font and is using Arial.
    >
    >> Can anyone tell me how to make the font look thicker
    >> and bolder as it does in the IE default font.

    > My IE uses the font from the page unless none are specified.
    >
    > Try Firefox back at its installed font defaults.

    It is I have never messed with it.

    > Also try the Firefox NoSquint extension:
    > <https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/2592>.
    > It doesn't change the font but can set or increase the font size of
    > sites, which in turn can make text look thicker and bolder.

    Will try that but I tried increasing the size, it's just easier to see how
    shit it looks.

    Lord Turkey Cough, Oct 30, 2007
  6. "Lord Turkey Cough" <> wrote in message

    > "Rom" <> wrote in message
    >> On Mon, 29 Oct 2007 23:33:23 GMT, Lord Turkey Cough wrote:
    >>
    >>> As above.
    >>> I hate the default Firefox font is looks terrible, for example
    >>> a google search result pages looks horrible and is a paint
    >>> to read, the characters look to thin and faint.
    >>>
    >>> The look miles better in IE, I can't understand why FF
    >>> uses such a piss poor washed out font.

    >> Using your example of a search result page with the installed default
    >> font settings in both IE and Firefox, which is IE and which is Firefox
    >> in the image: <http://i22.tinypic.com/3495v7t.png>?

    > Neither, neither looks like the fot I et with Firefox, the left looks
    > closest
    > marginally but it is nowhere near the thin washed out font i get.
    >
    > I have taken a picture of my font.
    > I just need an easyway to share it.
    >
    > http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=4tj1qxk&s=1
    >
    > OK Click on full size.
    > No prizes for spotting the firefox font!!!!!!!!
    > Pathetic isn't it!
    >

    >> The page chose the font and is using Arial.
    >>
    >>> Can anyone tell me how to make the font look thicker
    >>> and bolder as it does in the IE default font.

    >> My IE uses the font from the page unless none are specified.
    >>
    >> Try Firefox back at its installed font defaults.

    > It is I have never messed with it.
    >

    >> Also try the Firefox NoSquint extension:
    >> <https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/2592>.
    >> It doesn't change the font but can set or increase the font size of
    >> sites, which in turn can make text look thicker and bolder.

    > Will try that but I tried increasing the size, it's just easier to see how
    > shit it looks.

    Not even gonna try, magnification won't work.

    Lord Turkey Cough, Oct 30, 2007
  7. "Lord Turkey Cough" <> wrote in message

    > "Lord Turkey Cough" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Rom" <> wrote in message

    >>> Using your example of a search result page with the installed default
    >>> font settings in both IE and Firefox, which is IE and which is Firefox
    >>> in the image: <http://i22.tinypic.com/3495v7t.png>?

    >> Neither, neither looks like the fot I et with Firefox, the left looks
    >> closest
    >> marginally but it is nowhere near the thin washed out font i get.
    >>
    >> I have taken a picture of my font.
    >> I just need an easyway to share it.
    >>
    >> http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=4tj1qxk&s=1
    >>
    >> OK Click on full size.
    >> No prizes for spotting the firefox font!!!!!!!!
    >> Pathetic isn't it!
    >>

    >>> The page chose the font and is using Arial.

    >>> My IE uses the font from the page unless none are specified.
    >>>
    >>> Try Firefox back at its installed font defaults.

    >> It is I have never messed with it.
    >>

    >>> Also try the Firefox NoSquint extension:
    >>> <https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/2592>.
    >>> It doesn't change the font but can set or increase the font size of
    >>> sites, which in turn can make text look thicker and bolder.

    >> Will try that but I tried increasing the size, it's just easier to see
    >> how shit it looks.

    > Not even gonna try, magnification won't work.

    I have just downloaded and installed FF from scratch and it
    stil looks shit.
    Lord Turkey Cough, Oct 30, 2007
  8. On 2007-10-30, Lord Turkey Cough <> wrote:

    > I have just downloaded and installed FF from scratch and it
    > stil looks shit.

    I suspect something local to your setup. My wife just bought a brand new
    Vista machine last weekend and we installed Firefox on it. Fonts are
    just fine.

    --

    John ()
    John Thompson, Oct 31, 2007
  9. Lord Turkey Cough

    Rom Guest

    On Tue, 30 Oct 2007 21:27:18 GMT, Lord Turkey Cough wrote:

    > "Rom" <> wrote in message
    >> On Mon, 29 Oct 2007 23:33:23 GMT, Lord Turkey Cough wrote:
    >>
    >>> As above.
    >>> I hate the default Firefox font is looks terrible, for example
    >>> a google search result pages looks horrible and is a paint
    >>> to read, the characters look to thin and faint.
    >>>
    >>> The look miles better in IE, I can't understand why FF
    >>> uses such a piss poor washed out font.

    >> Using your example of a search result page with the installed default
    >> font settings in both IE and Firefox, which is IE and which is Firefox
    >> in the image: <http://i22.tinypic.com/3495v7t.png>?

    > Neither, neither looks like the fot I et with Firefox, the left looks
    > closest
    > marginally but it is nowhere near the thin washed out font i get.

    There's not that much difference with IE7 and Firefox font defaults
    here in Vista with 19" LCD widescreen and 1440x900 native resolution.

    > I have taken a picture of my font.
    > I just need an easyway to share it.
    >
    > http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=4tj1qxk&s=1
    >
    > OK Click on full size.
    > No prizes for spotting the firefox font!!!!!!!!
    > Pathetic isn't it!

    I see the difference with IE7 and Firefox in your image.
    Your using XP and a 1280x1024 resolution.

    Have you tried ClearType and tuning it?
    <http://www.microsoft.com/typography/ClearTypeInfo.mspx>

    There's an online tuner (might (not) work with Firefox):
    <http://www.microsoft.com/typography/cleartype/tuner/Step1.aspx>,
    and there's a downloadable PowerToy for XP:
    <http://www.microsoft.com/typography/ClearTypePowerToy.mspx>

    ClearType helped in general when I used XP (CRT and LCD).

    --
    Rom
    Rom, Oct 31, 2007
  10. "John Thompson" <2.dhs.org> wrote in message
    > On 2007-10-30, Lord Turkey Cough <> wrote:
    >
    >> I have just downloaded and installed FF from scratch and it
    >> stil looks shit.

    > I suspect something local to your setup. My wife just bought a brand new
    > Vista machine last weekend and we installed Firefox on it. Fonts are
    > just fine.

    It seems you need cleartype set in control pannel - display - appearance -
    effects
    in second box down. Assuming it is an LCD monitor.

    However IE manages to get it right without this set, setting it fixed it for
    me
    but it also changes things else where such as in OE where I never had any
    problem.
    However that is not really a problem, things just look a bit different,
    bolder text,
    I will get used to it, it was fine as it was.

    Lord Turkey Cough, Oct 31, 2007
  11. "Lord Turkey Cough" <> wrote in message

    > "John Thompson" <2.dhs.org> wrote in message
    >> On 2007-10-30, Lord Turkey Cough <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> I have just downloaded and installed FF from scratch and it
    >>> stil looks shit.

    >> I suspect something local to your setup. My wife just bought a brand new
    >> Vista machine last weekend and we installed Firefox on it. Fonts are
    >> just fine.

    > It seems you need cleartype set in control pannel - display - appearance -
    > effects
    > in second box down. Assuming it is an LCD monitor.
    >
    > However IE manages to get it right without this set, setting it fixed it
    > for me
    > but it also changes things else where such as in OE where I never had any
    > problem.
    > However that is not really a problem, things just look a bit different,
    > bolder text,
    > I will get used to it, it was fine as it was.

    There is still a problem with the underlining of links
    an underline of mixed bold and normal fonts looks unatural,

    Lord Turkey Cough, Oct 31, 2007
  12. "Rom" <> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 30 Oct 2007 21:27:18 GMT, Lord Turkey Cough wrote:
    >
    >> "Rom" <> wrote in message

    >>> Using your example of a search result page with the installed default
    >>> font settings in both IE and Firefox, which is IE and which is Firefox
    >>> in the image: <http://i22.tinypic.com/3495v7t.png>?

    >> Neither, neither looks like the fot I et with Firefox, the left looks
    >> closest
    >> marginally but it is nowhere near the thin washed out font i get.

    > There's not that much difference with IE7 and Firefox font defaults
    > here in Vista with 19" LCD widescreen and 1440x900 native resolution.
    >
    >> I have taken a picture of my font.
    >> I just need an easyway to share it.
    >>
    >> http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=4tj1qxk&s=1
    >>
    >> OK Click on full size.
    >> No prizes for spotting the firefox font!!!!!!!!
    >> Pathetic isn't it!

    > I see the difference with IE7 and Firefox in your image.
    > Your using XP and a 1280x1024 resolution.
    >
    > Have you tried ClearType and tuning it?
    > <http://www.microsoft.com/typography/ClearTypeInfo.mspx>

    Setting clear type seems to do the trick as I metioned in my other post.
    I am not sure if it tells you how to do it in that link, its control
    panel-displaly-
    appearance-effect-then second box down.

    > There's an online tuner (might (not) work with Firefox):

    I don't think you need that to be honest, setting cleartype seems to sort it

    Lord Turkey Cough, Oct 31, 2007
  13. Lord Turkey Cough

    Rom Guest

    On Wed, 31 Oct 2007 13:33:37 +1100, Rom wrote:

    > Have you tried ClearType and tuning it?
    > <http://www.microsoft.com/typography/ClearTypeInfo.mspx>
    >
    > There's an online tuner (might (not) work with Firefox):
    > <http://www.microsoft.com/typography/cleartype/tuner/Step1.aspx>,
    > and there's a downloadable PowerToy for XP:
    > <http://www.microsoft.com/typography/ClearTypePowerToy.mspx>
    >
    > ClearType helped in general when I used XP (CRT and LCD).

    The online tuner has been updated (didn't check) since I bookmarked it
    <http://www.microsoft.com/typography/cleartype/tuner/tune.aspx>.

    --
    Rom
    Rom, Oct 31, 2007
  14. "Rom" <> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 31 Oct 2007 13:33:37 +1100, Rom wrote:
    >
    >> Have you tried ClearType and tuning it?
    >> <http://www.microsoft.com/typography/ClearTypeInfo.mspx>
    >>
    >> There's an online tuner (might (not) work with Firefox):
    >> <http://www.microsoft.com/typography/cleartype/tuner/Step1.aspx>,
    >> and there's a downloadable PowerToy for XP:
    >> <http://www.microsoft.com/typography/ClearTypePowerToy.mspx>
    >>
    >> ClearType helped in general when I used XP (CRT and LCD).

    > The online tuner has been updated (didn't check) since I bookmarked it
    > <http://www.microsoft.com/typography/cleartype/tuner/tune.aspx>.

    I have not actually tried that myself, setting cleartype seemed to do the
    trick.
    I would problably make thinigs worse if I tried :O)

    Lord Turkey Cough, Oct 31, 2007
  15. Lord Turkey Cough

    Rom Guest

    On Wed, 31 Oct 2007 04:09:12 GMT, Lord Turkey Cough wrote:

    > "Rom" <> wrote in message

    [...]
    >> The online tuner has been updated (didn't check) since I bookmarked it
    >> <http://www.microsoft.com/typography/cleartype/tuner/tune.aspx>.

    > I have not actually tried that myself, setting cleartype seemed to do the
    > trick.

    Good to hear that fixed it.

    > I would problably make thinigs worse if I tried :O)

    There's no need to if you're happy with the result after enabling it.
    ClearType tuning is like a brief eye test in a way, as you get to
    choose what looks better and can read better from the blocks of text
    presented.

    --
    Rom
    Rom, Oct 31, 2007
  16. Lord Turkey Cough

    Justin Guest

    Lord Turkey Cough wrote on [Tue, 30 Oct 2007 21:27:18 GMT]:

    > "Rom" <> wrote in message
    >> On Mon, 29 Oct 2007 23:33:23 GMT, Lord Turkey Cough wrote:
    >>
    >>> As above.
    >>> I hate the default Firefox font is looks terrible, for example
    >>> a google search result pages looks horrible and is a paint
    >>> to read, the characters look to thin and faint.
    >>>
    >>> The look miles better in IE, I can't understand why FF
    >>> uses such a piss poor washed out font.

    >> Using your example of a search result page with the installed default
    >> font settings in both IE and Firefox, which is IE and which is Firefox
    >> in the image: <http://i22.tinypic.com/3495v7t.png>?

    > Neither, neither looks like the fot I et with Firefox, the left looks
    > closest
    > marginally but it is nowhere near the thin washed out font i get.
    >
    > I have taken a picture of my font.
    > I just need an easyway to share it.
    >
    > http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=4tj1qxk&s=1
    >
    > OK Click on full size.
    > No prizes for spotting the firefox font!!!!!!!!
    > Pathetic isn't it!

    Looks just fine to me.
    Justin, Oct 31, 2007
  17. "Justin" <> wrote in message
    > Lord Turkey Cough wrote on [Tue, 30 Oct 2007 21:27:18 GMT]:
    >>
    >> "Rom" <> wrote in message

    >>> Using your example of a search result page with the installed default
    >>> font settings in both IE and Firefox, which is IE and which is Firefox
    >>> in the image: <http://i22.tinypic.com/3495v7t.png>?

    >> Neither, neither looks like the fot I et with Firefox, the left looks
    >> closest
    >> marginally but it is nowhere near the thin washed out font i get.
    >>
    >> I have taken a picture of my font.
    >> I just need an easyway to share it.
    >>
    >> http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=4tj1qxk&s=1
    >>
    >> OK Click on full size.
    >> No prizes for spotting the firefox font!!!!!!!!
    >> Pathetic isn't it!

    > Looks just fine to me.

    Do u have a CRT monitor?

    Or clear type on?

    Lord Turkey Cough, Oct 31, 2007
  18. "Justin" <> wrote in message
    > Lord Turkey Cough wrote on [Tue, 30 Oct 2007 21:27:18 GMT]:
    >>
    >> "Rom" <> wrote in message

    >>> Using your example of a search result page with the installed default
    >>> font settings in both IE and Firefox, which is IE and which is Firefox
    >>> in the image: <http://i22.tinypic.com/3495v7t.png>?

    >> Neither, neither looks like the fot I et with Firefox, the left looks
    >> closest
    >> marginally but it is nowhere near the thin washed out font i get.
    >>
    >> I have taken a picture of my font.
    >> I just need an easyway to share it.
    >>
    >> http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=4tj1qxk&s=1
    >>
    >> OK Click on full size.
    >> No prizes for spotting the firefox font!!!!!!!!
    >> Pathetic isn't it!

    > Looks just fine to me.

    I think you are mistaken.

    Lord Turkey Cough, Oct 31, 2007
  19. Lord Turkey Cough

    Justin Guest

    Lord Turkey Cough wrote on [Wed, 31 Oct 2007 17:38:40 GMT]:

    > "Justin" <> wrote in message
    >> Lord Turkey Cough wrote on [Tue, 30 Oct 2007 21:27:18 GMT]:
    >>>
    >>> "Rom" <> wrote in message

    >>> Neither, neither looks like the fot I et with Firefox, the left looks
    >>> closest
    >>> marginally but it is nowhere near the thin washed out font i get.
    >>>
    >>> I have taken a picture of my font.
    >>> I just need an easyway to share it.
    >>>
    >>> http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=4tj1qxk&s=1
    >>>
    >>> OK Click on full size.
    >>> No prizes for spotting the firefox font!!!!!!!!
    >>> Pathetic isn't it!

    >> Looks just fine to me.

    > Do u have a CRT monitor?
    >
    > Or clear type on?

    I have cleartype on, and it's tuned. Like you are supposed to when you
    have an LCD
    Justin, Oct 31, 2007
  20. On Wed, 31 Oct 2007 17:39:55 GMT, "Lord Turkey Cough"
    <> wrote:

    > "Justin" <> wrote in message

    > > Looks just fine to me.

    > I think you are mistaken.

    Try pasting this to your userContent.css file.

    /* Force fonts to be bold */
    * {
    font-weight: bold !important;
    }

    I use bold for all of my Firefox fonts because the defaults are simply too
    light and thin for me to read. The main drawback is that things that are
    supposed to be bold no longer stand out from the rest. Since my eyes aren't
    perfect, just making it so I can read the text was most important. I
    actually think there should be a font-weight setting in the UI, so people
    with poor vision can increase the thickness of their fonts more easily,
    without otherwise changing the size. At least Firefox lets users adjust
    things like this using userContent.css.

    When you make any changes, be sure you are using an editor that saves the
    file as plain text, with no special formatting. You will have to restart
    Firefox after each change for it to take effect.

    You can also add

    font-family: sans-serif !important;

    and/or

    font-size: 17px !important;

    after the font-weight line, but before the closing } character. You can
    specify serif or sans-serif. (Serifs are those little lines that are added
    to characters in fonts like Times Roman. The best way to see the difference
    between serif and sans-serif is to look at both and compare them. Arial is
    an example of a sans-serif font.

    If you specify a font size here, it will likely apply to most everything.
    This is not something most people would want, but it is often required by
    some people with low vinson, and for those who want to limit their fonts to
    a specified size.
    --
    FoxWolfie
    FoxWolfie Galen, Nov 1, 2007