FireFox flaw

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by pcbutts1, Jul 23, 2005.

  1. pcbutts1

    pcbutts1 Guest

    pcbutts1, Jul 23, 2005

  2. pcbutts1

    Old Gringo Guest

    Old Gringo, Jul 23, 2005

  3. pcbutts1

    Barney Guest

    Barney, Jul 23, 2005
  4. pcbutts1

    Guest

    , Jul 23, 2005
  5. Greasemonkey flaw (Was Re: FireFox flaw)

    "pcbutts1" <> wrote in message
    > http://news.yahoo.com/s/pcworld/20050722/tc_pcworld/121918

    <Quote>
    Greasemonkey Opens Hole in Firefox
    A serious security flaw has been discovered in Greasemonkey, a widely used
    extension to the Mozilla Firefox browser.

    Greasemonkey is an extension, or add-on, to Firefox that allows users to
    customize the sites they view using powerful scripting tools. The problem is
    that certain of Greasemonkey's functions are exposed in an insecure way,
    allowing them to be exploited by a malicious site.

    "Running a Greasemonkey script on a site can expose the contents of every
    file on your local hard drive to that site," wrote Mark Pilgrim, who
    discovered the flaw, in an email to the Greasemonkey mailing list this week.

    Greasemonkey's developer advises users to upgrade to the most recent
    version, 0.3.5, which fixes the problem by disabling the tool's more
    advanced features. The bug affects all previous versions, researchers said.

    Firefox doesn't have an equivalent of ActiveX, the component of Microsoft
    Internet Explorer that allows Web sites to run powerful scripts on a user's
    system, which is often used in attacks and in spyware. Firefox extensions
    can be as powerful as the developer likes, but cannot automatically install
    themselves as can ActiveX controls.

    </Quote>

    Oxford Systems, Jul 23, 2005
  6. <> wrote in message
    > "pcbutts1" <> wrote:
    >
    > |>http://news.yahoo.com/s/pcworld/20050722/tc_pcworld/121918
    >
    > Isn't that a drag! The very day I was going to switch to Firefox (I
    > use Opera) the Greasemonkey flaw surfaced.

    But...Greasemonkey isn't a part of Firefox any more than the Google toolbar
    (for one example) is a part of IE. And besides that, the flaw in
    Greasemonkey has been addressed in the latest release. (How long would it
    take a "pay for play" vendor like MS to get around to fixing a similar
    flaw?)

    Oxford Systems, Jul 23, 2005
  7. pcbutts1

    Guest

    "Oxford Systems" <> wrote:

    |><> wrote in message

    |>> Isn't that a drag! The very day I was going to switch to Firefox (I
    |>> use Opera) the Greasemonkey flaw surfaced.

    |>But...Greasemonkey isn't a part of Firefox any more than the Google toolbar
    |>(for one example) is a part of IE.

    I need to use FireFox to run GreaseMonkey and platypus, Opera has the
    ability to do what GM does, but it uses User JavaScripts and a lot
    harder to set-up and not as powerful.

    |>And besides that, the flaw in
    |>Greasemonkey has been addressed in the latest release. (How long would it
    |>take a "pay for play" vendor like MS to get around to fixing a similar
    |>flaw?)

    They didn't fix it, they dummy'd it up by removing the API's
    http://diveintogreasemonkey.org/api/

    This was address'd on /.
    http://it.slashdot.org/it/05/07/19/143241.shtml and mention'd that
    FireFox is still a minority browser and people who use GM downright
    rare.

    I still have an old version of GM and just might set it up any way.
    Chances of me using GM to access a web page that a white paper says
    can exist is very very small.
    --

    , Jul 23, 2005
  8. pcbutts1

    why? Guest

    why?, Jul 23, 2005
  9. pcbutts1

    Krull Guest

    Re: FireFox flaw -- Bullshit!

    pcbutts1 wrote:

    > http://news.yahoo.com/s/pcworld/20050722/tc_pcworld/121918

    I know you're just the messenger, but this ISN'T a Firefox flaw,
    it's a flaw in a third-party Firefox EXTENSION. There IS a big
    difference. Any Firefox user that doesn't have this extension
    installed is NOT going suffer this flaw in any possible way.

    To call it a Firefox flaw is like saying your car has a flaw
    because you installed new seat covers in it.

    Krull, Jul 25, 2005
  10. pcbutts1

    pcbutts1 Guest

    Re: FireFox flaw -- Bullshit!

    Did you read all the other replies and then post this.

    pcbutts1, Jul 25, 2005
  11. pcbutts1

    Krull Guest

    Re: FireFox flaw -- Bullshit!

    pcbutts1 wrote:

    >> To call it a Firefox flaw is like saying your car has a flaw
    >> because you installed new seat covers in it.

    > Did you read all the other replies and then post this.

    Nope.

    Krull, Jul 25, 2005