    "I used this program for a week. It speed up some websites, but made others go slower, or not load at all for some reason. It works by opening about 30 connections to the web server which proberbly isn't too good on their end (or yours)."
    Ive started using it, and it works fine. Every webpage I've gone to so far with this installed has been loaded almost instantly. Haven't found any that load slower yet, but I'm sure I will eventually. Anyone who uses Firefox should definitely download this program :) It's easy to set up aswell, once you install and run it, you choose your pc/connection combination, eg. Fast Computer (1.5Ghz+)/Fast Connection(DSL+) Press Tune, and it's all good :)
    EDIT: I notice firetune was mentioned in the "best list of free software you will ever see" topic, but only briefly. no links, no info, so all that was missing is here :p

    XhArD, Sep 14, 2005

  2. XhArD

    The Modfather

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2005
    Messages:
    2,424
    I used it, it sped me up considerably. I also did some manual tuning in firefox a few months ago that improved things too. I wish I had the darned text file that I had then to show you what changes to make.

    The Modfather, Sep 15, 2005

  3. XhArD

    XhArD

    Joined:
    Aug 30, 2005
    Messages:
    1,709
    Location:
    Queensland, Australia
    that wasnt the user.js trick was it?

    XhArD, Sep 15, 2005
  4. XhArD

    The Modfather

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2005
    Messages:
    2,424
    No... Just some changes you make in the FF control settings.

    The Modfather, Sep 16, 2005
  5. XhArD

    unholy

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2005
    Messages:
    3,899
    Location:
    Australia
    i remember the one using config thingy...

    unholy, Sep 16, 2005
  6. XhArD

    The Modfather

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2005
    Messages:
    2,424
    Right, config thingy, that's the technical term, I forgot. :)

    The Modfather, Sep 17, 2005
  7. XhArD

    unholy

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2005
    Messages:
    3,899
    Location:
    Australia
    "about:config" is the techinal term :p i forget the rest of it though :D just put it in the url bar and hit enter :D
    i think it has something to do with HTTP.Pipelineing
    :p

    unholy, Sep 17, 2005
  8. XhArD

    The Modfather

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2005
    Messages:
    2,424
    Yep, here's the details.
    Scroll down and look for the following entries: network.http.pipelining network.http.proxy.pipelining network.http.pipelining.maxrequests
    Normally the browser will make one request to a web page at a time. When you enable pipelining it will make several at once, which really speeds up page loading.
    Alter the entries as follows: Set "network.http.pipelining" to "true" Set "network.http.proxy.pipelining" to "true" Set "network.http.pipelining.maxrequests" to some number like 30. This means it will make 30 requests at once.
    Lastly right-click anywhere and select New-> Integer. Name it "nglayout.initialpaint.delay" and set its value to "0". This value is the amount of time the browser waits before it acts on information it receives. If you're using a broadband connection you'll load pages MUCH faster now!

    The Modfather, Sep 17, 2005
  9. XhArD

    XhArD

    Joined:
    Aug 30, 2005
    Messages:
    1,709
    Location:
    Queensland, Australia
    Thanks for the tips :) i'll have to have a fiddle with the settings soon :)

    XhArD, Sep 17, 2005
  10. XhArD

    The Modfather

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2005
    Messages:
    2,424
    Firetune did more to speed it up than those tweaks did for me though.

    The Modfather, Sep 17, 2005
  11. XhArD

    XhArD

    Joined:
    Aug 30, 2005
    Messages:
    1,709
    Location:
    Queensland, Australia
    Yeah, Firetune rocks :) long live high speed internet! ,\n/

    XhArD, Sep 17, 2005
  12. XhArD

    unholy

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2005
    Messages:
    3,899
    Location:
    Australia
    long live FireFox more like it :D

    unholy, Sep 17, 2005
  13. XhArD

    XhArD

    Joined:
    Aug 30, 2005
    Messages:
    1,709
    Location:
    Queensland, Australia
    yeah, but whats theuse of Firefox if theres no high speed internet to surf with it? That just reminded me of something I read on bash.org:
    A white person surfs the net. A black person cruises the net. :p

    XhArD, Sep 18, 2005
  14. XhArD

    unholy

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2005
    Messages:
    3,899
    Location:
    Australia
    yes right wtf does that mean :|

    unholy, Sep 18, 2005
  15. XhArD

    XhArD

    Joined:
    Aug 30, 2005
    Messages:
    1,709
    Location:
    Queensland, Australia
    just the whole "black people are gangsta" sterotype thing :p

    XhArD, Sep 18, 2005
  16. XhArD

    unholy

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2005
    Messages:
    3,899
    Location:
    Australia
    yes..... *looks confused and walks off* :|

    unholy, Sep 18, 2005