    the initial startup of FF. Does this make sense?

    Thanks for any and all advice or tips.

    Robert

    R Hickey, Dec 1, 2005

  2. R Hickey wrote:
    > I installed the Firetune program to speedup Firefox starting. It worked
    > well and almost as fast as the FF preloader used to work until I
    > uninstalled it.
    >
    > Now, I don't know if this is my computer, FF or Firetune's problem but the
    > first time I try to start FF after booting my computer it takes about 9-10
    > seconds to load. Every time after that it loads in about 3 seconds. After
    > I turn the system off, FF will have to be started one time to regainthe
    > speed gain I have with Firetune.
    >
    > So it looks like Firetune is doing what it's supposed to do but only after
    > the initial startup of FF. Does this make sense?
    >
    > Thanks for any and all advice or tips.
    >
    > Robert

    I've never used Firetune, and never felt the need, but from what I've
    read, I did not think it was designed to speed up program launch, but to
    speed rendering once the program was up and running.

    I do find FF slow on the first launch, especially after a reboot, but
    subsequent launches are quite fast.

    I've never used the preloader either, though many people swear by it.
    Why did you uninstall it, if I might ask?

    Lee

    Leonidas Jones, Dec 2, 2005

  3. R Hickey

    ar@x Guest

    "Leonidas Jones" <> wrote in message
    >R Hickey wrote:
    >> I installed the Firetune program to speedup Firefox starting. It worked
    >> well and almost as fast as the FF preloader used to work until I
    >> uninstalled it.
    >>
    >> Now, I don't know if this is my computer, FF or Firetune's problem but
    >> the first time I try to start FF after booting my computer it takes about
    >> 9-10 seconds to load. Every time after that it loads in about 3 seconds.
    >> After I turn the system off, FF will have to be started one time to
    >> regainthe speed gain I have with Firetune.
    >>
    >> So it looks like Firetune is doing what it's supposed to do but only
    >> after the initial startup of FF. Does this make sense?
    >>
    >> Thanks for any and all advice or tips.
    >>
    >> Robert

    > I've never used Firetune, and never felt the need, but from what I've
    > read, I did not think it was designed to speed up program launch, but to
    > speed rendering once the program was up and running.
    >
    > I do find FF slow on the first launch, especially after a reboot, but
    > subsequent launches are quite fast.
    >
    > I've never used the preloader either, though many people swear by it. Why
    > did you uninstall it, if I might ask?
    >
    > Lee

    (sorry for butting in...) I am not sure why R Hickey uninstalled his
    pre-loader,
    but the reason I uninstalled it was that it was always causing problems
    whenever
    upgrade time came. So, going from 1.0.2 > 1.0.3 (say), the existence of a
    separate preloader
    program meant that I always got a message saying 'FF is still running, you
    should
    kill it before upgrade' even if the main FF browser was closed.

    Once, twice, and I had enough.... I am not sure if Firetune works
    diifferently
    from the pre-loader. It is a very useful feature for slower machines to
    have FF fire up
    quickly.

    --
    Kes

    ar@x, Dec 2, 2005
  4. R Hickey

    mike555 Guest

    ==== Preloader works good on Win98 systems, but on an XP system
    with "prefetch" you can speed up firefox or thunderbird by adding "
    /Prefetch:1 " to the end of it's shortcut target........ in other
    words that is what Firetune does, but you can do it yourself, by right
    clicking on the shortcut ,clicking on properties, in the target area
    make sure it says:
    "C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe" /Prefetch:1 ...
    notice the space between exe" & /Prefetch:1 ......... also
    you can do this with the Thunderbird shortcut , it should say:
    "C:\Program Files\Mozilla Thunderbird\thunderbird.exe" /Prefetch:1
    =====

    mike555, Dec 2, 2005
  5. R Hickey

    ar@x Guest

    "mike555" <> wrote in message
    > ==== Preloader works good on Win98 systems, but on an XP system
    > with "prefetch" you can speed up firefox or thunderbird by adding "
    > /Prefetch:1 " to the end of it's shortcut target........ in other
    > words that is what Firetune does, but you can do it yourself, by right
    > clicking on the shortcut ,clicking on properties, in the target area
    > make sure it says:
    > "C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe" /Prefetch:1 ...
    > notice the space between exe" & /Prefetch:1 ......... also
    > you can do this with the Thunderbird shortcut , it should say:
    > "C:\Program Files\Mozilla Thunderbird\thunderbird.exe" /Prefetch:1
    > =====

    Thanks Mike 555 for that. Are you sure that is all
    Firetune does? In any case, I have made the
    manual mod, and will be watching ....

    --
    Kes

    ar@x, Dec 2, 2005
  6. R Hickey

    R Hickey Guest

    Leonidas Jones <> wrote in

    > I've never used the preloader either, though many people swear by it.
    > Why did you uninstall it, if I might ask?

    The FF preloader made starting FF pretty fast. I liked the program but my
    darling daughter did something one day a while back that caused an error
    box from Lycos Search to keep popping up whenever I started my computer.

    Long story short,I went back and forth with the Lycos people about how to
    get this "Lycos Sidesearch" stuff off my computer and they could never
    figure it out.

    My desktop would stop showing the popup error box when I uninstalled FF
    preloader and return when I re-installed it so I just chose to leave it
    alone and look for alternate methods of giving FF a little nudge...

    The Firetune program works well and I also added "/Prefetch:1" to the FF
    target as stated in another message in this thread so we'll see.

    Robert

    R Hickey, Dec 2, 2005
  7. R Hickey

    mike555 Guest

    > Thanks Mike 555 for that. Are you sure that is all
    > Firetune does? --- snip---

    === no, that is not all Firetune does , but I think it is all it does
    to start Firefox faster (on Windows XP) ......... I would recommend
    getting the ext. " FasterFox" to speed up Firefox once it's running
    ===========

    mike555, Dec 2, 2005
  8. R Hickey wrote:
    > Leonidas Jones <> wrote in
    >> I've never used the preloader either, though many people swear by it.
    >> Why did you uninstall it, if I might ask?

    > The FF preloader made starting FF pretty fast. I liked the program but my
    > darling daughter did something one day a while back that caused an error
    > box from Lycos Search to keep popping up whenever I started my computer.
    >
    > Long story short,I went back and forth with the Lycos people about how to
    > get this "Lycos Sidesearch" stuff off my computer and they could never
    > figure it out.
    >
    > My desktop would stop showing the popup error box when I uninstalled FF
    > preloader and return when I re-installed it so I just chose to leave it
    > alone and look for alternate methods of giving FF a little nudge...
    >
    > The Firetune program works well and I also added "/Prefetch:1" to the FF
    > target as stated in another message in this thread so we'll see.
    >
    > Robert

    Thanks too both of you, I was curious. I've never used the pre loader,
    and wanted feedback, pro and con.

    lee

    Leonidas Jones, Dec 3, 2005