    a new version of Firefox is released, it seems half the extensions you have
    installed aren't compatible anymore. I just tried version 1.5rc2 and
    noticed that.
    History Fan, Nov 17, 2005

  2. Once Upon A Time History Fan wrote:

    > The huge amount of Firefox extensions are really nice and add
    >tremendous functionality to the browser. The only drawback is that whenever
    >a new version of Firefox is released, it seems half the extensions you have
    >installed aren't compatible anymore. I just tried version 1.5rc2 and
    >noticed that.

    You should ask for your money back.

    **
    Captain Infinity
    Captain Infinity, Nov 17, 2005

  3. History Fan

    mike555 Guest

    mike555, Nov 17, 2005
  4. History Fan

    Moz Champion Guest

    History Fan wrote:
    > The huge amount of Firefox extensions are really nice and add
    > tremendous functionality to the browser. The only drawback is that whenever
    > a new version of Firefox is released, it seems half the extensions you have
    > installed aren't compatible anymore. I just tried version 1.5rc2 and
    > noticed that.

    If you stick to RELEASES (final) you would have better luck

    Extension authors dont usually update their extensions to work with
    alphas, betas or even release candidates, they wait until the final
    product is out to do so. Authors use the alphas, betas and release
    candidates to test their extensions to see if they are still compatable.

    In any case there is a tool you can obtain that 'updates' your
    extensions simply by increasing the max version number. This of course
    can be problematic if there really is something in the new version that
    breaks the extension (or vice versa!)

    http://users.blueprintit.co.uk/~dave/web/firefox/buildid/nightly.html

    the rc in 1.5rc2 stands for release candidate- it is offered as a
    testing version - there may still be problems with the version, the idea
    of the candidate release is to get more users to try it so as to
    ascertain if it really is suitable for release. You may wish to note
    that this is the second release candidate, indicating that there were
    problems discovered with release candidate 1 (which is usually listed as
    1.5rc). That may or may not be indicative that there are problems or
    potential problems with this version
    Moz Champion, Nov 17, 2005
  5. History Fan

    History Fan Guest

    > If you stick to RELEASES (final) you would have better luck
    >
    > Extension authors dont usually update their extensions to work with
    > alphas, betas or even release candidates, they wait until the final
    > product is out to do so.

    True, but I've even seen extension problems between Firefox version
    1.06 to 1.07. If you wait long enough, these extensions are usually
    updated, but the wait can be frustrating.
    History Fan, Nov 17, 2005