"Firefox.exe has encountered a problem..."

Discussion in 'Firefox' started by noname@bellsouth.net, Jul 12, 2006.

  1. Guest

    I keep getting a window when I shut FF down that says something like:

    "Firefox.exe has encountered a problem and must be shut down. Please save
    all work. We are sorry for this incovenience."

    And then it goes into some other stuff and a link to get more details
    (which mean nothing to me).

    It's really no big deal since I am shutting FF down anyway. I just want to
    make sure this isn't a component of some problem somewhere.

    Thanks for any help or info.

    Robert
    , Jul 12, 2006

  2. Miller Guest

    ** wrote on 12.07.06 18:27:
    > I keep getting a window when I shut FF down that says something like:
    >
    > "Firefox.exe has encountered a problem and must be shut down. Please save
    > all work. We are sorry for this incovenience."
    >
    > And then it goes into some other stuff and a link to get more details
    > (which mean nothing to me).

    Would be interesting anyway to hear more details from you, so we
    could try help you. Without more informations this is getting very hard.

    cu, Miller
    Miller, Jul 13, 2006

  3. Miller Guest

    Miller, Jul 13, 2006
  4. Re: "Firefox.exe has encountered a problem..." - 3 attachments

    wrote:
    > Miller <> wrote in
    >
    >> ** wrote on 12.07.06 18:27:
    >>> I keep getting a window when I shut FF down that says something
    >>> like:
    >>>
    >>> "Firefox.exe has encountered a problem and must be shut down. Please
    >>> save all work. We are sorry for this incovenience."
    >>>
    >>> And then it goes into some other stuff and a link to get more
    >>> details (which mean nothing to me).

    >> Would be interesting anyway to hear more details from you, so we
    >> could try help you. Without more informations this is getting very
    >> hard.
    >>
    >> cu, Miller

    > It took a while for this to happen again (naturally...) but it just did
    > it.
    >
    > Only problem is that I can't copy the text on the screen so had to resort
    > to screen shots.
    >
    > I did FF1 which is the first error window to pop up; FF2 which is what you
    > get when you click the underlined link in FF1; and FF3 which is just the
    > first part of what turns out to be pages and pages and pages of text after
    > clicking the underlined link in FF2.
    >
    > Sorry I couldn't make this a little simpler but unless someone has any
    > idea how to do that, the 3 screen shots are about it.
    >
    > Thanks to anyone who can decipher this.
    >
    > Robert

    Try this
    http://home.att.net/~cherokee67/ns7xpcomcrash.html
    But note what Holger has to say about xpcom.dll errors
    http://www.holgermetzger.de/efaqgeneral.html#2
    you may wish to go direct to the new profile?
    Mozilla Champion (Dan), Jul 15, 2006
  5. Re: "Firefox.exe has encountered a problem..." - 3 attachments

    Mozilla Champion (Dan), Jul 15, 2006
  6. Guest

    Re: "Firefox.exe has encountered a problem..." - 3 attachments

    "Mozilla Champion (Dan)" <> wrote in

    > Try this
    > http://home.att.net/~cherokee67/ns7xpcomcrash.html
    > But note what Holger has to say about xpcom.dll errors
    > http://www.holgermetzger.de/efaqgeneral.html#2
    > you may wish to go direct to the new profile?

    OK, at this point I'm starting to feel really stupid. I went to the 2 URLs
    you posted above but I am not getting what this is trying to tell me.

    I'm not getting to where the XPI file is. I get to the FF > profile file
    (s) but there doesn't seem to be any XPI file(s) there.

    This is where I shoulda paid closer attention to others' posts about
    making a new profile.

    How do you create a new profile?

    Thanks for your help and time,

    Robert
    , Jul 15, 2006
  7. Guest

    > Try this
    > http://home.att.net/~cherokee67/ns7xpcomcrash.html
    > But note what Holger has to say about xpcom.dll errors
    > http://www.holgermetzger.de/efaqgeneral.html#2
    > you may wish to go direct to the new profile?

    OK, at this point I'm starting to feel really stupid. I went to the 2 URLs
    you posted above but I am not getting what this is trying to tell me.

    I'm not getting to where the XPI file is. I get to the FF > profile file
    (s) but there doesn't seem to be any XPI file(s) there.

    This is where I shoulda paid closer attention to others' posts about
    making a new profile.

    How do you create a new profile?

    Thanks for your help and time,

    Robert
    , Jul 15, 2006
  8. Re: "Firefox.exe has encountered a problem..." - 3 attachments

    wrote:
    > "Mozilla Champion (Dan)" <> wrote in
    >> Try this
    >> http://home.att.net/~cherokee67/ns7xpcomcrash.html
    >> But note what Holger has to say about xpcom.dll errors
    >> http://www.holgermetzger.de/efaqgeneral.html#2
    >> you may wish to go direct to the new profile?

    > OK, at this point I'm starting to feel really stupid. I went to the 2 URLs
    > you posted above but I am not getting what this is trying to tell me.
    >
    > I'm not getting to where the XPI file is. I get to the FF > profile file
    > (s) but there doesn't seem to be any XPI file(s) there.
    >
    > This is where I shoulda paid closer attention to others' posts about
    > making a new profile.
    >
    > How do you create a new profile?
    >
    > Thanks for your help and time,
    >
    > Robert

    ??Why are you looking for a xpi file?
    If you READ the screen shots, you are getting an error in xpicom.dll,
    and the links I suggested tell you how to correct that.

    Of course, the best solution would be to create a new profile, and you
    can learn how to do that by reading this;
    http://www.mozilla.org/support/firefox/profile
    Mozilla Champion (Dan), Jul 16, 2006
  9. Re: "Firefox.exe has encountered a problem..." - 3 attachments

    Mozilla Champion (Dan), Jul 16, 2006
  10. Guest

    > ??Why are you looking for a xpi file?

    Because at the "Cherokee" site listed in the first reply it says "Another
    approach is to install xpcom.xpi. The file could have become corrupt
    during the install of Netscape 7."

    I got a copy of 'xpcom.xpi' and thought maybe I could replace my old file
    with this new copy. I don't know, I said I was feeling kinda stupid...

    > If you READ the screen shots, you are getting an error in xpicom.dll,
    > and the links I suggested tell you how to correct that.

    Easy for you to say :). I tried doing what the two URLs you sent (and
    thank you for that) said but I kept coming up short.

    > Of course, the best solution would be to create a new profile, and
    > you can learn how to do that by reading this;
    > http://www.mozilla.org/support/firefox/profile

    Got it, did it, bookmarked this address and thank you again.

    Bottom line is that this is really not a big deal. I get the error message
    telling me FF has to close AFTER I close FF myself so I really am not
    inconvenienced by it. I was just wondering if this was a precursor to a
    future problem(s).

    Thanks for your help.
    , Jul 16, 2006
  11. Guest