Firefox dialog: unable to verify the identity of ... as a trusted site

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by jjoensuu, Oct 14, 2007.

  1. jjoensuu

    jjoensuu Guest

    Hi folks

    I occasionally get the "unable to verify the identity of ... as a
    trusted site" dialog when accessing a website using one computer but
    not when using another. For example I like to look at the courses
    available at "The Teaching Company" (at www.teach12.com) and get this
    dialog when I'm about to log into my account at that site.

    My questions are about the "Examine certificate" button in that
    dialog. What I wanted to know is, when I get this dialog, is there
    something I could look for in the certificate to determine if I should
    proceed or not? Let's say that the certificate was used by some
    spoofer to try to fool me to a site that is not www.teach12.com. Would
    I in this case see something else than "www.teach12.com" in the
    "Issued to / Common name (CN)" field?

    And does anyone have any books/websites that they can recommend that
    explain these issues?

    thanks in advance,

    JJ
    jjoensuu, Oct 14, 2007