FireFox default page keeps reseting?

Discussion in 'Firefox' started by Randy, Mar 29, 2007.

  1. Randy

    Randy Guest

    Hello everyone, I'm new to this newsgroup so....nice to meet you all. I
    have an interesting question, I think.

    I recently moved from the United States to The Netherlands and joined
    HetNet.nl for my internet service. I use Firefox as my browser, and for the
    longest time used Windows XP Home Edition with only one user - myself - as
    computer administrator.

    I never set up other account users within WinXP until last night, and when I
    did, I gave my oldest daughter (17) admin priviledges and her own User
    Account.

    However, when i went to open the FireFox browser in her account, it
    automatically switched the default home page to: www.google.nl, instead of
    the regular one I use: www.google.com . I went into Tools, Options,
    Homepage, and re-typed in www.google.com, and applied/saved it, but when I
    closed FireFox and reopened it, it reset itself to: www.google.nl. It will
    not let me change this setting now.

    Does anyone know why it keeps switching back to google.nl instead of
    google.com, no matter how many time I correct it?

    Thanks for your time, Randy

    Randy, Mar 29, 2007

  2. Randy

    Rom Guest

    On Thu, 29 Mar 2007 10:34:46 +0200, Randy wrote:

    > However, when i went to open the FireFox browser in her account, it
    > automatically switched the default home page to: www.google.nl, instead of
    > the regular one I use: www.google.com . I went into Tools, Options,
    > Homepage, and re-typed in www.google.com, and applied/saved it, but when I
    > closed FireFox and reopened it, it reset itself to: www.google.nl. It will
    > not let me change this setting now.
    >
    > Does anyone know why it keeps switching back to google.nl instead of
    > google.com, no matter how many time I correct it?

    Is the homepage changing from .com to .nl in Tools > Options > Main?
    Or is it www.google.com, but www.google.nl is loading instead?

    Another way to see the homepage is to type about:config into the
    address bar and press Enter, then type startup into the Filter box.
    <http://kb.mozillazine.org/Browser.startup.homepage>

    If you type www.google.com into the address bar and press Enter, does
    http://www.google.com/ or http://www.google.nl/ load?

    If http://www.google.com/ loads, with only that page open, go to Tools

    If http://www.google.nl/ loads see:
    <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Akamai_Technologies>

    --
    Rom

    Rom, Mar 29, 2007

  3. Randy

    Doug G Guest

    Randy wrote:
    > Hello everyone, I'm new to this newsgroup so....nice to meet you all. I
    > have an interesting question, I think.
    >
    > I recently moved from the United States to The Netherlands and joined
    > HetNet.nl for my internet service. I use Firefox as my browser, and for the
    > longest time used Windows XP Home Edition with only one user - myself - as
    > computer administrator.
    >
    > I never set up other account users within WinXP until last night, and when I
    > did, I gave my oldest daughter (17) admin priviledges and her own User
    > Account.
    >
    > However, when i went to open the FireFox browser in her account, it
    > automatically switched the default home page to: www.google.nl, instead of
    > the regular one I use: www.google.com . I went into Tools, Options,
    > Homepage, and re-typed in www.google.com, and applied/saved it, but when I
    > closed FireFox and reopened it, it reset itself to: www.google.nl. It will
    > not let me change this setting now.
    >
    > Does anyone know why it keeps switching back to google.nl instead of
    > google.com, no matter how many time I correct it?
    >
    > Thanks for your time, Randy

    If the prefs.js file in your daughter's Firefox profile is marked
    read-only, any changes made in Options won't be saved when the program
    is closed. Change the file's attribute while the program is closed.

    How To Manage Profiles
    http://www.mozilla.org/support/firefox/profile

    You can create a file named user.js containing the following line.

    user_pref("browser.startup.homepage", "http://my.google.com/");

    Use Notepad to create the user.js file and save it in the same profile
    folder as the prefs.js file.

    Doug G, Mar 29, 2007