Firefox/deerpark

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Phstpok, Apr 11, 2006.

  1. Phstpok

    Phstpok Guest

    2 weeks ago I installed a new hard drive and fresh install of XP.
    Installed Firerfox and thought I'd try out Mozilla Deerpark Alpha 1.6a1.
    Set deerpark as default browser. Yesterday I uninstalled deerpark. Today
    I was working in Dreamweaver, f12 to view in browser, and lo and behold,
    up comes deerpark (set as default in dreamweaver). My shortcut to
    firefox also now points to deerpark.

    Deerpark has an auto-update feature, but I presumed unninstalling the
    main program would have uninstalled the updater, or at least disabled
    it. There is nothing in add/remove programs relating to the update
    feature. In fact there is no entry in add/remove programs now relating
    to deerpark, even though it is obviously installed again somehow. All I
    can think of is that the update feature stayed enabled, went to work
    overnight and installed the latest version.

    I will be querying Mozilla about this, but has anyone else had something
    similar happen? And are Mozilla trying to out-Microsoft Microsoft?

    --
    Phstpok - the friendly alien

    www.phstpok.com

    Never hold your farts in.
    They travel up your spine
    and into your brain,
    and that is where all your shitty ideas come from.
    Phstpok, Apr 11, 2006

  2. Phstpok

    Gordon Guest

    On Tue, 11 Apr 2006 17:08:56 +1200, Phstpok wrote:

    > 2 weeks ago I installed a new hard drive and fresh install of XP.
    > Installed Firerfox and thought I'd try out Mozilla Deerpark Alpha 1.6a1.
    > Set deerpark as default browser. Yesterday I uninstalled deerpark. Today
    > I was working in Dreamweaver, f12 to view in browser, and lo and behold,
    > up comes deerpark (set as default in dreamweaver). My shortcut to
    > firefox also now points to deerpark.
    >
    > Deerpark has an auto-update feature, but I presumed unninstalling the
    > main program would have uninstalled the updater, or at least disabled
    > it. There is nothing in add/remove programs relating to the update
    > feature. In fact there is no entry in add/remove programs now relating
    > to deerpark, even though it is obviously installed again somehow. All I
    > can think of is that the update feature stayed enabled, went to work
    > overnight and installed the latest version.
    >
    > I will be querying Mozilla about this, but has anyone else had something
    > similar happen? And are Mozilla trying to out-Microsoft Microsoft?

    Keep in mind you are running alpha software, using deerpark.
    Gordon, Apr 11, 2006

  3. Phstpok

    Phstpok Guest

    Gordon wrote:

    >On Tue, 11 Apr 2006 17:08:56 +1200, Phstpok wrote:
    >

    >>2 weeks ago I installed a new hard drive and fresh install of XP.
    >>Installed Firerfox and thought I'd try out Mozilla Deerpark Alpha 1.6a1.
    >>Set deerpark as default browser. Yesterday I uninstalled deerpark. Today
    >>I was working in Dreamweaver, f12 to view in browser, and lo and behold,
    >>up comes deerpark (set as default in dreamweaver). My shortcut to
    >>firefox also now points to deerpark.
    >>
    >>Deerpark has an auto-update feature, but I presumed unninstalling the
    >>main program would have uninstalled the updater, or at least disabled
    >>it. There is nothing in add/remove programs relating to the update
    >>feature. In fact there is no entry in add/remove programs now relating
    >>to deerpark, even though it is obviously installed again somehow. All I
    >>can think of is that the update feature stayed enabled, went to work
    >>overnight and installed the latest version.
    >>
    >>I will be querying Mozilla about this, but has anyone else had something
    >>similar happen? And are Mozilla trying to out-Microsoft Microsoft?
    >>

    >Keep in mind you are running alpha software, using deerpark.

    Yup. Tried navigating through Mozilla website to report it, but hopeless.

    Phstpok, Apr 11, 2006
  4. "Phstpok" <> wrote in message news:443b5dc2$...
    > Gordon wrote:
    >
    >>On Tue, 11 Apr 2006 17:08:56 +1200, Phstpok wrote:
    >>

    >>>2 weeks ago I installed a new hard drive and fresh install of XP.
    >>>Installed Firerfox and thought I'd try out Mozilla Deerpark Alpha 1.6a1.
    >>>Set deerpark as default browser. Yesterday I uninstalled deerpark. Today
    >>>I was working in Dreamweaver, f12 to view in browser, and lo and behold,
    >>>up comes deerpark (set as default in dreamweaver). My shortcut to firefox
    >>>also now points to deerpark.
    >>>
    >>>Deerpark has an auto-update feature, but I presumed unninstalling the
    >>>main program would have uninstalled the updater, or at least disabled it.
    >>>There is nothing in add/remove programs relating to the update feature.
    >>>In fact there is no entry in add/remove programs now relating to
    >>>deerpark, even though it is obviously installed again somehow. All I can
    >>>think of is that the update feature stayed enabled, went to work
    >>>overnight and installed the latest version.
    >>>
    >>>I will be querying Mozilla about this, but has anyone else had something
    >>>similar happen? And are Mozilla trying to out-Microsoft Microsoft?
    >>>

    >>Keep in mind you are running alpha software, using deerpark.
    >>

    > Yup. Tried navigating through Mozilla website to report it, but hopeless.

    Tried alt.fan.mozilla for this?
    ShuckItAnShee, Apr 12, 2006
  5. Phstpok

    Phstpok Guest

    ShuckItAnShee wrote:

    >"Phstpok" <> wrote in message news:443b5dc2$...
    >

    >>Gordon wrote:

    >>>Keep in mind you are running alpha software, using deerpark.
    >>>

    >>Yup. Tried navigating through Mozilla website to report it, but hopeless.
    >>

    >Tried alt.fan.mozilla for this?

    I'll have a look, but by the name of the ng, might be barking up the
    wrong tree :)

    Phstpok, Apr 12, 2006
  6. Phstpok

    Ralph Fox Guest

    On Wed, 12 Apr 2006 19:06:06 +1200, in message
     <443ca6e3$>, Phstpok wrote:

    > ShuckItAnShee wrote:
    >
    > >"Phstpok" <> wrote in message news:443b5dc2$...
    > >
    > >>Yup. Tried navigating through Mozilla website to report it, but hopeless.

    > >Tried alt.fan.mozilla for this?

    > I'll have a look, but by the name of the ng, might be barking up the
    > wrong tree :)

    Then you might prefer to try nntp://news.mozilla.org/mozilla.support.firefox
    Ralph Fox, Apr 12, 2006
  7. Phstpok

    Phstpok Guest

    Ralph Fox wrote:

    >On Wed, 12 Apr 2006 19:06:06 +1200, in message
    > <443ca6e3$>, Phstpok wrote:
    >

    >>ShuckItAnShee wrote:

    >>>Tried alt.fan.mozilla for this?
    >>>

    >>I'll have a look, but by the name of the ng, might be barking up the
    >>wrong tree :)
    >>

    >Then you might prefer to try nntp://news.mozilla.org/mozilla.support.firefox

    cheers

    Phstpok, Apr 12, 2006