Firefox (Debian Linux) won't quit

Discussion in 'Firefox' started by ANC, Mar 31, 2006.

  1. ANC

    ANC Guest

    I run Kanotix, which is basically Debian 'Sid'. Firefox runs fine... with
    acrobat, flash, etc. I have no extensions (that I know of.)

    I just don't understand why, when I sometimes close Firefox after running it
    for many hours, it quits the screen... but the process still runs. When I
    start it again I get a pop-up saying I need to resart my system. Of course
    I just do a "ps aux | grep fire" and find the PID and kill it. But I wonder
    how a less-experienced person would handle it? Reboot each time?

    I have the latest version:

    Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686;
    en-US; rv:1.8.0.1)
    Gecko/20060313
    Debian/1.5.dfsg+1.5.0.1-4
    Firefox/1.5.0.1

    Anyone have an idea why FF does not end its own process? I recently upgraded
    hal and udev and dbus but I doubt they have anything to do with it.
    Otherwise, no changes for a long time.

    I can't figure this one out.

    Thanks,
    Al

    ANC, Mar 31, 2006

  2. ANC

    Miller Guest

    *ANC* wrote on 31.03.06 17:50:
    > I run Kanotix, which is basically Debian 'Sid'. Firefox runs fine... with
    > acrobat, flash, etc. I have no extensions (that I know of.)
    >
    > I just don't understand why, when I sometimes close Firefox after running it
    > for many hours, it quits the screen... but the process still runs.

    [..snip..]
    > Anyone have an idea why FF does not end its own process? I recently upgraded
    > hal and udev and dbus but I doubt they have anything to do with it.
    > Otherwise, no changes for a long time.

    I think it doesn't depend on your Linux-Software or recent changes of it.
    I often have the same problem - on a windows xp machine.
    Noticed that this effect increased all of a sudden after i upgraded from
    FF 1.0.7 to FF 1.5.

    bye, Miller

    Miller, Mar 31, 2006

  3. ANC

    gwtc Guest

    ANC wrote:

    > I run Kanotix, which is basically Debian 'Sid'. Firefox runs fine... with
    > acrobat, flash, etc. I have no extensions (that I know of.)
    >
    > I just don't understand why, when I sometimes close Firefox after running it
    > for many hours, it quits the screen... but the process still runs. When I
    > start it again I get a pop-up saying I need to resart my system. Of course
    > I just do a "ps aux | grep fire" and find the PID and kill it. But I wonder
    > how a less-experienced person would handle it? Reboot each time?
    >
    > I have the latest version:
    >
    > Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686;
    > en-US; rv:1.8.0.1)
    > Gecko/20060313
    > Debian/1.5.dfsg+1.5.0.1-4
    > Firefox/1.5.0.1
    >
    > Anyone have an idea why FF does not end its own process? I recently upgraded
    > hal and udev and dbus but I doubt they have anything to do with it.
    > Otherwise, no changes for a long time.
    >
    > I can't figure this one out.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Al

    its a known problem, especially with windows, and right now, there is
    no known solution, because its hard to pin-point exactly whats causing it.

    gwtc, Mar 31, 2006
  4. ANC

    ANC Guest

    gwtc wrote:

    > ANC wrote:
    >
    >> I run Kanotix, which is basically Debian 'Sid'. Firefox runs fine... with
    >> acrobat, flash, etc. I have no extensions (that I know of.)
    >>
    >> I just don't understand why, when I sometimes close Firefox after running
    >> it for many hours, it quits the screen... but the process still runs.
    >> When I start it again I get a pop-up saying I need to resart my system.
    >> Of course I just do a "ps aux | grep fire" and find the PID and kill it.
    >> But I wonder how a less-experienced person would handle it? Reboot each
    >> time?
    >>
    >> I have the latest version:
    >>
    >> Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686;
    >> en-US; rv:1.8.0.1)
    >> Gecko/20060313
    >> Debian/1.5.dfsg+1.5.0.1-4
    >> Firefox/1.5.0.1
    >>
    >> Anyone have an idea why FF does not end its own process? I recently
    >> upgraded hal and udev and dbus but I doubt they have anything to do with
    >> it. Otherwise, no changes for a long time.
    >>
    >> I can't figure this one out.
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >> Al
    >>

    > its a known problem, especially with windows, and right now, there is
    > no known solution, because its hard to pin-point exactly whats causing it.

    Thank you SO much for the info. Do you know where this problem might be
    documented. I'd like to share the info (link) with the Kanotix folks, etc.
    so that others don't keep pulling their hair out on this (and I don't have
    much hair I can spare!!)

    Al

    ANC, Mar 31, 2006
  5. ANC

    gwtc Guest

    ANC wrote:

    > gwtc wrote:
    >

    >>ANC wrote:
    >>

    >>>I run Kanotix, which is basically Debian 'Sid'. Firefox runs fine... with
    >>>acrobat, flash, etc. I have no extensions (that I know of.)
    >>>
    >>>I just don't understand why, when I sometimes close Firefox after running
    >>>it for many hours, it quits the screen... but the process still runs.
    >>>When I start it again I get a pop-up saying I need to resart my system.
    >>>Of course I just do a "ps aux | grep fire" and find the PID and kill it.
    >>>But I wonder how a less-experienced person would handle it? Reboot each
    >>>time?
    >>>
    >>>I have the latest version:
    >>>
    >>>Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686;
    >>>en-US; rv:1.8.0.1)
    >>>Gecko/20060313
    >>>Debian/1.5.dfsg+1.5.0.1-4
    >>>Firefox/1.5.0.1
    >>>
    >>>Anyone have an idea why FF does not end its own process? I recently
    >>>upgraded hal and udev and dbus but I doubt they have anything to do with
    >>>it. Otherwise, no changes for a long time.
    >>>
    >>>I can't figure this one out.
    >>>
    >>>Thanks,
    >>>Al
    >>>

    >>its a known problem, especially with windows, and right now, there is
    >>no known solution, because its hard to pin-point exactly whats causing it.

    > Thank you SO much for the info. Do you know where this problem might be
    > documented. I'd like to share the info (link) with the Kanotix folks, etc.
    > so that others don't keep pulling their hair out on this (and I don't have
    > much hair I can spare!!)
    >
    > Al

    As far as I know its not documented anywhere, but in the FF support
    newsgroups. You might want to look for it here:
    http://www.mozillazine.org/

    The problem is people just don't know what the problem is. I mean,
    some day its because of the way FF is being closed. Others say its
    because of Streaming Media. Others will insist its extensions or
    themes causing the problem. Still others will say something else.

    As you can see, we can't pinpoint what the problem is. For me, I
    don't know what people are talking about. I've never experienced this
    problem. But, lots of others have.

    gwtc, Apr 1, 2006
  6. gwtc wrote:
    > ANC wrote:
    >
    >> gwtc wrote:

    >>> its a known problem, especially with windows, and right now, there is
    >>> no known solution, because its hard to pin-point exactly whats
    >>> causing it.

    >> Thank you SO much for the info. Do you know where this problem might be
    >> documented. I'd like to share the info (link) with the Kanotix folks,
    >> etc.
    >> so that others don't keep pulling their hair out on this (and I don't
    >> have
    >> much hair I can spare!!)
    >>
    >> Al
    >>

    > As far as I know its not documented anywhere, but in the FF support
    > newsgroups. You might want to look for it here:
    > http://www.mozillazine.org/
    >
    > The problem is people just don't know what the problem is. I mean,
    > some day its because of the way FF is being closed. Others say its
    > because of Streaming Media. Others will insist its extensions or
    > themes causing the problem. Still others will say something else.
    >
    > As you can see, we can't pinpoint what the problem is. For me, I
    > don't know what people are talking about. I've never experienced this
    > problem. But, lots of others have.

    Question:
    How are you 'closing' Firefox?
    "Closing" the window is sometimes just that - the Window is closed but
    any other processes that are running are not terminated.
    Use File-->Quit (I believe thats the menu command in Linux) and you
    shouldnt have any problems

    Close is to close the window. In both Linux and Windows, when you close
    the last window, the program should quit as well - but this only holds
    true IF there are no other processes running
    The use of File-->Quit (File-->Exit on windows) will terminate the open
    window (or windows) and all running processes.

    Use that and you should be fine.

    On macs, one is used to using <application name>-->Quit to Quit a
    program. It is readily apparent on macs that closing the window doesnt
    quit the program because the menu (across the top of the desktop) still
    shows the programs menu. On Windows (and Linux?) the menu is within the
    window, so its not as apparent.

    Moz Champion (Dan), Apr 1, 2006
  7. ANC

    ANC Guest

    Moz Champion (Dan) wrote:

    > Close  is to close the window. In both Linux and Windows, when you close
    > the last window, the program should quit as well - but this only holds
    > true IF there are no other processes running
    > The use of File-->Quit  (File-->Exit on windows) will terminate the open
    > window (or windows) and all running processes.
    >
    > Use that and you should be fine.

    I saw this proposal discussed in another thread and I give it a good test
    this week and it MAKES NO DIFFERENCE. I wish you were right but on my Linux
    (Kanotix) system with latest debian package of FF, using file->quit still
    leaves processes running SOMETIMES.

    I left FF running all night and there was no problem this morning.

    It's a puzzlement.

    I think (more like guess) it happens when you go to a website that
    'hangs' (won't load) and even though you click the X to stop it, it keeps a
    process or 'something' going... which is not killed when you quit/close FF.
    Just a guess. It might be Flash, or perhaps it could be a Java applet, or
    perhaps Adobe reader. I have no extentions loaded and only use those
    plugins. The only other thing I can think of would be a bad piece of
    javascript code... but I kind of doubt that JS could keep FF from killing
    off its processes when it closes.

    Al

    ANC, Apr 1, 2006