    it gives info about the crash, but I don't understand all the technical
    mumbo-jumbo. Is there a forum where I can report this crash info and get a
    translation into simple English as to what's going on?

    History Fan, May 10, 2006

  2. History Fan

    History Fan Guest

    "History Fan" <> wrote in message
    news:dca32$4461ee88$48311160$...
    > I'm using Firefox 1.5.0.2, on a XP Home SP2 computer, DSL connection.
    > For the second day in a row, Firefox has crashed on me, forcing a restart.
    > This is unusual for this browser. When the error reporting window pops
    > up, it gives info about the crash, but I don't understand all the
    > technical mumbo-jumbo. Is there a forum where I can report this crash
    > info and get a translation into simple English as to what's going on?

    Oops. I meant FF 1.5.0.3.

    History Fan, May 10, 2006

  3. History Fan wrote:
    > "History Fan" <> wrote in message
    >> I'm using Firefox 1.5.0.2, on a XP Home SP2 computer, DSL connection.
    >> For the second day in a row, Firefox has crashed on me, forcing a restart.
    >> This is unusual for this browser. When the error reporting window pops
    >> up, it gives info about the crash, but I don't understand all the
    >> technical mumbo-jumbo. Is there a forum where I can report this crash
    >> info and get a translation into simple English as to what's going on?
    >>

    > Oops. I meant FF 1.5.0.3.

    Post it here

    Moz Champion (Dan), May 10, 2006
  4. History Fan

    History Fan Guest

    >>> I'm using Firefox 1.5.0.2, on a XP Home SP2 computer, DSL
    >>> connection. For the second day in a row, Firefox has crashed on me,
    >>> forcing a restart. This is unusual for this browser. When the error
    >>> reporting window pops up, it gives info about the crash, but I don't
    >>> understand all the technical mumbo-jumbo. Is there a forum where I can
    >>> what's going on?
    >>>

    >> Oops. I meant FF 1.5.0.3.

    > Post it here

    OK, thanks. This is part of what Dr. Watson reports. Here is the
    info from the 1st crash:

    Application exception occurred:
    App: C:\PROGRA~1\MOZILL~1\FIREFOX.EXE (pid=2996)
    When: 5/9/2006 @ 06:17:36.484
    Exception number: c0000005 (access violation)

    *----> System Information <----*
    Computer Name: DELLPC2400
    User Name: Owner
    Terminal Session Id: 0
    Number of Processors: 1
    Processor Type: x86 Family 15 Model 2 Stepping 9
    Windows Version: 5.1
    Current Build: 2600
    Service Pack: 2
    Current Type: Uniprocessor Free
    Registered Organization:
    Registered Owner: Shafer family

    *----> Task List <----*
    0 System Process
    4 System
    364 smss.exe
    588 csrss.exe
    612 winlogon.exe
    656 services.exe
    668 lsass.exe
    820 svchost.exe
    900 svchost.exe
    992 svchost.exe
    1044 svchost.exe
    1160 svchost.exe
    1472 Explorer.EXE
    1500 spoolsv.exe
    1636 ashDisp.exe
    1644 Weather.exe
    1960 aswUpdSv.exe
    1972 ashServ.exe
    164 svchost.exe
    488 wdfmgr.exe
    1732 ashMaiSv.exe
    1360 ashWebSv.exe
    1296 alg.exe
    2212 wuauclt.exe
    2772 msimn.exe
    2996 FIREFOX.EXE
    3136 dwwin.exe
    3192 drwtsn32.exe

    Here is the info from the 2nd crash:

    Application exception occurred:
    App: C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe (pid=2940)
    When: 5/10/2006 @ 08:09:11.359
[...]

    1176 svchost.exe
    1428 Explorer.EXE
    1548 spoolsv.exe
    1644 ashDisp.exe
    1652 Weather.exe
    1956 aswUpdSv.exe
    1968 ashServ.exe
    356 svchost.exe
    472 wdfmgr.exe
    1728 ashMaiSv.exe
    1768 ashWebSv.exe
    2216 alg.exe
    2576 msimn.exe
    2940 firefox.exe
    3528 dwwin.exe
    3572 drwtsn32.exe

    History Fan, May 10, 2006
  5. History Fan

    gwtc Guest

    History Fan wrote:

    >>> Oops. I meant FF 1.5.0.3.

    >>Post it here

    > OK, thanks. This is part of what Dr. Watson reports. Here is the
    > info from the 1st crash:

    just because FF crashes doesn't mean its a Firefox problem. Windows
    doesn't play well with other non-MS programs. It fights with them and
    bullys them around. Then it will crash those programs. But, instead
    of taking the blame for the problem, it has the audacity to put the
    blame onto the other program.

    --
    Things I learned from my Mother
    Tip #4: My mother taught me about LOGIC.

    gwtc, May 10, 2006
  6. History Fan wrote:

    >>> Oops. I meant FF 1.5.0.3.

    >> Post it here

    > OK, thanks. This is part of what Dr. Watson reports. Here is the
    > info from the 1st crash:
    >
    > Application exception occurred:
    > App: C:\PROGRA~1\MOZILL~1\FIREFOX.EXE (pid=2996)
    > When: 5/9/2006 @ 06:17:36.484
    > Exception number: c0000005 (access violation)
    >
    > *----> System Information <----*
    > Computer Name: DELLPC2400
    > User Name: Owner
    > Terminal Session Id: 0
    > Number of Processors: 1
    > Processor Type: x86 Family 15 Model 2 Stepping 9
    > Windows Version: 5.1
    > Current Build: 2600
    > Service Pack: 2
    > Current Type: Uniprocessor Free
    > Registered Organization:
    > Registered Owner: Shafer family
    >
    > *----> Task List <----*
    > 0 System Process
    > 4 System
    > 364 smss.exe
    > 588 csrss.exe
    > 612 winlogon.exe
    > 656 services.exe
    > 668 lsass.exe
    > 820 svchost.exe
    > 900 svchost.exe
    > 992 svchost.exe
    > 1044 svchost.exe
    > 1160 svchost.exe
    > 1472 Explorer.EXE
    > 1500 spoolsv.exe
    > 1636 ashDisp.exe
    > 1644 Weather.exe
    > 1960 aswUpdSv.exe
    > 1972 ashServ.exe
    > 164 svchost.exe
    > 488 wdfmgr.exe
    > 1732 ashMaiSv.exe
    > 1360 ashWebSv.exe
    > 1296 alg.exe
    > 2212 wuauclt.exe
    > 2772 msimn.exe
    > 2996 FIREFOX.EXE
    > 3136 dwwin.exe
    > 3192 drwtsn32.exe
    >
    > Here is the info from the 2nd crash:
    >
    > Application exception occurred:
    > App: C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe (pid=2940)
    > When: 5/10/2006 @ 08:09:11.359
    > Exception number: c0000005 (access violation)
    >
    > *----> System Information <----*
    > Computer Name: DELLPC2400
    > User Name: Owner
    > Terminal Session Id: 0
    > Number of Processors: 1
    > Processor Type: x86 Family 15 Model 2 Stepping 9
> [...]

    If you dont understand what Dr Watson is telling you, what are you using
    it for? <g>

    Anyway, its pretty basic

    The first segment; tells you what program crashed, and when, and the
    system identified error

    The second segment; tells you what your system has

    The third segment; tells you what programs and processes were running at
    the time of the problem

    The key issue here is error c0000005 (access violation)
    its a buffer overrun error
    > http://blogs.msdn.com/calvin_hsia/archive/2004/06/30/170344.aspx

    I suggest that you google c0000005 and take a look at the various sites
    that offer information regarding this error.

    Moz Champion (Dan), May 10, 2006
  7. Once Upon A Time History Fan wrote:

    >"History Fan" <> wrote in message
    >> I'm using Firefox 1.5.0.2, on a XP Home SP2 computer, DSL connection.
    >> For the second day in a row, Firefox has crashed on me, forcing a restart.
    >> This is unusual for this browser. When the error reporting window pops
    >> up, it gives info about the crash, but I don't understand all the
    >> technical mumbo-jumbo. Is there a forum where I can report this crash
    >> info and get a translation into simple English as to what's going on?
    >>

    > Oops. I meant FF 1.5.0.3.

    Firefox 1.5.0.3 has been crashing on both of my computers. I really
    don't care why, I just uninstalled both and re-installed 1.5.0.2. Then
    I shut off auto-update.

    Somebody wake me when they fix the damned thing with 1.5.0.4. Thanks.

    **
    Captain Infinity

    Captain Infinity, May 11, 2006
  8. Captain Infinity wrote:
    > Once Upon A Time History Fan wrote:
    >
    >> "History Fan" <> wrote in message
    >>> I'm using Firefox 1.5.0.2, on a XP Home SP2 computer, DSL connection.
    >>> For the second day in a row, Firefox has crashed on me, forcing a restart.
    >>> This is unusual for this browser. When the error reporting window pops
    >>> up, it gives info about the crash, but I don't understand all the
    >>> technical mumbo-jumbo. Is there a forum where I can report this crash
    >>> info and get a translation into simple English as to what's going on?
    >>>

    >> Oops. I meant FF 1.5.0.3.

    > Firefox 1.5.0.3 has been crashing on both of my computers. I really
    > don't care why, I just uninstalled both and re-installed 1.5.0.2. Then
    > I shut off auto-update.
    >
    > Somebody wake me when they fix the damned thing with 1.5.0.4. Thanks.
    >

    > **
    > Captain Infinity

    Okay, if you dont care why, then you dont need any help.

    Moz Champion (Dan), May 11, 2006
  9. Once Upon A Time Moz Champion (Dan) wrote:

    >Captain Infinity wrote:
    >> Once Upon A Time History Fan wrote:
    >>
    >>> "History Fan" <> wrote in message
    >>>>

    >>> Oops. I meant FF 1.5.0.3.

    >> Firefox 1.5.0.3 has been crashing on both of my computers. I really
    >> don't care why, I just uninstalled both and re-installed 1.5.0.2. Then
    >> I shut off auto-update.
    >>
    >> Somebody wake me when they fix the damned thing with 1.5.0.4. Thanks.
    >>

    >> **
    >> Captain Infinity

    >Okay, if you dont care why, then you dont need any help.

    Nope, thanks, I'm all set. 1.5.0.2 works just fine.

    **
    Captain Infinity

    Captain Infinity, May 11, 2006
  10. Captain Infinity wrote:
    > Once Upon A Time Moz Champion (Dan) wrote:
    >
    >> Captain Infinity wrote:

    >>> Firefox 1.5.0.3 has been crashing on both of my computers. I really
    >>> don't care why, I just uninstalled both and re-installed 1.5.0.2. Then
    >>> I shut off auto-update.
    >>>
    >>> Somebody wake me when they fix the damned thing with 1.5.0.4. Thanks.
    >>>

    >>> **
    >>> Captain Infinity

    >> Okay, if you dont care why, then you dont need any help.

    > Nope, thanks, I'm all set. 1.5.0.2 works just fine.
    >

    > **
    > Captain Infinity

    Fine, if you dont mind leaving yourself open for the security hole
    1.5.0.3 fixed, go right ahead.

    Moz Champion (Dan), May 11, 2006
  11. Once Upon A Time Moz Champion (Dan) wrote:

    >Captain Infinity wrote:

    >>> Okay, if you dont care why, then you dont need any help.

    >> Nope, thanks, I'm all set. 1.5.0.2 works just fine.
    >>

    >> **
    >> Captain Infinity

    >Fine, if you dont mind leaving yourself open for the security hole
    >1.5.0.3 fixed, go right ahead.

    As a matter of fact, I don't mind. It is highly unlikely that I will
    ever encounter any site that attempts to take advantage of the security
    hole. On the other hand, 1.5.0.3 is a piece of software that crashes
    regularly on *both* of my computers. And I'm not alone. It's a broken
    program. It needs to be fixed. I will gladly download the update once
    that happens, which probably won't take very long.

    But thank you for your concern for my safety. You're a true friend.

    **
    Captain Infinity

    Captain Infinity, May 11, 2006
  12. Captain Infinity wrote:
    > Once Upon A Time Moz Champion (Dan) wrote:
    >
    >> Captain Infinity wrote:

    >>> Nope, thanks, I'm all set. 1.5.0.2 works just fine.
    >>>

    >>> **
    >>> Captain Infinity

    >> Fine, if you dont mind leaving yourself open for the security hole
    >> 1.5.0.3 fixed, go right ahead.

    > As a matter of fact, I don't mind. It is highly unlikely that I will
    > ever encounter any site that attempts to take advantage of the security
    > hole. On the other hand, 1.5.0.3 is a piece of software that crashes
    > regularly on *both* of my computers. And I'm not alone. It's a broken
    > program. It needs to be fixed. I will gladly download the update once
    > that happens, which probably won't take very long.
    >
    > But thank you for your concern for my safety. You're a true friend.
    >

    > **
    > Captain Infinity

    Millions of other users dont have the same problem as you, but I suppose
    they are simply luckier than you I guess. You are almost unique in that.
    Have to watch out for people such as you, because they are so rare.

    Moz Champion (Dan), May 11, 2006
  13. History Fan

    Guest

    I have the same problem in 5 different PC, each one have different
    soft, configuration and location. After the 1.5.0.3 update, all of them
    are with the same symptoms. Slow web navigation and crashes opening
    pages. This is the worst update I have seen from Firefox.

    Moz Champion (Dan) ha escrito:

    > Captain Infinity wrote:

    > >> Fine, if you dont mind leaving yourself open for the security hole
    > >> 1.5.0.3 fixed, go right ahead.

    > > As a matter of fact, I don't mind. It is highly unlikely that I will
    > > ever encounter any site that attempts to take advantage of the security
    > > hole. On the other hand, 1.5.0.3 is a piece of software that crashes
    > > regularly on *both* of my computers. And I'm not alone. It's a broken
    > > program. It needs to be fixed. I will gladly download the update once
    > > that happens, which probably won't take very long.
    > >
    > > But thank you for your concern for my safety. You're a true friend.
    > >

    > > **
    > > Captain Infinity

    > Millions of other users dont have the same problem as you, but I suppose
    > they are simply luckier than you I guess. You are almost unique in that.
    > Have to watch out for people such as you, because they are so rare.

    , May 11, 2006
  14. "History Fan" <> said in

    >>> Oops. I meant FF 1.5.0.3.

    >> Post it here

    > OK, thanks. This is part of what Dr. Watson
    > reports. Here is the
    > info from the 1st crash:
    >
    > Application exception occurred:
    > App: C:\PROGRA~1\MOZILL~1\FIREFOX.EXE (pid=2996)
    > When: 5/9/2006 @ 06:17:36.484
    > Exception number: c0000005 (access violation)
    >
    > *----> System Information <----*
    > Computer Name: DELLPC2400
    > User Name: Owner
    > Terminal Session Id: 0
    > Number of Processors: 1
    > Processor Type: x86 Family 15 Model 2 Stepping 9
    > Windows Version: 5.1
    > Current Build: 2600
    > Service Pack: 2
    > Current Type: Uniprocessor Free
    > Registered Organization:
    > Registered Owner: Shafer family
    >
    > *----> Task List <----*
    > 0 System Process
    > 4 System
    > 364 smss.exe
    > 588 csrss.exe
    > 612 winlogon.exe
    > 656 services.exe
    > 668 lsass.exe
    > 820 svchost.exe
    > 900 svchost.exe
    > 992 svchost.exe
    > 1044 svchost.exe
    > 1160 svchost.exe
    > 1472 Explorer.EXE
    > 1500 spoolsv.exe
    > 1636 ashDisp.exe
    > 1644 Weather.exe
    > 1960 aswUpdSv.exe
    > 1972 ashServ.exe
    > 164 svchost.exe
    > 488 wdfmgr.exe
    > 1732 ashMaiSv.exe
    > 1360 ashWebSv.exe
    > 1296 alg.exe
    > 2212 wuauclt.exe
    > 2772 msimn.exe
    > 2996 FIREFOX.EXE
    > 3136 dwwin.exe
    > 3192 drwtsn32.exe
    >
    > Here is the info from the 2nd crash:
    >
    > Application exception occurred:
    > App: C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe
    > (pid=2940) When: 5/10/2006 @ 08:09:11.359
    > Exception number: c0000005 (access violation)
    >
    > *----> System Information <----*
    > Computer Name: DELLPC2400
    > User Name: Owner
    > Terminal Session Id: 0
    > Number of Processors: 1
    > Processor Type: x86 Family 15 Model 2 Stepping 9
> [...]

    What was the error FF reported - i.e. did you see anything that said XPCOM? Since
    you're relying on Avast and XP's Firewall for protection that may be part of the problem.
    You might consider setting alg.exe to manual (unless you need ICS), turn off windoze
    firewall, and install something like Tiny Personal Firewall. You also have several things
    set to auto-update. May I suggest you set some of these to manual? Just my 2ยข.

    Whatevernevermind, May 11, 2006
  15. wrote:
    > I have the same problem in 5 different PC, each one have different
    > soft, configuration and location. After the 1.5.0.3 update, all of them
    > are with the same symptoms. Slow web navigation and crashes opening
    > pages. This is the worst update I have seen from Firefox.
    >
    > Moz Champion (Dan) ha escrito:
    >
    >> Captain Infinity wrote:

    >>> As a matter of fact, I don't mind. It is highly unlikely that I will
    >>> ever encounter any site that attempts to take advantage of the security
    >>> hole. On the other hand, 1.5.0.3 is a piece of software that crashes
    >>> regularly on *both* of my computers. And I'm not alone. It's a broken
    >>> program. It needs to be fixed. I will gladly download the update once
    >>> that happens, which probably won't take very long.
    >>>
    >>> But thank you for your concern for my safety. You're a true friend.
    >>>

    >>> **
    >>> Captain Infinity

    >> Millions of other users dont have the same problem as you, but I suppose
    >> they are simply luckier than you I guess. You are almost unique in that.
    >> Have to watch out for people such as you, because they are so rare.

    Please bottom post thanks

    'Same problem'?
    Captain Infinity reports his 1.5.0.3 crashing, and you report slow web
    navigation and crashing (on some pages), doesnt sound like the same
    problem to me. Same outcome perhaps, but not the same problem.

    Why dont you report the problems and see if you can get help in fixing
    them? You might learn something valuable.

    Besides - TWO out of an estimated 50 million users or so - hardly basis
    for any relevent analysis of the program.

    Facts: Captain Infinity has 2 computers that didnt react well to the
    1.5.0.3 upgrade - you have 5. In CI's case 'he' has his setup(s), and
    you have yours - doesnt that indicate something to you? That perhaps,
    since most of the other MILLIONS of users DONT report the same problem,
    that it MIGHT have something to do with your setups? Good golly, miss
    molly - why dont you two compare notes on your setups to see if there is
    some common denominator that is contributing to the situation that you
    two are facing - unlike millions of others who report no problems with
    the 1.5.0.3 upgrade?

    Moz Champion (Dan), May 12, 2006
  16. History Fan

    Larry Guest

    My 1.5.0.3 has crashed twice since I've updated. I've never before had
    FF crash on my computer. Next time it happens I'll be glad to publish
    the error message.

    Larry

    Larry, May 12, 2006
  17. Once Upon A Time Moz Champion (Dan) wrote:

    >Facts: Captain Infinity has 2 computers that didnt react well to the
    >1.5.0.3 upgrade - you have 5. In CI's case 'he' has his setup(s), and
    >you have yours - doesnt that indicate something to you? That perhaps,
    >since most of the other MILLIONS of users DONT report the same problem,
    >that it MIGHT have something to do with your setups? Good golly, miss
    >molly - why dont you two compare notes on your setups to see if there is
    >some common denominator that is contributing to the situation that you
    >two are facing - unlike millions of others who report no problems with
    >the 1.5.0.3 upgrade?

    Investigating the problem, looking for causes, comparing notes...none of
    it is worth my time. I found a solution. I went back to 1.5.0.2. It
    works just fine and I'm happy with it. Problem solved.

    I'll try 1.5.0.4 when it comes out. I have no need for 1.5.0.3.

    **
    Captain Infinity

    Captain Infinity, May 12, 2006
  18. Larry wrote:
    > My 1.5.0.3 has crashed twice since I've updated. I've never before had
    > FF crash on my computer. Next time it happens I'll be glad to publish
    > the error message.
    >
    > Larry
    >

    > Moz Champion (Dan) wrote:
    >> wrote:
    >>> I have the same problem in 5 different PC, each one have different
    >>> soft, configuration and location. After the 1.5.0.3 update, all of them
    >>> are with the same symptoms. Slow web navigation and crashes opening
    >>> pages. This is the worst update I have seen from Firefox.
    >>>
    >>> Moz Champion (Dan) ha escrito:

    >> Please bottom post thanks
    >>
    >> 'Same problem'?
    >> Captain Infinity reports his 1.5.0.3 crashing, and you report slow web
    >> navigation and crashing (on some pages), doesnt sound like the same
    >> problem to me. Same outcome perhaps, but not the same problem.
    >>
    >> Why dont you report the problems and see if you can get help in fixing
    >> them? You might learn something valuable.
    >>
    >> Besides - TWO out of an estimated 50 million users or so - hardly
    >> basis for any relevent analysis of the program.
    >>
    >> Facts: Captain Infinity has 2 computers that didnt react well to the
    >> 1.5.0.3 upgrade - you have 5. In CI's case 'he' has his setup(s), and
    >> you have yours - doesnt that indicate something to you? That perhaps,
    >> since most of the other MILLIONS of users DONT report the same
    >> problem, that it MIGHT have something to do with your setups? Good
    >> golly, miss molly - why dont you two compare notes on your setups to
    >> see if there is some common denominator that is contributing to the
    >> situation that you two are facing - unlike millions of others who
    >> report no problems with the 1.5.0.3 upgrade?

    Please bottom post

    Crashing twice since update is rather 'different' than either of the
    other two problems expressed here. Depends a lot on how long you have
    been running, and a myriad of other factors. It also depends on exactly
    WHAT you (or the program) was doing at the time of the crash!

    One person reports crashing all the time, another reports crashes on
    certain sites, another reports two crashes. The only commonality is the
    word 'crash'. All these problem should be dealt with individually.

    Moz Champion (Dan), May 12, 2006
  19. Captain Infinity wrote:
    > Once Upon A Time Moz Champion (Dan) wrote:
    >
    >> Facts: Captain Infinity has 2 computers that didnt react well to the
    >> 1.5.0.3 upgrade - you have 5. In CI's case 'he' has his setup(s), and
    >> you have yours - doesnt that indicate something to you? That perhaps,
    >> since most of the other MILLIONS of users DONT report the same problem,
    >> that it MIGHT have something to do with your setups? Good golly, miss
    >> molly - why dont you two compare notes on your setups to see if there is
    >> some common denominator that is contributing to the situation that you
    >> two are facing - unlike millions of others who report no problems with
    >> the 1.5.0.3 upgrade?

    > Investigating the problem, looking for causes, comparing notes...none of
    > it is worth my time. I found a solution. I went back to 1.5.0.2. It
    > works just fine and I'm happy with it. Problem solved.
    >
    > I'll try 1.5.0.4 when it comes out. I have no need for 1.5.0.3.
    >

    > **
    > Captain Infinity

    I suppose your 'solution' to crashing on Windows XP is to go back to
    DOS? <g>

    If resolving your problem isnt worth your time and effort, then it isnt
    worth mine either, so why bring it up <g>

    Moz Champion (Dan), May 12, 2006
  20. Once Upon A Time Moz Champion (Dan) wrote:

    >If resolving your problem isnt worth your time and effort,

    I did resolve my problem. My system is working fine, as I have stated
    several times.

    >then it isnt worth mine either,

    Then why do you keep picking at it?

    >so why bring it up <g>

    I brought it up in response to another poster who was having the same
    problem. I wanted to share my solution with him.

    The topic has only been kept alive by others who think they know better
    and are, it seems, threatened by my solution and my satisfaction with
    1.5.0.2.

    **
    Captain Infinity

    Captain Infinity, May 12, 2006