    Any suggestions about a cause and possible cure? Its so damned random,
    its maddening.

    HPH
    HellPope Huey, Oct 4, 2005

  2. HellPope Huey

    Ed Mullen Guest

    HellPope Huey wrote:

    > I am using 1.0.7 and this is really dampening my appreciation for an
    > otherwise good app. Why the heck would it just lock up randomly when
    > asked to do this simple thing: show jpgs? Its begun to do it more than
    > Internet Explorer, which is a huge condemnation of it, heh. I took it up
    > to get AWAY from that wretched thing. Things I patronize such as art
    > sites, ebay and music catalogs have many frames, so its a chronic issue
    > with no seeming repeatable trigger, just BOOM.
    >
    > Any suggestions about a cause and possible cure? Its so damned random,
    > its maddening.
    >
    > HPH

    "Its begun to do it more than ..." IE? So, both apps are doing it?
    That's what your prose indicates. If so, you've got a system problem of
    some sort.

    FF 1.0.7 and Mozilla 1.7.12 do not have this issue on my system(s) using
    Win XP Home and Pro. I am online at least 12 hours a day and have never
    had FF or Moz "lock up" as you describe. However, I do not ever use
    Ebay so I'll leave it to others to comment on that.

    Please provide example URLs where the problem occurs.

    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net
    Ed Mullen, Oct 4, 2005

  3. HellPope Huey

    Old Gringo Guest

    On Tue, 04 Oct 2005 02:42:22 GMT, Without Any Hesitation HellPope
    Huey wrote:

    > I am using 1.0.7 and this is really dampening my appreciation for an
    > otherwise good app. Why the heck would it just lock up randomly when
    > asked to do this simple thing: show jpgs? Its begun to do it more than
    > Internet Explorer, which is a huge condemnation of it, heh. I took it up
    > to get AWAY from that wretched thing. Things I patronize such as art
    > sites, ebay and music catalogs have many frames, so its a chronic issue
    > with no seeming repeatable trigger, just BOOM.
    >
    > Any suggestions about a cause and possible cure? Its so damned random,
    > its maddening.
    >
    > HPH

    I have found that with no Extensions or Themes, FireFox seems to be
    quite ok. Some of the extensions can cause problems. You may try
    starting FireFox in safe mode and see it that changes anything. Then
    check any extensions concerning imaging. Also check Options to see
    if you have the correct settings for sites to set images. Uncheck
    for the originating website only. Good Luck.
    --
    Old Gringo
    The Future Is Not What It Use To Be
    Old Gringo, Oct 4, 2005
  4. HellPope Huey

    gwtc Guest

    HellPope Huey wrote:

    > I am using 1.0.7 and this is really dampening my appreciation for an
    > otherwise good app. Why the heck would it just lock up randomly when
    > asked to do this simple thing: show jpgs? Its begun to do it more than
    > Internet Explorer, which is a huge condemnation of it, heh. I took it up
    > to get AWAY from that wretched thing. Things I patronize such as art
    > sites, ebay and music catalogs have many frames, so its a chronic issue
    > with no seeming repeatable trigger, just BOOM.
    >
    > Any suggestions about a cause and possible cure? Its so damned random,
    > its maddening.
    >
    > HPH

    Guy talking to his mechanic: "I'm hearing a strange noise in my motor.
    What is it?"
    gwtc, Oct 4, 2005
  5. Ed Mullen wrote:
    > HellPope Huey wrote:
    > >>

    >> I am using 1.0.7 and this is really dampening my appreciation for an
    >> otherwise good app. Why the heck would it just lock up randomly when
    >> asked to do this simple thing: show jpgs? Its begun to do it more than
    >> Internet Explorer, which is a huge condemnation of it, heh. I took it
    >> up to get AWAY from that wretched thing. Things I patronize such as
    >> art sites, ebay and music catalogs have many frames, so its a chronic
    >> issue with no seeming repeatable trigger, just BOOM.

    > "Its begun to do it more than ..." IE? So, both apps are doing it?
    > That's what your prose indicates. If so, you've got a system problem of
    > some sort.

    That was my first thought, but I did the usual housekeeping, sector
    checks and the like and no problem. Everything else runs like a champ.
    It ONLY happens after a few minutes on sites that have several pages of
    graphics to scroll through. One clue is that it says its having trouble
    with FlashPlayer scripts from time to time ("... which may cause your
    computer to become unresponsive"), allowing me the option of halting the
    running of the script. I say yes & things roll fine after that as a
    rule, although on a few sites like ebay, it will finally crash. I'm
    vague on how to select or filter scripts, if that's even possible with
    something as omnipresent as Flash. That would make many places
    inaccessible.

    > FF 1.0.7 and Mozilla 1.7.12 do not have this issue on my system(s) using
    > Win XP Home and Pro. I am online at least 12 hours a day and have never
    > had FF or Moz "lock up" as you describe. However, I do not ever use
    > Ebay so I'll leave it to others to comment on that.

    I use Mac OS X 10.2 with good performance overall. The intermittent
    aspect is what's been getting to me, as it does with anything that
    doesn't just stop cold or at least emit smoke for real at some point. I
    know its a rather vague complaint, but the BEHAVIOR of the crashes isn't
    the repeatable result of a regular activity or it would be more
    defineable.

    > Please provide example URLs where the problem occurs.

    Ebay is one; http://artist-3d.com/ was another, where there is some
    great surreal wallpaper to be found. (There is also a site I am leaving
    out because its the home of a pro graphic artist and musician whom I
    don't want to see pelted too much, heh; he has 5 or 6 icons that take
    you to further pages of cartoons and MP3s.) It simply froze at one point
    with no warning box first. I reinstantiated FF and it kept rolling with
    no further incidents. Odd.

    I think Old Gringo makes a point worth pursuing, about Extensions and
    Themes. I'll delve into that and see if the issue improves. Things with
    few or no major graphics never crap out, so that's at least one clue.

    Thanks for the input.

    --

    HellPope Huey
    One day I will suss

    “Contrariwise,” continued Tweedledee,
    “if it was so, it might be;
    and if it were so, it would be;
    but as it isn’t, it ain’t.
    That's logic.”
    ~ "Lewis Carroll", Charles Dodgson

    "Well lads, that's Africa for you.
    One dead man, two dead beasts
    and no one the better for it."
    ~ "Trader Horn"
    HellPope Huey, Oct 5, 2005
  6. HellPope Huey

    Ed Mullen Guest

    HellPope Huey wrote:
    > Ed Mullen wrote:
    >
    >> HellPope Huey wrote:
    >> >>

    >>> I am using 1.0.7 and this is really dampening my appreciation for an
    >>> otherwise good app. Why the heck would it just lock up randomly when
    >>> asked to do this simple thing: show jpgs? Its begun to do it more
    >>> than Internet Explorer, which is a huge condemnation of it, heh. I
    >>> took it up to get AWAY from that wretched thing. Things I patronize
    >>> such as art sites, ebay and music catalogs have many frames, so its a
    >>> chronic issue with no seeming repeatable trigger, just BOOM.

    >> "Its begun to do it more than ..." IE? So, both apps are doing it?
    >> That's what your prose indicates. If so, you've got a system problem
    >> of some sort.

    > That was my first thought, but I did the usual housekeeping, sector
    > checks and the like and no problem. Everything else runs like a champ.
    > It ONLY happens after a few minutes on sites that have several pages of
    > graphics to scroll through. One clue is that it says its having trouble
    > with FlashPlayer scripts from time to time ("... which may cause your
    > computer to become unresponsive"), allowing me the option of halting the
    > running of the script. I say yes & things roll fine after that as a
    > rule, although on a few sites like ebay, it will finally crash. I'm
    > vague on how to select or filter scripts, if that's even possible with
    > something as omnipresent as Flash. That would make many places
    > inaccessible.

    Might try updating the Flash plugin/player.

    >> FF 1.0.7 and Mozilla 1.7.12 do not have this issue on my system(s)
    >> using Win XP Home and Pro. I am online at least 12 hours a day and
    >> have never had FF or Moz "lock up" as you describe. However, I do not
    >> ever use Ebay so I'll leave it to others to comment on that.

    > I use Mac OS X 10.2 with good performance overall. The intermittent
    > aspect is what's been getting to me, as it does with anything that
    > doesn't just stop cold or at least emit smoke for real at some point. I
    > know its a rather vague complaint, but the BEHAVIOR of the crashes isn't
    > the repeatable result of a regular activity or it would be more defineable.
    >
    >> Please provide example URLs where the problem occurs.

    > Ebay is one; http://artist-3d.com/ was another, where there is some
    > great surreal wallpaper to be found. (There is also a site I am leaving
    > out because its the home of a pro graphic artist and musician whom I
    > don't want to see pelted too much, heh; he has 5 or 6 icons that take
    > you to further pages of cartoons and MP3s.) It simply froze at one point
    > with no warning box first. I reinstantiated FF and it kept rolling with
    > no further incidents. Odd.

    That site worked fine for me in Moz and FF. It does have an embedded
    Flash object and that may be what your installation is choking on.

    > I think Old Gringo makes a point worth pursuing, about Extensions and
    > Themes. I'll delve into that and see if the issue improves. Things with
    > few or no major graphics never crap out, so that's at least one clue.
    >
    > Thanks for the input.

    Good advice to try disabling extensions. Also, you can temporarily move
    the Flash plugin from the plugins folder to disable it.

    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net
    Ed Mullen, Oct 5, 2005
  7. HellPope Huey

    Cold Coffee Guest

    On Tue, 04 Oct 2005 02:42:22 GMT, HellPope Huey wrote:

    > I am using 1.0.7 and this is really dampening my appreciation for an
    > otherwise good app. Why the heck would it just lock up randomly when
    > asked to do this simple thing: show jpgs?

    As a dissenting data point, I am running FF 1.0.7 under XP and do not have
    this problem. Since installing the StumbleUpon extension, I have browsed
    perhaps 400 "random" websites, many with numerous JPGs (since Photography
    is one of my SU interests). No lockups here.

    (posted to demonstrate that you shouldn't necessarily bail out just yet)

    --
    cc

    Cold Coffee, Oct 11, 2005