Firefox crashing computer...

Discussion in 'Firefox' started by Carmen Gauvin-O'Donnell, Apr 1, 2006.

  1. Hi everyone!

    It broke my heart to do it, but I had to uninstall FF today, and maybe you
    can all help me resolve the problem...

    The fact is FF is freezing my computer. This started a few weeks ago, and
    got to the point where I reformatted my hard drive, thinking it might be a
    Windows problem. Everything was working fine till after I reinstalled FF
    1.0.5. Then things started freezing again, only when FF was on.

    So I took it off. No problem.

    The I installed the new FF 1.5. Great... till it started again, this time
    not even when it was running, just in virtue of the fact I had installed
    it..

    I've now removed it, and nothing has happended since. BOOHOO, since I love
    FF and would much rather use it than IE. I really miss those tabs!!! :)

    Does anyone have the first clue why it could be doing this? Is it something
    that has come up for others? FYI, I'm running a Pentium 4 @ 3 GHz with 1.5
    gigs RAM and Windows XP Home SP2

    Thanks in advance for any hints!

    Carmen
    Carmen Gauvin-O'Donnell, Apr 1, 2006

  2. Carmen Gauvin-O'Donnell

    Lee Guest

    Carmen Gauvin-O'Donnell wrote:

    Hi Carmen

    Why not switch over to Mozilla suite? I had problems with it myself and
    was about to quit when someone suggested Mozilla and I tried it and
    liked it and have had no problems over the lastg 6 or 7 months I have
    been using it.

    L E E
    Lee, Apr 1, 2006

  3. Carmen Gauvin-O'Donnell

    mike555 Guest

    === did you delete your profile , before reinstalling Firefox?
    sometimes they get messed up, and stay even if you uninstall Firefox
    ========
    mike555, Apr 2, 2006
  4. "mike555" <> wrote in message
    > === did you delete your profile , before reinstalling Firefox?
    > sometimes they get messed up, and stay even if you uninstall Firefox
    > ========

    Mike555 -

    I am experiencing the same problems as the original poster. Where is the
    profile stored so that I can hopefully resolve my crashes.

    Thanks,
    Matt
    Matthew Plummer, Apr 2, 2006
  5. Carmen Gauvin-O'Donnell

    mike555 Guest

    === the profile is in your user folder, in XP it's....
    C:\Documents and Settings\user\Application Data\Mozilla (you may
    need to replace "user" with your user name) (also you may need to turn
    on "show hidden folders).............
    before you do that though you might try starting Firefox in safe mode
    and click on the options to repair (if you have those options)........

    otherwise uninstall Firefox , then delete your user profile ,
    restart your computer and reinstall Firefox........ you will need to
    reinstall your extensions, I suggest doing so one or two at a time,
    restarting Firefox ,making sure it works ok, then install a couple more
    ( extensions or themes are probably the problem )=======
    mike555, Apr 2, 2006
  6. Carmen Gauvin-O'Donnell

    Z Guest

    mike555 wrote:
    >otherwise uninstall Firefox , then delete your user profile ,

    then delete the Mozilla Firefox folder from Program Files,

    Z, Apr 2, 2006