    patches since then.
    --
    To reply by email remove "_nospam"
    Chuck, Feb 14, 2006

  2. Chuck wrote:
    > Windows XP SP2.
    >
    > About 50% of the time when I close FF I get the following error
    > "FIREFOX.EXE has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry
    > for the inconvenience."
    >
    > Error Signature
    > AppName: firefox.exe
    > AppVer: 1.8.20060.11112
    > ModName: unknown
    > ModVer: 0.0.0.0
    > Offset: 014bee7f
    >
    > This started maybe a month or two ago. Before I upgraded to 1.5.0.1. Any
    > ideas what causes this. I think I've upgraded Java and applied MS
    > patches since then.

    As an experiment, try closing FF for awhile via File>>Close, rather then
    using the closebox on the right. Does this have any effect?

    Lee
    Leonidas Jones, Feb 14, 2006

  3. Chuck

    Jim Guest

    I used to see this with versions 1.0.x., but have not seen
    it with 1.5.x.

    Jim

    Jim, Feb 15, 2006
  4. Chuck

    Chuck Guest

    Leonidas Jones wrote:
    > Chuck wrote:
    >> Windows XP SP2.
    >>
    >> About 50% of the time when I close FF I get the following error
    >> "FIREFOX.EXE has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry
    >> for the inconvenience."
    >>
    >> Error Signature
    >> AppName: firefox.exe
    >> AppVer: 1.8.20060.11112
    >> ModName: unknown
    >> ModVer: 0.0.0.0
    >> Offset: 014bee7f
    >>
    >> This started maybe a month or two ago. Before I upgraded to 1.5.0.1. Any
    >> ideas what causes this. I think I've upgraded Java and applied MS
    >> patches since then.

    > As an experiment, try closing FF for awhile via File>>Close, rather then
    > using the closebox on the right. Does this have any effect?
    >
    > Lee

    Same problem using file/exit. I've even tried completely uninstalling
    and reinstalling FF. It still happens.

    --
    To reply by email remove "_nospam"
    Chuck, Feb 15, 2006
  5. Chuck wrote:
    > Leonidas Jones wrote:
    >> Chuck wrote:
    >>> Windows XP SP2.
    >>>
    >>> About 50% of the time when I close FF I get the following error
    >>> "FIREFOX.EXE has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry
    >>> for the inconvenience."
    >>>
    >>> Error Signature
    >>> AppName: firefox.exe
    >>> AppVer: 1.8.20060.11112
    >>> ModName: unknown
    >>> ModVer: 0.0.0.0
    >>> Offset: 014bee7f
    >>>
    >>> This started maybe a month or two ago. Before I upgraded to 1.5.0.1. Any
    >>> ideas what causes this. I think I've upgraded Java and applied MS
    >>> patches since then.

    >> As an experiment, try closing FF for awhile via File>>Close, rather then
    >> using the closebox on the right. Does this have any effect?
    >>
    >> Lee

    > Same problem using file/exit. I've even tried completely uninstalling
    > and reinstalling FF. It still happens.

    Try opening in Safe Mode:

    Start>>Programs>>Mozilla Firefox (or Thunderbird)>>Mozilla
    Firefox/Thunderbird (Safe Mode)

    Can you browse and then exit cleanly?

    Does this happen every time you close FF, or are there specific
    circumstances involved?

    Lee
    Leonidas Jones, Feb 16, 2006
  6. Chuck

    Chuck Guest

    Leonidas Jones wrote:
    > Chuck wrote:

    >>> As an experiment, try closing FF for awhile via File>>Close, rather then
    >>> using the closebox on the right. Does this have any effect?
    >>>
    >>> Lee

    >> Same problem using file/exit. I've even tried completely uninstalling
    >> and reinstalling FF. It still happens.
    >>

    > Try opening in Safe Mode:
    >
    > Start>>Programs>>Mozilla Firefox (or Thunderbird)>>Mozilla
    > Firefox/Thunderbird (Safe Mode)
    >
    > Can you browse and then exit cleanly?
    >
    > Does this happen every time you close FF, or are there specific
    > circumstances involved?
    >
    > Lee

    It doesn't crash every time but very frequently. I haven't been able to
    pin down any circumstance that causes it. I tried safe mode and have
    seen it crash when closing then too. Is there some way to determine
    what's happening from the debug info?

    --
    To reply by email remove "_nospam"
    Chuck, Feb 16, 2006
  7. Chuck

    elaich Guest

    Chuck <> wrote in

    > About 50% of the time when I close FF I get the following error
    > "FIREFOX.EXE has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry
    > for the inconvenience."

    I had the same problem. Check your computer's memory. It started after I
    inserted another memory stick that was SUPPOSED to be compatible with the
    one already there. For some reason, it made Firefox unstable. No other
    programs were affected. I took the card out, and the problem went away.
    elaich, Feb 16, 2006
  8. Chuck

    Chuck Guest

    elaich wrote:
    > Chuck <> wrote in
    >
    >> About 50% of the time when I close FF I get the following error
    >> "FIREFOX.EXE has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry
    >> for the inconvenience."

    > I had the same problem. Check your computer's memory. It started after I
    > inserted another memory stick that was SUPPOSED to be compatible with the
    > one already there. For some reason, it made Firefox unstable. No other
    > programs were affected. I took the card out, and the problem went away.

    No memory or memory sticks have been added.

    --
    To reply by email remove "_nospam"
    Chuck, Feb 16, 2006
  9. Chuck

    elaich Guest

    Chuck <> wrote in

    > No memory or memory sticks have been added.

    But, you might have one starting to fail.
    elaich, Feb 17, 2006
  10. Chuck

    Chuck Guest

    elaich wrote:
    > Chuck <> wrote in
    >
    >> No memory or memory sticks have been added.

    > But, you might have one starting to fail.

    But I don't have any memory sticks at all. Just the RAM that came
    preinstalled in the machine and if that were going bad I'd be seeing a
    lot more applications crashing than just one. I think there is something
    incompatibilty between FF and some other piece of software. The question
    is "what?". The machine in question is a Dell D600 laptop with XP Pro
    SP2 and all current security patches up to the ones released yesterday.

    --
    To reply by email remove "_nospam"
    Chuck, Feb 17, 2006
  11. Chuck

    Guest

    On Thu, 16 Feb 2006 17:54:10 GMT, Chuck
    <> wrote:

    >elaich wrote:
    >> Chuck <> wrote in
    >>
    >>> About 50% of the time when I close FF I get the following error
    >>> "FIREFOX.EXE has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry
    >>> for the inconvenience."

    >> I had the same problem. Check your computer's memory. It started after I
    >> inserted another memory stick that was SUPPOSED to be compatible with the
    >> one already there. For some reason, it made Firefox unstable. No other
    >> programs were affected. I took the card out, and the problem went away.

    >No memory or memory sticks have been added.

    If you have no memory how can you remember if you added any or not?
    It takes memory to remember things like this.
    , Feb 22, 2006
  12. Chuck

    Chuck Guest

    wrote:
    > On Thu, 16 Feb 2006 17:54:10 GMT, Chuck
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> elaich wrote:
    >>> Chuck <> wrote in

    >>> I had the same problem. Check your computer's memory. It started after I
    >>> inserted another memory stick that was SUPPOSED to be compatible with the
    >>> one already there. For some reason, it made Firefox unstable. No other
    >>> programs were affected. I took the card out, and the problem went away.

    >> No memory or memory sticks have been added.

    > If you have no memory how can you remember if you added any or not?
    > It takes memory to remember things like this.

    Different architecture (biological). Doesn't require inserting memory
    sticks. I tried once anyway, but all I got was a lot of strange looks
    from my coworkers.

    --
    To reply by email remove "_nospam"
    Chuck, Feb 22, 2006
  13. Chuck

    Cevius

    Joined:
    Oct 13, 2006
    Messages:
    1
    Ive had a much more interesting bug when closing FireFox. My entire computer instantly restarts. Ive had this problem for some time, but only recently has it been predictable enough to happen when FF closes. Ive got a second stick of ram that is a bit iffy, but why FF would affect it when i use a whole range of programs that use MUCH MUCH more than it, i dont know.

    Someobdy suggested i try Opera, as they had this problem too, But Opera has the excact same result on closing.

    new computer time?
    Cevius, Oct 13, 2006