Firefox crashes every time I print this web page to PDF

Discussion in 'Firefox' started by Ricky Mitchell, Jul 11, 2005.

  1. Can someone else test this crash to see if it's Adobe or Firefox?

    Every time I print a certain web page to PDF, Firefox crashes.
    Internet Explorer prints the page to PDF fine but Firefox can't.

    If you have the Adobe Acrobat writer (not the reader) and Firefox, can you
    try to print this web page to PDF and tell us if your Firefox also crashes
    every time?

    WEB PAGE:
    http://www.classical-webdesigns.co.uk/resources/pixelinchconvert.html

    AEB BROWSER:
    Firefox = 1.0.4 Mozilla/5.0
    (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.7.8)
    Gecko/20050511 Firefox/1.0.4

    TESTED OS:
    Windows XP SP2

    PDF WRITER:
    Adobe Acrobat 6.0 Standard
    -
    Ricky Mitchell, Jul 11, 2005

  2. Ricky Mitchell

    Ace Clem Guest

    Ricky Mitchell said the following on 11/07/2005 1:44 PM:
    > Can someone else test this crash to see if it's Adobe or Firefox?
    >
    > Every time I print a certain web page to PDF, Firefox crashes.
    > Internet Explorer prints the page to PDF fine but Firefox can't.
    >
    > If you have the Adobe Acrobat writer (not the reader) and Firefox, can you
    > try to print this web page to PDF and tell us if your Firefox also crashes
    > every time?
    >
    > WEB PAGE:
    > http://www.classical-webdesigns.co.uk/resources/pixelinchconvert.html
    >
    > AEB BROWSER:
    > Firefox = 1.0.4 Mozilla/5.0
    > (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.7.8)
    > Gecko/20050511 Firefox/1.0.4
    >
    > TESTED OS:
    > Windows XP SP2
    >
    > PDF WRITER:
    > Adobe Acrobat 6.0 Standard
    > -

    It actually sounds like an Acrobat problem - maybe their printer driver.
    Ensure you have all the necessary updates install & try again. It
    appears you should be on 6.0.3.

    http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/product.jsp?product=1&platform=Windows
    Ace Clem, Jul 11, 2005

  3. Ricky Mitchell

    nailer Guest

    mozilla 1.0.2 and acrobat 702 work like a charm

    *
[...]
    *-
    nailer, Jul 11, 2005
  4. Ricky Mitchell

    Vanessa Guest

    Ace Clem wrote:
    > > Can someone else test this crash to see if it's Adobe or Firefox?
    > > Every time I print a certain web page to PDF, Firefox crashes.
    > > http://www.classical-webdesigns.co.uk/resources/pixelinchconvert.html

    > It actually sounds like an Acrobat problem - maybe their printer driver.
    > Ensure you have all the necessary updates install & try again. It
    > appears you should be on 6.0.3.
    > http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/product.jsp?product=1&platform=Windows

    Just so everyone is aware, these confusing Adobe web page seems to
    indicate you must install the three updates in a sequence (first the
    6.0 to 6.01 update, then the 6.01 to 6.02 update, and lastly the
    desired 6.02 to 6.03 update).

    Also, note that the referenced three Adobe Acrobat updates will require
    a pointer to the original installation disk 4MB AcroStan.msi file. If
    you don't have that file handy, then don't bother with the update until
    you do.

    However, note that two of the three updates seem to have a file name
    that implies they apply only to the Adobe Acrobat READER ... even as
    the documented web pages seem to infer they apply to the WRITER also.
    If anyone has a clarification on that confusion, please let me know as
    I can't be the only one confused by this inconsistency.

    Even though everyone who has the Adobe Acrobat Writer has long ago
    deleted any notion of an Adobe Acrobat Reader on sight (as the Adobe
    Acrobat Reader buys them nothing but wasted disk space), this update to
    the writer also installs an update to the Reader which doesn't exist in
    the first place so the update to the Reader must be subsequently
    uninstalled in the Windows XP control panel add & remove programs
    aplet.

    However, if you uninstall the newly added Reader update, you also rev
    back down the Writer version from 6.02 back to 6.01. Wierd and
    confusing Adobe shenanigans I guess.

    Then, when you try to install the third update to the Adobe Acrobat
    Writer from 6.02 to 6.03, the installer complains that you are back on
    6.01 for the writer even though it's the READER that it seems to say
    it's installing. Go figure.

    Now you go back and re-install the Adobe Acrobat READER 6.01 to 6.02
    update (even though you don't have an Adobe Acrobat READER on your
    system in the first place); then re-install the READER 6.02 to 6.03
    update; and that will get you the Adobe Acrobat WRITER updated from 6.0
    to 6.03.

    It makes no sense whatsoever to me to have to update (and re-create) a
    non-existing READER in order to simply update the existing WRITER (and
    then if you delete the extraneous READER you back-rev the desired
    WRITER).

    Can you make sense of this empirical observation for us?
    Vanessa, Jul 11, 2005
  5. Ricky Mitchell

    dillinger Guest

    Ricky Mitchell wrote:
    > Can someone else test this crash to see if it's Adobe or Firefox?
    >
    > Every time I print a certain web page to PDF, Firefox crashes.
    > Internet Explorer prints the page to PDF fine but Firefox can't.
    >
    > If you have the Adobe Acrobat writer (not the reader) and Firefox, can you
    > try to print this web page to PDF and tell us if your Firefox also crashes
    > every time?
    >
    > WEB PAGE:
    > http://www.classical-webdesigns.co.uk/resources/pixelinchconvert.html
    >
    > AEB BROWSER:
    > Firefox = 1.0.4 Mozilla/5.0
    > (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.7.8)
    > Gecko/20050511 Firefox/1.0.4
    >
    > TESTED OS:
    > Windows XP SP2
    >
    > PDF WRITER:
    > Adobe Acrobat 6.0 Standard
    > -

    Printing to CutePDF 2.2 crashes it too. (Win2k SP4, FF 1.0.4)
    dillinger, Jul 11, 2005
  6. x-post & f'up 2 ctp

    Ricky Mitchell wrote:
    > Can someone else test this crash to see if it's Adobe or Firefox?
    >
    > Every time I print a certain web page to PDF, Firefox crashes.
    > Internet Explorer prints the page to PDF fine but Firefox can't.
    >
    > If you have the Adobe Acrobat writer (not the reader) and Firefox, can you
    > try to print this web page to PDF and tell us if your Firefox also crashes
    > every time?
    >
    > WEB PAGE:
    > http://www.classical-webdesigns.co.uk/resources/pixelinchconvert.html
    >
    > AEB BROWSER:
    > Firefox = 1.0.4 Mozilla/5.0
    > (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.7.8)
    > Gecko/20050511 Firefox/1.0.4
    >
    > TESTED OS:
    > Windows XP SP2
    >
    > PDF WRITER:
    > Adobe Acrobat 6.0 Standard

    Also crashes with Adobe Acrobat 5.0 on WinME with Firefox 1.0.4.

    BUT doesn't crash with Acrobat Distiller 5.0 if I go to "print
    preview" and change the paper direction to "landscape" or if I
    change paper direction in Distiller in advance in the printer folder.

    --Nik
    Niklaus Kuehnis, Jul 11, 2005
  7. On 7/11/2005 4:44 AM, Ricky Mitchell said:
    > Can someone else test this crash to see if it's Adobe or Firefox?
    >
    > Every time I print a certain web page to PDF, Firefox crashes.
    > Internet Explorer prints the page to PDF fine but Firefox can't.
    >
    > If you have the Adobe Acrobat writer (not the reader) and Firefox, can you
    > try to print this web page to PDF and tell us if your Firefox also crashes
    > every time?
    >
    > WEB PAGE:
    > http://www.classical-webdesigns.co.uk/resources/pixelinchconvert.html
    >
    > AEB BROWSER:
    > Firefox = 1.0.4 Mozilla/5.0
    > (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.7.8)
    > Gecko/20050511 Firefox/1.0.4
    >
    > TESTED OS:
    > Windows XP SP2
    >
    > PDF WRITER:
    > Adobe Acrobat 6.0 Standard
    > -

    Worked first time with Acrobat 6.0 and 1.0.4 (Win2K)
    David Harrison, Jul 11, 2005
  8. Ricky Mitchell schrieb:
    > Can someone else test this crash to see if it's Adobe or Firefox?

    > WEB PAGE:
    > http://www.classical-webdesigns.co.uk/resources/pixelinchconvert.html
    >
    > AEB BROWSER:
    > Firefox = 1.0.4 Mozilla/5.0
    > (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.7.8)
    > Gecko/20050511 Firefox/1.0.4
    >
    > TESTED OS:
    > Windows XP SP2
    >
    > PDF WRITER:
    > Adobe Acrobat 6.0 Standard
    > -

    instead Acrobat 7: fine.

    Michael
    Michael Zedler, Jul 11, 2005
  9. Ricky Mitchell

    Jack Gillis Guest

    I gave it a try and couldn't even print directly to the printer or print
    preview the page. Firefox locked up in each case during the 'preparing'
    action with 100% cpu usage. So, in my case, I don't think it had to do
    with Adobe. IE worked just fine.

    Go figure!

    Jack Gillis, Jul 11, 2005
  10. Ricky Mitchell

    Guest

    Hi,

    I had a similar problem with a different application (webex) and I sent a
    note to Mozilla who answered back quite quickly that they were still
    implementing vairous apps, specially those with ActiveX components (which
    Adobe certainly has). You may want to contact Mozilla to check the status.

    Larry T.
    , Jul 11, 2005
  11. Ricky Mitchell

    Ace Clem Guest

    Michael Zedler said the following on 12/07/2005 1:17 AM:
    > Ricky Mitchell schrieb:
    >
    >> Can someone else test this crash to see if it's Adobe or Firefox?

    >> WEB PAGE:
    >> http://www.classical-webdesigns.co.uk/resources/pixelinchconvert.html
    >>
    >> AEB BROWSER: Firefox = 1.0.4 Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U;
    >> Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.7.8) Gecko/20050511 Firefox/1.0.4
    >>
    >> TESTED OS: Windows XP SP2
    >>
    >> PDF WRITER: Adobe Acrobat 6.0 Standard
    >> -

    > instead Acrobat 7: fine.
    >
    > Michael

    This may be the answer, either the problem is fixed in Acrobat 7, or the
    PDF uses some new PDF 7 feature that crashes older versions.
    Ace Clem, Jul 12, 2005