    have become useless.

    KN

    , Aug 23, 2006

  2. wrote:
    > This is Firefox 1.0. It seems to crash more and more.
    > I am using Win98Se on an old Pentium 233 computer with 72 megs ram.
    > I clear the cache daily. It seems that once I open several tabs, I
    > crash.
    >
    > I also hacve IE 5.5 installed. While IE crashes occasionally, Firefox
    > crashes much more often. While I like the features of FF much better,
    > I am really sick of the crashing and find myself using IE most of the
    > time now. Maybe it's just time to get rid of FF because it seems to
    > have become useless.
    >
    > KN

    Well if you used an up to date verions, maybe you wouldnt have those
    problems.

    Firefox is up to 1.5.06 now. Please update.

    Mozilla Champion (Dan), Aug 23, 2006

  3. PM Guest

    wrote:
    > This is Firefox 1.0. It seems to crash more and more.
    > I am using Win98Se on an old Pentium 233 computer with 72 megs ram.
    > I clear the cache daily. It seems that once I open several tabs, I
    > crash.
    >
    > I also hacve IE 5.5 installed. While IE crashes occasionally, Firefox
    > crashes much more often. While I like the features of FF much better,
    > I am really sick of the crashing and find myself using IE most of the
    > time now. Maybe it's just time to get rid of FF because it seems to
    > have become useless.
    >
    > KN

    Try <http://kmeleon.sourceforge.net/>. The K-Meleon browser is very fit
    for old Windows system with a deficit of memory.

    --
    /P.M.

    PM, Aug 23, 2006
  4. Mumia W. Guest

    On 08/23/2006 02:52 AM, wrote:
    > This is Firefox 1.0. It seems to crash more and more.
    > I am using Win98Se on an old Pentium 233 computer with 72 megs ram.
    > I clear the cache daily. It seems that once I open several tabs, I
    > crash.
    >
    > I also hacve IE 5.5 installed. While IE crashes occasionally, Firefox
    > crashes much more often. While I like the features of FF much better,
    > I am really sick of the crashing and find myself using IE most of the
    > time now. Maybe it's just time to get rid of FF because it seems to
    > have become useless.
    >
    > KN

    Check your system for malware.
    Use Windows Update or whatever the equivalent is for Win98se
    to update your O/S.
    Upgrade to Firefox 1.5.

    Mumia W., Aug 23, 2006
  5. On Wed, 23 Aug 2006 02:52:29 -0500, wrote:

    > This is Firefox 1.0. It seems to crash more and more.
    > I am using Win98Se on an old Pentium 233 computer with 72 megs ram.
    > I clear the cache daily. It seems that once I open several tabs, I
    > crash.

    I'm also using a Pentium 233, but with only 64 megs of RAM. I also have IE
    5.5, but have never had to use it. Firefox 1.0 did crash on occasion, but
    not very often. I am currently using version 1.5.0.6 and that has never
    crashed on me. None of the newer 1.5.x versions have crashed for me, except
    possibly when installing new extensions or themes, but I tend to blame that
    entirely on the badly-written extensions and themes. This problem is not
    very common with Firefox 1.5.x.

    Firefox 1.5.x is actually a bit faster on my Win 98se system than Firefox
    1.0.x was, so there is little reason to not upgrade. The newer versions are
    *not* bloated, like most other software. Be aware that you may have to find
    new versions of some extensions, if you use them.

    Other things that cause Win98 to crash are video and sound drivers that
    aren't quite right. Back up your existing drivers and see if you can find
    newer versions. Crashes caused by bad often only show up while running
    certain programs.

    > I am really sick of the crashing and find myself using IE most of the
    > time now. Maybe it's just time to get rid of FF because it seems to
    > have become useless.

    There is a chance that your Firefox profile has some sort of corruption in
    it. You could try with a totally new profile. Reinstalling Firefox, as
    you've probably done a few times, does not fix or replace an existing
    profile. In your case, the profile is probably located in
    "C:\Windows\Application Data\Mozilla\". To do a fully clean update, you
    must create a new profile and use it, or just delete the old one. Back up
    your entire profile prior to deleting anything, in case you need something
    from it later. Your bookmarks and preferences are stored there. If you are
    going to do this, you might as well upgrade to 1.5.0.6 as well.

    I have a friend who is happily using 1.5.0.6 on a Win 95 system, though it
    required a few .dlls to be upgraded first. Win 98se already works with
    Firefox as it is.

    FoxWolfie Galen, Aug 23, 2006
  6. Guest

    On Wed, 23 Aug 2006 08:27:46 GMT, "Mozilla Champion (Dan)"
    <> wrote:

    > wrote:
    >> This is Firefox 1.0. It seems to crash more and more.
    >> I am using Win98Se on an old Pentium 233 computer with 72 megs ram.
    >> I clear the cache daily. It seems that once I open several tabs, I
    >> crash.
    >>
    >> I also hacve IE 5.5 installed. While IE crashes occasionally, Firefox
    >> crashes much more often. While I like the features of FF much better,
    >> I am really sick of the crashing and find myself using IE most of the
    >> time now. Maybe it's just time to get rid of FF because it seems to
    >> have become useless.
    >>
    >> KN

    >Well if you used an up to date verions, maybe you wouldnt have those
    >problems.
    >
    >Firefox is up to 1.5.06 now. Please update.

    Since when does Firefox REQUIRE an upgrade? (Or for that matter, any
    software). Whether software is purchased or free, older versions
    should continue to work when upgrades come out. I did not get a
    computer in order to install new software all the time. I bought it
    to use it, period.

    I have no intention of upgrading. This is an older computer with an
    older version of Windows. It SHOULD run older software. It likely
    will NOT run newer software, which is most likely nothing more than a
    bloated version of the same thing, and likely requires more memory,
    more cpu speed, and most likely WinXP. I already know that upgrading
    FF will be opening a can of worms. It's not simply installing a patch
    or new .DLL file. I am well aware that all my extensions will need to
    be reinstalled, then likely I'll have to add memory, upgrade windows,
    and ultimately spend a thousand dollars for a complete new computer
    with XP, and completely start over. I was perfectly happy with using
    FF 1.0. I dont need more features or bloat. It's just a friggin web
    brower, not a weapon of mass destruction or highly technical medical
    body function monitor. All I ask is for a browser that's stable.
    Apparently FF is NOT.

    If Mozilla did something to make their older versions crash, in order
    to force users to upgrade, I dont want anything to do with their
    software. Even Microsoft (as crooked as they are), still has older
    software that works. I still use IE 5.5, and want no part of IE 6.x.
    IE 5.5 still works (as much as I hate IE). FF 1.0 used to work fine,
    even though it did on occasion crash, but not any longer. I should
    note that it crashes most often when I go to websites with PDF files.
    Unfortunately far too many sites use those god forsaken s.l.o.w
    things. Maybe it's because I removed Adobe reader and got Foxit.
    Adobe reader is a prime example of bloatware that went so far as to
    become unusable. Adobe was yet another REQUIRED upgrade. Getting rid
    of it was the best thing I ever did on this computer.

    KN

    , Aug 23, 2006
  7. On 2006-08-23, Mumia W. <> wrote:

    > On 08/23/2006 02:52 AM, wrote:
    >
    >> This is Firefox 1.0. It seems to crash more and more.
    >> I am using Win98Se on an old Pentium 233 computer with 72 megs ram.
    >> I clear the cache daily. It seems that once I open several tabs, I
    >> crash.
    >>
    >> I also hacve IE 5.5 installed. While IE crashes occasionally, Firefox
    >> crashes much more often. While I like the features of FF much better,
    >> I am really sick of the crashing and find myself using IE most of the
    >> time now. Maybe it's just time to get rid of FF because it seems to
    >> have become useless.

    > Check your system for malware.
    > Use Windows Update or whatever the equivalent is for Win98se
    > to update your O/S.
    > Upgrade to Firefox 1.5.

    Windows Update will no longer update Win9x/ME systems. Time to update
    the OS? If you don't want to spend the $$$ for a newer version of
    Windows (that may need more horsepower than your machine has), check out
    the smaller linux distributions e.g. Vectorlinux, Puppy linux, or even
    NetBSD. Up to date versions of Firefox are available for all these.

    --

    John ()

    John Thompson, Aug 24, 2006
  8. wrote:
    > On Wed, 23 Aug 2006 08:27:46 GMT, "Mozilla Champion (Dan)"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> wrote:
    >>> This is Firefox 1.0. It seems to crash more and more.
    >>> I am using Win98Se on an old Pentium 233 computer with 72 megs ram.
    >>> I clear the cache daily. It seems that once I open several tabs, I
    >>> crash.
    >>>
    >>> I also hacve IE 5.5 installed. While IE crashes occasionally, Firefox
    >>> crashes much more often. While I like the features of FF much better,
    >>> I am really sick of the crashing and find myself using IE most of the
    >>> time now. Maybe it's just time to get rid of FF because it seems to
    >>> have become useless.
    >>>
    >>> KN

    >> Well if you used an up to date verions, maybe you wouldnt have those
    >> problems.
    >>
    >> Firefox is up to 1.5.06 now. Please update.

    > Since when does Firefox REQUIRE an upgrade? (Or for that matter, any
    > software). Whether software is purchased or free, older versions
    > should continue to work when upgrades come out. I did not get a
    > computer in order to install new software all the time. I bought it
    > to use it, period.
    >
    > I have no intention of upgrading. This is an older computer with an
    > older version of Windows. It SHOULD run older software. It likely
    > will NOT run newer software, which is most likely nothing more than a
    > bloated version of the same thing, and likely requires more memory,
    > more cpu speed, and most likely WinXP. I already know that upgrading
    > FF will be opening a can of worms. It's not simply installing a patch
    > or new .DLL file. I am well aware that all my extensions will need to
    > be reinstalled, then likely I'll have to add memory, upgrade windows,
    > and ultimately spend a thousand dollars for a complete new computer
    > with XP, and completely start over. I was perfectly happy with using
    > FF 1.0. I dont need more features or bloat. It's just a friggin web
    > brower, not a weapon of mass destruction or highly technical medical
    > body function monitor. All I ask is for a browser that's stable.
    > Apparently FF is NOT.
    >
    > If Mozilla did something to make their older versions crash, in order
    > to force users to upgrade, I dont want anything to do with their
    > software. Even Microsoft (as crooked as they are), still has older
    > software that works. I still use IE 5.5, and want no part of IE 6.x.
    > IE 5.5 still works (as much as I hate IE). FF 1.0 used to work fine,
    > even though it did on occasion crash, but not any longer. I should
    > note that it crashes most often when I go to websites with PDF files.
    > Unfortunately far too many sites use those god forsaken s.l.o.w
    > things. Maybe it's because I removed Adobe reader and got Foxit.
    > Adobe reader is a prime example of bloatware that went so far as to
    > become unusable. Adobe was yet another REQUIRED upgrade. Getting rid
    > of it was the best thing I ever did on this computer.
    >
    > KN

    Firefox 1.0 was the first release version of the program, compared to
    version 1.5.0.6 (the current release) which contains several thousand
    bug fixes, several dozen critical security enhancements and several new
    features.

    You can continue to use it if you want, but if you are experiencing
    problems then the FIRST thing almost anyone will tell you is to upgrade
    to the latest version!

    Fine, dont upgrade then, be my guest. But then you wont be able to fix
    the problem you are having either. Staying with your old software is
    just fine, as long as you dont have a problem with it. So the question
    becomes - are you having a problem?

    If Yes, then upgrade
    If No, then whats the question?

    Mozilla Champion (Dan), Aug 24, 2006
  9. gwtc Guest

    Mozilla Champion (Dan) wrote:
    > wrote:
    >> On Wed, 23 Aug 2006 08:27:46 GMT, "Mozilla Champion (Dan)"
    >> <> wrote:

    >>> Well if you used an up to date verions, maybe you wouldnt have those
    >>> problems.
    >>>
    >>> Firefox is up to 1.5.06 now. Please update.

    >> Since when does Firefox REQUIRE an upgrade? (Or for that matter, any
    >> software). Whether software is purchased or free, older versions
    >> should continue to work when upgrades come out. I did not get a
    >> computer in order to install new software all the time. I bought it
    >> to use it, period.
    >> I have no intention of upgrading. This is an older computer with an
    >> older version of Windows. It SHOULD run older software. It likely
    >> will NOT run newer software, which is most likely nothing more than a
    >> bloated version of the same thing, and likely requires more memory,
    >> more cpu speed, and most likely WinXP. I already know that upgrading
    >> FF will be opening a can of worms. It's not simply installing a patch
    >> or new .DLL file. I am well aware that all my extensions will need to
    >> be reinstalled, then likely I'll have to add memory, upgrade windows,
    >> and ultimately spend a thousand dollars for a complete new computer
    >> with XP, and completely start over. I was perfectly happy with using
    >> FF 1.0. I dont need more features or bloat. It's just a friggin web
    >> brower, not a weapon of mass destruction or highly technical medical
    >> body function monitor. All I ask is for a browser that's stable.
    >> Apparently FF is NOT.
    >>
    >> If Mozilla did something to make their older versions crash, in order
    >> to force users to upgrade, I dont want anything to do with their
    >> software. Even Microsoft (as crooked as they are), still has older
    >> software that works. I still use IE 5.5, and want no part of IE 6.x.
    >> IE 5.5 still works (as much as I hate IE). FF 1.0 used to work fine,
    >> even though it did on occasion crash, but not any longer. I should
    >> note that it crashes most often when I go to websites with PDF files.
    >> Unfortunately far too many sites use those god forsaken s.l.o.w
    >> things. Maybe it's because I removed Adobe reader and got Foxit.
    >> Adobe reader is a prime example of bloatware that went so far as to
    >> become unusable. Adobe was yet another REQUIRED upgrade. Getting rid
    >> of it was the best thing I ever did on this computer.
    >>
    >> KN

    > Firefox 1.0 was the first release version of the program, compared to
    > version 1.5.0.6 (the current release) which contains several thousand
    > bug fixes, several dozen critical security enhancements and several new
    > features.

    plus it contains a lot of fixes to several problems.

    --
    Files From The Not To Swift Department . . .

    A lady at work was seen putting a credit card into her floppy Drive
    and pulling it out very quickly. When I inquired as to what she was
    doing, she said she was shopping on the Internet and they kept asking
    for a credit card number, so she was using the ATM "thingy."

    gwtc, Aug 24, 2006
  10. Mumia W. Guest

    On 08/23/2006 03:54 PM, wrote:
    > On Wed, 23 Aug 2006 08:27:46 GMT, "Mozilla Champion (Dan)"
    > <> wrote:
    >>
    >> Firefox is up to 1.5.06 now. Please update.

    > Since when does Firefox REQUIRE an upgrade?

    It doesn't, but as the Mozilla organization fixes Fx bugs, the
    only way you'll get the bug fixes is by downloading and
    installing the new, fixed version of Fx.

    > (Or for that matter, any
    > software). Whether software is purchased or free, older versions
    > should continue to work when upgrades come out. I did not get a
    > computer in order to install new software all the time. I bought it
    > to use it, period.
    >
    > I have no intention of upgrading. This is an older computer with an
    > older version of Windows. It SHOULD run older software. It likely
    > will NOT run newer software, which is most likely nothing more than a
    > bloated version of the same thing, and likely requires more memory,
    > more cpu speed, and most likely WinXP.

    /Microsoft/ makes its money by forcing people to upgrade most
    of their software and most of their hardware every few years,
    but Mozilla is not Microsoft or Dell. Mozilla doesn't sell
    operating systems or computers.

    You failed to check the system requirements for Firefox
    1.5.0.6: http://www.mozilla.com/firefox/system-requirements.html

    Win98 is a supported O/S.

    > I already know that upgrading
    > FF will be opening a can of worms.

    Correction: not-upgrading Fx will make your computer a can of
    worms. Every so often, vulnerabilities are found in Fx that
    would allow Internet worms and other malware to intrude upon
    your system and make it unstable.

    > It's not simply installing a patch
    > or new .DLL file.

    With modern versions of Fx, it is like installing a patch.

    > I am well aware that all my extensions will need to
    > be reinstalled, then likely I'll have to add memory, upgrade windows,
    > and ultimately spend a thousand dollars for a complete new computer
    > with XP, and completely start over.

    You've been using Microsoft software for too long. Microsoft's
    way of thinking about computers has infected your brain. Good
    luck with that.

    > I was perfectly happy with using
    > FF 1.0. I dont need more features or bloat. It's just a friggin web
    > brower, not a weapon of mass destruction or highly technical medical
    > body function monitor. All I ask is for a browser that's stable.
    > Apparently FF is NOT.

    If the bug that's causing Fx 1.0 to crash has been fixed in Fx
    1.5.0.6, how would you get the benefit without upgrading?

    > If Mozilla did something to make their older versions crash, in order
    > to force users to upgrade, I dont want anything to do with their
    > software.

    I'm not going to laugh out loud, because I feel for you.
    Before you dump Fx for IE, you should know that IE is ten
    times buggier than Fx, and it is the primary target of
    hackers, and MS isn't providing any updates (including
    security updates) for the versions of IE that will run on your
    chosen O/S.

    Of course, you could always use Lynx.

    > Even Microsoft (as crooked as they are), still has older
    > software that works. I still use IE 5.5, and want no part of IE 6.x.
    > IE 5.5 still works (as much as I hate IE). FF 1.0 used to work fine,
    > even though it did on occasion crash, but not any longer. I should
    > note that it crashes most often when I go to websites with PDF files.
    > Unfortunately far too many sites use those god forsaken s.l.o.w
    > things. Maybe it's because I removed Adobe reader and got Foxit.
    > Adobe reader is a prime example of bloatware that went so far as to
    > become unusable. Adobe was yet another REQUIRED upgrade. Getting rid
    > of it was the best thing I ever did on this computer.
    >
    > KN

    Have you ever heard of "xpdf for windows"?

    Mumia W., Aug 24, 2006
  11. On Wed, 23 Aug 2006 15:54:36 -0500, wrote:

    > On Wed, 23 Aug 2006 08:27:46 GMT, "Mozilla Champion (Dan)"
    > <> wrote:

    > >Well if you used an up to date verions, maybe you wouldnt have those
    > >problems.
    > >
    > >Firefox is up to 1.5.06 now. Please update.

    > Since when does Firefox REQUIRE an upgrade? (Or for that matter, any
    > software). Whether software is purchased or free, older versions
    > should continue to work when upgrades come out. I did not get a
    > computer in order to install new software all the time. I bought it
    > to use it, period.
    >
    > I have no intention of upgrading. This is an older computer with an
    > older version of Windows. It SHOULD run older software. It likely
    > will NOT run newer software, which is most likely nothing more than a
    > bloated version of the same thing, and likely requires more memory,
    > more cpu speed, and most likely WinXP.

    Firefox does not require an upgrade. Old versions of Firebird still work.
    It is not likely that I will be upgrading from Win 98se for a long time,
    unless someone throws a practically free Pentium 4 my way. I've seen Win XP
    on a Pentium III, and it almost made me cry. It was so incredibly slow and
    bloated. Even with a P4, I'd probably still prefer to run Win 98se. It's so
    much faster and smaller.

    Firefox is one of those very rare programs that is not becoming more
    bloated as newer versions come out. I don't upgrade software if the newer
    version turns out to be slower. Version 1.5.0.6 runs well on a Pentium 233
    with 64 megs of RAM. All versions could benefit from more speed and memory,
    but 1.5.0.6 runs and is a bit more stable than the 1.0.x versions were. The
    minimum system requirements have not changed for running Firefox in a long
    time. One thing in Firefox 1.5.x does use a little more memory, but it's a
    feature that can be turned off easily. That is the new faster cache for
    going backwards and forwards through already visited pages. Even with it
    on, I have not had any low memory issues so far. Since you have 8 more megs
    of RAM than I do, you should have no problems. The upgrade is a bit faster
    than 1.0.x was on my Pentium 233 system. You've already said that 1.0.x is
    not working well. You also said that you don't prefer to use IE. Upgrading,
    and fully replacing your Firefox profile might fix the problems and result
    in a faster browser. At the worst, you simply remove Firefox and use IE. I
    wouldn't do that without at least trying the upgrade first. You might like
    it.

    > I already know that upgrading
    > FF will be opening a can of worms. It's not simply installing a patch
    > or new .DLL file. I am well aware that all my extensions will need to
    > be reinstalled, then likely I'll have to add memory, upgrade windows,
    > and ultimately spend a thousand dollars for a complete new computer
    > with XP, and completely start over.

    Not in this case. I needed no additional memory or software to install the
    newest version, and I have less memory than you. Some of my older
    extensions had to be upgraded though. The Nightly Tester Tools extension,
    which is very small, may be required to install some older extensions. I
    had to use it the get ChromEdit to install. Nightly Tester can then be
    disable until it might be needed again. I used to use AdBlock with Firefox
    1.0.7, but moved to AdBlock Plus for Firefox 1.5.x. It's noticeably faster
    now.

    > If Mozilla did something to make their older versions crash, in order
    > to force users to upgrade, I dont want anything to do with their
    > software. Even Microsoft (as crooked as they are), still has older
    > software that works. I still use IE 5.5, and want no part of IE 6.x.
    > IE 5.5 still works (as much as I hate IE). FF 1.0 used to work fine,
    > even though it did on occasion crash, but not any longer. I should
    > note that it crashes most often when I go to websites with PDF files.

    I hear that a lot from people. That can probably be blamed on Adobe, or its
    PDF plugin. I refuse to ever install any version of Adobe or it's plugins.
    I had terrible luck with them in the past. I use Foxit to display PDF
    files, which is easily 50 times faster than Adobe, and it's also something
    like 15 times smaller! Foxit has never crashed on me, which is a claim that
    Adobe could never hope to make. Foxit is still not perfect, as the PDF
    format is horrible to begin with, but Foxit runs circles around Adobe, and
    doesn't crash.

    > Unfortunately far too many sites use those god forsaken s.l.o.w
    > things. Maybe it's because I removed Adobe reader and got Foxit.

    I'll take a text file any day over the PDF crap that is so common now. I
    have low vision, and it's nearly impossible to read PDF files without
    increasing the font size, which requires that I have to scroll left and
    right as well as up and down for everything. At least plain text and HTML
    will wordwrap, eliminating the need for horizontal scrolling. PDF may be
    one of the worst inventions for visually impaired people on the net -
    besides being dreadfully slow. I guess some people love to read
    multi-megabyte PDF files that contain no more information than a text file
    of only a few kilobytes!

    > Adobe reader is a prime example of bloatware that went so far as to
    > become unusable. Adobe was yet another REQUIRED upgrade. Getting rid
    > of it was the best thing I ever did on this computer.

    I couldn't agree more.

    Another potential source for trouble with systems with limited memory is
    Shockwave and Flash files. Go to a page where 10 or 15 of those are running
    at once, and you probably will run low on memory and possibly crash. I
    normally leave *.swf blocked in my AdBlock Plus. Browsing is much faster
    and less annoying that way. I only enable *.swf files if I actually intend
    to look at them, which is not very often.

    FoxWolfie Galen, Aug 24, 2006
  12. *@*.com Guest

    On Thu, 24 Aug 2006 00:09:23 GMT, "Mumia W."
    <> wrote:

    >Have you ever heard of "xpdf for windows"?

    What's this????????

    *@*.com, Aug 24, 2006
  13. Mumia W. Guest

    On 08/24/2006 12:14 AM, *@*.com wrote:
    > On Thu, 24 Aug 2006 00:09:23 GMT, "Mumia W."
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> Have you ever heard of "xpdf for windows"?

    > What's this????????

    Xpdf is a Linux pdf reader that's been ported to Windows.

    http://gnuwin32.sourceforge.net/packages/xpdf.htm

    Mumia W., Aug 24, 2006
  14. <> skrev i en meddelelse
    > On Wed, 23 Aug 2006 08:27:46 GMT, "Mozilla Champion (Dan)"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > Since when does Firefox REQUIRE an upgrade? (Or for that matter, any
    > software). Whether software is purchased or free, older versions
    > should continue to work when upgrades come out. I did not get a
    > computer in order to install new software all the time. I bought it
    > to use it, period.
    >

    > If Mozilla did something to make their older versions crash, in order
    > to force users to upgrade, I dont want anything to do with their
    > software.

    they didn't, it is changes in third-party software, that is causing the
    crashes

    > Even Microsoft (as crooked as they are), still has older
    > software that works. I still use IE 5.5, and want no part of IE 6.x.
    > IE 5.5 still works (as much as I hate IE). FF 1.0 used to work fine,
    > even though it did on occasion crash, but not any longer. I should
    > note that it crashes most often when I go to websites with PDF files.

    had that problem too.
    I Changed Firefox to open .PDF-files using my normal PDF-reader, instead of
    a plugin. that way, if it crashes (wich it hasn't) it wont affect firefox

    /Kasper

    Kasper Lindberg, Aug 24, 2006
  15. Charani Guest

    On Wed, 23 Aug 2006 15:54:36 -0500, wrote:

    > Since when does Firefox REQUIRE an upgrade? (Or for that matter, any
    > software). Whether software is purchased or free, older versions
    > should continue to work when upgrades come out. I did not get a
    > computer in order to install new software all the time. I bought it
    > to use it, period.

    I shouldn't think any normal person bought a computer for the sole
    purpose of continually installing new software. Most people buy them
    to use.

    I don't upgrade unless it's necessary. Security holes make it
    necessary.

    > I have no intention of upgrading.

    Then don't complain when you run into problems.

    > This is an older computer with an
    > older version of Windows. It SHOULD run older software. It likely
    > will NOT run newer software, which is most likely nothing more than a
    > bloated version of the same thing, and likely requires more memory,
    > more cpu speed, and most likely WinXP.

    Since you won't even try to run newer software, you don't know for
    sure what it will or won't do. You're also making assumptions aboout
    all new software being bloatware and that it will need more memory and
    more cpu speed and XP.

    Quite frankly, that's tosh!!

    I run an old computer with an old, and now unsupported, OS. I'm also
    using an old version of Mozilla. It's not as old as the one I was
    happily using for ages. I started getting problems and they were
    solved by updating to the much newer version.

    I regularly install new programs which run perfectly happily on my PC.
    If it's graphics heavy then it will run slower.

    I flatly refuse to install XP on my machine.

    > I already know that upgrading
    > FF will be opening a can of worms.

    You've been reading too many problem pages.

    > It's not simply installing a patch
    > or new .DLL file.

    Yes, it is. If I can do it, so can you - if you really want to.

    > I am well aware that all my extensions will need to
    > be reinstalled, then likely I'll have to add memory, upgrade windows,
    > and ultimately spend a thousand dollars for a complete new computer
    > with XP, and completely start over.

    You do talk nonsense. You don't really want any help fixing the
    problem you have. You just want to have a whinge.

    > I was perfectly happy with using
    > FF 1.0. I dont need more features or bloat. It's just a friggin web
    > brower, not a weapon of mass destruction or highly technical medical
    > body function monitor. All I ask is for a browser that's stable.
    > Apparently FF is NOT.

    Firefox is but if you want a secure browser then you'll need to
    upgrade like everyone else. Firefox isn't bloat and you aren't
    compelled to use any features you don't want.

    > If Mozilla did something to make their older versions crash, in order
    > to force users to upgrade, I dont want anything to do with their
    > software.

    I have never heard anyone come out with as much bull as you are. Of
    course Mozilla didn't do anything to their older versions to make them
    crash. They wouldn't still be around if they did idiotic things like
    that.

    > Even Microsoft (as crooked as they are), still has older
    > software that works. I still use IE 5.5, and want no part of IE 6.x.
    > IE 5.5 still works (as much as I hate IE).

    And it's full of security holes that M$ deny even exist. They're good
    at that, you know.

    > FF 1.0 used to work fine,
    > even though it did on occasion crash, but not any longer. I should
    > note that it crashes most often when I go to websites with PDF files.

    The that suggests the sites are using newer versions of .pdf files
    that your version of Firefox can't cope with. That isn't Firefox's
    fault at all.

    Nothing stands still, especially in the computer world.

    > Unfortunately far too many sites use those god forsaken s.l.o.w
    > things. Maybe it's because I removed Adobe reader and got Foxit.
    > Adobe reader is a prime example of bloatware that went so far as to
    > become unusable. Adobe was yet another REQUIRED upgrade. Getting rid
    > of it was the best thing I ever did on this computer.

    Getting rid of Adobe and replacing it with Foxit isn't the reason the
    sites are slow. It's down to the version of the programs you're using
    and a lot of other things as well.

    You could well have a whole raft of malware on your PC which is
    causing the problem but you're blaming Firefox.

    Have you upgraded your firewall? Probably not because it should work
    without that and upgrades are just bloatware.

    Have you upgraded your AV?? Probably not because it should work
    without that and upgrades are just bloatware, never mind the 1000s of
    new viruses etc that are released every day.

    Whinge on my friend while the rest of us get on with the serious
    things in life, like making sure our PCs are up to speed.

    Charani, Aug 24, 2006
  16. Guest

    On Wed, 23 Aug 2006 23:32:59 GMT, "Mozilla Champion (Dan)"
    <> wrote:

> [...]

    >> Adobe reader is a prime example of bloatware that went so far as to
    >> become unusable. Adobe was yet another REQUIRED upgrade. Getting rid
    >> of it was the best thing I ever did on this computer.
    >>
    >> KN

    >Firefox 1.0 was the first release version of the program, compared to
    >version 1.5.0.6 (the current release) which contains several thousand
    >bug fixes, several dozen critical security enhancements and several new
    >features.
    >
    >You can continue to use it if you want, but if you are experiencing
    >problems then the FIRST thing almost anyone will tell you is to upgrade
    >to the latest version!
    >
    >Fine, dont upgrade then, be my guest. But then you wont be able to fix
    >the problem you are having either. Staying with your old software is
    >just fine, as long as you dont have a problem with it. So the question

    OK, I did it.....
    I upgraded FF and it was much easier than I anticipated. I thought
    I'd have to reinstall all the plugins, but it did that automatically,
    except for one of them that I rarely ever used anyhow.
    This is the good news.

    Now for the bad news.
    I only had one window open, was replying to a message on the yahoo
    groups (web version).
    CRASH CRASH CRASH.......... gone.....

    Same old shit !!!!

    I've about had it with Firefox.

    Note: I DO NOT have any viruses, spyware or other crap.
    I seldom have any other software crashes, including IE.
    I expect occasional crashes in all software, but FF crashes almost
    everytime I use it. I'll be patient and see what you all have to say,
    but I'm about ready to send FF to the recycle bin. I dont spend a
    half hour typing a message reply to have FF crash and eat it, which is
    forcing me to type all replies in notepad prior to posting them, and
    forcing me to copy every useful URL to a text file, knowing FF might
    crash at any moment.

    KN

    , Aug 25, 2006
  17. Ronald Hands Guest

    wrote:

    > Now for the bad news.
    > I only had one window open, was replying to a message on the yahoo
    > groups (web version).
    > CRASH CRASH CRASH.......... gone.....

    I sympathize with you in your frustration.
    But I'll also report that I have FF (the latest version) on three
    computers, an old Pentium 133 with 64 meg of RAM and using Windows 98SE,
    a Pentium III at 1 ghz with 512 mb of RAM and XP, and a laptop that uses
    a Celeron at 1.5 ghz with 512 mb of RAM, using XP.
    I can't recall that Firefox has ever crashed on any of these boxes.
    (I only keep the Pentium 133 in use because it runs one ham radio
    application for me.) There *must* be something peculiar in your setup
    that is causing all your crashes.
    I know you're dead-set against upgrades and prefer to stick with your
    Model T (to use an automobile analogy), but if your system will handle
    an upgrade to XP (probably not with your limited amount of RAM) then I
    strongly urge you to go for it. XP is light years ahead of earlier
    versions of Windows in stable, solid performance. I used to run a
    dual-boot setup with Win 98SE in one partition and Linux in the other.
    Windows 98SE was always fragile; Linux was rock solid. Since doing the
    upgrade to XP, I've been able to eliminate the Linux partition and
    reclaim the disk space. XP *is* that good!
    I should add, in case any Linux aficionados are reading this, that I
    loved Linux, but could never go to a 100% Linux setup because there were
    always a few programs that were essential to me that only ran in Windows
    (and I was too lazy to wrestle with the complications of a Windows
    emulator).

    -- Ron

    Ronald Hands, Aug 25, 2006
  18. gwtc Guest

    Ronald Hands > wrote:
    > wrote:
    >

    >> Now for the bad news.
    >> I only had one window open, was replying to a message on the yahoo
    >> groups (web version).
    >> CRASH CRASH CRASH.......... gone.....

    > I sympathize with you in your frustration.
    > But I'll also report that I have FF (the latest version) on three
    > computers, an old Pentium 133 with 64 meg of RAM and using Windows 98SE,
    > a Pentium III at 1 ghz with 512 mb of RAM and XP, and a laptop that uses
    > a Celeron at 1.5 ghz with 512 mb of RAM, using XP.
    > I can't recall that Firefox has ever crashed on any of these boxes. (I
    > only keep the Pentium 133 in use because it runs one ham radio
    > application for me.) There *must* be something peculiar in your setup
    > that is causing all your crashes.
    > I know you're dead-set against upgrades and prefer to stick with your
    > Model T (to use an automobile analogy), but if your system will handle
    > an upgrade to XP (probably not with your limited amount of RAM) then I
    > strongly urge you to go for it. XP is light years ahead of earlier
    > versions of Windows in stable, solid performance. I used to run a
    > dual-boot setup with Win 98SE in one partition and Linux in the other.
    > Windows 98SE was always fragile; Linux was rock solid. Since doing the
    > upgrade to XP, I've been able to eliminate the Linux partition and
    > reclaim the disk space. XP *is* that good!
    > I should add, in case any Linux aficionados are reading this, that I
    > loved Linux, but could never go to a 100% Linux setup because there were
    > always a few programs that were essential to me that only ran in Windows
    > (and I was too lazy to wrestle with the complications of a Windows
    > emulator).
    >
    > -- Ron

    I use win98Gold, and run SeaMonkey. It always crashes with one
    program -- WindowBlinds.

    --
    Amazingly Simple Home Remedies . . .

    gwtc, Aug 25, 2006
  19. Guest

    On Fri, 25 Aug 2006 08:16:27 -0400, Ronald Hands
    <""rhandsNOSPAM\"@mountaincable DOT net"> wrote:

    > wrote:
    >

    >> Now for the bad news.
    >> I only had one window open, was replying to a message on the yahoo
    >> groups (web version).
    >> CRASH CRASH CRASH.......... gone.....

    > I sympathize with you in your frustration.
    > But I'll also report that I have FF (the latest version) on three
    >computers, an old Pentium 133 with 64 meg of RAM and using Windows 98SE,
    >a Pentium III at 1 ghz with 512 mb of RAM and XP, and a laptop that uses
    >a Celeron at 1.5 ghz with 512 mb of RAM, using XP.
    > I can't recall that Firefox has ever crashed on any of these boxes.
    >(I only keep the Pentium 133 in use because it runs one ham radio
    >application for me.) There *must* be something peculiar in your setup
    >that is causing all your crashes.
    > I know you're dead-set against upgrades and prefer to stick with your
    >Model T (to use an automobile analogy), but if your system will handle
    >an upgrade to XP (probably not with your limited amount of RAM) then I
    >strongly urge you to go for it. XP is light years ahead of earlier
    >versions of Windows in stable, solid performance. I used to run a
    >dual-boot setup with Win 98SE in one partition and Linux in the other.
    >Windows 98SE was always fragile; Linux was rock solid. Since doing the
    >upgrade to XP, I've been able to eliminate the Linux partition and
    >reclaim the disk space. XP *is* that good!
    > I should add, in case any Linux aficionados are reading this, that I
    >loved Linux, but could never go to a 100% Linux setup because there were
    >always a few programs that were essential to me that only ran in Windows
    >(and I was too lazy to wrestle with the complications of a Windows
    >emulator).
    >
    >-- Ron

    This computer will never run XP. I decided to upgrade FF, which
    apparently was a mistake because the newer version crashes more often
    than the old. Even if this computer could handle XP, I'd not upgrade.
    I absolutely hate XP. Everytime I get on a computer with XP I find
    myself cursing Microsoft within 5 minutes. If I could afford a new
    computer, it would be a Macintosh, so I dont have to use any version
    of Windows or MS crap. At my former job, they tried to install XP on
    my computer, which was running WinME. I told them flat out. "If you
    want me to fight with that piece of shit for 8 hours a day, I expect a
    50% raise. Otherwise you can find a new employee". They left WinME
    on my machine and my computer was the only one in the office that was
    not screwed up half the time. I never understood the reason for the
    upgrade anyhow. We only ran three pieces of software specific to our
    job, and it was written for Win95. But I suppose MS gave them some
    "incentive" to upgrade.

    Anyhow, it appears that Firefox just wont work on this computer, so
    it's bon voyage to FF. IE has it's quirks and annoyances, but at
    least it dont crash other than the usual (expected) occasionally.
    Either that, or I'll completely remove FF and install the very first
    version I used. I dont recall the version #, but it worked well. I
    think it was .08 or something like that. Ever since I installed 1.0 I
    have had nothing but problems, and every newer version seems worse.

    Thanks

    KN

    , Aug 26, 2006
  20. Nicik Name Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > This is Firefox 1.0. It seems to crash more and more.
    > I am using Win98Se on an old Pentium 233 computer with 72 megs ram.
    > I clear the cache daily. It seems that once I open several tabs, I
    > crash.
    >
    > I also hacve IE 5.5 installed. While IE crashes occasionally, Firefox
    > crashes much more often. While I like the features of FF much better,
    > I am really sick of the crashing and find myself using IE most of the
    > time now. Maybe it's just time to get rid of FF because it seems to
    > have become useless.
    >
    > KN

    Time to get rid of the pentium 233 with only 72 megs unless
    Linux Red Hat ect

    Nicik Name, Sep 8, 2006