Firefox cookie problems?

Discussion in 'Firefox' started by Dave Garrett, Jan 24, 2005.

  1. Dave Garrett

    Dave Garrett Guest

    I'm using Firefox 1.0, and frequently access one of the forums at
    Invisionfree.com. The forums there use the cookie-based convention of
    highlighting icons to indicate unread or new posts/threads, and greying
    out those same icons to indicate read ones. Up until yesterday,
    everything was working fine with Firefox, but suddenly I can't get the
    icons to work properly - clicking on them manually to mark a forum or
    thread as read appears to work, then when I click on another one or
    refresh the page, the icons are randomly "re-highlighting".

    I've checked the cookies on my machine from this site, and deleted all
    of them then let the site recreate them, all to no avail. And I've
    confirmed with the owner of the forum in question that no changes were
    made on the server end, so it appears something has gone screwy with my
    install of Firefox. It did crash yesterday as I was attempting to close
    several browser windows with multiple tabs open.

    About the only thing I haven't tried yet is reinstalling Firefox. Does
    anyone have any ideas as to what may be causing this problem and what I
    can do to fix it?

    TIA,

    Dave
    Dave Garrett, Jan 24, 2005

  2. Dave Garrett

    Splibbilla Guest

    Dave Garrett <> in news:MPG.1c5e172762bd4141989f29@207.14.113.17:

    > I'm using Firefox 1.0,

    snip

    >so it appears something has gone screwy with my
    > install of Firefox. It did crash yesterday as I was attempting to close
    > several browser windows with multiple tabs open.
    >
    > About the only thing I haven't tried yet is reinstalling Firefox. Does
    > anyone have any ideas as to what may be causing this problem and what I
    > can do to fix it?

    i don't, but it might be easy to try clearing all of the cache & history type things.

    --
    WinMe, Moz 1.7.5, all profiles: GoogleBar, PrefBar, CopyURL, IEView, ,,, and??? some bugmenot.jar, sage.jar. Usually java off,
    js on. Might GoogleBar be "mergeable" with an (added) src chooser in PrefBar (v. 3.0, build date 20041224)?
    Splibbilla, Jan 24, 2005

  3. Dave Garrett

    Dave Garrett Guest

    In article <Xns95E7BDD7745507@64.85.239.19>,
    says...
    > Dave Garrett <> in news:MPG.1c5e172762bd4141989f29@207.14.113.17:

    > > I'm using Firefox 1.0,

    > snip
    >
    > >so it appears something has gone screwy with my
    > > install of Firefox. It did crash yesterday as I was attempting to close
    > > several browser windows with multiple tabs open.
    > >
    > > About the only thing I haven't tried yet is reinstalling Firefox. Does
    > > anyone have any ideas as to what may be causing this problem and what I
    > > can do to fix it?

    > i don't, but it might be easy to try clearing all of the cache & history type things.

    I tried that as well - unfortunately, it doesn't seem to have made any
    difference. What's weird is that only this particular site seems to be
    affected, so you'd think that flushing the cookies and starting over
    from scratch should fix the problem, but it hasn't.

    Dave
    Dave Garrett, Jan 24, 2005
  4. Dave Garrett wrote:
    > In article <Xns95E7BDD7745507@64.85.239.19>,
    > says...
    >
    >>Dave Garrett <> in news:MPG.1c5e172762bd4141989f29@207.14.113.17:

    >>>I'm using Firefox 1.0,

    >>snip
    >>

    >>>so it appears something has gone screwy with my
    >>>install of Firefox. It did crash yesterday as I was attempting to close
    >>>several browser windows with multiple tabs open.
    >>>
    >>>About the only thing I haven't tried yet is reinstalling Firefox. Does
    >>>anyone have any ideas as to what may be causing this problem and what I
    >>>can do to fix it?

    >>i don't, but it might be easy to try clearing all of the cache & history type things.

    > I tried that as well - unfortunately, it doesn't seem to have made any
    > difference. What's weird is that only this particular site seems to be
    > affected, so you'd think that flushing the cookies and starting over
    > from scratch should fix the problem, but it hasn't.
    >
    > Dave

    Okay, let me sure of this. You have cleared both cache and history, and
    deleted all cookies relating to this site? Then you return to the site
    and encounter exactly the same problems?

    Try creating a clean profile, and go to the site. Does it still misbehave?

    Lee
    Leonidas Jones, Jan 24, 2005
  5. Dave Garrett

    Dave Garrett Guest

    In article <2TfJd.21604$>,
    says...
    > Dave Garrett wrote:
    > > In article <Xns95E7BDD7745507@64.85.239.19>,
    > > says...
    > >>Dave Garrett <> in news:MPG.1c5e172762bd4141989f29@207.14.113.17:

    > >>snip

    > >>i don't, but it might be easy to try clearing all of the cache & history type things.

    > > I tried that as well - unfortunately, it doesn't seem to have made any
    > > difference. What's weird is that only this particular site seems to be
    > > affected, so you'd think that flushing the cookies and starting over
    > > from scratch should fix the problem, but it hasn't.
    > >
    > > Dave
    > >

    > Okay, let me sure of this. You have cleared both cache and history, and
    > deleted all cookies relating to this site? Then you return to the site
    > and encounter exactly the same problems?

    Yes, that is correct.

    > Try creating a clean profile, and go to the site. Does it still misbehave?

    I'll try that when I get a chance to, but now I'm starting to believe
    that the problem is with the site itself instead of browser-specific, as
    I fired up IE last night and accessed the site, only to encounter the
    same problems I was having with Firefox.

    Dave
    Dave Garrett, Jan 25, 2005
  6. Dave Garrett wrote:
    > In article <2TfJd.21604$>,
    > says...
    >
    >>Dave Garrett wrote:
    >>
    >>>In article <Xns95E7BDD7745507@64.85.239.19>,
    >>> says...

    >>>I tried that as well - unfortunately, it doesn't seem to have made any
    >>>difference. What's weird is that only this particular site seems to be
    >>>affected, so you'd think that flushing the cookies and starting over
    >>>from scratch should fix the problem, but it hasn't.
    >>>
    >>>Dave
    >>>

    >>Okay, let me sure of this. You have cleared both cache and history, and
    >>deleted all cookies relating to this site? Then you return to the site
    >>and encounter exactly the same problems?

    > Yes, that is correct.
    >

    >>Try creating a clean profile, and go to the site. Does it still misbehave?

    > I'll try that when I get a chance to, but now I'm starting to believe
    > that the problem is with the site itself instead of browser-specific, as
    > I fired up IE last night and accessed the site, only to encounter the
    > same problems I was having with Firefox.
    >
    > Dave

    Clear IE's cookies and cache and see if it functions. If its still not
    working, it probably is the site.

    Lee
    Leonidas Jones, Jan 25, 2005