    Jim & Pat Leder
    http://home.fuse.net/k8cxm
    *********************************
    Jim Leder, Jan 26, 2005

  2. On 1/26/2005 1:51 PM, Jim Leder said:
    > I have seen much discussion about Firefox 1.0 and the 'connection was
    > refused when attempting to contact ---', but I haven't really seen a
    > solution yet. I get it on some web sites, sporadically. I can try to open a
    > link and get the error message but trying the link a second time in a row
    > usually gets me in OK. Has anyone figured this one out yet? Thanks.

    Aren't connections refused at the server end, not at the browser?
    Strikes me that there's not much the Firefox coders could do about that...

    cheers,

    David H
    David Harrison, Jan 26, 2005

  3. Jim Leder

    Jim Leder Guest

    I would think so also, but it is consistent on certain websites and IE6
    doesn't have the same problem with those websites. Almost seems like some
    sort of timing problem with Firefox or IE is handling the condition
    different allowing it to work. Not sure what that would be though.
    Guess the IE coders did something different.

    Jim Leder, Jan 26, 2005
  4. Jim Leder

    Moz Champion Guest

    Jim Leder wrote:

    > I would think so also, but it is consistent on certain websites and IE6
    > doesn't have the same problem with those websites. Almost seems like some
    > sort of timing problem with Firefox or IE is handling the condition
    > different allowing it to work. Not sure what that would be though.
    > Guess the IE coders did something different.
    >
    > "David Harrison" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>On 1/26/2005 1:51 PM, Jim Leder said:
    >>
    >>> I have seen much discussion about Firefox 1.0 and the 'connection was
    >>>refused when attempting to contact ---', but I haven't really seen a
    >>>solution yet. I get it on some web sites, sporadically. I can try to open
    >>>a link and get the error message but trying the link a second time in a
    >>>row usually gets me in OK. Has anyone figured this one out yet? Thanks.
    >>>

    >>Aren't connections refused at the server end, not at the browser? Strikes
    >>me that there's not much the Firefox coders could do about that...
    >>
    >>cheers,
    >>
    >>David H

    Um, if you provided the sites where it doesnt work with Firefox, and
    does with IE, maybe then we could have a look-see. To see if its a
    server issue or something local to you, or even the program.

    --
    Mozilla Champion
    UFAQ - http://www.UFAQ.org
    Moz Champion, Jan 27, 2005
  5. Jim Leder

    Jim Leder Guest

    The one that gives me the most trouble is www.wcpo.com/wcpo . Half the time
    it works, half the time it doesn't. IE works with it 100% of the time. I
    have been browsing through http://forums.mozillazine.org/ and it looks like
    I'm not the only one seeing this problem. Many others have reported it with
    no one solution, but several suggestions that may help. I have put several
    of them in place, and it still fails, but now not as often. If I had to
    guess, I'd say that if the cache is empty and the page is slow to respond
    (site busy) FF doesn't wait long enough but instead it comes up with a catch
    all message 'connection refused'. Just a wild guess.
    Please don't misunderstand me: I like FF much better than IE. I'm just
    trying to get a handle on this problem.
    Thanks...

    Jim Leder, Jan 28, 2005
  6. Jim Leder

    mike555 Guest

    --- snip---
    =========== You might try the ext. "User Agent Switcher" , it seams
    to help .... I put it on IE6 and get less trouble with connections ..
    =====
    mike555, Jan 29, 2005
  7. Jim Leder

    Moz Champion Guest

    Jim Leder wrote:
    > The one that gives me the most trouble is www.wcpo.com/wcpo . Half the time
    > it works, half the time it doesn't. IE works with it 100% of the time. I
    > have been browsing through http://forums.mozillazine.org/ and it looks like
    > I'm not the only one seeing this problem. Many others have reported it with
    > no one solution, but several suggestions that may help. I have put several
    > of them in place, and it still fails, but now not as often. If I had to
    > guess, I'd say that if the cache is empty and the page is slow to respond
    > (site busy) FF doesn't wait long enough but instead it comes up with a catch
    > all message 'connection refused'. Just a wild guess.
    > Please don't misunderstand me: I like FF much better than IE. I'm just
    > trying to get a handle on this problem.
    > Thanks...
    >
    > "Moz Champion" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Jim Leder wrote:
    >>

    >>>I would think so also, but it is consistent on certain websites and IE6
    >>>doesn't have the same problem with those websites. Almost seems like some
    >>>sort of timing problem with Firefox or IE is handling the condition
    >>>different allowing it to work. Not sure what that would be though.
    >>> Guess the IE coders did something different.
    >>>
    >>>"David Harrison" <> wrote in
    >>>message news:41f7a59a$0$73814$...

    >>Um, if you provided the sites where it doesnt work with Firefox, and does
    >>with IE, maybe then we could have a look-see. To see if its a server issue
    >>or something local to you, or even the program.
    >>
    >>--
    >>Mozilla Champion
    >>UFAQ - http://www.UFAQ.org
    >>Mozilla Champions - http://mozillachampions.mozdev.org
    >>Mozilla Manual - http://mozmanual.mozdev.org/

    It would be appreciatted if you bottom-posted

    Works fine here, on both the suite and Firefox
    If I cant recreate the error, then its likely that the problem is not
    program specific, but either site or setup.

    Since it works for you some of the time, then that suggests that its
    site (or site related) - maybe your routing to the site?

    --
    Mozilla Champion
    UFAQ - http://www.UFAQ.org
    Moz Champion, Jan 30, 2005