Firefox comments and questions?

Discussion in 'Firefox' started by Noozer, Apr 20, 2004.

  1. Noozer

    Noozer Guest

    Hey all!

    Is this *the* newsgroup for discussing Firefox concerns, bugs and feature
    requests?

    What I need to know is (Firefox 0.8 on WinXP):

    - How do I tell Firefox *NOT* to use Quicktime for MPG files? (or how do I
    select what app for what filetype?) Options->Downloads only has "MPEG" and
    it's already set for MediaPlayer, which is what I want, yet MPG files open
    in Quicktime.

    - Any way to swap SHIFT-CLICK and SHIFT-CTRL-CLICK? I prefer opening in tabs
    to opening in new windows, but I'm in th habit of SHIFT click.

    - When I try to save a bookmark, it never seems to save. For example, I just
    chose to add a bookmark and in the group dropdown it shows some groups, but
    not all - and there's no scrollbar... For example, there is no "Imported IE
    Favorites" group.

    - Any chance for VBScript to be properly supported?

    - Where are the configuration files kept? Are these user editable for
    settings that do not appear in the Options window?

    Thx!
    Noozer, Apr 20, 2004

  2. Noozer

    .BRIAN. Guest

    On 4/20/2004 1:27 AM Noozer wrote:
    > - How do I tell Firefox *NOT* to use Quicktime for MPG files? (or how do I
    > select what app for what filetype?) Options->Downloads only has "MPEG" and
    > it's already set for MediaPlayer, which is what I want, yet MPG files open
    > in Quicktime.

    Tell Quicktime to quit stealing the file association--change the setting
    in the Quicktime control panel.

    > - Any way to swap SHIFT-CLICK and SHIFT-CTRL-CLICK? I prefer opening in tabs
    > to opening in new windows, but I'm in th habit of SHIFT click.

    I don't know. Do you have a scroll-mouse? Click the scroll-wheel to
    open a link in a tab. That's even easier than using the keyboard and mouse.

    > - When I try to save a bookmark, it never seems to save. For example, I just
    > chose to add a bookmark and in the group dropdown it shows some groups, but
    > not all - and there's no scrollbar... For example, there is no "Imported IE
    > Favorites" group.

    I really don't understand what you are having problems with here. No,
    there isn't a scrollbar in Mozilla's bookmarks--don't believe there ever
    has been one either--it uses arrows. Did you pay attention to the drop
    down box that says "Create in..." when you added the bookmark? Did you
    import the "IE Favorites"?

    > - Any chance for VBScript to be properly supported?

    LOL.

    > - Where are the configuration files kept? Are these user editable for
    > settings that do not appear in the Options window?

    In WindowsXP, look in %appdata%\Firefox -- You didn't say specifically
    what it is you're looking for.

    BTW, if you are using WindowsXP, you haven't installed the latest
    Critical Updates...

    Brian

    Email Info -
    http://68.1.17.8/p0nykiller/email.htm
    .BRIAN., Apr 20, 2004

  3. Noozer

    Noozer Guest

    Thanks for the reply...

    ".BRIAN." <USER@127.0.0.1> wrote in message
    > On 4/20/2004 1:27 AM Noozer wrote:
    > > - How do I tell Firefox *NOT* to use Quicktime for MPG files? (or how do

    > > select what app for what filetype?) Options->Downloads only has "MPEG"

    and
    > > it's already set for MediaPlayer, which is what I want, yet MPG files

    open
    > > in Quicktime.

    > Tell Quicktime to quit stealing the file association--change the setting
    > in the Quicktime control panel.

    Thought the same thing, but MPG files open in Windows MediaPlayer EVERYWHERE
    else. Only Firefox insists on using QTime for these files.

    > > - Any way to swap SHIFT-CLICK and SHIFT-CTRL-CLICK? I prefer opening in

    tabs
    > > to opening in new windows, but I'm in th habit of SHIFT click.

    > I don't know. Do you have a scroll-mouse? Click the scroll-wheel to
    > open a link in a tab. That's even easier than using the keyboard and

    mouse.

    Ooo.. Didn't know that!!! Doesn't work with my MX700 though (middle button
    is set to "middle button" in software) Drat!

    > > - When I try to save a bookmark, it never seems to save. For example, I

    just
    > > chose to add a bookmark and in the group dropdown it shows some groups,

    but
    > > not all - and there's no scrollbar... For example, there is no "Imported

    IE
    > > Favorites" group.

    > I really don't understand what you are having problems with here. No,
    > there isn't a scrollbar in Mozilla's bookmarks--don't believe there ever
    > has been one either--it uses arrows. Did you pay attention to the drop
    > down box that says "Create in..." when you added the bookmark? Did you
    > import the "IE Favorites"?

    The Create In... list shows just a few folders and there's no logic (that I
    have noticed) that determines which folders that list shows. I did import
    the IE Favourites, and they are listed in the bookmarks, but why aren't they
    listed in the Create In... list?

    > > - Any chance for VBScript to be properly supported?

    > LOL.

    That's the only thing stopping us from using this browser widespread at the
    office. (700+ employees). I don't know the mechanics of how it works, but
    aren't there common DLLs that FireFox could access (at least in the Windows
    version) for VBScript support?

    > > - Where are the configuration files kept? Are these user editable for
    > > settings that do not appear in the Options window?

    > In WindowsXP, look in %appdata%\Firefox -- You didn't say specifically
    > what it is you're looking for.

    > BTW, if you are using WindowsXP, you haven't installed the latest
    > Critical Updates...

    What should I be seeing? I wait at least a week or two before new updates
    come out. Don't want the Win2K3 server SSL broken, nor a busted firewall,
    etc...
    Noozer, Apr 20, 2004
  4. Noozer

    .BRIAN. Guest

    On 4/20/2004 4:30 AM Noozer wrote:

    >>BTW, if you are using WindowsXP, you haven't installed the latest
    >>Critical Updates...

    > What should I be seeing? I wait at least a week or two before new updates
    > come out. Don't want the Win2K3 server SSL broken, nor a busted firewall,
    > etc...

    The OE critical update should put your version to 1409.

    Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2800.1409

    .BRIAN., Apr 21, 2004