Firefox: Changing favicons in Bookmarks Toolbar

Discussion in 'Firefox' started by dino, Jan 4, 2007.

  1. dino

    dino Guest

    I have a selection of frequently visited sites in my Bookmarks Toolbar.
    Some of them have favicons. When I initially added the Bookmarks there
    were none displayed (just the default). When I visited the sites a few
    times they changed and displayed the site's specific favicon

    Recently I've noticed that two of them have changed again. The favicon
    currently displayed isn't related to the bookmarked site. One of them
    has picked up the favicon of one of the other bookmarked sites and the
    other has picked up the Google favicon from the search bar.

    Is there an easy way to clear these two favicons and get them to reset
    back to the site's proper one?

    The first favicon changed a couple of months ago and the second a couple
    of weeks ago.

    I'm using FF version 2.0.0.1

    (Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-GB; rv:1.8.1.1)
    Gecko/20061204 Firefox/2.0.0.1)
    dino, Jan 4, 2007

  2. dino

    Ralph Fox Guest

    On Thu, 04 Jan 2007 14:04:02 +0000, in message <>,
    dino wrote:

    > I have a selection of frequently visited sites in my Bookmarks Toolbar.
    > Some of them have favicons. When I initially added the Bookmarks there
    > were none displayed (just the default). When I visited the sites a few
    > times they changed and displayed the site's specific favicon
    >
    > Recently I've noticed that two of them have changed again. The favicon
    > currently displayed isn't related to the bookmarked site. One of them
    > has picked up the favicon of one of the other bookmarked sites and the
    > other has picked up the Google favicon from the search bar.

    I have seen this happen occasionally when I click on one bookmark,
    and then before the page has finished loading (and before its favicon
    is loaded) I click away to a second bookmark icon. Occasionally,
    the first page's favicon gets attached to the second bookmark.

    > Is there an easy way to clear these two favicons and get them to reset
    > back to the site's proper one?

    Perhaps this extension might be useful.
    https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/3176/

    I have just deleted and recreated the bookmark, like so.
    1. Click bookmark to go to page
    2. Delete bookmark
    3. Drag icon from URL bar into bookmarks

    --
    Cheers,
    Ralph
    Ralph Fox, Jan 6, 2007

  3. dino

    dino Guest

    Ralph Fox wrote:

    > Perhaps this extension might be useful.
    > https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/3176/

    I've just downloaded and installed that bookmark. It's good and I like
    it. I'm not sure if it will prevent the problem appearing again but it's
    useful for sites that don't have favicons to help differentiate on the
    Bookmarks Toolbar

    > I have just deleted and recreated the bookmark, like so.
    > 1. Click bookmark to go to page
    > 2. Delete bookmark
    > 3. Drag icon from URL bar into bookmarks

    I ended up doing that too as there were only two affected Bookmarks. Was
    mainly curious as to why it happened in the first place so your
    explanation seems to have cleared that up.

    Thanks for the help
    dino, Jan 6, 2007