Firefox cannot sort large bookmarks file

Discussion in 'Firefox' started by Renan, Dec 29, 2005.

  1. Renan

    Renan Guest

    Hello,

    I have a bookmarks file with ~1600 entries (been accumulating for a few
    years, and only delete stuff when it is 404).
    But, Firefox seems to hang while sorting the bookmark file
    alphabetically.

    Any hints (or any other external programs to sort bookmarks?)
    --
    []s, Renan "Wishmaster" - Canoas, RS, Brasil
    Renan, Dec 29, 2005
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Renan wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > I have a bookmarks file with ~1600 entries (been accumulating for a few
    > years, and only delete stuff when it is 404).
    > But, Firefox seems to hang while sorting the bookmark file
    > alphabetically.
    >
    > Any hints (or any other external programs to sort bookmarks?)


    I don't know enough about your situation, but my first suggestion would
    be to sort your bookmarks into folders by topic, then sort the contents
    of the folders.

    1600 bookmarks!! ;)

    As an aside, in the very early days of Mozilla development, way pre
    suite 1.0, there was a lively discussion about whether bookmarks should
    be included in the new browser at all! A number of developers felt that
    the progress of search engines was making bookmarks obsolete.

    I probably have 300 hundred or so, but many I have stopped checking. In
    many cases, it is faster to Google. I'm glad they left bookmarks in, but
    I can see the point.

    Lee
    Leonidas Jones, Dec 29, 2005
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Renan

    gwtc Guest

    Leonidas Jones wrote:

    > Renan wrote:
    >
    >>Hello,
    >>
    >>I have a bookmarks file with ~1600 entries (been accumulating for a few
    >>years, and only delete stuff when it is 404).
    >>But, Firefox seems to hang while sorting the bookmark file
    >>alphabetically.
    >>
    >>Any hints (or any other external programs to sort bookmarks?)

    >
    >
    > I don't know enough about your situation, but my first suggestion would
    > be to sort your bookmarks into folders by topic, then sort the contents
    > of the folders.
    >
    > 1600 bookmarks!! ;)
    >
    > As an aside, in the very early days of Mozilla development, way pre
    > suite 1.0, there was a lively discussion about whether bookmarks should
    > be included in the new browser at all! A number of developers felt that
    > the progress of search engines was making bookmarks obsolete.
    >
    > I probably have 300 hundred or so, but many I have stopped checking. In
    > many cases, it is faster to Google. I'm glad they left bookmarks in, but
    > I can see the point.
    >
    > Lee

    in my main bookmark file I have over 3,000 of them. In Moz 1.7.12, it
    gives me the option of opening other bookmark files. If I add all
    them together I would have over 5,000 of them. Thats why I broke them
    down.

    I sure hope SM gives me that option to be able to open other bookmark
    files. FF doesn't. Thats why I don't use it.

    Oh yea, if you're wondering how to do it, its from the Bookmark
    Manager, and Tools, Open Bookmark File.
    gwtc, Dec 29, 2005
    #3
  4. gwtc wrote:
    > Leonidas Jones wrote:
    >
    >> Renan wrote:
    >>


    /snip/

    > in my main bookmark file I have over 3,000 of them. In Moz 1.7.12, it
    > gives me the option of opening other bookmark files. If I add all them
    > together I would have over 5,000 of them. Thats why I broke them down.
    >
    > I sure hope SM gives me that option to be able to open other bookmark
    > files. FF doesn't. Thats why I don't use it.
    >
    > Oh yea, if you're wondering how to do it, its from the Bookmark Manager,
    > and Tools, Open Bookmark File.


    I have good news then, its still in SeaMonkey 1.0B, and will be in the
    release!

    Lee
    Leonidas Jones, Dec 29, 2005
    #4
  5. Renan

    gwtc Guest

    Leonidas Jones wrote:

    > gwtc wrote:
    >
    >>Leonidas Jones wrote:
    >>
    >>
    >>>Renan wrote:
    >>>

    >
    >
    > /snip/
    >
    >
    >>in my main bookmark file I have over 3,000 of them. In Moz 1.7.12, it
    >>gives me the option of opening other bookmark files. If I add all them
    >>together I would have over 5,000 of them. Thats why I broke them down.
    >>
    >>I sure hope SM gives me that option to be able to open other bookmark
    >>files. FF doesn't. Thats why I don't use it.
    >>
    >>Oh yea, if you're wondering how to do it, its from the Bookmark Manager,
    >>and Tools, Open Bookmark File.

    >
    >
    > I have good news then, its still in SeaMonkey 1.0B, and will be in the
    > release!
    >
    > Lee

    Good, then I'll be waiting in anticipation for the Final Release.
    gwtc, Dec 29, 2005
    #5
  6. gwtc wrote:
    > Leonidas Jones wrote:
    >
    >> gwtc wrote:
    >>
    >>> Leonidas Jones wrote:
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>> Renan wrote:
    >>>>

    >>
    >>
    >> /snip/
    >>
    >>
    >>> in my main bookmark file I have over 3,000 of them. In Moz 1.7.12,
    >>> it gives me the option of opening other bookmark files. If I add all
    >>> them together I would have over 5,000 of them. Thats why I broke
    >>> them down.
    >>>
    >>> I sure hope SM gives me that option to be able to open other bookmark
    >>> files. FF doesn't. Thats why I don't use it.
    >>>
    >>> Oh yea, if you're wondering how to do it, its from the Bookmark
    >>> Manager, and Tools, Open Bookmark File.

    >>
    >>
    >> I have good news then, its still in SeaMonkey 1.0B, and will be in the
    >> release!
    >>
    >> Lee

    > Good, then I'll be waiting in anticipation for the Final Release.


    Should be sometime in January.

    Lee
    Leonidas Jones, Dec 29, 2005
    #6
  7. Renan

    gwtc Guest

    Leonidas Jones wrote:

    > gwtc wrote:
    >
    >>Leonidas Jones wrote:
    >>
    >>
    >>>gwtc wrote:
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>>Leonidas Jones wrote:
    >>>>
    >>>>
    >>>>
    >>>>>Renan wrote:
    >>>>>
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>/snip/
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>>in my main bookmark file I have over 3,000 of them. In Moz 1.7.12,
    >>>>it gives me the option of opening other bookmark files. If I add all
    >>>>them together I would have over 5,000 of them. Thats why I broke
    >>>>them down.
    >>>>
    >>>>I sure hope SM gives me that option to be able to open other bookmark
    >>>>files. FF doesn't. Thats why I don't use it.
    >>>>
    >>>>Oh yea, if you're wondering how to do it, its from the Bookmark
    >>>>Manager, and Tools, Open Bookmark File.
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>I have good news then, its still in SeaMonkey 1.0B, and will be in the
    >>>release!
    >>>
    >>>Lee

    >>
    >>Good, then I'll be waiting in anticipation for the Final Release.

    >
    >
    > Should be sometime in January.
    >
    > Lee

    sounds exciting
    gwtc, Dec 29, 2005
    #7
  8. Renan

    Renan Guest

    At date Thu, 29 Dec 2005 04:50:53 GMT, Leonidas Jones ()
    wrote in article <NWJsf.201924$qk4.167226@bgtnsc05-
    news.ops.worldnet.att.net>, for newsgroup alt.fan.mozilla:

    > I don't know enough about your situation, but my first suggestion would
    > be to sort your bookmarks into folders by topic, then sort the contents
    > of the folders.
    >
    > 1600 bookmarks!! ;)


    Would take too much time. And I have bookmarks that don't fit anywhere.

    > I probably have 300 hundred or so, but many I have stopped checking. In
    > many cases, it is faster to Google. I'm glad they left bookmarks in, but
    > I can see the point.


    I don't think so. For me, is faster to go to a bookmark than search the
    web.
    --
    Thanks, Renan(tm) - Canoas, RS, Brazil.

    "This is the Heisenberg operating system:
    you are logged in and logged off at the same time.
    Renan, Dec 30, 2005
    #8
  9. Renan wrote:

    >At date Thu, 29 Dec 2005 04:50:53 GMT, Leonidas Jones ()
    >wrote in article <NWJsf.201924$qk4.167226@bgtnsc05-
    >news.ops.worldnet.att.net>, for newsgroup alt.fan.mozilla:
    >
    >
    >
    >>I don't know enough about your situation, but my first suggestion would
    >>be to sort your bookmarks into folders by topic, then sort the contents
    >> of the folders.
    >>
    >>1600 bookmarks!! ;)
    >>
    >>

    >
    >Would take too much time. And I have bookmarks that don't fit anywhere.
    >
    >
    >
    >>I probably have 300 hundred or so, but many I have stopped checking. In
    >>many cases, it is faster to Google. I'm glad they left bookmarks in, but
    >>I can see the point.
    >>
    >>

    >
    >I don't think so. For me, is faster to go to a bookmark than search the
    >web.
    >
    >

    ?? Cant figure this out

    from your original post
    "But, Firefox seems to hang while sorting the bookmark file
    alphabetically. "

    from the above post
    "For me, is faster to go to a bookmark than search the web."

    If your bookmarks are unsorted, and NOT in folders then just finding the
    bookmark in the list of 1600 would take longer than using a search
    engine, so what exactly are you gaining?
    Moz Champion (Dan), Dec 30, 2005
    #9
  10. Renan

    Renan Guest

    At date Fri, 30 Dec 2005 03:46:47 GMT, Moz Champion (Dan)
    () wrote in article <H42tf.377667$zb5.94701
    @bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net>, for newsgroup alt.fan.mozilla:

    > from your original post
    > "But, Firefox seems to hang while sorting the bookmark file
    > alphabetically. "
    >
    > from the above post
    > "For me, is faster to go to a bookmark than search the web."
    >
    > If your bookmarks are unsorted, and NOT in folders then just finding the
    > bookmark in the list of 1600 would take longer than using a search
    > engine, so what exactly are you gaining?


    I search within the bookmarks.
    --
    Thanks, Renan(tm) - Canoas, RS, Brazil.

    "This is the Heisenberg operating system:
    you are logged in and logged off at the same time.
    Renan, Dec 31, 2005
    #10
  11. Renan wrote:

    >At date Fri, 30 Dec 2005 03:46:47 GMT, Moz Champion (Dan)
    >() wrote in article <H42tf.377667$zb5.94701
    >@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net>, for newsgroup alt.fan.mozilla:
    >
    >
    >
    >>from your original post
    >>"But, Firefox seems to hang while sorting the bookmark file
    >>alphabetically. "
    >>
    >>from the above post
    >>"For me, is faster to go to a bookmark than search the web."
    >>
    >>If your bookmarks are unsorted, and NOT in folders then just finding the
    >>bookmark in the list of 1600 would take longer than using a search
    >>engine, so what exactly are you gaining?
    >>
    >>

    >
    >I search within the bookmarks.
    >
    >

    A Google search takes a second or two, so exactly what are you gaining?
    Moz Champion (Dan), Dec 31, 2005
    #11
  12. Renan

    Z Guest

    Moz Champion (Dan) wrote:
    > A Google search takes a second or two, so exactly what are you gaining?


    Some of my bookmarks point to pages that Google will never find.
    Z, Dec 31, 2005
    #12
  13. Z wrote:

    > Moz Champion (Dan) wrote:
    >
    >> A Google search takes a second or two, so exactly what are you gaining?

    >
    >
    > Some of my bookmarks point to pages that Google will never find.


    Nothing like editing out all semblance of context.

    Of course! Google is good, but is not the ONLY way to search. Thats the
    entire idea of having both Bookmarks AND Search capabilities
    Moz Champion (Dan), Jan 3, 2006
    #13
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. RAV
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    469
  2. --BRIAN--
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    483
    Adrian
    Sep 29, 2004
  3. Chaos Master
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    442
    Chaos Master
    Sep 29, 2004
  4. John David Galt
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    460
    Galen
    Oct 9, 2004
  5. Bucky
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    643
    Roland de Ruiter
    Sep 2, 2006
Loading...

Share This Page