    "Compressed file" support is enabled in Windows on both desktops.

    How do I correct this failure to download? I'm tired of having to
    fire up IE if I find a ZIP file I want to grab.
    Tom, Nov 28, 2004

  2. Tom

    Tom K. Guest

    Upon revisiting the problem, I see more things that need to be said.

    First, it's the "OK" button that is dimmed and won't click for ZIP
    files but will for others. Doesn't matter if I have punched the Save
    or Open radio button.

    Second, I see that on my laptop the File Types section of the Tools |
    Options | Downloads window is heavily populated with recognized file
    types (including two entries for ZIP). On the desktop installation,
    the File Types section has nothing at all in it.

    Tom

    Tom K., Nov 28, 2004

  3. Tom wrote:
    > On a recent vacation home desktop installation of Firefox, the action
    > buttons (Save, Run) in the download window are dimmed out for ZIP
    > files. They're available for EXE, PDF, etc.
    >
    > My laptop installation works okay. So does an installation on my main
    > home desktop. Both desktops run WinMe, but I can't do much comparison
    > of settings since the working one is 2300 miles away. (The laptop has
    > Win2K.)
    >
    > "Compressed file" support is enabled in Windows on both desktops.
    >
    > How do I correct this failure to download? I'm tired of having to
    > fire up IE if I find a ZIP file I want to grab.

    I download zip files quite frequently with Firefox, and have no problem.

    For example, last night, I downloaded Sunbitd, the standalone calendar:

    http://www.mozilla.org/projects/calendar/sunbird_download.html

    When I click on the link, Download Manager opens, and presents me with a
    choice to open the file, or save it to disk. You find these greyed out?

    Try Tools>>Options>>Downloads>>File Types.

    Is there a reference there to .zip files? IF so, delete it and try again.

    Lee
    Leonidas Jones, Nov 28, 2004
  4. Tom K. wrote:
    > Upon revisiting the problem, I see more things that need to be said.
    >
    > First, it's the "OK" button that is dimmed and won't click for ZIP
    > files but will for others. Doesn't matter if I have punched the Save
    > or Open radio button.
    >
    > Second, I see that on my laptop the File Types section of the Tools |
    > Options | Downloads window is heavily populated with recognized file
    > types (including two entries for ZIP). On the desktop installation,
    > the File Types section has nothing at all in it.
    >
    > Tom
    >

    > On Sun, 28 Nov 2004 08:47:58 -0700, Tom <> wrote:
    >

    >>On a recent vacation home desktop installation of Firefox, the action
    >>buttons (Save, Run) in the download window are dimmed out for ZIP
    >>files. They're available for EXE, PDF, etc.
    >>
    >>My laptop installation works okay. So does an installation on my main
    >>home desktop. Both desktops run WinMe, but I can't do much comparison
    >>of settings since the working one is 2300 miles away. (The laptop has
    >>Win2K.)
    >>
    >>"Compressed file" support is enabled in Windows on both desktops.
    >>
    >>How do I correct this failure to download? I'm tired of having to
    >>fire up IE if I find a ZIP file I want to grab.

    As in my earlier post, remove the references to.zip and try again. I
    suspect you have two conflicting entrys.

    Lee
    Leonidas Jones, Nov 28, 2004
  5. Tom

    Tom K. Guest

    Thanks, Leonidas.

    There's no entry for ZIP or anything in the File Types in the Download
    Options window.

    But here's a further insight--

    My wife and I have separate profiles for Windows and thus for Firefox.
    When I connect as her, I can download the ZIP files just fine (the OK
    button is NOT dimmed for her configuration). There's nothing listed
    under File Types in the Download Options for her either.

    I'm considering creating another Firefox user profile and copying over
    my bookmarks to it. I just hate to take the backdoor to a solution.
    I prefer to learn a bit...

    Tom K., Nov 29, 2004
  6. Tom K. wrote:
    > Thanks, Leonidas.
    >
    > There's no entry for ZIP or anything in the File Types in the Download
    > Options window.
    >
    > But here's a further insight--
    >
    > My wife and I have separate profiles for Windows and thus for Firefox.
    > When I connect as her, I can download the ZIP files just fine (the OK
    > button is NOT dimmed for her configuration). There's nothing listed
    > under File Types in the Download Options for her either.
    >
    > I'm considering creating another Firefox user profile and copying over
    > my bookmarks to it. I just hate to take the backdoor to a solution.
    > I prefer to learn a bit...
    >

    > On Sun, 28 Nov 2004 17:42:41 GMT, Leonidas Jones <>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>Tom wrote:
    >>
    >>>On a recent vacation home desktop installation of Firefox, the action
    >>>buttons (Save, Run) in the download window are dimmed out for ZIP
    >>>files. They're available for EXE, PDF, etc.
    >>>
    >>>My laptop installation works okay. So does an installation on my main
    >>>home desktop. Both desktops run WinMe, but I can't do much comparison
    >>>of settings since the working one is 2300 miles away. (The laptop has
    >>>Win2K.)
    >>>
    >>>"Compressed file" support is enabled in Windows on both desktops.
    >>>
    >>>How do I correct this failure to download? I'm tired of having to
    >>>fire up IE if I find a ZIP file I want to grab.
    >>>

    >>I download zip files quite frequently with Firefox, and have no problem.
    >>
    >>For example, last night, I downloaded Sunbitd, the standalone calendar:
    >>
    >>http://www.mozilla.org/projects/calendar/sunbird_download.html
    >>
    >>When I click on the link, Download Manager opens, and presents me with a
    >>choice to open the file, or save it to disk. You find these greyed out?
    >>
    >>Try Tools>>Options>>Downloads>>File Types.
    >>
    >>Is there a reference there to .zip files? IF so, delete it and try again.
    >>
    >>Lee

    Wait a minute:

    "Second, I see that on my laptop the File Types section of the Tools |
    Options | Downloads window is heavily populated with recognized file
    types (including two entries for ZIP)"

    You posted this earlier. This gave me the impression that you had zip
    entries. What's the real story?

    Lee
    Leonidas Jones, Nov 29, 2004
  7. Tom

    Tom K. Guest

    I was comparing the laptop settings (in which everything works) with
    my own desktop settings (in which ZIP downloads have no clickable "OK"
    to get them started). The heavily populated "File Types" window on
    the laptop was an obvious (but I now believe totally immaterial)
    difference with the totally empty "File Types" window on the desktop.

    I say "totally immaterial" since on the desktop another user's
    settings also have an empty "File Types" window but that user has a
    fully clickable "OK" with ZIP downloads.

    I've compared both profiles looking for differences but have found
    none yet.

    Tom

    Tom K., Nov 30, 2004
  8. Tom

    Tom K. Guest

    Never mind.

    I found a way to fix the problem.
    Tom K., Nov 30, 2004
  9. Tom K. wrote:
    > Never mind.
    >
    > I found a way to fix the problem.

    Could you enlighten us as to what solved the problem, so that we might
    better advise others?

    Lee
    Leonidas Jones, Dec 1, 2004