    loaded completely from cache with no need to download data. So can this
    be done and if so where is the setting, at the moment I can only find
    the setting for cache size.

    rolling, Mar 23, 2005

  2. rolling

    Thor Guest

    rolling wrote:

    > For the life of me I can't find a way to set my firefox browser to load
    > pages directly from cache, with ie you could set checking of newer
    > versions of stored pages to never and therefore a webpage would be
    > loaded completely from cache with no need to download data. So can this
    > be done and if so where is the setting, at the moment I can only find
    > the setting for cache size.

    Not something I've ever thought of doing, but would setting the proxy server
    to local host do what you want ?

    --
    *~~~~~~~~~~Thor

    Thor, Mar 23, 2005

  3. rolling said the following on 23/03/2005 3:05 p.m.:
    > For the life of me I can't find a way to set my firefox browser to load
    > pages directly from cache, with ie you could set checking of newer
    > versions of stored pages to never and therefore a webpage would be
    > loaded completely from cache with no need to download data. So can this
    > be done and if so where is the setting, at the moment I can only find
    > the setting for cache size.

    Bugger me days you are right cache control features other than size have
    disapeared.

    Collector»NZ, Mar 23, 2005
  4. rolling

    Allistar Guest

    Thor wrote:

    > rolling wrote:
    >
    >> For the life of me I can't find a way to set my firefox browser to load
    >> pages directly from cache, with ie you could set checking of newer
    >> versions of stored pages to never and therefore a webpage would be
    >> loaded completely from cache with no need to download data. So can this
    >> be done and if so where is the setting, at the moment I can only find
    >> the setting for cache size.

    > Not something I've ever thought of doing, but would setting the proxy
    > server to local host do what you want ?

    Only if you're actually running a proxy server (like Squid) on your local
    machine, I would have thought.

    Allistar.

    Allistar, Mar 23, 2005
  5. rolling

    Ralph Fox Guest

    On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 15:05:29 +1200, in message
    <>, rolling wrote:

    > For the life of me I can't find a way to set my firefox browser to load
    > pages directly from cache, with ie you could set checking of newer
    > versions of stored pages to never and therefore a webpage would be
    > loaded completely from cache with no need to download data. So can this
    > be done and if so where is the setting, at the moment I can only find
    > the setting for cache size.

    1. In Firefox, enter this into the URL bar
    about:config
    2. When the about:config page has loaded,
    search for the line whose "Preference Name" is
    browser.cache.check_doc_frequency
    3. The number in the "Value" column gives the setting...
    0 = Once per session
    1 = Each time
    2 = Never
    3 = Automatically
    4. To change the setting, right-click on the line and choose "Modify"
    from the pop-up menu.

    The Mozilla Suite has a proper GUI preferences dialog for this setting,
    but Firefox (by itself) does not. (I don't know whether the "preferential"
    extension http://preferential.mozdev.org/ adds one to Firefox).

    --
    Cheers,
    Ralph

    somewhere else." -- Sam Walton

    Ralph Fox, Mar 23, 2005
  6. rolling said the following on 23/03/2005 3:05 p.m.:
    > For the life of me I can't find a way to set my firefox browser to load
    > pages directly from cache, with ie you could set checking of newer
    > versions of stored pages to never and therefore a webpage would be
    > loaded completely from cache with no need to download data. So can this
    > be done and if so where is the setting, at the moment I can only find
    > the setting for cache size.

    Okay it can be done but it is obscure.

    in the address bar type "about:config" (sans quotes of course)
    use the filter option to filter by "cache"
    and low and behold all the options are there, do a bit of googling and
    you should see how to change the values to obtain what you want.

    Collector»NZ, Mar 23, 2005