    Has enyone else noticed instability in Firefox?

    And what to do about it??

    TJ
    TJ, Aug 26, 2006

  2. TJ

    Guest

    On 25 Aug 2006 23:58:23 -0700, "TJ" <> wrote:

    >I have the latest Firefox version browser running on two different PCs.
    >Since the last automatic update August 5, Firefox has begin crashing
    >regularly on both of them. You snap back to Desktop in the blink of an
    >eye. Up 2 date antivirus and Ad-Aware on both machines
    >
    >Has enyone else noticed instability in Firefox?
    >
    >And what to do about it??
    >
    >TJ

    If you followed the messages in the last 3 or 4 days, I was having the
    same problems with version 1.0, and this got worse recently. Everyone
    on here told me to upgrade, upgrade, upgrade..... said that would fix
    the problem. Yeah, right. I went from crashing a few times a week,
    to crashing every time I run it. Nice upgrade, I love it when they
    make it worse than it was.....

    I'm just in the process of trying to get rid of firefox entirely, and
    going back to one of the older versions (before 1.0) that actually
    worked. The mozilla website dont have the install for the older ones.
    That shows how much they give a damn about their users. I am
    beginning to hate mozilla, almost more than microsoft. I wish there
    were more browsers to choose from, but I guess we are all stuck with
    Firefox that crashes, Opera that's so goddamn bloated and memory hog
    its rediculous, and IE that actually works halfway well, despite all
    its quirks. (at least the version 5.5 which is the newest one I'll
    use). I dont give a rats ass about security issues on the type of
    websites I go to, I just want something simple to use that dont crash.

    Yeah, no viruses or spyware here either.

    By the way, I uninstalled FF 1.5 and restored my backup of 1.0.
    Apparently 1.5 did some harm to something because my backup wont work
    properly. Needless to say, I am really pissed off at the moment.

    Good luck, I feel you'll need it....

    KN
    , Aug 26, 2006

  3. TJ

    Orbis Guest

    > Needless to say, I am really pissed off at the moment.

    Uninstall Firefox and go back to using IE.

    Solved.
    Orbis, Aug 26, 2006
  4. TJ wrote:
    > I have the latest Firefox version browser running on two different PCs.
    > Since the last automatic update August 5, Firefox has begin crashing
    > regularly on both of them. You snap back to Desktop in the blink of an
    > eye. Up 2 date antivirus and Ad-Aware on both machines
    >
    > Has enyone else noticed instability in Firefox?
    >
    > And what to do about it??
    >
    > TJ

    Try running in Firefox safe mode. If the crashes stop, its an
    incompatable extension or theme.
    Mozilla Champion (Dan), Aug 26, 2006
  5. wrote:
    > On 25 Aug 2006 23:58:23 -0700, "TJ" <> wrote:
    >
    >> I have the latest Firefox version browser running on two different PCs.
    >> Since the last automatic update August 5, Firefox has begin crashing
    >> regularly on both of them. You snap back to Desktop in the blink of an
    >> eye. Up 2 date antivirus and Ad-Aware on both machines
    >>
    >> Has enyone else noticed instability in Firefox?
    >>
    >> And what to do about it??
    >>
    >> TJ

    > If you followed the messages in the last 3 or 4 days, I was having the
    > same problems with version 1.0, and this got worse recently. Everyone
    > on here told me to upgrade, upgrade, upgrade..... said that would fix
    > the problem. Yeah, right. I went from crashing a few times a week,
    > to crashing every time I run it. Nice upgrade, I love it when they
    > make it worse than it was.....
    >
    > I'm just in the process of trying to get rid of firefox entirely, and
    > going back to one of the older versions (before 1.0) that actually
    > worked. The mozilla website dont have the install for the older ones.
    > That shows how much they give a damn about their users. I am
    > beginning to hate mozilla, almost more than microsoft. I wish there
    > were more browsers to choose from, but I guess we are all stuck with
    > Firefox that crashes, Opera that's so goddamn bloated and memory hog
    > its rediculous, and IE that actually works halfway well, despite all
    > its quirks. (at least the version 5.5 which is the newest one I'll
    > use). I dont give a rats ass about security issues on the type of
    > websites I go to, I just want something simple to use that dont crash.
    >
    > Yeah, no viruses or spyware here either.
    >
    > By the way, I uninstalled FF 1.5 and restored my backup of 1.0.
    > Apparently 1.5 did some harm to something because my backup wont work
    > properly. Needless to say, I am really pissed off at the moment.
    >
    > Good luck, I feel you'll need it....
    >
    > KN

    Again try running in Firfox safe mode
    If that cures the problem its an incompatable extension or theme
    Mozilla Champion (Dan), Aug 26, 2006
  6. Orbis wrote:
    >> Needless to say, I am really pissed off at the moment.

    > Uninstall Firefox and go back to using IE.
    >
    > Solved.

    And open yourself up to dozens of exploits. Even the US government
    recommends using another browser to be secure.
    Mozilla Champion (Dan), Aug 26, 2006
  7. TJ

    richard Guest

    "TJ" <> wrote in message
    >I have the latest Firefox version browser running on two different PCs.
    > Since the last automatic update August 5, Firefox has begin crashing
    > regularly on both of them. You snap back to Desktop in the blink of an
    > eye. Up 2 date antivirus and Ad-Aware on both machines
    >
    > Has enyone else noticed instability in Firefox?
    >
    > And what to do about it??
    >
    > TJ

    Trash the entire thing completely. Now go to the website,download the latest
    version and install as given.
    IMHO, upgrades just don't cut it. If you have more problems like that, go
    to the firefox site and ask in the forums.
    richard, Aug 26, 2006
  8. richard wrote:
    > "TJ" <> wrote in message
    >> I have the latest Firefox version browser running on two different PCs.
    >> Since the last automatic update August 5, Firefox has begin crashing
    >> regularly on both of them. You snap back to Desktop in the blink of an
    >> eye. Up 2 date antivirus and Ad-Aware on both machines
    >>
    >> Has enyone else noticed instability in Firefox?
    >>
    >> And what to do about it??
    >>
    >> TJ
    >>

    > Trash the entire thing completely. Now go to the website,download the latest
    > version and install as given.
    > IMHO, upgrades just don't cut it. If you have more problems like that, go
    > to the firefox site and ask in the forums.

    Fewer than 1% of users are reporting problems with upgrades.
    Mozilla Champion (Dan), Aug 26, 2006
  9. TJ

    John Guest

    On Sat, 26 Aug 2006 03:17:19 -0500, wrote:

    > I wish there were more browsers to choose from, but I guess we are all stuck with
    >Firefox that crashes,

    Definitely not all - I have had the various versions of Firefox, (currently
    1.5.0.6) and they all worked flawlessly. Can't wait for v. 2 to come out . . .

    Looks like you should look for a reason other than Firefox to blame for your
    problems.

    >Good luck, I feel you'll need it....

    Don't think luck has anything to do with it, but I am not knowledgeable enough
    to suggest to you what you're doing wrong to have all this grief.

    John <><
    John, Aug 26, 2006
  10. TJ

    John Guest

    "TJ" <> wrote in message news:...

    > Has enyone else noticed instability in Firefox?

    No, Microsoft employee.
    John, Aug 26, 2006
  11. TJ

    John Guest

    On Sun, 27 Aug 2006 00:31:43 +1000, "John" <> wrote:

    >"TJ" <> wrote in message news:...
    >
    >> Has enyone else noticed instability in Firefox?

    >No, Microsoft employee.

    Now, there's an angle I hadn't thought of.
    Perhaps, that's the problem, TJ . . . . .
    John <><
    John, Aug 26, 2006
  12. TJ

    ftran999 Guest

    "TJ" <> wrote in message
    >I have the latest Firefox version browser running on two different PCs.
    > Since the last automatic update August 5, Firefox has begin crashing
    > regularly on both of them. You snap back to Desktop in the blink of an
    > eye. Up 2 date antivirus and Ad-Aware on both machines
    >
    > Has enyone else noticed instability in Firefox?
    >
    > And what to do about it??
    >
    > TJ

    I was experiences problems with FF a few weeks ago. However, unlike you, my
    problems were before the latest update. After the update, I've no longer
    been experiencing any problems. Also my problem was with the browser
    locking up and not necessarily crashing. Say what you will about FF being
    superior to IE, but FF is a serious resource hog.
    ftran999, Aug 26, 2006
  13. TJ

    Guest

    On Sat, 26 Aug 2006 12:45:57 GMT, "Mozilla Champion (Dan)"
    <> wrote:

    >TJ wrote:
    >> I have the latest Firefox version browser running on two different PCs.
    >> Since the last automatic update August 5, Firefox has begin crashing
    >> regularly on both of them. You snap back to Desktop in the blink of an
    >> eye. Up 2 date antivirus and Ad-Aware on both machines
    >>
    >> Has enyone else noticed instability in Firefox?
    >>
    >> And what to do about it??
    >>
    >> TJ
    >>

    >Try running in Firefox safe mode. If the crashes stop, its an
    >incompatable extension or theme.

    You keep saying this......
    But how?

    How does one get it to run in safe mode?

    By extension, do you mean one of those plugins like flashblocker?

    You lost me on the themes. In windows itself, a theme changes the
    wallpaper, desktop font, etc. which thus changes the look of the
    desktop. I can only assume FF has something similar. Unless a theme
    is something else, I never use such nonsense. It's just like these
    "skins" for something like Media Player. Who needs that junk.

    Your help is appreciated, but please be more specific. Not all of us
    are technicians.

    KN
    , Aug 26, 2006
  14. TJ

    Daave Guest

    ftran999 wrote:

    > Say what you will about FF being superior to IE, but FF is a
    > serious resource hog.

    Agreed.
    Daave, Aug 26, 2006
  15. TJ

    gwtc Guest

    TJ wrote:
    > I have the latest Firefox version browser running on two different PCs.
    > Since the last automatic update August 5, Firefox has begin crashing
    > regularly on both of them. You snap back to Desktop in the blink of an
    > eye. Up 2 date antivirus and Ad-Aware on both machines
    >
    > Has enyone else noticed instability in Firefox?

    nope. I'm running FF 1.5.0.6 on a win98 and I don't notice crashes.
    The only time it crashes is with another program called WindowBlinds.

    --
    Amazingly Simple Home Remedies . . .

    Clumsy? Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting
    someone else to hold them while you chop away.
    gwtc, Aug 26, 2006
  16. TJ

    gwtc Guest

    wrote:
    > On 25 Aug 2006 23:58:23 -0700, "TJ" <> wrote:
    >
    >> I have the latest Firefox version browser running on two different PCs.
    >> Since the last automatic update August 5, Firefox has begin crashing
    >> regularly on both of them. You snap back to Desktop in the blink of an
    >> eye. Up 2 date antivirus and Ad-Aware on both machines
    >>
    >> Has enyone else noticed instability in Firefox?
    >>
    >> And what to do about it??
    >>
    >> TJ

    > If you followed the messages in the last 3 or 4 days, I was having the
    > same problems with version 1.0, and this got worse recently. Everyone
    > on here told me to upgrade, upgrade, upgrade..... said that would fix
    > the problem. Yeah, right. I went from crashing a few times a week,
    > to crashing every time I run it. Nice upgrade, I love it when they
    > make it worse than it was.....
    >
    > I'm just in the process of trying to get rid of firefox entirely, and
    > going back to one of the older versions (before 1.0) that actually
    > worked. The mozilla website dont have the install for the older ones.
    > That shows how much they give a damn about their users. I am
    > beginning to hate mozilla, almost more than microsoft. I wish there
    > were more browsers to choose from, but I guess we are all stuck with
    > Firefox that crashes, Opera that's so goddamn bloated and memory hog
    > its rediculous, and IE that actually works halfway well, despite all
    > its quirks. (at least the version 5.5 which is the newest one I'll
    > use). I dont give a rats ass about security issues on the type of
    > websites I go to, I just want something simple to use that dont crash.
    >
    > Yeah, no viruses or spyware here either.
    >
    > By the way, I uninstalled FF 1.5 and restored my backup of 1.0.
    > Apparently 1.5 did some harm to something because my backup wont work
    > properly. Needless to say, I am really pissed off at the moment.
    >
    > Good luck, I feel you'll need it....
    >
    > KN

    you're problem may be you're using an OLD profile for a newer program.
    The profile stores all the prefs, bookmarks, passwords, etc. Create
    a NEW profile for the newer version

    Close FF, click on Start, Run and enter exactly:

    firefox.exe -p

    this will bring up the FF profile. Follow the instructions and create
    a new profile.

    gwtc, Aug 26, 2006
  17. TJ

    Guest

    On Sat, 26 Aug 2006 23:36:28 +1200, Orbis <> wrote:

    >> Needless to say, I am really pissed off at the moment.

    >Uninstall Firefox and go back to using IE.
    >
    >Solved.

    I have gone back to IE, because FF was getting me far too pissed, and
    I dont want to bust another keyboard in half, which has happened a few
    times when the computer pissed me off too much.

    I have not yet uninstalled FF. I continue to read this newsgroup
    hoping someone provides some useful solutions. It seems like many of
    you guys are the experts. I am just a computer user who know how to
    install and uninstall software, do normal maintenance, and use what
    works. I prefer to avoid becoming a computer geek. theres more to life
    than computers.

    KN
    , Aug 26, 2006
  18. TJ

    Daave Guest

    wrote:
    > On Sat, 26 Aug 2006 12:45:57 GMT, "Mozilla Champion (Dan)"
    > <> wrote:

    >> Try running in Firefox safe mode. If the crashes stop, its an
    >> incompatable extension or theme.

    > You keep saying this......
    > But how?

    Start > Programs > Mozilla Firefox > Mozilla Firefox (Safe Mode)
    Daave, Aug 26, 2006
  19. "Orbis" <> wrote in message
    >> Needless to say, I am really pissed off at the moment.

    > Uninstall Firefox and go back to using IE.
    >
    > Solved.

    I haven't uninstalled it, but I have gone back to IE.

    Firefox has a lot of nice features, but I'm fed up with the trouble it
    gives me. IE works fine.

    No malware here.

    --
    Rhonda Lea Kirk

    Happiness limits the amount of suffering one is
    willing to inflict on others. Phèdre nó Delaunay
    Rhonda Lea Kirk, Aug 26, 2006
  20. TJ

    FML Guest

    wrote:
    > On Sat, 26 Aug 2006 23:36:28 +1200, Orbis <> wrote:
    >
    >>> Needless to say, I am really pissed off at the moment.

    >> Uninstall Firefox and go back to using IE.
    >>
    >> Solved.

    > I have gone back to IE, because FF was getting me far too pissed, and
    > I dont want to bust another keyboard in half, which has happened a few
    > times when the computer pissed me off too much.

    Is this you?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02MV3DD5pFc

    FML, Aug 26, 2006