Firefox blocked by Google?

Discussion in 'Firefox' started by jim, Jul 5, 2007.

  1. jim

    jim Guest

    Today when I started my FF, the Google/Firefox homepage threw up the
    following......

    ----------------------------
    Google
    Error

    We're sorry...

    ... but your query looks similar to automated requests from a computer
    virus or spyware application. To protect our users, we can't process your
    request right now.

    We'll restore your access as quickly as possible, so try again soon. In
    the meantime, if you suspect that your computer or network has been
    infected, you might want to run a virus checker or spyware remover to make
    sure that your systems are free of viruses and other spurious software.

    We apologize for the inconvenience, and hope we'll see you again on
    Google.
    To continue searching, please type the characters you see below:
    ----------------------------

    Why is Google blocking Firefox?
    jim, Jul 5, 2007

  2. jim

    Rom Guest

    On Thu, 5 Jul 2007 11:13:26 -0400, jim wrote:

    > Today when I started my FF, the Google/Firefox homepage threw up the
    > following......
    >
    > ----------------------------
    > Google
    > Error
    >
    > We're sorry...

    [...]
    > Why is Google blocking Firefox?

    It's not blocking Firefox, but likely a temporary block by IP address
    or ISP proxy.

    These are from last month:
    <http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=40228>
    <http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=40371>
    <http://www.viruslist.com/en/weblog?weblogid=208187377>

    --
    Rom
    Rom, Jul 5, 2007

  3. jim

    Guest

    On Jul 5, 8:58 am, Rom <> wrote:
    > On Thu, 5 Jul 2007 11:13:26 -0400, jim wrote:
    > > Today when I started my FF, the Google/Firefox homepage threw up the
    > > following......

    > > ----------------------------
    > > Google
    > > Error

    > > We're sorry...

    > [...]
    >
    > > Why is Google blocking Firefox?

    > It's not blocking Firefox, but likely a temporary block by IP address
    > or ISP proxy.
    >
    > These are from last month:
    > <http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=40228>
    > <http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=40371>
    > <http://www.viruslist.com/en/weblog?weblogid=208187377>
    >
    > --
    > Rom

    you mean these guys are just finding this out now. I've had this
    happen to me for years.
    , Jul 5, 2007
  4. jim

    jim Guest

    "Rom" <> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 5 Jul 2007 11:13:26 -0400, jim wrote:
    >
    >> Today when I started my FF, the Google/Firefox homepage threw up the
    >> following......
    >>
    >> ----------------------------
    >> Google
    >> Error
    >>
    >> We're sorry...
    >>

    > [...]
    >>
    >> Why is Google blocking Firefox?

    > It's not blocking Firefox, but likely a temporary block by IP address
    > or ISP proxy.
    >
    > These are from last month:
    > <http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=40228>
    > <http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=40371>
    > <http://www.viruslist.com/en/weblog?weblogid=208187377>

    Rom,

    Thanks for the links. I still don't understand how it happened to me
    though. I am on AT&T DSL with no proxy and a static IP. I am using OpenDNS
    servers (if that could matter).

    What would it matter to Google anyway if a bot was doing automated
    searches? What could it hurt? Searches don't affect rankings (AFAIK).
    And, bots can use open proxies and no caching to try and circumvent this
    detection.

    I guess I really don't understand what Google is trying to block and
    why. Seems to me like another corporate, middle management type trying to
    justify his/her salary by implementing a program or protocol that is (in my
    admittedly limited knowledge of Google's inner workings) not needed.

    jim
    jim, Jul 5, 2007
  5. jim

    Guest

    On Jul 5, 9:41 am, "jim" <> wrote:
    > "Rom" <> wrote in message

    > > On Thu, 5 Jul 2007 11:13:26 -0400, jim wrote:

    > >> Today when I started my FF, the Google/Firefox homepage threw up the
    > >> following......

    > >> ----------------------------
    > >> Google
    > >> Error

    > >> We're sorry...

    > > [...]

    > >> Why is Google blocking Firefox?

    > > It's not blocking Firefox, but likely a temporary block by IP address
    > > or ISP proxy.

    > > These are from last month:
    > > <http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=40228>
    > > <http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=40371>
    > > <http://www.viruslist.com/en/weblog?weblogid=208187377>

    > Rom,
    >
    > Thanks for the links. I still don't understand how it happened to me
    > though. I am on AT&T DSL with no proxy and a static IP. I am using OpenDNS
    > servers (if that could matter).
    >
    > What would it matter to Google anyway if a bot was doing automated
    > searches? What could it hurt? Searches don't affect rankings (AFAIK).
    > And, bots can use open proxies and no caching to try and circumvent this
    > detection.
    >
    > I guess I really don't understand what Google is trying to block and
    > why. Seems to me like another corporate, middle management type trying to
    > justify his/her salary by implementing a program or protocol that is (in my
    > admittedly limited knowledge of Google's inner workings) not needed.
    >
    > jim

    its NOT your fault. Its a glitch in google. You just have to wait a
    little [maybe an hour or so] for this glitch to go away.
    , Jul 5, 2007