    Keith (Southend)
    http://www.southendweather.net
    e-mail: kreh at southendweather dot net
    Keith (Southend), Mar 10, 2007

  2. Keith (Southend)

    Ron Guest

    Ron, Mar 10, 2007

  3. Keith (Southend)

    Guest

    On Mar 11, 9:10 am, Gualtier Malde <> wrote:
    > Keith (Southend) wrote:
    > > My AVG scanner has quarenteed a number of threats:
    > > Worm/VB.AUG Path: C:\***\Firefox Setup 1.5.0.3.exe, Setup 1.5.0.4.exe,
    > > Setup 1.5.exe etc.
    > > I wouldn't have thought these were virus's?

    > Yep - me, too. I was just now coming on here to tell people. Thing is, I'd had that Firefox
    > installation file for quite a while, done an AVG scan daily, and updated at *least* once a day
    > (whenever I get the mail notice), and yet it was some time before the worm was picked up. In fact,
    > I didn't take chances and deleted the file, but until seeing your post I kind of wondered if AVG
    > hadn't over-reacted.
    >
    > Does anyone know how a file can sit around and a worm is only found later? Virus software can't see
    > it or something? How much (if any) permanent damage has been done in the meantime?

    your questions shouldn't be asked in the Mozilla newsgroup, but rather
    in the avg newsgroup. And the question should be "why does avg give
    false positives?"

    There is nothing wrong with the FF exe file.

    http://forum.grisoft.cz/freeforum/
    http://forum.grisoft.cz/freeforum/s...=30,match_forum=ALL,body=1,author=1,subject=1
    , Mar 11, 2007

    Gualtier Malde, Mar 11, 2007
  5. wrote:
    > On Mar 11, 9:10 am, Gualtier Malde <> wrote:
    >> Keith (Southend) wrote:
    >>> My AVG scanner has quarenteed a number of threats:
    >>> Worm/VB.AUG Path: C:\***\Firefox Setup 1.5.0.3.exe, Setup 1.5.0.4.exe,
    >>> Setup 1.5.exe etc.
    >>> I wouldn't have thought these were virus's?

    > your questions shouldn't be asked in the Mozilla newsgroup, but rather
    > in the avg newsgroup. And the question should be "why does avg give
    > false positives?"
    >
    > There is nothing wrong with the FF exe file.
    >
    > http://forum.grisoft.cz/freeforum/
    > http://forum.grisoft.cz/freeforum/s...=30,match_forum=ALL,body=1,author=1,subject=1

    Surely it's of interest in both forums.
    Keith (Southend), Mar 11, 2007
  6. Keith (Southend)

    Guest

    On Mar 11, 9:19 am, "Keith (Southend)" <>
    wrote:
    > wrote:

    > > your questions shouldn't be asked in the Mozilla newsgroup, but rather
    > > in the avg newsgroup. And the question should be "why does avg give
    > > false positives?"

    > > There is nothing wrong with the FF exe file.

    > >http://forum.grisoft.cz/freeforum/
    > >http://forum.grisoft.cz/freeforum/search.php?0,search=firefox,page=1,...

    > Surely it's of interest in both forums.

    imo -- no, its not a FF problem but rather an avg one. Its avg thats
    saying FF has a virus when it doesn't. So it should be asked in their
    newsgroup.
    , Mar 11, 2007
  7. Keith (Southend)

    Old Enough Guest

    On 11 Mar 2007 10:35:26 -0700, wrote:

    > Its avg thats saying FF has a virus when it doesn't.
    > So it should be asked in their newsgroup.

    But is it saying that?
    I have Firefox Setup 1.5.0.0.exe
    Firefox Setup 1.5.0.7.exe
    Firefox Setup 2.0.0.1.exe
    Firefox Setup 2.0.0.2.exe
    Firefox Setup 2.0.exe
    and FiefoxPreloaderSetup.exe
    archieved on my hard drive.

    My drives are checked daily with the latest version of AVG, and so far it has
    not spotted anything out of the ordinary.

    I have no answers, but thouht this info might help y'all . . . . .
    ____________________________
    Old enough . . .
    to know I don't know a thing.
    Old Enough, Mar 11, 2007
  8. On 2007-03-11, Keith (Southend) <> wrote:

    > wrote:

    >> your questions shouldn't be asked in the Mozilla newsgroup, but rather
    >> in the avg newsgroup. And the question should be "why does avg give
    >> false positives?"
    >>
    >> There is nothing wrong with the FF exe file.
    >>
    >> http://forum.grisoft.cz/freeforum/
    >> http://forum.grisoft.cz/freeforum/s...=30,match_forum=ALL,body=1,author=1,subject=1

    > Surely it's of interest in both forums.

    But it's not a Firefox issue -- only AVG can fix it -- and it only is of
    interest to Firefox users running both Windows and AVG.

    --

    John ()
    John Thompson, Mar 11, 2007
  9. wrote:
    > On Mar 11, 9:19 am, "Keith (Southend)" <>
    > wrote:
    >> wrote:
    >>> your questions shouldn't be asked in the Mozilla newsgroup, but rather
    >>> in the avg newsgroup. And the question should be "why does avg give
    >>> false positives?"
    >>> There is nothing wrong with the FF exe file.
    >>> http://forum.grisoft.cz/freeforum/
    >>> http://forum.grisoft.cz/freeforum/search.php?0,search=firefox,page=1,...

    >> Surely it's of interest in both forums.

    > imo -- no, its not a FF problem but rather an avg one. Its avg thats
    > saying FF has a virus when it doesn't. So it should be asked in their
    > newsgroup.

    Actually, I went to the forum you indicated and did that search. The last message in the
    appropriate thread is:
    Re: Possible False Positive Firefox Setup 1.5.0.2.exe
    Posted by: BIG AL 43 - Moderator (IP Logged)
    Date: March 11, 2007 11:32AM

    All Users

    This vdb update has been released today, AVI 268.18.8/718 - Added detection of new variant of
    Worm/VB, Worm/Agobot.
    I'm reading this as perhaps indicating that the FF installation file did have the worm but AVG
    didn't have the detection capability. I am using AVG Pro, BTW.

    If it really does have a worm in't, then wouldn't this be the place to tell other FF users?
    Gualtier Malde, Mar 11, 2007
  10. Keith (Southend)

    Guest

    On Mar 11, 11:06 am, John Thompson <2.dhs.org> wrote:
    > On 2007-03-11, Keith (Southend) <> wrote:
    >

    > > wrote:

    > >> your questions shouldn't be asked in the Mozilla newsgroup, but rather
    > >> in the avg newsgroup. And the question should be "why does avg give
    > >> false positives?"

    > >> There is nothing wrong with the FF exe file.

    > >>http://forum.grisoft.cz/freeforum/
    > >>http://forum.grisoft.cz/freeforum/search.php?0,search=firefox,page=1,...

    > > Surely it's of interest in both forums.

    > But it's not a Firefox issue -- only AVG can fix it -- and it only is of
    > interest to Firefox users running both Windows and AVG.

    exactly, its not a FF issue. I've seen this happen many times in the
    past, and its only avg thats doing it. None of the other virus
    checkers do it.
    , Mar 12, 2007
  11. Keith (Southend)

    Old Enough Guest

    On 11 Mar 2007 17:45:47 -0700, wrote:

    > I've seen this happen many times in the
    >past, and its only avg thats doing it. None of the other virus
    >checkers do it.

    Peter (or anyone else): Please help me understand this.
    Why does AVG not single out any of these .exe files on my computer
    (see my earlier post for files)

    Windows XP - SP2
    Firefox 2.0.0.2
    AVG Free Program Version 7.5.446
    Virus Base 268.18.8/718
    Release Date 3/11/2007 9:27 AM
    ____________________________
    Old enough . . .
    to know I don't know a thing.
    Old Enough, Mar 12, 2007
  12. Keith (Southend)

    Guest

    On Mar 11, 5:42 pm, Old Enough <> wrote:
    > On 11 Mar 2007 17:45:47 -0700, wrote:
    >
    > > I've seen this happen many times in the
    > >past, and its only avg thats doing it. None of the other virus
    > >checkers do it.

    > Peter (or anyone else): Please help me understand this.
    > Why does AVG not single out any of these .exe files on my computer
    > (see my earlier post for files)
    >
    > Windows XP - SP2
    > Firefox 2.0.0.2
    > AVG Free Program Version 7.5.446
    > Virus Base 268.18.8/718
    > Release Date 3/11/2007 9:27 AM

    I have no idea why! I don't use virus checkers. I have no need for
    them. Anyways, why don't you ask in their newsgroups:
    http://forum.grisoft.cz/freeforum/. You'll get far better help there
    than here.
    , Mar 12, 2007
  13. Old Enough wrote:
    > On 11 Mar 2007 17:45:47 -0700, wrote:
    >
    >> I've seen this happen many times in the
    >> past, and its only avg thats doing it. None of the other virus
    >> checkers do it.

    > Peter (or anyone else): Please help me understand this.
    > Why does AVG not single out any of these .exe files on my computer
    > (see my earlier post for files)
    >
    > Windows XP - SP2
    > Firefox 2.0.0.2
    > AVG Free Program Version 7.5.446
    > Virus Base 268.18.8/718
    > Release Date 3/11/2007 9:27 AM
    > ____________________________
    > Old enough . . .
    > to know I don't know a thing.

    There is also alt.computer.security to ask. They have a bunch of smart and helpful people.
    Gualtier Malde, Mar 12, 2007
  14. Keith (Southend)

    Canopus Guest

    scribed:

    >exactly, its not a FF issue. I've seen this happen many times in the
    >past, and its only avg thats doing it. None of the other virus
    >checkers do it.

    It was a false positive, I started that thread in the AVG forum. How
    anyone can say that this is not something to be brought up in this
    newsgroup is beyond me. It may only be of interest to Firefox users that
    also run AVG, but, there are a very high number that do this and seeing
    that they will frequent this newsgroup far more than the more difficult to
    use AVG forum a simple question followed at some time by a useful answer
    to put peoples minds at rest seems a very appropriate thing to do. Then
    again there are always draconian puritans around.

    --
    Rob

    http://www.flickr.com/photos/canopus_archives/
    Canopus, Apr 3, 2007