    works fine with any IE based browser. Is this a Microsoft/Firefox deal, or
    should it work? If not, is there a viewer of choice for Firefox? Thanks.

    Riderhood
    bgregg, May 16, 2006

  2. bgregg

    Ed Mullen Guest

    Try the "registry patch:" http://plugindoc.mozdev.org/important.html#WMP

    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net
    Ed Mullen, May 16, 2006

  3. bgregg

    Hawkeye Guest

    >I just got a broadband (sort of, satellite), but I can't seem to get
    >streaming video through Windows Media in the Firefox browser. Of course it
    >works fine with any IE based browser. Is this a Microsoft/Firefox deal, or
    >should it work? If not, is there a viewer of choice for Firefox? Thanks.

    Try the Windows Media Lite plugin available at:
    http://www.codecguide.com/

    While there check out the Alternative Quicktime and Real Player
    plugins.
    Hawkeye, May 17, 2006
  4. bgregg

    joevan Guest

    On Tue, 16 May 2006 16:05:15 -0400, Ed Mullen <> wrote:

    >bgregg wrote:
    >> I just got a broadband (sort of, satellite), but I can't seem to get
    >> streaming video through Windows Media in the Firefox browser. Of course it
    >> works fine with any IE based browser. Is this a Microsoft/Firefox deal, or
    >> should it work? If not, is there a viewer of choice for Firefox? Thanks.

    >Try the "registry patch:" http://plugindoc.mozdev.org/important.html#WMP

    And what value or what do you put in the registry?
    and for the same reason."
    joevan, May 23, 2006
  5. bgregg

    Ed Mullen Guest

    joevan wrote:
    > On Tue, 16 May 2006 16:05:15 -0400, Ed Mullen <> wrote:
    >
    >> bgregg wrote:
    >>> I just got a broadband (sort of, satellite), but I can't seem to get
    >>> streaming video through Windows Media in the Firefox browser. Of course it
    >>> works fine with any IE based browser. Is this a Microsoft/Firefox deal, or
    >>> should it work? If not, is there a viewer of choice for Firefox? Thanks.

    >> Try the "registry patch:" http://plugindoc.mozdev.org/important.html#WMP

    > And what value or what do you put in the registry?

    The link I previously gave (which you snipped out) contains "Windows
    Media Player 9.0 registry patch" which is a .reg file. Download the
    file and then double-click it to install the settings into the Windows
    registry. If you want to know what's in it then open it in Notepad.

    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net
    Ed Mullen, May 23, 2006
  6. bgregg

    Me Guest

    Ed Mullen wrote:

    > joevan wrote:

    >>>Try the "registry patch:" http://plugindoc.mozdev.org/important.html#WMP

    >>And what value or what do you put in the registry?

    > The link I previously gave (which you snipped out) contains "Windows
    > Media Player 9.0 registry patch" which is a .reg file. Download the
    > file and then double-click it to install the settings into the Windows
    > registry. If you want to know what's in it then open it in Notepad.

    the registry patch is under known issues.
    Me, May 23, 2006
  7. bgregg

    joevan Guest

    On Tue, 23 May 2006 10:33:02 -0400, Ed Mullen <> wrote:

    >joevan wrote:

    >>> Try the "registry patch:" http://plugindoc.mozdev.org/important.html#WMP

    >> And what value or what do you put in the registry?

    >The link I previously gave (which you snipped out) contains "Windows
    >Media Player 9.0 registry patch" which is a .reg file. Download the
    >file and then double-click it to install the settings into the Windows
    >registry. If you want to know what's in it then open it in Notepad.

    This is all I saw at from that link. Didn't mean to snip anything.

    REGEDIT4

    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MediaPlayer\ShimInclusionList\MOZILLA.EXE]

    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MediaPlayer\ShimInclusionList\PHOENIX.EXE]

    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MediaPlayer\ShimInclusionList\MOZILLAFIREBIRD.EXE]

    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MediaPlayer\ShimInclusionList\FIREFOX.EXE]

    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MediaPlayer\ShimInclusionList\SEAMONKEY.EXE]
    and for the same reason."
    joevan, May 23, 2006
  8. bgregg

    joevan Guest

    On Tue, 23 May 2006 10:33:02 -0400, Ed Mullen <> wrote:

    >joevan wrote:

    >>> Try the "registry patch:" http://plugindoc.mozdev.org/important.html#WMP

    >> And what value or what do you put in the registry?

    >The link I previously gave (which you snipped out) contains "Windows
    >Media Player 9.0 registry patch" which is a .reg file. Download the
    >file and then double-click it to install the settings into the Windows
    >registry. If you want to know what's in it then open it in Notepad.

    Everything is there on my computer. What is it you said I snipped?
    and for the same reason."
    joevan, May 23, 2006
  9. bgregg

    Ed Mullen Guest

    Me wrote:
    > Ed Mullen wrote:
    >
    >> joevan wrote:

    >>> And what value or what do you put in the registry?

    >> The link I previously gave (which you snipped out) contains "Windows
    >> Media Player 9.0 registry patch" which is a .reg file. Download the
    >> file and then double-click it to install the settings into the Windows
    >> registry. If you want to know what's in it then open it in Notepad.
    >>

    > the registry patch is under known issues.

    Uh, yeah, that's where that link I posted above takes you.

    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net
    Ed Mullen, May 23, 2006
  10. bgregg

    Ed Mullen Guest

    joevan wrote:
    > On Tue, 23 May 2006 10:33:02 -0400, Ed Mullen <> wrote:
    >
    >> joevan wrote:

    >>> And what value or what do you put in the registry?

    >> The link I previously gave (which you snipped out) contains "Windows
    >> Media Player 9.0 registry patch" which is a .reg file. Download the
    >> file and then double-click it to install the settings into the Windows
    >> registry. If you want to know what's in it then open it in Notepad.

    > Everything is there on my computer. What is it you said I snipped?

    Sorry, you're right, mea culpa.

    Ed Mullen, May 23, 2006
  11. bgregg

    Ed Mullen Guest

    joevan wrote:
    > On Tue, 23 May 2006 10:33:02 -0400, Ed Mullen <> wrote:
    >
    >> joevan wrote:

    >>> And what value or what do you put in the registry?

    >> The link I previously gave (which you snipped out) contains "Windows
    >> Media Player 9.0 registry patch" which is a .reg file. Download the
    >> file and then double-click it to install the settings into the Windows
    >> registry. If you want to know what's in it then open it in Notepad.

    > This is all I saw at from that link. Didn't mean to snip anything.
    >
    > REGEDIT4
    >
    > [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MediaPlayer\ShimInclusionList\MOZILLA.EXE]
    >
    > [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MediaPlayer\ShimInclusionList\PHOENIX.EXE]
    >
    > [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MediaPlayer\ShimInclusionList\MOZILLAFIREBIRD.EXE]
    >
    > [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MediaPlayer\ShimInclusionList\FIREFOX.EXE]
    >
    > [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MediaPlayer\ShimInclusionList\SEAMONKEY.EXE]

    You asked: "And what value or what do you put in the registry?" I
    answered.

    So, what is it exactly that you are either complaining about, not
    understanding, wanting to do, etc.? It's a registry file. As per my
    other post: Save it to disk. Find it on your disk. Double-click it.
    Windows will ask if you want to add the information to your Windows
    Registry. Say yes. The information is then added to the registry.

    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net
    Ed Mullen, May 23, 2006
  12. bgregg

    joevan Guest

    On Tue, 23 May 2006 15:08:44 -0400, Ed Mullen <> wrote:

    >joevan wrote:

    >>> The link I previously gave (which you snipped out) contains "Windows
    >>> Media Player 9.0 registry patch" which is a .reg file. Download the
    >>> file and then double-click it to install the settings into the Windows
    >>> registry. If you want to know what's in it then open it in Notepad.

    >> This is all I saw at from that link. Didn't mean to snip anything.
    >>
    >> REGEDIT4
    >>
    >> [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MediaPlayer\ShimInclusionList\MOZILLA.EXE]
    >>
    >> [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MediaPlayer\ShimInclusionList\PHOENIX.EXE]
    >>
    >> [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MediaPlayer\ShimInclusionList\MOZILLAFIREBIRD.EXE]
    >>
    >> [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MediaPlayer\ShimInclusionList\FIREFOX.EXE]
    >>
    >> [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MediaPlayer\ShimInclusionList\SEAMONKEY.EXE]

    >You asked: "And what value or what do you put in the registry?" I
    >answered.
    >
    >So, what is it exactly that you are either complaining about, not
    >understanding, wanting to do, etc.? It's a registry file. As per my
    >other post: Save it to disk. Find it on your disk. Double-click it.
    >Windows will ask if you want to add the information to your Windows
    >Registry. Say yes. The information is then added to the registry.

    Ok now I got it as a registry file that can be used, but I had to open
    IE to retrieve it. For some reason when I went to that page all I saw
    was the raw information that I posted before.
    and for the same reason."
    joevan, May 24, 2006
  13. bgregg

    joevan Guest

    On Wed, 24 May 2006 13:57:29 GMT, joevan <>
    wrote:

    >On Tue, 23 May 2006 15:08:44 -0400, Ed Mullen <> wrote:
    >
    >>joevan wrote:

    >>> This is all I saw at from that link. Didn't mean to snip anything.
    >>>
    >>> REGEDIT4
    >>>
    >>> [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MediaPlayer\ShimInclusionList\MOZILLA.EXE]
    >>>
    >>> [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MediaPlayer\ShimInclusionList\PHOENIX.EXE]
    >>>
    >>> [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MediaPlayer\ShimInclusionList\MOZILLAFIREBIRD.EXE]
    >>>
    >>> [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MediaPlayer\ShimInclusionList\FIREFOX.EXE]
    >>>
    >>> [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MediaPlayer\ShimInclusionList\SEAMONKEY.EXE]

    >>You asked: "And what value or what do you put in the registry?" I
    >>answered.
    >>
    >>So, what is it exactly that you are either complaining about, not
    >>understanding, wanting to do, etc.? It's a registry file. As per my
    >>other post: Save it to disk. Find it on your disk. Double-click it.
    >>Windows will ask if you want to add the information to your Windows
    >>Registry. Say yes. The information is then added to the registry.

    >Ok now I got it as a registry file that can be used, but I had to open
    >IE to retrieve it. For some reason when I went to that page all I saw
    >was the raw information that I posted before.

    Still get this same crap after loading that reg file.
    I don't understand.

    To use this product, you need to install free software
    This product requires Microsoft© Internet Explorer 6, Microsoft© Media
    Player 10, and Macromedia Flash 6. To download these free software
    applications, click the links below and follow the on-screen
    instructions.
    Step 1: Download Microsoft© Internet Explorer 6
    Microsoft Internet Explorer 6 is free to download
    Once the installations are complete, reload this page.
    and for the same reason."
    joevan, May 24, 2006
  14. bgregg

    gwtc Guest

    joevan wrote:

    > On Wed, 24 May 2006 13:57:29 GMT, joevan <>
    > wrote:

    >>>You asked: "And what value or what do you put in the registry?" I
    >>>answered.
    >>>
    >>>So, what is it exactly that you are either complaining about, not
    >>>understanding, wanting to do, etc.? It's a registry file. As per my
    >>>other post: Save it to disk. Find it on your disk. Double-click it.
    >>>Windows will ask if you want to add the information to your Windows
    >>>Registry. Say yes. The information is then added to the registry.

    >>Ok now I got it as a registry file that can be used, but I had to open
    >>IE to retrieve it. For some reason when I went to that page all I saw
    >>was the raw information that I posted before.

    > Still get this same crap after loading that reg file.
    > I don't understand.
    >
    > To use this product, you need to install free software
    > This product requires Microsoft© Internet Explorer 6, Microsoft© Media
    > Player 10, and Macromedia Flash 6. To download these free software
    > applications, click the links below and follow the on-screen
    > instructions.
    > Step 1: Download Microsoft© Internet Explorer 6
    > Microsoft Internet Explorer 6 is free to download
    > Once the installations are complete, reload this page.

    to download it, hold down the shift key and click.

    To install it, once downloaded to your hard drive, use your file
    manager, find it, and right click on it, and select either Install or
    Merge [that depends on which version of windows you have]

    --
    Witty Words of Wisdom: Accept that some days you're the pigeon, and
    some days you're the statue.
    gwtc, May 24, 2006
  15. bgregg

    joevan Guest

    On Wed, 24 May 2006 07:59:30 -0700, gwtc <37>
    wrote:

    >joevan wrote:
    >
    >> On Wed, 24 May 2006 13:57:29 GMT, joevan <>
    >> wrote:

    >>>Ok now I got it as a registry file that can be used, but I had to open
    >>>IE to retrieve it. For some reason when I went to that page all I saw
    >>>was the raw information that I posted before.

    >> Still get this same crap after loading that reg file.
    >> I don't understand.
    >>
    >> To use this product, you need to install free software
    >> This product requires Microsoft© Internet Explorer 6, Microsoft© Media
    >> Player 10, and Macromedia Flash 6. To download these free software
    >> applications, click the links below and follow the on-screen
    >> instructions.
    >> Step 1: Download Microsoft© Internet Explorer 6
    >> Microsoft Internet Explorer 6 is free to download
    >> Once the installations are complete, reload this page.

    >to download it, hold down the shift key and click.
    >
    >To install it, once downloaded to your hard drive, use your file
    >manager, find it, and right click on it, and select either Install or
    >Merge [that depends on which version of windows you have]

    I am using xp and IE 6. I have been using also firefox for some time
    but have to resort to IE 6 for certain things. I was hoping to be able
    to view the same files on firefox that I can on IE.
    I entered the registry file but it seems to not help. I also unzipped
    the mozactivex-ff-15.zip file into the mozilla folder. What else
    should I do?

    and for the same reason."
    joevan, May 24, 2006
  16. bgregg

    gwtc Guest

    joevan wrote:
    > On Wed, 24 May 2006 07:59:30 -0700, gwtc <37>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>joevan wrote:

    >>>Still get this same crap after loading that reg file.
    >>>I don't understand.
    >>>
    >>>To use this product, you need to install free software
    >>>This product requires Microsoft© Internet Explorer 6, Microsoft© Media
    >>>Player 10, and Macromedia Flash 6. To download these free software
    >>>applications, click the links below and follow the on-screen
    >>>instructions.
    >>>Step 1: Download Microsoft© Internet Explorer 6
    >>>Microsoft Internet Explorer 6 is free to download
    >>> Once the installations are complete, reload this page.

    >>to download it, hold down the shift key and click.
    >>
    >>To install it, once downloaded to your hard drive, use your file
    >>manager, find it, and right click on it, and select either Install or
    >>Merge [that depends on which version of windows you have]

    > I am using xp and IE 6. I have been using also firefox for some time
    > but have to resort to IE 6 for certain things. I was hoping to be able
    > to view the same files on firefox that I can on IE.
    > I entered the registry file but it seems to not help. I also unzipped
    > the mozactivex-ff-15.zip file into the mozilla folder. What else
    > should I do?

    Personally, I would get rid of that active-x crap. Lots of people
    won't install it.

    Well, if all else fails, try an extension. There's the
    MediaPlayerConnectivity: https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/446/. I
    don't know if its any good nor not, but I've been hearing good reports
    about it.

    Another is Launchy: http://gemal.dk/mozilla/launchy.html. I use this
    myself and it works great.

    gwtc, May 24, 2006
  17. bgregg

    joevan Guest

    On Wed, 24 May 2006 09:29:07 -0700, gwtc <37>
    wrote:

    >MediaPlayerConnectivity: https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/446/. I
    >don't know if its any good nor not, but I've been hearing good reports
    >about it.

    This seems to have done it. Works fine now. Thanks. Now I can use IE
    even less. If I can just convince my 15 year old daughter to use it
    too we will be cruising.
    and for the same reason."
    joevan, May 24, 2006
  18. bgregg

    Mumia W. Guest

    joevan wrote:
    > I am using xp and IE 6. I have been using also firefox for some time
    > but have to resort to IE 6 for certain things. I was hoping to be able
    > to view the same files on firefox that I can on IE. [...]

    I think there is an extension on addons.mozilla.org called IETab that
    lets firefox open a tab that uses the IE rendering engine. Maybe that'll
    help.
    Mumia W., May 24, 2006