firefox and thunderbird don't play well together anymore

Discussion in 'Firefox' started by wayne, Dec 21, 2007.

  1. wayne

    wayne Guest

    I upgraded from Redhat 9 to Fedora 8, but afterwords the links from one
    were not opening the other application. After some googling, I created
    user.js with the following contents:

    =================
    /* Open Thunderbird hyperlinks in Mozilla Firefox */
    user_pref("network.protocol-handler.app.http", "/usr/bin/firefox");

    user_pref("network.protocol-handler.app.https", "/usr/bin/firefox");

    user_pref("network.protocol-handler.app.ftp", "/usr/bin/firefox");

    /* Mailto: hyperlinks in Firefox, launch Thunderbird */
    user_pref("network.protocol-handler.app.mailto", "/usr/bin/thunderbird");
    ==================

    Links in thunderbird now open firefox, but mailto links in firefox
    don't open a thunderbird write window. Am I missing something here?
    Why do I need the user.js file with fedora 8 when Redhat 9 worked fine
    without it?

    Thanks,

    -- Wayne.
     
    wayne, Dec 21, 2007
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. wayne wrote:
    > I upgraded from Redhat 9 to Fedora 8, but afterwords the links from one
    > were not opening the other application. After some googling, I created
    > user.js with the following contents:
    >
    > =================
    > /* Open Thunderbird hyperlinks in Mozilla Firefox */
    > user_pref("network.protocol-handler.app.http", "/usr/bin/firefox");
    >
    > user_pref("network.protocol-handler.app.https", "/usr/bin/firefox");
    >
    > user_pref("network.protocol-handler.app.ftp", "/usr/bin/firefox");
    >
    > /* Mailto: hyperlinks in Firefox, launch Thunderbird */
    > user_pref("network.protocol-handler.app.mailto", "/usr/bin/thunderbird");
    > ==================
    >
    > Links in thunderbird now open firefox, but mailto links in firefox
    > don't open a thunderbird write window. Am I missing something here?
    > Why do I need the user.js file with fedora 8 when Redhat 9 worked fine
    > without it?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > -- Wayne.


    because in Redhat, both programs were made the default
    applications, and for some reason, it changed in the other.
    So, in Fedora, make both programs the default. If it
    still doesn't work, then reinstall both programs.

    --
    *IMPORTANT*: Sorry folks, but I cannot provide email help!!!!

    Warning: Private emails sent to me may become public

    Peter Potamus & His Magic Flying Balloon:
    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm
     
    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo, Dec 21, 2007
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. wayne

    wayne Guest

    On Fri, 21 Dec 2007 09:00:41 -0800, Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:

    > wayne wrote:
    >> I upgraded from Redhat 9 to Fedora 8, but afterwords the links from one
    >> were not opening the other application. After some googling, I created
    >> user.js with the following contents:
    >>
    >> =================
    >> /* Open Thunderbird hyperlinks in Mozilla Firefox */
    >> user_pref("network.protocol-handler.app.http", "/usr/bin/firefox");
    >>
    >> user_pref("network.protocol-handler.app.https", "/usr/bin/firefox");
    >>
    >> user_pref("network.protocol-handler.app.ftp", "/usr/bin/firefox");
    >>
    >> /* Mailto: hyperlinks in Firefox, launch Thunderbird */
    >> user_pref("network.protocol-handler.app.mailto",
    >> "/usr/bin/thunderbird"); ==================
    >>
    >> Links in thunderbird now open firefox, but mailto links in firefox
    >> don't open a thunderbird write window. Am I missing something here?
    >> Why do I need the user.js file with fedora 8 when Redhat 9 worked fine
    >> without it?
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >>
    >> -- Wayne.

    >
    > because in Redhat, both programs were made the default applications, and
    > for some reason, it changed in the other.
    > So, in Fedora, make both programs the default. If it
    > still doesn't work, then reinstall both programs.


    Neither one "asked" to be the default and I don't know how to make them
    the default.

    I just realized that I only put the user.js file in the .thunderbird
    default directory. I also put it in the .mozilla/firefox/ default
    directory and now everything works.

    Thanks,

    -- Wayne.
     
    wayne, Dec 21, 2007
    #3
  4. wayne wrote:

    > Neither one "asked" to be the default and I don't know how to make them
    > the default.


    for next time:

    for TB: Tools, Options, General, and at the top

    for FF: Tools, Options, Main, and down at the bottom

    --
    *IMPORTANT*: Sorry folks, but I cannot provide email help!!!!

    Warning: Private emails sent to me may become public

    Peter Potamus & His Magic Flying Balloon:
    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm
     
    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo, Dec 21, 2007
    #4
  5. wayne

    wayne Guest

    On Fri, 21 Dec 2007 12:08:49 -0800, Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:

    > wayne wrote:
    >
    >> Neither one "asked" to be the default and I don't know how to make them
    >> the default.

    >
    > for next time:
    >
    > for TB: Tools, Options, General, and at the top
    >
    > for FF: Tools, Options, Main, and down at the bottom


    Maybe that's part of the problem. I don't have "Options" in my Tools menu
    for either FF or TB.

    -- Wayne.
     
    wayne, Dec 22, 2007
    #5
  6. wayne wrote:
    > On Fri, 21 Dec 2007 12:08:49 -0800, Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    >
    >> wayne wrote:
    >>
    >>> Neither one "asked" to be the default and I don't know how to make them
    >>> the default.

    >> for next time:
    >>
    >> for TB: Tools, Options, General, and at the top
    >>
    >> for FF: Tools, Options, Main, and down at the bottom

    >
    > Maybe that's part of the problem. I don't have "Options" in my Tools menu
    > for either FF or TB.
    >
    > -- Wayne.


    oh thats right, you're using linux. Then substitute Tools,
    Options for Edit, Preferences. Or try Firefox, Options, or
    Firefox, Preferences. Look around and you'll find it.

    --
    *IMPORTANT*: Sorry folks, but I cannot provide email help!!!!

    Warning: Private emails sent to me may become public

    Peter Potamus & His Magic Flying Balloon:
    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm
     
    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo, Dec 22, 2007
    #6
  7. wayne wrote:
    > On Fri, 21 Dec 2007 12:08:49 -0800, Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    >
    >> wayne wrote:
    >>
    >>> Neither one "asked" to be the default and I don't know how to make them
    >>> the default.

    >> for next time:
    >>
    >> for TB: Tools, Options, General, and at the top
    >>
    >> for FF: Tools, Options, Main, and down at the bottom

    >
    > Maybe that's part of the problem. I don't have "Options" in my Tools menu
    > for either FF or TB.
    >
    > -- Wayne.


    Linux builds its in Edit>>Preferences

    Lee

    --
    Leonidas Jones, Netscape/Mozilla Champion
    The Champs: http://mozillachampions.ufaq.org
    Links: http://www.ufaq.org/ http://mozilla.com http://kb.mozillazine.org
     
    Leonidas Jones, Dec 22, 2007
    #7
  8. wayne

    wayne Guest

    On Sat, 22 Dec 2007 10:17:57 -0800, Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:

    > wayne wrote:
    >> On Fri, 21 Dec 2007 12:08:49 -0800, Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>> wayne wrote:
    >>>
    >>>> Neither one "asked" to be the default and I don't know how to make
    >>>> them the default.
    >>> for next time:
    >>>
    >>> for TB: Tools, Options, General, and at the top
    >>>
    >>> for FF: Tools, Options, Main, and down at the bottom

    >>
    >> Maybe that's part of the problem. I don't have "Options" in my Tools
    >> menu for either FF or TB.
    >>
    >> -- Wayne.

    >
    > oh thats right, you're using linux. Then substitute Tools, Options for
    > Edit, Preferences. Or try Firefox, Options, or Firefox, Preferences.
    > Look around and you'll find it.


    I have been looking around and I cannot find anything about setting
    either FF or TB as the default. I'm using thunderbird: version 2.0.0.9
    (20071115) and firefox: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux x86_64; en-US;
    rv:1.8.1.10) Gecko/20071213 Fedora/2.0.0.10-3.fc8 Firefox/2.0.0.10

    I have seen the default boxes before, I just cannot find them anymore.

    -- Wayne.
     
    wayne, Dec 22, 2007
    #8
  9. wayne

    Gunnar Gren Guest

    wayne skrev:
    > I upgraded from Redhat 9 to Fedora 8, but afterwords the links from one
    > were not opening the other application. After some googling, I created
    > user.js with the following contents:
    >
    > =================
    > /* Open Thunderbird hyperlinks in Mozilla Firefox */
    > user_pref("network.protocol-handler.app.http", "/usr/bin/firefox");
    >
    > user_pref("network.protocol-handler.app.https", "/usr/bin/firefox");
    >
    > user_pref("network.protocol-handler.app.ftp", "/usr/bin/firefox");
    >
    > /* Mailto: hyperlinks in Firefox, launch Thunderbird */
    > user_pref("network.protocol-handler.app.mailto", "/usr/bin/thunderbird");
    > ==================


    That not working.
     
    Gunnar Gren, Dec 25, 2007
    #9
  10. wayne

    wayne Guest

    On Tue, 25 Dec 2007 17:23:44 +0100, Gunnar Gren wrote:

    > wayne skrev:
    >> I upgraded from Redhat 9 to Fedora 8, but afterwords the links from one
    >> were not opening the other application. After some googling, I created
    >> user.js with the following contents:
    >>
    >> =================
    >> /* Open Thunderbird hyperlinks in Mozilla Firefox */
    >> user_pref("network.protocol-handler.app.http", "/usr/bin/firefox");
    >>
    >> user_pref("network.protocol-handler.app.https", "/usr/bin/firefox");
    >>
    >> user_pref("network.protocol-handler.app.ftp", "/usr/bin/firefox");
    >>
    >> /* Mailto: hyperlinks in Firefox, launch Thunderbird */
    >> user_pref("network.protocol-handler.app.mailto",
    >> "/usr/bin/thunderbird"); ==================

    >
    > That not working.


    It needs to be in the correct directories and thunderbird and firefox have
    to be in /usr/bin/ (or modify the script appropriately).

    I still don't know why my versions of thunderbird and firefox do not allow
    me to set them as defaults.

    -- Wayne.
     
    wayne, Dec 27, 2007
    #10
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. loaery ouopwe4wiuyt

    Thunderbird and Firefox dno't work well togetehr

    loaery ouopwe4wiuyt, Aug 4, 2004, in forum: Firefox
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    521
    loaery ouopwe4wiuyt
    Aug 4, 2004
  2. Hmmmmmmm
    Replies:
    8
    Views:
    720
    Vincent Formosa
    Sep 28, 2004
  3. C Kelley

    Wireless and CAT5 network working well together.

    C Kelley, Aug 3, 2006, in forum: Wireless Networking
    Replies:
    5
    Views:
    519
    C Kelley
    Aug 6, 2006
  4. thanatoid

    Programs not playing well together?

    thanatoid, Sep 21, 2008, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    762
    §ñühwØ£f
    Sep 22, 2008
  5. fashion t shirts seller
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    1,277
    fashion t shirts seller
    Jun 13, 2011
Loading...

Share This Page