Firefox and the ad blocker plus plugin

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by ded, Nov 10, 2007.

  1. ded

    ded Guest

    I posted this as a reply in another thread concerning sites that
    won't load in FF, so I thought I'd re-post in case anyone else
    is having issues with the firefox browser.

    Mozilla issued a plugin for FF that blocks advertising, so sites
    devloped a tool that detects the ad blocker and the site won't
    load in FF, but worse, many sites now go for the easiest option
    and ensure non-compatibility with FF regardless.

    This is a cut N paste of the links I posted where you can read
    of the spreading problem of webmasters paranoia about losing
    advertising revenue because of FF ad blocking plug-in:

    Pasted:
    You can read more about adblocking and Firefox:
    http://showip.net/adblock.php

    This following site makes the paranoid claim that Firefox's adblocking is
    theft, and many sites that use the above tools to detect FF or any
    adblocking capable browser are directing surfers to this site:
    http://whyfirefoxisblocked.com/index1.php

    The bottomline is that the blocking of the excellent FF browser is
    spreading. You could try a google search to determine if the site(s)
    you are having problems with are blocking Firefox, type into seach:
    "ad blocker plus,firefox,<full site URL here>"
     
    ded, Nov 10, 2007
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. ded wrote:

    > Pasted:
    > You can read more about adblocking and Firefox:
    > http://showip.net/adblock.php


    Heh.

    <script language="javascript">
    var isFF = (navigator.userAgent.indexOf("Firefox") > -1) ? true : false;

    Relying on User Agent string... <chuckle>

    Also relying on JavaScript being enabled... <chuckle><again>

    --
    -bts
    -Motorcycles defy gravity; cars just suck
     
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Nov 10, 2007
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. ded

    Guest

    "ded" <> wrote:

    >Mozilla issued a plugin for FF that blocks advertising, so sites
    >devloped a tool that detects the ad blocker and the site won't
    >load in FF, but worse, many sites now go for the easiest option
    >and ensure non-compatibility with FF regardless.


    Just use a HOSTS file, works with any browser
    http://someonewhocares.org/hosts/hosts

    www.digg.com apparently has ads as the users keep saying they click on
    them to make Rose happy; I've never seen a one.

    --

    Fallen Art
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=4yQhXBeabUE
     
    , Nov 10, 2007
    #3
  4. wrote:
    > "ded" <> wrote:
    >
    >>Mozilla issued a plugin for FF that blocks advertising, so sites
    >>devloped a tool that detects the ad blocker and the site won't
    >>load in FF, but worse, many sites now go for the easiest option
    >>and ensure non-compatibility with FF regardless.

    >
    > Just use a HOSTS file, works with any browser


    Far less flexible. Can't use wildcards, for instance.


    --
    Blinky
    Killing all posts from Google Groups
    The Usenet Improvement Project - http://improve-usenet.org
     
    Blinky the Shark, Nov 10, 2007
    #4
  5. ded

    sittingduck Guest

    ded wrote:

    > The bottomline is that the blocking of the excellent FF browser is
    > spreading. You could try a google search to determine if the site(s)
    > you are having problems with are blocking Firefox, type into seach:
    > "ad blocker plus,firefox,<full site URL here>"


    Boycott the site, or turn adblock off. (it takes only a second or 2)

    --
    http://improve-usenet.org
     
    sittingduck, Nov 10, 2007
    #5
  6. sittingduck wrote:

    > ded wrote:
    >> The bottomline is that the blocking of the excellent FF browser is
    >> spreading. You could try a google search to determine if the site(s)
    >> you are having problems with are blocking Firefox, type into seach:
    >> "ad blocker plus,firefox,<full site URL here>"

    >
    > Boycott the site, or turn adblock off. (it takes only a second or 2)


    Or use the PrefBar and set the UA to Internet Exploder. <g>
    It's not just the adblocker; the sites are also sniffing for Firefox
    itself.

    The aforementioned page ( http://showip.net/adblock.php ) telling you
    how to block Firefox is easily fooled by this simple method. See "User
    Agent Spoof" at: http://prefbar.mozdev.org/

    I usually have my UA set to:
    Borgzilla/31.0 (Starship Enterprise NCC-1701)
    via the "User Agent Switcher" extension.
    http://chrispederick.com/work/user-agent-switcher/

    --
    -bts
    -Motorcycles defy gravity; cars just suck
     
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Nov 10, 2007
    #6
  7. Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
    > sittingduck wrote:
    >
    >> ded wrote:
    >>> The bottomline is that the blocking of the excellent FF browser is
    >>> spreading. You could try a google search to determine if the site(s)
    >>> you are having problems with are blocking Firefox, type into seach:
    >>> "ad blocker plus,firefox,<full site URL here>"

    >>
    >> Boycott the site, or turn adblock off. (it takes only a second or 2)

    >
    > Or use the PrefBar and set the UA to Internet Exploder. <g> It's not
    > just the adblocker; the sites are also sniffing for Firefox itself.


    Rather than giving MS more numbers for the stats, I think I'd have FF
    squawk Opera. If that's still an option.


    --
    Blinky
    Killing all posts from Google Groups
    The Usenet Improvement Project - http://improve-usenet.org
     
    Blinky the Shark, Nov 10, 2007
    #7
  8. Blinky the Shark wrote:

    > Rather than giving MS more numbers for the stats, I think I'd have FF
    > squawk Opera. If that's still an option.


    Yeah. That'll work as well (for sites that are sniffing for Firefox).
    The PrefBar doesn't "come with" Opera as a standard choice, but you can
    add it to Chris' User Agent Switcher if you wish.

    Normally, I just use them for "IE-only" sites.

    --
    -bts
    -Motorcycles defy gravity; cars just suck
     
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Nov 10, 2007
    #8
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Venger
    Replies:
    10
    Views:
    1,393
    Matt O'Toole
    Dec 22, 2004
  2. History Fan
    Replies:
    36
    Views:
    2,030
    Jim Thompson
    Aug 16, 2005
  3. Home Theatre Guy

    BEst Firefox AD Blocker is ?

    Home Theatre Guy, Jun 30, 2006, in forum: Firefox
    Replies:
    20
    Views:
    17,218
    Mumia W.
    Jul 12, 2006
  4. NancyDrew

    Firefox jittery screen - not a popup blocker problem

    NancyDrew, Oct 31, 2006, in forum: General Computer Support
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    1,270
    MrElectro
    Mar 1, 2007
  5. mistuh
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    430
    mistuh
    Dec 30, 2005
Loading...

Share This Page