    hour ago since when it's all gone pear-shaped.
    Anyone any idea what's gone wrong?

    TIA
    Angus McCoatup, Apr 12, 2008

  2. Angus McCoatup wrote:

    > Yesterday morning firefox and tbird worked normally. Today neither do.

    More details are needed. What don't they do? Don't start up? Don't
    browse or send mail and posts?

    The two programs are companions, but are not physically entwined like IE
    and OE. Both should not break at the same time for the same reason.

    > IE on the same computer works fine as does firefox and tbird on this
    > computer.

    IE is a browser.

    > I've cleared the cache and checked all settings.

    Cache for what? AFAIK, Thunderbird doesn't have a "cache." What are
    "all settings?"

    > The machine was last used yesterday, switched off and turned on again
    > an hour ago since when it's all gone pear-shaped. Anyone any idea
    > what's gone wrong?

    Post details. Otherwise, any proposed solutions are just guesswork.

    --
    -bts
    -Friends don't let friends drive Vista
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Apr 12, 2008

  3. Angus McCoatup

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Sat, 12 Apr 2008 15:17:22 GMT, Angus McCoatup
    <> wrote:

    >Yesterday morning firefox and tbird worked normally. Today neither do.
    > IE on the same computer works fine as does firefox and tbird on this
    >computer.

    Huh? IE works fine as does firefox and tbird, but you said firefox and
    thunderbird doesn't work.. So which is it?
    Evan Platt, Apr 12, 2008
  4. Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
    > Angus McCoatup wrote:
    >
    >> Yesterday morning firefox and tbird worked normally. Today neither do.

    > More details are needed. What don't they do? Don't start up? Don't
    > browse or send mail and posts?
    >
    > The two programs are companions, but are not physically entwined like IE
    > and OE. Both should not break at the same time for the same reason.
    >
    >> IE on the same computer works fine as does firefox and tbird on this
    >> computer.

    > IE is a browser.
    >
    >> I've cleared the cache and checked all settings.

    > Cache for what? AFAIK, Thunderbird doesn't have a "cache." What are
    > "all settings?"
    >
    >> The machine was last used yesterday, switched off and turned on again
    >> an hour ago since when it's all gone pear-shaped. Anyone any idea
    >> what's gone wrong?

    > Post details. Otherwise, any proposed solutions are just guesswork.

    Firefox starts normally but won't access any web pages.
    IE on the same computer does access web pages as normal
    I cleared the FIREFOX cache as advised on a google search but it didn't
    help.
    Thunderbird starts normally but won't access mail or news servers, I get
    a message telling me to check the settings, which I have.
    I hadn't tried Outlook cos I don't use it but I gave it a go and it
    won't access mail or news either.
    Worked fine when last used yesterday morning, computer was switched off
    and when switched on again this afternoon...problems. Nothing has
    been added or deleted. The machine is running XP Pro.
    Angus McCoatup, Apr 12, 2008
  5. Evan Platt wrote:

    > Angus McCoatup wrote:
    >> Yesterday morning firefox and tbird worked normally. Today neither
    >> do. IE on the same computer works fine as does firefox and tbird on
    >> this computer.

    > Huh? IE works fine as does firefox and tbird, but you said firefox
    > and thunderbird doesn't work.. So which is it?

    I read that as: "IE on the *same* computer works fine as does firefox
    and tbird on *this* computer." Two computers, the broken one, and the
    one he is posting with.

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Apr 12, 2008
  6. Re: Firefox and Tbird can't access web/mailserver IE works ok noteto Evan

    Evan Platt wrote:
    > On Sat, 12 Apr 2008 15:17:22 GMT, Angus McCoatup
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> Yesterday morning firefox and tbird worked normally. Today neither do.
    >> IE on the same computer works fine as does firefox and tbird on this
    >> computer.

    > Huh? IE works fine as does firefox and tbird, but you said firefox and
    > thunderbird doesn't work.. So which is it?#

    Oops, two different computers! This one works fine as I can read and
    write to newsgroups. The one with the problems is only used for email,
    newsgroups and web browsing.
    Angus McCoatup, Apr 12, 2008
  7. Angus McCoatup wrote:

    > Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
    >> Angus McCoatup wrote:
    >>> Yesterday morning firefox and tbird worked normally. Today neither
    >>> do.

    >> More details are needed. What don't they do? Don't start up? Don't
    >> browse or send mail and posts?
    >>
    >> The two programs are companions, but are not physically entwined
    >> like IE and OE. Both should not break at the same time for the same
    >> reason.
    >>
    >>> IE on the same computer works fine as does firefox and tbird on this
    >>> computer.

    >> IE is a browser.
    >>
    >>> I've cleared the cache and checked all settings.

    >> Cache for what? AFAIK, Thunderbird doesn't have a "cache." What are
    >> "all settings?"
    >>
    >>> The machine was last used yesterday, switched off and turned on
    >>> again an hour ago since when it's all gone pear-shaped. Anyone any
    >>> idea what's gone wrong?

    >> Post details. Otherwise, any proposed solutions are just guesswork.
    >>

    > Firefox starts normally but won't access any web pages.
    > IE on the same computer does access web pages as normal

    Let's work on Firefox first. Close it. From the Start > Run command
    type: firefox.exe -ProfileManager
    and press Enter. Assuming you only have one profile, click
    "Create Profile". Go through the Wizard, naming the new one
    "Experimental" or similar.

    Close the Manager, start Firefox normally and choose the new profile.
    Does it work?

    > I cleared the FIREFOX cache as advised on a google search but it
    > didn't help. Thunderbird starts normally but won't access mail or
    > news servers, I get a message telling me to check the settings, which
    > I have.

    > I hadn't tried Outlook cos I don't use it but I gave it a go and it
    > won't access mail or news either.

    Oh, there's a clue!
    (But do you mean Outlook (OL) or Outlook Express (OE)?)

    Can you do a System Restore to yesterday?

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Apr 12, 2008
  8. Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
    > Angus McCoatup wrote:
    >
    >> Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
    >>> More details are needed. What don't they do? Don't start up? Don't
    >>> browse or send mail and posts?
    >>>
    >>> The two programs are companions, but are not physically entwined
    >>> like IE and OE. Both should not break at the same time for the same
    >>> reason.

    >>> IE is a browser.

    >>> Cache for what? AFAIK, Thunderbird doesn't have a "cache." What are
    >>> "all settings?"

    >>> Post details. Otherwise, any proposed solutions are just guesswork.
    >>>

    >> Firefox starts normally but won't access any web pages.
    >> IE on the same computer does access web pages as normal

    > Let's work on Firefox first. Close it. From the Start > Run command
    > type: firefox.exe -ProfileManager
    > and press Enter. Assuming you only have one profile, click
    > "Create Profile". Go through the Wizard, naming the new one
    > "Experimental" or similar.
    >
    > Close the Manager, start Firefox normally and choose the new profile.
    > Does it work?
    >
    >> I cleared the FIREFOX cache as advised on a google search but it
    >> didn't help. Thunderbird starts normally but won't access mail or
    >> news servers, I get a message telling me to check the settings, which
    >> I have.

    >> I hadn't tried Outlook cos I don't use it but I gave it a go and it
    >> won't access mail or news either.

    > Oh, there's a clue!
    > (But do you mean Outlook (OL) or Outlook Express (OE)?)
    >
    > Can you do a System Restore to yesterday?

    I just copied (cut and paste) the mail and news settings from
    thunderbird into outlook express. It (OE) now works fine with both news
    and mail. As IE also works it must be something to do with Tbird and
    Firefox specifically. The computer is connected to the router via
    wi-fi. I just tried the laptop which also connects to the router via
    wi-fi and both Tbird and Firefox work OK on that.
    System restore was switched off, no idea why, I turned it on but
    obviously can't do a restore, which might have worked. :(
    Angus McCoatup, Apr 12, 2008
  9. Angus McCoatup wrote:
    <biggasnip>
    > Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
    >> Can you do a System Restore to yesterday?

    > I just copied (cut and paste) the mail and news settings from
    > thunderbird into outlook express. It (OE) now works fine with both
    > news and mail. As IE also works it must be something to do with
    > Tbird and Firefox specifically. The computer is connected to the
    > router via wi-fi. I just tried the laptop which also connects to the
    > router via wi-fi and both Tbird and Firefox work OK on that.

    I still cannot think of any one thing that would tie a failure of both
    Firefox and Thunderbird together. They are separate applications.

    > System restore was switched off, no idea why, I turned it on but
    > obviously can't do a restore, which might have worked. :(

    Oh.

    Asking the obvious, have you checked any firewall to see if it is
    blocking the two apps?

    Try uninstalling, then reinstalling Firefox, or Thunderbird. One only
    first... (your mail is in the profile, not with the program)

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Apr 12, 2008
  10. Angus McCoatup

    Plato Guest

    Angus McCoatup wrote:

    > Yesterday morning firefox and tbird worked normally. Today neither do.
    > IE on the same computer works fine as does firefox and tbird on this
    > computer.
    > I've cleared the cache and checked all settings.
    > The machine was last used yesterday, switched off and turned on again an
    > hour ago since when it's all gone pear-shaped.
    > Anyone any idea what's gone wrong?

    bad sector on the HDD???

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/